Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE SIMS ONLINE

Comments

• Mashimar0Mashimar0 Posts: 1,770 Member
    Valandis wrote: »
    It was nothing like second life at all. Second Life is a social sandbox MMO, The Sims Online is like The Sims 1 but with people and different features.

ah I see, well too bad they canceled the game.
    vyogg9rodtfcebiur2om.gif
  • LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    I never played TSO, but I always thought the game would work well if it was like ... people hosted their own server (unless EA was willing to do dedicated servers for free...) and X amount of people could join said server ... nothing is different, except you all control different Sims. Maybe have voice enabled ... definitely a textbox for basic text chat with other players. That's about it. They could make it so that you have a separate Sim specifically for online play. Cheats would be disabled.

If that's too much trouble, then instead of having a place where a bunch of people can join random games, maybe you can generate a serial code or something that you can give to your friends so that people can join your game.

But in the end, I've always preferred The Sims as an offline game. At most, I would want to include up to 4 people, but that's about it. I liked games like There.com, Second Life, and Habbo instead, as they work much better as sandboxy social networking games.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I wish I'd saved a ton more pics. :( I only saved a handful and most of those were of glitches. Glitches, who'd-a-thunk it? lmbo they provided a lot of comedy.
  • fruitchew87fruitchew87 Posts: 114 Member
    I miss TSO all the time- there just really isn't another game out there like it. I can see why it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but for me it was amazing. Was it a "glorified chat room"? You bet it was! If you didn't come to be social then there was just no reason to play the game at all.

If you wanted the fastest skill leveling, you needed to visit someone's skill house with enough people skilling that same exact skill to get the the fastest speed. If you wanted to make the most money you could, you needed to visit someone's money house that hosted the type of money objects that you had a high skill in. Those processes alone left you Sim completely stationary which means you either afk or try to strike up conversation with the other people in the house to keep yourself entertained. The only "fun" money objects were the ones that required a group effort, and as others have mentioned the pizza machine was the most popular. I used to "lead" in pizza, and I remember I was quite good at it :)

If they ever did make another Sims Online game, I would hope that they keep to the old formula of keeping an offline version along with the online one. I know there are a lot of people out there that would not be interested at all in another Sims MMO try, but I would fall off my chair if I heard they were. I must admit I lost my breath when I first heard about all the rumors of TS4 being online, and had dreams of a new, improved TSO being launched. When news was made that it would be offline, I felt like the only one who's heart fell into their stomach whilst everyone else rejoiced. I can respect everyone else's opinions though, and I wouldn't want to force that play style on anyone who can't stand it.

We're all simmers, we just like to play differently :)

Best to all
    Visit my YouTube channel for my Let's Plays and Build videos <3

FreeSO, it's happening.
  • BaristatyeBaristatye Posts: 96 Member
    > @fruitchew87 said:
    > I miss TSO all the time- there just really isn't another game out there like it. I can see why it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but for me it was amazing. Was it a "glorified chat room"? You bet it was! If you didn't come to be social then there was just no reason to play the game at all.
    >
    > If you wanted the fastest skill leveling, you needed to visit someone's skill house with enough people skilling that same exact skill to get the the fastest speed. If you wanted to make the most money you could, you needed to visit someone's money house that hosted the type of money objects that you had a high skill in. Those processes alone left you Sim completely stationary which means you either afk or try to strike up conversation with the other people in the house to keep yourself entertained. The only "fun" money objects were the ones that required a group effort, and as others have mentioned the pizza machine was the most popular. I used to "lead" in pizza, and I remember I was quite good at it :)
    >
    > If they ever did make another Sims Online game, I would hope that they keep to the old formula of keeping an offline version along with the online one. I know there are a lot of people out there that would not be interested at all in another Sims MMO try, but I would fall off my chair if I heard they were. I must admit I lost my breath when I first heard about all the rumors of TS4 being online, and had dreams of a new, improved TSO being launched. When news was made that it would be offline, I felt like the only one who's heart fell into their stomach whilst everyone else rejoiced. I can respect everyone else's opinions though, and I wouldn't want to force that play style on anyone who can't stand it.
    >
    > We're all simmers, we just like to play differently :)
    >
    > Best to all

I agree with what you said and I as well miss it deeply - and NOTHING has compared to it.
  • GeekAndProudGeekAndProud Posts: 3 New Member
    edited December 2014
    I know this thread is a couple of months old but I dug these up from ages ago:

i.imgur.com/TLgvFcE.jpg : pretty sure I discovered this bug, if you cancelled cleaning plates as soon as you picked them up you could stack them indefinately, from what I remember you could even jump off a diving board with a huge stack of plates in your hand....
    i.imgur.com/KE8cE9i.jpg
    i.imgur.com/PQWBG3X.jpg : This is why you don't light fireworks indoors kids
    Post edited by GeekAndProud on
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    Baristatye wrote: »
    Really? I wonder why? I hope in the future they can find a happy medium of the sims 2/3/4 whatever with TSO. Big fan of all sims games though!

I can tell you why I'm not inclined to play this game online. I simply do NOT want anyone messing with my Sims! I may have a wrong impression of how the game is played online, but I played WoW for a very short time period (only a few months) and decided I was better off only playing with family. I pretty much wrote strangers off. They killed my little gnome on her way into what was supposed to be a 'friendly' town! So uncool. I can't imagine someone else's Sim befriending my Sim and taking my storyline off its mark. I'm not looking for an outside relationship, and I can see where that might be an issue when played online. But, that's just me. I may be completely wrong about how the game is played.

For the record, although I did try SimPort, I was not at all pleased with it. Once I discovered my Sim could make it to the top of the singing career without going on a tour (people stopped hosting him), I stopped using SimPort. I also don't like to "chat and play", it's distracting and I get all tense, instead of unwinding.

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • PaparazziPaparazzi Posts: 46 Member
    I played The Sims Online for 6 years it was the best game I've ever played and nothing has ever come close. I enjoyed every single bit of the game and I still miss it a lot.

I just received The Sims 4 Collector's edition today and was happy to see that The Sims Online was recognised in The Sims 4 Creator's Guide since I thought EA wanted to clear all existence of it.
    Paparazzi wrote: »
    I played The Sims Online for 6 years it was the best game I've ever played and nothing has ever come close. I enjoyed every single bit of the game and I still miss it a lot. <br />
    <br />
    I just received The Sims 4 Collector's edition today and was happy to see that The Sims Online was recognised in The Sims 4 Creator's Guide since I thought EA wanted to clear all existence of it.

Yes, I played for years as well, back when it came out on the disc. Makes me almost come to tears everytime I think about it, never found a game close to it. want it back!
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Baristatye wrote: »
    Not sure where its appropriate to post this, but I use to be a fellow TSO member (the sims online) back in early 2000s, when Maxis ruined it (ea ruined it, go figure) but long story short was wondering if anyone else ever played and if you seen it in The Sims 4, when your sims play video games, play sims forever - when they play it looks just like the sims online. I wish they would bring it back :( it was awesome.
    Sims forever is the sims 1.

6JSxk49.png?1
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I played TSO. I am still in contact with some people I met from different parts of the world that miss it just like I do. We stayed until the end. It was a sad day!

My best friend that I met playing TSO lives in Australia. We met in person. She and her family came to the states for my husband's funeral (Dec. 2011) and stayed for a two week visit. She came for another visit this past summer. She did not get the Sims 4 yet but we still trade files from past Sims games.
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Dragon123561Dragon123561 Posts: 2,262 Member
    I have very good memories of The Sims Online, and I miss it terribly, maybe one day it will be revamped.
    OTBANNERhol_zpslahzogjc.png

• xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I was too young when it came out. It must have been... something.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • FroggyKarenFroggyKaren Posts: 398 Member
    My memory of TSO is so vague. I remember some kind of maze where I tried to tell someone who couldn't see the path which way to go. (Was that pizza?) I also remember something about robots and a conveyor belt where everyone playing had to flip their switches the right way. I think the robot thing was a job. You didn't choose who you worked with people just showed up.

I am amazed that so many people remember the lot names and town names. Reading this thread has made more and more bits and pieces come back. I remember trying to host parties and failing miserably. I wanted to be popular but there was no way. I do kinda remember one friend I made. We talked all the time. I think her sim name was Annika and she was from California. Annika if you are on these forums and you remember me say "Hi". Lol...we might have even lived together...was that a thing? I think it was we were trying to do something with our house to make it a destination. Networking...asking people over...planning parties...it was real work!
  • have2admithave2admit Posts: 2,246 Member
    I only remember certain things. I owned my own home; very luxurious, and caught in this skill thing that wore me out! lol Myself and my friends were into skilling, and skills decayed so fast that I was looking for where the crowds of skillers were cause the more people skilling, the faster they accumulated. Then on holiday weekends your skill accumulation was doubled. It got to be snorsville! lol

Then I remember being a Shaaman and had the ability to either heal people, or raise them from the dead. I really admire the people that can remember it all.

I got tired of it and quit, but several months later I went back in. I was shocked that there were gangs everywhere, and the whole atmosphere was about fear. I got out of there real quick!

TSO died shortly thereafter. :|
  • br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    edited December 2014
    Yes. I thought you could have babies if you flirted with other people's characters so I ended up flirting with my bro's character (He was the only male on my friends list that played TSO) to see if they'd magically give me a baby.

- SickSimmer
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • 101Gamer101Gamer Posts: 131 Member
    Just wrong timing for Sims Online. Sims 4 with gallery works nice, though
    The Sims 4 is about Emotions and reduced CPU power consumption. Right?
    Also, complete agree with this.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    I think that Sims Free Play would convert nicely to the PC as an online game. It has an open world, homes, quests...the things people want in a Sims style mmo. They'd have to make some adaptations, of course, but it's do-able. I think, in many ways, it could be even better than the Sims Online, because there's so much more to do in that game...so many more possibilities.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    I wish they would also there were many things I loved about it and met some great friends that im still friendly with
    Im so sad I want it back so bad!
  • CoriChanCoriChan Posts: 197 Member
    I played TSO too, I think I was 13 or 14, and the $10 a month thing did suck back then. hah. I liked the game and think I played it for several months but after a while it became kind of stale for me.

I was super happy though when I won the prize for one of the maze houses ^_^ I think it was like 1million simoleans or something. The game was rip with money transfers to different worlds, lol, I did some of those myself. I remember the pizza making job and having to work with other people to make a good pizza. I knew of people that got married in TSO to other simmers, I think I was a shaman at some point too.

I did like the socializing part but to me it became the only concept of the game, just getting online to talk to other people lol. My sim didn't really have a fulfilling sim life like the kind from regular sims. I also think that is in part because it was Sims 1 style and back then sims didn't age and things were home lot based. If they tried to do a f2p sims online concept I might try it out but I'd need to have my sims be able to do more of the single player stuff and not just chat all day =D
  • beanbean Posts: 72 Member
    Man I wish I played TSO :/ Sounds really cool, but I must've been in pre school when it came out.
    so much fun lol i want it back
  • DizziestSimsDizziestSims Posts: 788 Member
    I never made it pass playing beta on TSO. I think it was the first and only game in the franchise I didn't buy.
    From the creator of Robinson Family, Dizziest Sims is a reboot of the storytelling series with all new family and friends! dizziestsims.com #DizziestSims