Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Most disappointing game of 2014

Comments

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    munchie885 wrote: »
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    ASDF0716 wrote: »
    If Sims 4 represents the best we can expect from Maxis, then, please, no Sims 5.

Agreed, let it die with at least a little dignity.

Oh by dignity do you mean angry poops!?

completely off topic, but, I've been watching through VH1's "I Love The..." series. I started at 1980 a couple of weeks ago and as of today, I was up to 2005. In 2004, they had a whole segment on Mean Girls and "so fetch".

I couldn't stop laughing.

YAAAAS!!! Mean Girl FTW! So Fetch is one of the most iconic phrases ever! Heaven knows why it wasn't the motto for TS4. People would actually want to buy this game...

I'd've been okay with: "Smarter Sims. Better Stories." or even "Smarter Sims. Weirder Stories."

If only any of that were true.

If it wasn't for that lie no one would have picked up the game :(
    If Sims 4 represents the best we can expect from Maxis, then, please, no Sims 5.

No munchie!! No angry poops!! :s

Angry poops are the games key feature! My favorite part is when my sims are charged to take an angry poop.

No munchie!! Just no!! I don't like the key features in 4..they all stink, especially angry poops!

Lol i'm surprised you don't have to enter a credit card number before your sims can use the toilet.

OMG! Our newest in game feature will be using real money to buy things instead of simoleons! You want that virtual tv for 299 Simoleons? Then you need to pay up $314 bucks due to conversion rates :(

Welcome to the future of sims :'(
  • BayalynnBayalynn Posts: 67 Member
    Terrylin wrote: »
    Mebrilia wrote: »
    sadly i don't have high hope for this game... Outside of this forum many people and even many many simmers thinks that the sims will die after the release of four... I don't have hope at all.. the game is just limited by base... this mean amazing features are not going to come back... Open world and many others...

What concerns me most is the totally lack of the team to understand why this series was so acclaimed... No answer for them...then... "Hey look we are going to release the first game pack... with new worlds (if a flash game like map with 10 lots can be called.. a world...) for only 20 dollars!"

No thanks.... If you want me interested and you want i spend my money make a proper sim sequel... And not a sort of overdrama dolls simulator...

Sorry if i seem rude here... But i think people should take what they deserves... and with the sims 4 they don't deserve nothing... Releasing a product for full price with the contents of a demo and then asking people to pay more to have some content can't be acceptable....not even for EA

I have no problem with the release of new content but I doubt I'll invest in it simply because I don't think it will change the problems I have with TS4. If I liked the game enough 20.00 doesn't seem like a bad price. I think it will just add more stuff to collect, more linear play, new items and you'll just do it in a different neighborhood.

Well about the linear tasks i heard that they have removed them, it least i heard i didn't play the Sims 4 since the Pool Update so i can only tell you what i heard about the new Patch, they removed it so it seems.

Here if you are interested

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13118180#Comment_13118180

No from what I understand they didn't remove them to make things a sandbox-they've fiddled with things so a lot of people are annoyed it was changed and it wasn't enough for others. They didn't create more options as was most commonly asked for.

I've been reading the things people posted about it and it seems like instead of making it more playable the results just ticked off a lot of people that were happy/basically satisfied with the game.

I was happier with the game when it first came out than I am now after all the updates. There was a huge cry that the careers and aspirations were to linear when the game first came out if you will remember. It contributed to some of the us and them feelings we have now. While I like the original tasks, we finally agreed that options would work for all around. I believe a Guru came on also. With the careers patch they did indeed change the goals for careers and aspirations. They made the daily tasks take forever and the goals all getting # of skills. :\
    Example: Business career, daily task is to write reports it takes 3 sim hours to write, learn # charisma & # logic skill. I am no fan of having to have friends for their careers but I will take that over my sim spending hours talking to the mirror just to get 1 charisma skill. With work being 9-5 and 3 hours to do daily task when are they supposed to have time to enjoy life or meet a spouse? The tasks before while linear were quicker to complete, more interesting and less repetitive and redundant. :\

What irks me even more is there is no way that I can go back to just the plain ole basic game without the patches. The patches are mandatory to play the game. Which I don't understand at all. Again no choices or options. :\

Ps yes I do know that I can turn off updates but if you plan on adding any GP, SP or EP to your game it will update whether you want it to or not.

Agreed, if they were not going to give us more options, then they should have just let it be. It has only upset those who liked it, and did nothing to make those who don't want linear task oriented game play, want to play it. What a complete waste of time.

Yeah they just ook the "easy" route in fixing it, and I don't even think they did a good job in that department. If they want to do something worthwhile: Options for ALL playstyles should be added to the game, but I suppose that is asking too much.
  • munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member

completely off topic, but, I've been watching through VH1's "I Love The..." series. I started at 1980 a couple of weeks ago and as of today, I was up to 2005. In 2004, they had a whole segment on Mean Girls and "so fetch".

YAAAAS!!! Mean Girl FTW! So Fetch is one of the most iconic phrases ever! Heaven knows why it wasn't the motto for TS4. People would actually want to buy this game...

I'd've been okay with: "Smarter Sims. Better Stories." or even "Smarter Sims. Weirder Stories."

Angry poops are the games key feature! My favorite part is when my sims are charged to take an angry poop.

No munchie!! Just no!! I don't like the key features in 4..they all stink, especially angry poops!

Lol i'm surprised you don't have to enter a credit card number before your sims can use the toilet.

OMG! Our newest in game feature will be using real money to buy things instead of simoleons! You want that virtual tv for 299 Simoleons? Then you need to pay up $314 bucks due to conversion rates :(

TS5: Too Tactile and Too Innovative :(
    Bayalynn wrote: »
    Terrylin wrote: »
    sadly i don't have high hope for this game... Outside of this forum many people and even many many simmers thinks that the sims will die after the release of four... I don't have hope at all.. the game is just limited by base... this mean amazing features are not going to come back... Open world and many others...

What concerns me most is the totally lack of the team to understand why this series was so acclaimed... No answer for them...then... "Hey look we are going to release the first game pack... with new worlds (if a flash game like map with 10 lots can be called.. a world...) for only 20 dollars!"

No thanks.... If you want me interested and you want i spend my money make a proper sim sequel... And not a sort of overdrama dolls simulator...

Sorry if i seem rude here... But i think people should take what they deserves... and with the sims 4 they don't deserve nothing... Releasing a product for full price with the contents of a demo and then asking people to pay more to have some content can't be acceptable....not even for EA

I have no problem with the release of new content but I doubt I'll invest in it simply because I don't think it will change the problems I have with TS4. If I liked the game enough 20.00 doesn't seem like a bad price. I think it will just add more stuff to collect, more linear play, new items and you'll just do it in a different neighborhood.

Well about the linear tasks i heard that they have removed them, it least i heard i didn't play the Sims 4 since the Pool Update so i can only tell you what i heard about the new Patch, they removed it so it seems.

Here if you are interested

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13118180#Comment_13118180

No from what I understand they didn't remove them to make things a sandbox-they've fiddled with things so a lot of people are annoyed it was changed and it wasn't enough for others. They didn't create more options as was most commonly asked for.

I've been reading the things people posted about it and it seems like instead of making it more playable the results just ticked off a lot of people that were happy/basically satisfied with the game.

I was happier with the game when it first came out than I am now after all the updates. There was a huge cry that the careers and aspirations were to linear when the game first came out if you will remember. It contributed to some of the us and them feelings we have now. While I like the original tasks, we finally agreed that options would work for all around. I believe a Guru came on also. With the careers patch they did indeed change the goals for careers and aspirations. They made the daily tasks take forever and the goals all getting # of skills. :\
    Example: Business career, daily task is to write reports it takes 3 sim hours to write, learn # charisma & # logic skill. I am no fan of having to have friends for their careers but I will take that over my sim spending hours talking to the mirror just to get 1 charisma skill. With work being 9-5 and 3 hours to do daily task when are they supposed to have time to enjoy life or meet a spouse? The tasks before while linear were quicker to complete, more interesting and less repetitive and redundant. :\

What irks me even more is there is no way that I can go back to just the plain ole basic game without the patches. The patches are mandatory to play the game. Which I don't understand at all. Again no choices or options. :\

Ps yes I do know that I can turn off updates but if you plan on adding any GP, SP or EP to your game it will update whether you want it to or not.

Agreed, if they were not going to give us more options, then they should have just let it be. It has only upset those who liked it, and did nothing to make those who don't want linear task oriented game play, want to play it. What a complete waste of time.

Yeah they just ook the "easy" route in fixing it, and I don't even think they did a good job in that department. If they want to do something worthwhile: Options for ALL playstyles should be added to the game, but I suppose that is asking too much.

Indeed they tried to do "just enough" to try to coax people into thinking it was better. But it is not. They haven't done a good job on any of the stuff they have released in patches. It is ALL rushed and cheapened.

You forgot to expensive :(

*blows cobwebs out of wallet*
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I was one of those people who was wary of Sims 4 at first, because, well, no toddlers or pools, lol. But then I decided to buy it and give it a try and see if I could overcome those two missing factors. (I was willing to deal with loading screens, because I'm used to them in Sims 2. But I didn't realize how many loading screens there were, though!)

I still liked it, but the biggest problem (besides lack of toddlers and family tree) was the linear gameplay. I enjoyed goals/wishes in the previous games, but I didn't have to do them in such a specific manner (especially after this recent Sims 4 patch). I think that killed my interest more than anything.

Someone mentioned the graphics. Well, I didn't have too much of a problem with the graphics. I love cartoons and animated features, so I was used to stylized cartoon-y looks.

However, like someone said before, it would have been amazing with GTA graphics! :) Can you imagine! I'll be willing to upgrade my video card for that kind of look. :smiley: Or even with the children using the looks of that awesome mod, "RS Children Overhaul" by Ranaline (but with more expression, of course), and the adults looking like the ones in the other Skyrim mod, "Inhabitants of Skyrim - NPC Overhaul" by Rops1981. I love those mods. :) Sure, they're a little doll-like, but at least they would look slightly more "realistic"-ish.

Still, even if the graphics were that intense, the gameplay definitely needs adjusting. Or, at least, some more variety of options. Even though I play non-aging families, I would still like some family trees--to avoid incest--and toddlers, of course, for expanded family gameplay.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    I was one of those people who was wary of Sims 4 at first, because, well, no toddlers or pools, lol. But then I decided to buy it and give it a try and see if I could overcome those two missing factors. (I was willing to deal with loading screens, because I'm used to them in Sims 2. But I didn't realize how many loading screens there were, though!) <br />
    <br />
    I still liked it, but the biggest problem (besides lack of toddlers and family tree) was the linear gameplay. I enjoyed goals/wishes in the previous games, but I didn't have to do them in such a specific manner (especially after this recent Sims 4 patch). I think that killed my interest more than anything.<br />
    <br />
    Someone mentioned the graphics. Well, I didn't have too much of a problem with the graphics. I love cartoons and animated features, so I was used to stylized cartoon-y looks. <br />
    <br />
    However, like someone said before, it would have been amazing with GTA graphics! :) Can you imagine! I'll be willing to upgrade my video card for that kind of look. :smiley: Or even with the children using the looks of that awesome mod, "RS Children Overhaul" by Ranaline (but with more expression, of course), and the adults looking like the ones in the other Skyrim mod, "Inhabitants of Skyrim - NPC Overhaul" by Rops1981. I love those mods. :) Sure, they're a little doll-like, but at least they would look slightly more "realistic"-ish. <br />
    <br />
    Still, even if the graphics were that intense, the gameplay definitely needs adjusting. Or, at least, some more variety of options. Even though I play non-aging families, I would still like some family trees--to avoid incest--and toddlers, of course, for expanded family gameplay.

I'm actually in the camp of people that really like the graphics. I'm not too wild about quite a bit of the animations and the juvenile humor they seem to be shooting for, but, I'll be the first one to stand in line to say that I think this is the best looking Sims yet- to me, anyway. It's the rest of it that bothers me.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    > @ASDF0716 said: "I'm actually in the camp of people that really like the graphics. I'm not too wild about quite a bit of the animations and the juvenile humor they seem to be shooting for, but, I'll be the first one to stand in line to say that I think this is the best looking Sims yet- to me, anyway. It's the rest of it that bothers me."

Yeah, I actually think they look really decent, especially compared to some of my vanilla Sims 1, Sims 2 and Sims 3 sims. :) I prefer some of the Sims 4 males over some Sims 3 males, for sure. (Without mods/CCs/sliders).
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    mortia wrote: »
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Sims 4 is fast because is a game with little no content... This argument is not even an argument... If i take a old Computer and i run skyrim on it it will lag like hell... But with the same computer if i load a map that is a total empty room skyrim won't lag... and why even if i have an old computer? Because that zone is empty....Same happens here.. Sims 4 have bad quality texture... Little no content...And in that add you have even to load if you visit an home in front of you... Yes is quick for sure!

Sims 3 laggy? of course yes.... try to install some of Nraas mods and the lag will vanish... Overwatch..Error trap... Make sure also to merge your packaged with s3pe and it will work like a charm....

Justify the sims 4 shallowness with "but it's fluid..." is not enough question is: does the sims 4 base have the feature that sims 3 had? No of course not... think about it for a moment...

Also stop acting like the pool was a sort of gift because is not...they were present in the sims 3 base game so they had to be also in sims 4

Is like if you buy a cake and when you go home and open the box you find it empty.. Then you return to the store and complain and the storekeeper say: "Ha yes the box is shiny though but don't worry you can have this tiny cake piece for free.."

Is not a gift at all people spended real money for a cake but instead they got an empty box and a cake tiny piece after..

And after the same storekeeper say: "you know what i will give you another piece of the cake but you have to pay 20 dollars this time"

Hi there! Person with knowledge, could you give me some?
    How do you merge your packaged with s3pe? :D

I don't even know what that means but I'd like to know too please. :)

Same here *raises hand*

If you have a lot of Custom Content in TS3, it can cause your game to load slowly. You can fix that by combining .package files with S3PE [the Sims 3 Package editor].

You can get s3pe here: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denforum/index.php?board=19.0

And follow this tutorial by aikea_guinea: http://club-crimsyn.dreamwidth.org/28336.html?#cutid1

• htairchix3htairchix3 Posts: 875 Member

Hi @JULES1111, How are you? I miss reading your comments. So glad to see you back. Happy New Year's... ;)
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of that. I don't think the programming for this game is "weak" though. I think it is "safe". Their goal was to create a game that would run well on all machines from low end to high end. They achieved that goal but at the expense of creativity and functionality.
    Maybe the code is more robust but if EA did it right by removing that many things and dumbing a new game down so it runs on older machines - then Rockstar had made a huge mistake - in another world. Reality shows Sims 4 is received as one of the worst games of 2014 while GTA V made over a billion dollars and will very likely make another billion once it's released for PC at the end of January.
    GTA V is an M rated game meant for people who are old enough to buy their own gaming computer. The Sims 4 is a T rated game meant for parents to buy as a birthday present to 13 years old teens who aren't expected to have expensive gaming computers. Therefore EA wants the Sims 4 to have very low minimum requirements while Rockstar cares a lot less about such things.

I doubt it. Just because something is appropriate for teens (the T rating) doesn't mean it is just for teens. In fact, if they were smart, they'd be going after the adults with the decent gaming machines as we're the ones who are going to pump money into games we like.

*sigh* I just bought a new graphics card to play DAI on much higher settings. Worth every penny. I'll buy all their DLC unless the first couple are bad.

Sims 4? Meh. I'll wait for a sale, if I buy at all. The loading screens issues have got to be taken care of before I'll even consider it.

• DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    Graphics are 'good enough'. But not good enough to make up for all the other issues.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    Schweighsr wrote: »
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Sims 4 is fast because is a game with little no content... This argument is not even an argument... If i take a old Computer and i run skyrim on it it will lag like hell... But with the same computer if i load a map that is a total empty room skyrim won't lag... and why even if i have an old computer? Because that zone is empty....Same happens here.. Sims 4 have bad quality texture... Little no content...And in that add you have even to load if you visit an home in front of you... Yes is quick for sure!

Sims 3 laggy? of course yes.... try to install some of Nraas mods and the lag will vanish... Overwatch..Error trap... Make sure also to merge your packaged with s3pe and it will work like a charm....

Justify the sims 4 shallowness with "but it's fluid..." is not enough question is: does the sims 4 base have the feature that sims 3 had? No of course not... think about it for a moment...

Also stop acting like the pool was a sort of gift because is not...they were present in the sims 3 base game so they had to be also in sims 4

Is like if you buy a cake and when you go home and open the box you find it empty.. Then you return to the store and complain and the storekeeper say: "Ha yes the box is shiny though but don't worry you can have this tiny cake piece for free.."

Is not a gift at all people spended real money for a cake but instead they got an empty box and a cake tiny piece after..

And after the same storekeeper say: "you know what i will give you another piece of the cake but you have to pay 20 dollars this time"

Hi there! Person with knowledge, could you give me some?
    How do you merge your packaged with s3pe? :D

I don't even know what that means but I'd like to know too please. :)

Same here *raises hand*

If you have a lot of Custom Content in TS3, it can cause your game to load slowly. You can fix that by combining .package files with S3PE [the Sims 3 Package editor].

You can get s3pe here: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denforum/index.php?board=19.0

And follow this tutorial by aikea_guinea: http://club-crimsyn.dreamwidth.org/28336.html?#cutid1

Thanks! I'll have to try this out.
    htairchix3 wrote: »

Hi @JULES1111, How are you? I miss reading your comments. So glad to see you back. Happy New Year's... ;)

Hello there! I am fine thanks, how have you been? Ya iv'e been lurking and popping into a couple threads once they brought pm's back. Thanks! Happy new year to you!

On topic, this game will be on the most disappointing games of this century list. It will win the coveted angry poop statue. Grats EA! :|

I'm actually in the camp of people that really like the graphics. I'm not too wild about quite a bit of the animations and the juvenile humor they seem to be shooting for, but, I'll be the first one to stand in line to say that I think this is the best looking Sims yet- to me, anyway. It's the rest of it that bothers me.

I quite like them as well. It's very stylized but I actually think they look pretty polished. The neon pink trees can take a walk and thanks to those backdrops I have no idea how they will implement weather much less CAW, but the little details in the world are pretty nice overall, and I love the look of the Sims. I will admit that I hated them when I saw the first art coming out over a year ago though.

It seems to be pretty polarizing.

• sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I'm happy to accept the visuals (even though the pink trees remind me too much of Katy perry sweet treats the only pack I avoided like the plague in sims 3!) but if the missing areas of family play are implemented I can look past stuff like that :smile:
    I'm happy to accept the visuals (even though the pink trees remind me too much of Katy perry sweet treats the only pack I avoided like the plague in sims 3!) but if the missing areas of family play are implemented I can look past stuff like that :smile:

Oh yeah, until the gameplay elements that actually make the game feel complete are back, it doesn't matter how pretty it is. It's still empty. But you know...the more time I spend in the game, the more I think that not even toddlers can save it. It's just so dull. I really am not sure that there are enough EP's in the world that can make up for the lack of soul the game has currently.
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member

Oh yeah, until the gameplay elements that actually make the game feel complete are back, it doesn't matter how pretty it is. It's still empty. But you know...the more time I spend in the game, the more I think that not even toddlers can save it. It's just so dull. I really am not sure that there are enough EP's in the world that can make up for the lack of soul the game has currently.
    This is pretty much how I feel.

He/Him
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I don't know how many parents, particularly the one's who do not game, would be willing to spend this kind of money on a game for their kid. They are probably OK with the initial game cost, but add in all of the rest. That adds up to a lot. Think of Sims 3.

I think they must be seeing the feedback so I'm hoping that will remedy a lot of that. I just hope they are given a sufficient budget to be able to recapture the elements that made the sims special for all sorts of customers, it's not just family players who feel a disconnect from sims4 so far. We will see and can only hope the feedback works out some of the issues that were perhaps overlooked :smile:
  • TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member

I too have no issue with the looks of the game. I do agree the bright pink/purple trees remind me of Into the Future but I candela. The loading screens don't bother me one bit either(thanks to TS2). The game runs smooth with very few issues on my computer. The whole concept is good it is just the gameplay and Family that is really lacking. And you know my feelings on the New an Improved careers/aspirations. ;)

I think they must be seeing the feedback so I'm hoping that will remedy a lot of that. I just hope they are given a sufficient budget to be able to recapture the elements that made the sims special for all sorts of customers, it's not just family players who feel a disconnect from sims4 so far. We will see and can only hope the feedback works out some of the issues that were perhaps overlooked :smile:

^This is what I hope for and this is why I continue to visit the forums every day :smile:

^This is what I hope for and this is why I continue to visit the forums every day :smile:

I know, that's why most of us are here contrary to many others assumptions on motives :smile:
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited January 2015

I got the limited edition of the KPSP for free. That is the only reason I have it. It is way too kiddy for me. It is really kind of a useless pack. You could maybe decorate a kids room or make some kind of a recreational park, but that's about it. I have seen a couple of nice houses using it. My imagination just can't get into that. If you are going to try to attract the young a Harry Potter stuff pack would have been a lot better.

It took me over a year to install it. And I swore that if a sims dared to show up in the cupcake bra and the cotton candy hair they were being introduced to the cow plant. I hope to God they don't try to repeat this with some other celebrity endorsement. It was OK in sims 1 because the celebrities were not intrusive.

Katlyn2525 wrote: »

I got the limited edition of the KPSP for free. That is the only reason I have it. It is way to kiddy for me. It is really kind of a useless pack. You could maybe decorate a kids room or make some kind of a recreational park, but that's about it. I have seen a couple of nice houses using it. My imagination just can't get into that. If you are going to try to attract the young a Harry Potter stuff pack would have been a lot better.

It took me over a year to install it. And I swore that if a sims dared to show up in the cupcake bra and the cotton candy hair, they were being introduced to the cow plant. I hope to God they don't try to repeat this with some other celebrity endorsement. It was OK in sims 1 because the celebrities were not intrusive.

Haha that's is exactly why I was like 'ummm no'. Especially the bolded part :wink:

I agree, in sims 1 the celebrities weren't too in your face. Being from the UK and young I actually didn't know who a couple were at the time anyway :wink:
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top