Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It's so pretty!

2...Next

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I play it on a plasma TV on Ultra settings. Drop dead gorgeous :smiley:

I like the cartoony artstyle. Stops it dropping into the uncanny valley for me.

It doesn't need to be cartoony- drawn looking- to NOT hit the uncanny valley. I might not have a Plasma TV hook-up but I can play it on Ultra. To me, it's not beautiful, it irritates me because it only tries to look 3D yet it only looks like it's a bunch of drawn furniture and scenes- RPG 2000.

Comparatively speaking, TS2 and TS3 didn't hit the uncanny valley, they just needed doing a little better. imo

Just drop a Sim in this game and that's what it feels like- to me.
    full20120217111947.jpeg

Different strokes for different folks. Such is life :)

That was what I said* in the first place. :disagree:

I know :smile: I was being flippant because you rubbed me the wrong way with the sarky TV remark. FWIW, They don't make plasmas anymore and I picked up an end of line for less that the cost of a mediocre computer monitor. I have also had a gutful of sitting at desks most of my life.

I do take your point, tho'. I try and make my Skyrim very real looking and the characters don't hit the uncanny valley. If they do, they get vaped.

For whatever reason, the designers of TS4 decided to go with this style and I, and others, happen to like it. My remark about the uncanny valley was meant in the sense that cartoons are very unlikely to fall foul of that phenomenon.

Yes, I know very well the Designers went in a way others like. :)

Which no Sims game has ever run close to that uncanny valley- this forum has been over this topic for months before the release of this game and I still don't see this as an issue of the games.

I didn't realize it was a snarky remark. You said you had plasma and I know I have an old TV so I assumed you have a better TV and was putting it out there (you being snarky). I'm sorry if it read that way, it's just that I use a regular monitor and not a big, Awesome TV.

You might also misunderstand me, I'm not for Ultra realism or even realistic Sims. I don't use realistic skins nor try for realistic Sims. I like the slight off of the Sims- the cute but not real world.

Looking at the pictures the shadows bother me, the colors bother me, no sharp edges on objects bother me, the back drops, the sky/the grass/the blurry distance... sigh, the 'me not even caring to play it again' bothers me.
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    MakoSims wrote: »
    For those who can play the game on ultra: what graphics card do you have?

I only have a GeForce GTX 280, and still being able to play on ultra.
    Isn't there a 'Degree' of Ultra?

Meaning, what our cards can do? So even if I have a moderate card my Ultra isn't as Ultra as the Fabulous cards can show at Ultra.... am I right or wrong?
    It's okay if I'm wrong, I can take it. :blush:
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

Meaning, what our cards can do? So even if I have a moderate card my Ultra isn't as Ultra as the Fabulous cards can show at Ultra.... am I right or wrong?

Your right.

I try ultra on a pc with a GT120 and it just don't look as good as ultra with a GTX 661.

Your right.

I try ultra on a pc with a GT120 and it just don't look as good as ultra with a GTX 661.

Hi, @catloverplayer :)

Thanks! So, my Ultra probably isn't near as good as most. :)
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I play it on a plasma TV on Ultra settings. Drop dead gorgeous :smiley:

I like the cartoony artstyle. Stops it dropping into the uncanny valley for me.

It doesn't need to be cartoony- drawn looking- to NOT hit the uncanny valley. I might not have a Plasma TV hook-up but I can play it on Ultra. To me, it's not beautiful, it irritates me because it only tries to look 3D yet it only looks like it's a bunch of drawn furniture and scenes- RPG 2000.

Comparatively speaking, TS2 and TS3 didn't hit the uncanny valley, they just needed doing a little better. imo

Just drop a Sim in this game and that's what it feels like- to me.
    full20120217111947.jpeg

Different strokes for different folks. Such is life :)

That was what I said* in the first place. :disagree:

I know :smile: I was being flippant because you rubbed me the wrong way with the sarky TV remark. FWIW, They don't make plasmas anymore and I picked up an end of line for less that the cost of a mediocre computer monitor. I have also had a gutful of sitting at desks most of my life.

I do take your point, tho'. I try and make my Skyrim very real looking and the characters don't hit the uncanny valley. If they do, they get vaped.

For whatever reason, the designers of TS4 decided to go with this style and I, and others, happen to like it. My remark about the uncanny valley was meant in the sense that cartoons are very unlikely to fall foul of that phenomenon.

Yes, I know very well the Designers went in a way others like. :)

Which no Sims game has ever run close to that uncanny valley- this forum has been over this topic for months before the release of this game and I still don't see this as an issue of the games.

I didn't realize it was a snarky remark. You said you had plasma and I know I have an old TV so I assumed you have a better TV and was putting it out there (you being snarky). I'm sorry if it read that way, it's just that I use a regular monitor and not a big, Awesome TV.

You might also misunderstand me, I'm not for Ultra realism or even realistic Sims. I don't use realistic skins nor try for realistic Sims. I like the slight off of the Sims- the cute but not real world.

Looking at the pictures the shadows bother me, the colors bother me, no sharp edges on objects bother me, the back drops, the sky/the grass/the blurry distance... sigh, the 'me not even caring to play it again' bothers me.

It is sad when that happens to a beloved franchise. I have had the same disappointment with other games, TV series that were great, cut short (grrrrr) - I will never forgive them for killing the Terminator TV series (Summer Glau - sigh). Book that you wait years for the next instalment, and it turns out to be rubbish.

I try and take a philosophical point of view and move on. There has been occasions where I have just walked away and then picked something months (sometimes years) later and loved it and wondered what I was complaining about.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison

Your right.

I don't know your card so I can't say.

Even ultra settings doesn't fix the poor indoor lighting issues. It's still too dark.
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    The art style doesn't compare to TS3's imo. But that's just a personal preference.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    MakoSims wrote: »
    For those who can play the game on ultra: what graphics card do you have?

Nvidia GTX 750 TI :)

Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png

It is sad when that happens to a beloved franchise. I have had the same disappointment with other games, TV series that were great, cut short (grrrrr) - I will never forgive them for killing the Terminator TV series (Summer Glau - sigh). Book that you wait years for the next instalment, and it turns out to be rubbish.

I try and take a philosophical point of view and move on. There has been occasions where I have just walked away and then picked something months (sometimes years) later and loved it and wondered what I was complaining about.

Sometimes it feels like everyone is telling me to just leave and do something else. :lmao:
    (Which for all intents and purposes is what I said before- I'll wait a few years for the game to 'grow')

I never cared if a show I liked changed because I never watched too much TV, I only caught shows now and then. I would never wait for a new book because I don't read that much - ever. This was my past time activity since I can't do any of the ones I used to love (read Sports).

I will assume (again) that you're new here and haven't been through all the release day (month) hoopla of this place. :mrgreen:

Welcome to The Sims forums. I'm glad you're enjoying the game and I wish you many years of fun! :yum:

• ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

Probably. An older card may still not deliver the full experience as it may be unable to fully handle what the game is throwing at it. There has also been an increasing practice of certain games being optimised for certain card vendors (Runs better on Nvidia type of thing). Thankfully, the latter doesn't appear to be true for this game.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison

Your right.

I don't know your card so I can't say.

It's okay, it was a general statement. Sorry. :mrgreen: