Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will the family tree be intact when I move to another town?

I want to build up a save with my own Family Tree and I'm starting at Bridgeport and eventually want to move the decendants of my current sim to another town to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

When I someone, say the son or daughter to another town will the family tree be intact? And what would happen the family/sims left behind? Would they still be playable?

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    They lose all relations to Sims in the old neighborhood. Now I believe if you use NRAAS the Travel Mod, you get to keep any relations with other sims.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler
  • Speedster159Speedster159 Posts: 36 New Member
    > @lisasc360 said:
    > They lose all relations to Sims in the old neighborhood. Now I believe if you use NRAAS the Travel Mod, you get to keep any relations with other sims.
    >
    So it may or may not keep relationships?
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2014
    With mods it's possible, @izagor knows all about that.
    Without mods it's only possible when you put all family members in one household (8 max, don't forget putting the urns of dead relatives into the inventory) and save them to the bin. Open the new world and put your family in. When there are sims with a rabbithole career like fireman or film director don't forget to put in that rabbithole into the world first. Otherwise the sim won't have a job anymore.

Once the family is in the world you can move everyone to other houses.
    There is no connection possible with other worlds without mods (except the WA worlds, the campus and Oasis Springs of course).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    > @lisasc360 said:<br />
    > They lose all relations to Sims in the old neighborhood. Now I believe if you use NRAAS the Travel Mod, you get to keep any relations with other sims.<br />
    > <br />
    Er, there is no may or may not.

In an umodded game, moving to a new world the EA way is essentially the same as making copies of your sims and starting over. They won't have any relationships with those left behind and their former world is no longer part of your game -- it's just gone. You can maintain two (or more) separate saves and play each forward independently of each other, but that doesn't sound like what you (and most players) really want.

When moving to a new world the NRaas Traveler way, your sims maintain their histories and relationships with those left behind, you can return travel to visit them on a vacation, invite them to come visit you, switch play back to the world they came from if you want, and pull other sims into your new world permanently with MasterController. Both worlds stay in your saved game folder, but only one can be active and progress at a time.

I'm currently carrying 14 worlds in my save folder. "My" sims live in 5 of them that I play in rotation; the others are Uni, the WA worlds, and other vacation destinations that they have visited in the past and in some cases have vacation homes. Sounds scary at first, but again only one world can be loaded into RAM for active play at a time. The others are all in states of suspended animation until I return to play them or vacation some sims there. There is no way my overly fertile sims could all live in one world without everyone in town being closely related to one another after a few generations. :)

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler+FAQ

Note that our ErrorTrap and Overwatch mods are highly recommended additions for those choosing to play this way. Traveling and moving worlds is very jarring to the game and without some extra protection can goof things up far too easily.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    > @lisasc360 said:<br />
    > They lose all relations to Sims in the old neighborhood. Now I believe if you use NRAAS the Travel Mod, you get to keep any relations with other sims.<br />
    > <br />
    Er, there is no may or may not.

In an umodded game, moving to a new world the EA way is essentially the same as making copies of your sims and starting over. They won't have any relationships with those left behind and their former world is no longer part of your game -- it's just gone. You can maintain two (or more) separate saves and play each forward independently of each other, but that doesn't sound like what you (and most players) really want.

When moving to a new world the NRaas Traveler way, your sims maintain their histories and relationships with those left behind, you can return travel to visit them on a vacation, invite them to come visit you, switch play back to the world they came from if you want, and pull other sims into your new world permanently with MasterController. Both worlds stay in your saved game folder, but only one can be active and progress at a time.

I'm currently carrying 14 worlds in my save folder. "My" sims live in 5 of them that I play in rotation; the others are Uni, the WA worlds, and other vacation destinations that they have visited in the past and in some cases have vacation homes. Sounds scary at first, but again only one world can be loaded into RAM for active play at a time. The others are all in states of suspended animation until I return to play them or vacation some sims there. There is no way my overly fertile sims could all live in one world without everyone in town being closely related to one another after a few generations. :)

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler+FAQ

Note that our ErrorTrap and Overwatch mods are highly recommended additions for those choosing to play this way. Traveling and moving worlds is very jarring to the game and without some extra protection can goof things up far too easily.

Wow, that's a lot... :p

(I meant @igazor :# )
    5JZ57S6.png
    Most "normal" players (whatever that means) would have 14 separate games going I suppose. But no, some of us have to be different and make it all in one with story lines crossing over continuously. Family reunions where everyone gets together with their nieces, nephews, first and second cousins and more distant relations all settled and leading lives in other worlds are the most fun for me!
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    (I meant @igazor :# )
    Now we can't blame your (usually flawless) English for that one since igazor is not really a "word" in any language I know. :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Speedster159Speedster159 Posts: 36 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > Speedster159 wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    > Er, there is no may or may not.
    >
    > In an umodded game, moving to a new world the EA way is essentially the same as making copies of your sims and starting over. They won't have any relationships with those left behind and their former world is no longer part of your game -- it's just gone. You can maintain two (or more) separate saves and play each forward independently of each other, but that doesn't sound like what you (and most players) really want.
    >
    > When moving to a new world the NRaas Traveler way, your sims maintain their histories and relationships with those left behind, you can return travel to visit them on a vacation, invite them to come visit you, switch play back to the world they came from if you want, and pull other sims into your new world permanently with MasterController. Both worlds stay in your saved game folder, but only one can be active and progress at a time.
    >
    > I'm currently carrying 14 worlds in my save folder. "My" sims live in 5 of them that I play in rotation; the others are Uni, the WA worlds, and other vacation destinations that they have visited in the past and in some cases have vacation homes. Sounds scary at first, but again only one world can be loaded into RAM for active play at a time. The others are all in states of suspended animation until I return to play them or vacation some sims there. There is no way my overly fertile sims could all live in one world without everyone in town being closely related to one another after a few generations.
    >
    > [LinkWasHere]
    >
    > Note that our ErrorTrap and Overwatch mods are highly recommended additions for those choosing to play this way. Traveling and moving worlds is very jarring to the game and without some extra protection can goof things up far too easily.

This is pretty much how I want to play my game and now I'm looking at all the nraas mods I would be needing.
  • venusdemilosimsvenusdemilosims Posts: 1,918 Member
    edited December 2014
    @igazor that is something I would love to do, but unfortunately I haven't the skill to do so, lol.
    Right now I have a sim from Sunset Valley engaged to someone he met in Hidden Springs while the family was living there. I would love to move him and his fiancee back to Hidden Springs to live after the wedding, but maintain his relations with his family in Sunset Valley.
    jpnbanner2_zpscb7d2475.jpg header_zps436f0053.jpg

@venusdemilosims - Now to be fair, I didn't sit down one day and say, "I think I'll play 14 worlds all in one game." This all just sort of evolved over the years. As the 2 adult children from Generation 2 began to age, I looked at the 16 kids (and by then some partnered up YA grandkids already) they spawned and started calculating out how long it would take to fill every square inch of map space with my own sims and their residences at that rate. The answer was not very long, so first one sibling branched out from Riverview to Twinbrook and sent for his brother and family to joint them. Then, a bit later, another left the nest for Bridgeport...etc. The fact they could vacation in other worlds I always wanted to try playing just kept me engaged in that one game save -- and still does.

If you want to give Traveler a whirl, try it out and vacation your sims to Hidden Springs. It will be a fresh version of that world as I take it you weren't using the mod previously, and presumably with the original copy of your sim's finacee still in it (you'll have to get rid of the duplicate if they were an original sim that came with that world) and return home to SV after a few sim days. If you hate it, you can revert to a prior save or just get rid of Traveler and the extra world file and play forward. But if you like it, on the second trip follow the procedure outlined in the FAQ page above to move there permanently and voila, you now have a system of 2 worlds in your game. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • venusdemilosimsvenusdemilosims Posts: 1,918 Member
    Thanks @igazor I did download Traveler a few weeks ago and have been giving it a spin. I'm not too familiar with all the options available with it.
    My main Sim has 7 kids total, 2 adopted and 5 biological. Three of those 5 biological children, including this young man, plus both of the adopted kids, are now college graduated young adults. That's a lot of potential people, plus there are other relatives in town as well. In addition, her younger brother also has a child, who is a teenager. I would guesstimate that half of the town now consists of members of this family. These sims breed like rabbits. One of the adopted kids has already had a baby through story progression.

jpnbanner2_zpscb7d2475.jpg header_zps436f0053.jpg

• MiyacaMiyaca Posts: 576 Member
    Just a question. would the new world be laggy like the old one? you did mention using the same save file. since one of the reason people switch worlds is because of the lag caused by neighborhoods being played for too long would it make any difference?
    edited December 2014
    Miyaca wrote: »
    Just a question. would the new world be laggy like the old one? you did mention using the same save file. since one of the reason people switch worlds is because of the lag caused by neighborhoods being played for too long would it make any difference?
    A good question, but not an easy one to answer unfortunately.

There are literally hundreds of different causes of lag/stutter in this game. Some are hardware related; others from bad custom content, game bugs, or mods; yet more from worlds that are overpopulated, clogged with too many things that can cause the game engine to balk and slow down, too many routing issues with the world map, etc. Here is the NRaas version (but not entirely mod related) of things you can do to improve game performance:
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+For+Better+Game+Performance

Moving to a fresh world via Traveler within the same game save will be a lot like starting a new game in the sense of performance, except your own sims' histories, relationships, experiences, and family trees come along into it. If the original problem was specific to the original world, then you will have left the problem behind until you play there again. If it was caused by hardware issues, mod conflicts, or the inability for your game to process a progressed, mature world, then it will follow you over or creep up on you again later in your newer world. But that would happen if you just started a fresh game with brand new sims as well.

The old town's nhd file, although within the same save folder, is not loaded into memory when you play the new town. It just comes along for the ride into Current Game when you startup and gets copied back again at each save. The TS3 program doesn't actually do much with it other than query for information when tourists are spawned, the player pulls more sims in from it, or history is asked for. Even much of that information is kept in the TravelDB file after the first time it is asked for, and that one doesn't get loaded into memory (RAM) either. And, of course, the nhd is always there standing by to travel back to if ever desired.

I usually vacation my sims to a new world first to see how it plays before deciding whether I want them to move there permanently or not. Isla Paradiso is a perfect example. For all the reputation it has for being a broken world (and it is, in some ways), I found it easy to fix while my sims were vacationing there and would be perfectly happy to have some of them move there...though if I spread my sims out any further at this point, I'll need another whole computer just to keep track of them all. :)

Edit: Yikes, that was a long response! Sorry, didn't really mean to write a whole book there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    A good question, but not an easy one to answer unfortunately.

There are literally hundreds of different causes of lag/stutter in this game. Some are hardware related; others from bad custom content, game bugs, or mods; yet more from worlds that are overpopulated, clogged with too many things that can cause the game engine to balk and slow down, too many routing issues with the world map, etc. Here is the NRaas version (but not entirely mod related) of things you can do to improve game performance:
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+For+Better+Game+Performance

Moving to a fresh world via Traveler within the same game save will be a lot like starting a new game in the sense of performance, except your own sims' histories, relationships, experiences, and family trees come along into it. If the original problem was specific to the original world, then you will have left the problem behind until you play there again. If it was caused by hardware issues, mod conflicts, or the inability for your game to process a progressed, mature world, then it will follow you over or creep up on you again later in your newer world. But that would happen if you just started a fresh game with brand new sims as well.

The old town's nhd file, although within the same save folder, is not loaded into memory when you play the new town. It just comes along for the ride into Current Game when you startup and gets copied back again at each save. The TS3 program doesn't actually do much with it other than query for information when tourists are spawned, the player pulls more sims in from it, or history is asked for. Even much of that information is kept in the TravelDB file after the first time it is asked for, and that one doesn't get loaded into memory (RAM) either. And, of course, the nhd is always there standing by to travel back to if ever desired.

I usually vacation my sims to a new world first to see how it plays before deciding whether I want them to move there permanently or not. Isla Paradiso is a perfect example. For all the reputation it has for being a broken world (and it is, in some ways), I found it easy to fix while my sims were vacationing there and would be perfectly happy to have some of them move there...though if I spread my sims out any further at this point, I'll need another whole computer just to keep track of them all. :)

Edit: Yikes, that was a long response! Sorry, didn't really mean to write a whole book there.
    I was wondering about that. Do you actually remember who lives where or do you write it down?
    Is it visible in the game which sim lives where? Or do you really have to remember where to go when you want to pay them a visit?
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited December 2014
    I was wondering about that. Do you actually remember who lives where or do you write it down?
    Is it visible in the game which sim lives where? Or do you really have to remember where to go when you want to pay them a visit?

If we're talking about one of "my" sims or any descended from them, I was probably there at their birth (or the equivalent), walked the floors with them when they were cranky babies/toddlers, got them through school, likely built or remodeled their house, etc. Yes, I know where they all live.

If we're talking about paying a visit to the half-brother of the next door neighbor of someone one of them used to work with a long time ago by name, I might have a bit of trouble and call upon a roster from MasterController to remember where they are currently living. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    > @igazor said:

The long post is fine actually. I liked detailed explanation of something just so we won't go back and forth asking questions over and over. I read the NRaas tips for better game performance and will try doing some of them. I already downloaded Delphy's sims 3 Dashboard and save cleaner and will try it out before playing later this afternoon.

as for the remaining sims that won't be joining the moving sims they will stop aging right? so the only thing to do to make them progress like the main household is to play them here and there just to balance the generations.
    as for the remaining sims that won't be joining the moving sims they will stop aging right? so the only thing to do to make them progress like the main household is to play them here and there just to balance the generations.
    Traveler has an option to switch aging in foreign worlds on or off, world by world, so it's your choice. When Ageless Foreign Sims is off, sims in those worlds each age up one sim day at midnight. When your sims are on a vacation or at Uni, no one ages anywhere.

But with or without aging, sims in other worlds do not progress; you do have to play there to make that happen. Upon arrival in a world you haven't been to for a while, sims who are then overdue to age up will do so and unresolved pregnancies from your last visit will get taken care of. But other forms of progression do not happen in your absence -- no one will have moved up or down in their careers or skills, for example, relationships will be exactly as you left them provided the sims in question haven't died from old age, the crops in their gardens and the dirty dishes that were on the table will still be there, etc.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    > @igazor said:

I see thank you for explaining. If switching household then do you have to move the main household to the neighborhood you want to switch household with?
    I see thank you for explaining. If switching household then do you have to move the main household to the neighborhood you want to switch household with?
    Not unless you really want to. If you are playing a household in World A and want to switch to playing a different household in World B, the procedure is to have a sim start up the travel sequence on their phone or computer but remove all of the sims from list of those who will be traveling -- I call this "traveling with no one on board." When the game lands on World B, it will ask you which (already existing) household there you would like to play.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    > @igazor said:

oh ok then thank you for the replies and help. will try it out now.
  • Shiababy7Shiababy7 Posts: 100 Member
    edited July 2015
    Not unless you really want to. If you are playing a household in World A and want to switch to playing a different household in World B, the procedure is to have a sim start up the travel sequence on their phone or computer but remove all of the sims from list of those who will be traveling -- I call this "traveling with no one on board." When the game lands on World B, it will ask you which (already existing) household there you would like to play.

Sorry for bumping an old thread and topic but @igazor I've tried this method and it doesn't seem to work. When my sim in World A goes to travel to World B, I can't remove him from the list of who's traveling. So this method "traveling with no one on board," doesn't seem to work for me.

I'm pretty bummed because I really really enjoy the play style you have going on with multiple families living in different worlds but all under the same save file.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, would you mind walking me through the whole sending "no one on board" method?

The goal is to have the grandparents and a few siblings living in Monte Vista and have another family live in another (custom) world but keep them in the same save file like you explained above.

I have WA and I have Twallan's Traveler mod so hardware wise, I'm set to do this but the option to empty out the traveling list doesn't work. I can only cancel it out...or send them to travel. Sorry for the long message, I'm not sure I'm explaining myself too well.

Thanks

Edit: NVM, I figured it out, I just had to right click the sim to exit them out of the travel list altogether.

Post edited by Shiababy7 on
    I don't remember ever having to right-click to remove a traveler from the travel list, but glad you figured it out. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • TroyTalksTroyTalks Posts: 103 Member
    edited January 2019
    What is the difference between the Porter and Traveler mods? I have been playing the sims 3 a lot lately and after all these years, I am still amazed at all of the aspects of the game that still surprise me- i.e, "Skill Challenges" which I only just recently discovered. My goal now is to send the descendants of my main families into other towns/worlds to live but I want their relationships and family trees to remain in tact.

for example: generation A was created in Moonlight Falls, but their children (Generation B) are now adults and I want to send them to another town where they can live and have families of their own, thus carrying on the family legacy and spreading it across worlds. I don't want Generation B to lose their family ties with generation A.....and eventually i will want generation C to move to another world as well with their ties to Generation A & B in tact.
    Post edited by TroyTalks on
    giphy.gif
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @TroyTalks For what you're trying to do, you'll need NRaas Traveler; adding ErrorTrap and Overwatch is a really good idea too, since the travel transition can break even with Traveler in place. With Traveler, you can have all of the interconnected worlds you want, and you or your sims can travel back and forth among them as often as you'd like.

Porter, on the other hand, simply allows you to pack up large groups of sims and save them as you'd save a household to the bin. You can then drop the sims into a brand-new save, and the sims you packed together will have their relationships with each other intact. It's just a better version of the EA-standard bin transfer in that it allows you to bring larger numbers of sims into a world while keeping their relationships with each other. But you'd still lose all the data from the previous town and the sims you left behind there.