Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Codes appearing instead of text

Andrew060Andrew060 Posts: 281 Member
Has anyone else had this? Have EA acknowledged it as an issue or said they're working to fix it?

It's all very well sending me an email telling me that they've re-added the Business and Athletic careers to the game (something which should have been there in the first place). But what good is it to me when the careers themselves and the jobs/divisions show as codes instead of words? You may not as well have released it at all!

ie: apparently my Sim works as a *** 6478aCD *** in the *** 6478aCD ***. As a paying consumer, what am I meant to do with that information?

I really despair with the lack of talent that appears to be in the EA/Maxis teams for TS4. Its like they're incapable of doing their jobs properly and release work that is in no way near completed.

I hope EA Management review who they have working on this game or relax the pressure they pile onto the developers as something within this organisation is resulting in a lot of errors which as a paying customer we shouldn't have to accept.

Really fed up with it.
Andrew - UK Fan and player of the Sims since the year 2000

Comments

• AkramAAkramA Posts: 2,717 Member
    Repair the game through origin that should fix it.
    I also write non sims stuff on Wattpad
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    You will need to reinstall your game.
  • Andrew060Andrew060 Posts: 281 Member
    I've repaired it but it hasn't made a difference. Not really sure I want to reinstall the game as I'll lose all my progress...!
  • JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
    You're in the Matrix!!
    I've also noticed these codes show up during the loading screens too. Where it would usually say 'Loading Llamas...' or whatever... there are now these stupid codes. I don't get it.

Is anyone else having this? Is uninstalling and re-installing really the only option if repair didn't work?
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    You need to reinstall. Its the only thing that works :disappointed: I am hoping its on the fix list but we all know theres no time frame on those.
    How annoying. I'll uninstall now then :(
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited January 2015
    I got this from the last patch. Crinrict has written something about it. I tried following her instructions to repair the game but that didn't work. You need to remove a file before repairing.

Since the file didn't get replaced for me I put the old one back and still have the problem. I didn't reinstall the game though. I decided I don't have time to reinstall after each patch and apparently the previous patch did the same thing to other people. Since my pie menus now have numbers instead of text I can't really play the game.

Edit: Here's the thread where Crinrict has given the fix instructions. It didn't work for me though.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/Info-Request-Codes-instead-of-text/td-p/3903165

• AshkevronAshkevron Posts: 579 Member
    okay it hasn't been said yet so will throw it in...have you removed all mods and started a fresh game (not a saved game) to see if this removes the numbers? I have had several mods that have done this at some point. One was a mod that changed tv channel names, another was a mod that had sims put books away. *shrugs* try it and see, sometimes the oddest problems are caused by the most simple mods.
  • Kat_Dancer01Kat_Dancer01 Posts: 1 New Member
    I have this issue too. It started after the pools update. I just ignored it because it was only limited to anything to do with pools, but now with all the new content in careers and Christmas stuff, it's happening more. I really don't want to go through the process of uninstalling/reinstalling. It's such a waste of my time (no trying to sound selfish!), but EA should really pick up their game and fix this bug. Makes me not want to play.
    edited January 2015
    I dont use mods so that wasnt the issue. I did the reinstall and although it took ages it did fix the problem. Always great having to do extra unessecery work because EA cant do what they're paid to do properly.
  • AlmaMMAlmaMM Posts: 200 Member
    Andrew060 wrote: »
    I dont use mods so that wasnt the issue. I did the reinstall and although it took ages it did fix the problem. Always great having to do extra unessecery work because EA cant do what they're paid to do properly.

Doesn't the fact, that the problem only occured for you, imply that the root of the problem could have come from your computer instead of it coming from EA? (even if not in the form of mods or something)
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    AlmaMM wrote: »

Doesn't the fact, that the problem only occured for you, imply that the root of the problem could have come from your computer instead of it coming from EA? (even if not in the form of mods or something)

Maxis devs have said that they've isolated the problem and a fix will be out. So they've basically acknowledged that it's not our computers: it's something, it seems, that goes wrong in the update process for some people.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • DolliemixtureDolliemixture Posts: 6 New Member
    My game is the same, i just post a new thread, as i hadnt seen this one! Its a real pain, the new careers are useless at the moment, i cant read the jobs details! :neutral_face:
    AlmaMM wrote: »

The fact others have had the same issue proves it is EA.
  • hannahnaomi1990hannahnaomi1990 Posts: 4 New Member
    I have the same issue. Looks like the The Sims 4 is going to follow in the footsteps of The Sims 3. Disappointing. I agree with Andrew060, EA/Maxis really need to improve the quality of the game. All the glitches and technical issues that arise in The Sims games really do ruin the game and is the only game iv ever played that have so many!
  • hannahnaomi1990hannahnaomi1990 Posts: 4 New Member
    I have worked out a way to fix the problem with codes appearing instead of text. Its a bit tedious but if you go into mydocuments>thesims4 you will see a folder labelled 'saves'. Move this folder (don't copy it) to your desktop. Uninstall the game. Reinstall the game. Then go back to mydocuments>thesims4 and replace the new 'saves' folder with the one moved to your desktop. Then continue gameplay :) hope this helps
  • MightySparksMightySparks Posts: 80 Member
    I can't reinstall the game because my download files were deleted after installing and I don't have fast enough internet/enough bandwidth to download it again, so I haven't been able to play since the December 16th patch. It's getting really frustrating and I hope they release a patch soon :(
  • superficomansuperficoman Posts: 4 New Member
    and here we go again, outdoor retreat installed and gibberish codes everywhere!
    it's the fourth time i have to reinstall everything just to get a 900kb file!
    Couldn't they upload it here so they can fix THEIR mistakes? Nope, not even a word
  • Linds_the_kittyLinds_the_kitty Posts: 565 Member
    Has anyone else had this? Have EA acknowledged it as an issue or said they're working to fix it?

It's all very well sending me an email telling me that they've re-added the Business and Athletic careers to the game (something which should have been there in the first place). But what good is it to me when the careers themselves and the jobs/divisions show as codes instead of words? You may not as well have released it at all!

ie: apparently my Sim works as a *** 6478aCD *** in the *** 6478aCD ***. As a paying consumer, what am I meant to do with that information?

I really despair with the lack of talent that appears to be in the EA/Maxis teams for TS4. Its like they're incapable of doing their jobs properly and release work that is in no way near completed.

I hope EA Management review who they have working on this game or relax the pressure they pile onto the developers as something within this organisation is resulting in a lot of errors which as a paying customer we shouldn't have to accept.

Really fed up with it.

Uninstall and then reinstall. It won't erase any data or anything from the game. :)

• superficomansuperficoman Posts: 4 New Member
    reinstall changed nothing
    sims4 Strings_ENG_US.package 08/01/2015 887kb
    gp01 Strings_ENG_US.package 15/12/2014 38kb
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited January 2015
    reinstall changed nothing
    sims4 Strings_ENG_US.package 08/01/2015 887kb
    gp01 Strings_ENG_US.package 15/12/2014 38kb

I think someone's posted that file out there somewhere. But it's been rare that reinstalling doesn't get rid of the code!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.