Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Want to know opinions on the Sims 4

So I'm wondering what everything thinks about the Sims 4 and if I should bother purchasing it or not. I have been wanting it ever since it came out but I cannot afford it at this time and it bothers me so I just wanted to know if it's worth being upset over. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I don't have TS4 either and would like to buy it once I can afford it and have more space on my hard drive.I would suggest buying an external hard drive for surplus files to be stored on so your internal hard drive isn't too full.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    NightmareCandleNightmareCandle Posts: 531 Member
    My opinion is that TS4 isn't worth the money yet. I think that it'll be extremely fun once there's content added, whether it's all game packs or there's expansion packs too. But right now...I can't really get into it, myself. I'm not imaginative or a story teller so my fun is gone once I've done everything in the game, which is very little for the TS4 basegame.

So, I don't think it's worth being upset over yet. :) Make sure that you have plenty of space for expansions and such when you do get it, though! TS3 was over 60GB with all expansions and stuff packs, not including saves and CC/mods.
    ► ♦ 8XGb8hl.gif ♦ ◄
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Not worth it. It's so incomplete and boring. Free content patches are over according to that one article I've read and it still hasn't brought everything on what's supposedly in a base game.
  • Options
    Thebookthief24Thebookthief24 Posts: 1,327 Member
    I personally like the game better than The Sims two or three at the moment , but the only way to find out if its for you is to play it yourself.
    "Clearly , I have made some bad decisions."
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    If you can find TS4 on sale then go for it.... if not then I'd just spend the money on a leaf blower. It'd probably be twice as tactile.
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    It's a let down, there's too many removed content and well, it's just not really a Sims Game.
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    edited December 2014
    Out of the main Sims game, it's the worst. I hate it that I have since stopped playing. Since you seem to be tight on money, I suggest you don't buy it.
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited December 2014
    It's on sale for $29.99 in Origin right now. Personally, I like it better than the previous games, but the last patch borked my pubs and nightclubs. I'm a little cheesed about that. If you don't enjoy sending your sims out, it won't bother you as much as it does me. Right now, all my sims hang out at the parks, the museums, and the gym until they fix it. Everyone's getting stupidly buff right now.

Words of caution:
    If you like building: Basements and terrain tools are not present in the game.
    If you like playing generations: toddlers are not in the game.
    If you like the open world and no loading screens, you'll be in for a disappointment.
    If you like CASt, you'll be at a loss. It also doesn't exist.
    If you like to play rotationally but like to have control over all your sims all the time, you'll be frustrated.
    If you hate goal requirements, you'll be banging your head against the wall.

The worlds are small. 24 lots total for each world (not counting hidden lots), and there's only two worlds that are interconnected. Meaning you can play in both and visit both, and populate both seemlessly. This only give you a total of 48 lots to utilize.

The worlds are not customizable. The lots are locked into the world and you can not move them around or change the sizes of them.

There are no vehicles, pets, restaurants, or seasons.

If you ever played Sims 1, you may feel a bit of nostalgia, but it doesn't mean you'll like or hate the game.

If you don't mind stepping away from realism (realistic graphics, etc.), You may or may not like the graphics.

The game requires a learning curve, as did all its predecessors. The camera and build mode are very different and take some time getting used to. So does CAS for creating the sims.

All in all, if you just like to play and experiment with your sims, you may find it enjoyable. If you're more of a strict player and are set in only one way of playing, you may not enjoy it at all.

That's about all I can think of right now. It's getting near my bedtime.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    So I'm wondering what everything thinks about the Sims 4 and if I should bother purchasing it or not. I have been wanting it ever since it came out but I cannot afford it at this time and it bothers me so I just wanted to know if it's worth being upset over. Thanks!

I have a suggestion: Instead of spending time here in the General Discussion thread, asking people what they think about the Sims 4, you might want to go down to the Feedback forum. Especially read the official Feedback thread posted by SimGuru Hydra. Also there is a very long one posted by sparkfairy1 called EA's Silence on Family play...or something like that. There's one here in General Discussion that's called "Most Disappointing Game of 2014"...now those are mostly negative opinions, so be warned and read them with an open mind.

Another recommendation is that you get on You Tube and look at Let's Plays. it will, at least, give you some idea of what you're getting yourself into.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    NOVEMBER_11SARAHNOVEMBER_11SARAH Posts: 767 Member
    edited December 2014
    Its way better then the Sims 3 base game. But its missing a lot of features so every month or so you have to wait for it to patched into the game, what is annoying. Its more like Sims 2 so if you liked that you will probably like Sims 4. But when the expansion packs come out I could see it being one of the best Sims games and the base is already better then all of Sims 3 combined in my opinion.
    New Zealand!!!
    I have dyslexia so my grammar sucks.
    Sim Story:
    https://smfblog11.wordpress.com/
    Simblr:
    http://thestrangenessofstrangetown.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited December 2014
    It isn't a proper sequel, technically looks more like a reboot. It doesn't cater to my play style at all so I can't really say anything good about it other than multitasking is quite awesome, but that's about it. The base game for TS2 and TS3 kept me glued to my chair far longer than the 35 hours I forced myself to play TS4. TS2 and TS3 maintained the status quo, augmented what was already there and tried to innovate the core gameplay. Compared to them, this base game pales in comparison and it's flat out sub-par and there's so much functionality that behaves exactly like in TS1-TS2 that it is just beyond ridiculous. I don't want to play a weak mimic of TS1-TS2.

Personally I have little hope for the game ever catering to me and I can already see many things that can go wrong, so I'll simply wait and see how it turns in a few years. If anything, with the ridiculous amount of content there is for TS2 and TS3 (and even TS1 for that matter), I've got my sim-needs covered for 10 years, so I can easily skip TS4 and TS5 (if there's ever one and turns out to be just as disappointing).
  • Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    Its way better then the Sims 3 base game. But its missing a lot of features so every month or so you have to wait for it to patched into the game, what is annoying. Its more like Sims 2 so if you liked that you will probably like Sims 4. But when the expansion packs come out I could see it being one of the best Sims games and the base is already better then all of Sims 3 combined in my opinion.
    LOL what.... It's way better even though it's missing a lot of features?! We shouldn't have to wait ages for them to patch things in. It seems to me that you are basing your opinion on potential instead of what it actually is.....
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    My opinion is that the game is wonderful and full of many little details that many people haven't bothered to look for. The sims themselves are more full of character and I love how they actually change their demeanor for each emotion. I am having loads of fun with it!!
  • Options
    simmesesimmese Posts: 1,536 Member
    edited December 2014
    TS4 is not a true sims game , its a fascimile of a sims game
    Its more linear play than freestyle .. do this , do it so many times then go there etc etc

Also its incomplete .. still no toddlers ... or more importantly a Family tree (the lack of which causes incest in families)

And then theres the loading screens , ack !

After saying that though I still do kinda like the game , but it only holds my interest for about 15 - 20 minutes , then I go back to TS3 where I can lose myself in gameplay for hours

Edit ... Just read the comment above mine , the emotions , yeah , if you like happy , happy , happy then yeah the sims have emotions
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    simmese wrote: »
    Its more linear play than freestyle .. do this , do it so many times then go there etc etc

Also its incomplete .. still no toddlers ... or more importantly a Family tree (the lack of which causes incest in families)

After saying that though I still do kinda like the game , but it only holds my interest for about 15 - 20 minutes , then I go back to TS3 where I can lose myself in gameplay for hours

Edit ... Just read the comment above mine , the emotions , yeah , if you like happy , happy , happy then yeah the sims have emotions

I am confused when people say this game is any more "linear" than past games. This game has elements of both Sims 2 and Sims 3 as aspirations are back from 2. Whims are similar to the dreams and goals system in Sims 3. You don't have to play the whims either. Also I am having a variety of emotions with my sims and not just the "happy" emotion.
  • Options
    ShuushiiShuushii Posts: 745 Member
    It's okay. If you can find it on sale go buy it, it's one of those games that you play to just really past time or when you have nothing else better to do.
    Its not much compared to its predecessors, like a bad reboot of Sims 2 at most.
    I see myself getting lost in this game at times and it can be quite enjoyable but its not worth what its asking for right now. I suggest you wait if you're really curious.
    codxHiZ.jpg
    Disclaimer: He or Him! Not a girl!
  • Options
    LovelyMelodyLovelyMelody Posts: 896 Member
    Don't buy it yet. Friendly advice :)
    Strawberry_Shortcake_Commision_by_sugarlette.gif <~ my weakness.
  • Options
    FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    It's ok, I like it. But I suggest you to wait for a sale to buy it.
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000
  • Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    simmese wrote: »

I am confused when people say this game is any more "linear" than past games. This game has elements of both Sims 2 and Sims 3 as aspirations are back from 2. Whims are similar to the dreams and goals system in Sims 3. You don't have to play the whims either. Also I am having a variety of emotions with my sims and not just the "happy" emotion.

I can tell you why I feel it's linear. Each aspiration takes you through a number of stages, all of which have requirements that need to be met. Just keeping Sims happy no longer gives you points - you have to complete the aspirations to get any significant number. Previous editions had much less specific requirements and quite often more than one option for reaching the goals, so those of us who don't like completing checklists could do things another way. In ts2&3, the sims were way less needy, they had more stamina for doing other things before they got whiny (in 3 you could drive down the bars quite low without negative effects - in 4, they decay faster and the sims get fidgety when they're only half empty.) This makes the rewards that slow the decay more attractive (or in my case, necessary for my sanity, esp in fuller households). The whims are so repetitive and don't give very many points. It's like a rock and a hard place.

Tl;dr it's the difference between having one huge goal, with the smaller short term goals that are more flexible (ts2&3), and having smaller, extremely specific tasks that must be completed to achieve the ultimate larger goal.
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited December 2014
    I picked it up at during the Black Friday Sale. Haven't played anything else since. I think it is a cracking game.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Here is what happened yesterday. I will let you draw your on conclusions. I hadn't played in six weeks. But had quite a large save going on with a group of Sims I created since I got the game in late Sept. I had played them several times (In small spurts) all singles, all YAs.

This is only one household others are families etc. I built them a super nice house (on the gallery) months ago.

The game has been patched seven or eight times since it's release. And there are still bugs that are very annoying.

Here we go. I waited and waited for my saved game to load. (You would think this would be faster since my processors are 3.2ghz.)

Finally got into the game. Picked up where I left off. What happened?

Told one Sim to cook a gourmet meal...has enough skills to do that and the rest ( a few out of eight) looked like they would be hungry soon.

Got one Sim up from sleeping since she needed to pee and eat like now. What did she do? She went to clean the bathroom sink. When I cancelled that because she is too ignorant to pee and eat, she decided she needed to go clean a shower. While her motives were in the red, ready to pop or die from starvation.

Took the camera back downstairs to see if the other Sim had fixed that meal yet...where is it? I can't find it? He is eating something but what is it? Did he even follow through and cook that meal? Finally found it placed somewhere hard to find...amid a bunch of objects on a counter because the place markers for objects are now increased the Sims can put objects just about anywhere (like plates) and though welcomed for decorating it's not fun when you are looking for a plate, a book, something important.

Finally had to make the other Sim go eat, because she was too dumb to go eat.

Some others joined by this time. But one stopped eating, stood up, took their plate and it disappeared. Where did it go..he was very hungry too and unlike TS3 they will die like in TS2 if they don't eat 'soon'. Where is his plate?! Why has he stopped eating and just standing there.

There is nothing queued up in his queue...he is just standing there. His girlfriend comes over to kiss him. O.K. but that is spontaneous, but shouldn't I see her face in his queue so I would know what is going to happen or go on? And where is his plate now?

They kissed, he popped the plate out of his rear and continued to stand and eat.

I wanted a table picture of them sitting and eating, two of the girls were the ones I was trying to focus on....just when I was ready to snap the picture, one of them decided though she was side by side with the other girl she needed to move.....(to get closer to the their conversation) She was sitting right next to her at the table....

So, here we go...three or four of them started moving from seat to seat (six chairs, four eating)....move from this chair to that chair etc.

I need to get them done with this and ready for work....one missed work because I told her to go to work....she went to bed. I didn't realize she had gone back to bed (wrong bed) and did not follow my command....until her phone started ringing.

I wanted to work on their performance meters to at least get them a promotion since the last time I played. The game is very scripted with what they can and can't do in order to get promotions and or fill Aspiration meters. Unlike the TS2 and TS3 it tells you exactly what you have to do...and if you do anything else (like in the other games) it won't count...so a waste of time if you try it that way.

By the time they got home from work, And from one to the other not following my commands and or not taking care of themselves all that much (TS2 Sims would have ate, and not hid their plate of food in their butt just to stop to kiss) and the musical chairs, the doing stuff when their motives are full....I mean why play a PC game dear Sim if your fun is full???!!!! Annoying.

By that time I was sick of it, turned it off this took about an hour or so.....I figure I won't be playing again until the next time I just want to see if things changed and No they haven't.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Looks more like they are putting their objects in their pocket to me. What they are actually doing is placing the item in the inventory.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    Looks more like they are putting their objects in their pocket to me. What they are actually doing is placing the item in the inventory.

Immersion, Immersion, immersion.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Cinebar wrote: »

Personally I find the game very immersive and am forgiving of animations like this. You get the the same happening in something like Dragon Age Inquisition where the toon pulls a magic staff out of nowhere.

I would love it if I could carry my guitar on my back. I mean, these sims walk around with their pockets full of rocks, frogs, musical intruments and other assorted paraphernalia :)

But I can forgive that as well.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

Personally I find the game very immersive and am forgiving of animations like this. You get the the same happening in something like Dragon Age Inquisition where the toon pulls a magic staff out of nowhere.

I would love it if I could carry my guitar on my back. I mean, these sims walk around with their pockets full of rocks, frogs, musical intruments and other assorted paraphernalia :)

But I can forgive that as well.

The point of why I mentioned it was because there was nothing in his queue that he was expecting a kiss from the starving Sim. She should have ate like I told her to do, and he should have continued eating since he needed to get to work shortly. The game failed to put her avi in his queue to let me know why he stood up, why he made his plate disappear, and why he was just standing there not following my command. That was the point.