Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom content box not automatically checked when searching in gallery after December update

After the update today (December 16th) I've noticed that when trying to upload the houses I build with custom content, they don't show up. I spent tons of time searching online to see if I was the only one having issues, but to no avail. I seemed to be alone in this infinite quest for a solution. I ultimately figured I was doomed to this loneliness and unbearable torture. But, after pondering how I would continue with my life, and searching around the gallery fueling my jealousy that everyone else was still able to upload, I quickly clicked on the "Advanced" button. Through my flooding tears, a glowing light, and the angels choir, I saw an unchecked box titled "Custom Content". "AHA!" I exclaimed. I proceeded to check the box, and VOILA soon I began to repair the shattered pieces of my soul.

I guess my issue is that the glorious little box for custom content should be automatically checked for everyone, otherwise no one will ever see my wondrous creations. As someone who uploads houses constantly, and gets thousands of downloads, it's sad to see my creations never recognized. If there is a way to get that bug fixed I would be forever in your debt.

A bid you adieu.

Comments

• TrycTryc Posts: 123 Member
    edited December 2014
    I think it makes more sense to leave it unchecked and just remind people that the option is there. CC has to be hunted down separately in order for ones creations to look the same in another's game. Many people are afraid to use CC and others can't figure out how to install or find it.

If one is willing to spend the time to hunt down specific CC and knows how to install and use it, then that one is more likely to remember to check that little box in the advanced section. Therefore, in theory, fewer people will be complaining that what they see in the Gallery isn't what they see in their game.
  • SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    From the patch notes:

•Custom Content and Mods will no longer display by default in the Gallery. To see them, check the “Include Custom Content” flag in Advanced filters on the left.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    I guess my issue is that the glorious little box for custom content should be automatically checked for everyone, otherwise no one will ever see my wondrous creations. As someone who uploads houses constantly, and gets thousands of downloads, it's sad to see my creations never recognized. If there is a way to get that bug fixed I would be forever in your debt. <br />
    <br />
    A bid you adieu.

I love that it isn't automatically checked.

• ArgYeScurvyScallywagsArgYeScurvyScallywags Posts: 4 New Member
    I just feel as though, if you don't want to download anything with CC, then you could uncheck it. Everyone's work should have an equal chance for downloads because if you download a house with CC then you won't get the CC anyways. A lot of people, like myself, had no idea there was even an option to show CC sims/houses, so my downloads may never be seen again. If you don't want CC then it's easy to ignore it, it just doesn't seem very fair to me that's all.
    I just feel as though, if you don't want to download anything with CC, then you could uncheck it.

I feel if you want CC, you should check it. Especially because you'll have to hunt down that CC to make it work.
    Yes but why only show half of the creations when you search? It should be equal. Houses with CC are just as beautiful as houses that don't. And the problem isn't laziness, or that I don't want to have to check a box. It's the fact that a lot of people don't even know about it, not everyone reads the patch notes. And I'm still not understanding your logic on this; what's so bad about just ignoring anything labeled with CC? Or, I don't know, download it if you like it because you won't be getting the CC anyways. You'll be getting the bones of the house and you can just add your own furniture to it.
    Yes but why only show half of the creations when you search?

Because what is the use of sifting through content that will look nothing like the pictures unless you download it? Most users do not even bother to list links for the CC they use. And most people want a CC-free, hassle-free experience.

If you want to cater to that audience, don't use CC in your content. Simple.

The rest of us has been begging for a CC automated filter since day one.
    I wasn't looking for a debate, I wasn't even asking for your reply. Your points have no validity, and I could every single point you use against your own argument. Please stop replying to this post as you are sounding more and more ignorant with each response.
  • SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    Yes but why only show half of the creations when you search? It should be equal. Houses with CC are just as beautiful as houses that don't. And the problem isn't laziness, or that I don't want to have to check a box. It's the fact that a lot of people don't even know about it, not everyone reads the patch notes. And I'm still not understanding your logic on this; what's so bad about just ignoring anything labeled with CC? Or, I don't know, download it if you like it because you won't be getting the CC anyways. You'll be getting the bones of the house and you can just add your own furniture to it.

I don't want CC in my game. So I consider it a waste of my time wading through gallery items that contain it. But even if I didn't mind CC, so many people don't provide links to what they have included - I would again consider it a waste of my time having to hunt for it on the internet, or replace the missing items if I did choose to download something.

There is an entire feedback thread started by the devs about searching the gallery - a good many people asked for a way to filter out CC & modded content, especially since so many people are misleading about whether or not they've been used.

I'm sure there are still plenty of people who will check the box & see the CC/mod creations. Word will get around to those who don't read patch notes or don't notice the new checkbox. :)
  • XiraiyaXiraiya Posts: 38 Member
    edited December 2014
    Logically , it makes more sense for the default to be that Custom Content doesn't show up unless you set it to do so, it's unofficial content and it's not originally in the game by default, it can not be used without downloading 3rd party stuff, so it makes the gallery half useless to anyone not using those particular mods.

If you're that worried about getting attention for whatever reason, perhaps build with the content in the default Sims game so that everyone without fail can see and download your stuff.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    I second the suggestion, but for a different reason:
    The default setting carries over to offline mode, the non-default not. At the moment the game forces me to go online to check the cc box and thus access households/ lots that make use of cc in my library. If I´m unable to access the internet for whatever reason, I´m barred from putting anything with cc from my library into the gameworld. (At least anything that I made after the patch, the old households are still visible.)
  • TelaxtTelaxt Posts: 36 Member
    I don't have any problems with it not being default, I just want it to remember the setting, like it does for unowned. I have to check it every time I open the gallery, even to see the stuff in my own library. It should remember what I've chosen and not revert when the I close the gallery. Not like its hard to miss the wrench icon the game puts on items with CC.
  • x_anjuta_xx_anjuta_x Posts: 13 New Member
    Just posted a similar thread, before I saw this.

I understand people who don’t want custom content and generally it’s a good idea to have a filter.

But I also think it’s discriminating that households/houses with custom content wouldn’t show up by default and it bugs me that I have to check the custom content box in the gallery and even in my library every single time to see my own content.
  • LulubelleAppleLulubelleApple Posts: 36 Member
    edited December 2014
    I uninstalled my game TWICE because I didn't know that filter existed and I thought the game was deleting my sims. That's 18GB.

I always added links to the CC I used (except for the latest set, because the comments disappear when you remove it from the gallery, and I didn't have any energy after days of panic about the 'disappearing' gallery sims). Now my sims are automatically filtered out of the gallery because of a hidden setting. It's really unfair.

I agree that a CC filter is a good thing, but please make it visible! Optional!

Another useful complementary feature would be a way to disable showing CC items, so we can make special non-CC versions of our gallery sims to compensate... or a little CC symbol. We had these two options back in Sims 2.
  • maimouthmaimouth Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2015
    Post edited by maimouth on
    I wasn't looking for a debate, I wasn't even asking for your reply. Your points have no validity, and I could every single point you use against your own argument. Please stop replying to this post as you are sounding more and more ignorant with each response.

No. You are. And rude.

I don't want CC in my game. So I consider it a waste of my time wading through gallery items that contain it. But even if I didn't mind CC, so many people don't provide links to what they have included - I would again consider it a waste of my time having to hunt for it on the internet, or replace the missing items if I did choose to download something.

There is an entire feedback thread started by the devs about searching the gallery - a good many people asked for a way to filter out CC & modded content, especially since so many people are misleading about whether or not they've been used.

I'm sure there are still plenty of people who will check the box & see the CC/mod creations. Word will get around to those who don't read patch notes or don't notice the new checkbox. :)

Exactly.
    Xiraiya wrote: »
    Logically , it makes more sense for the default to be that Custom Content doesn't show up unless you set it to do so, it's unofficial content and it's not originally in the game by default, it can not be used without downloading 3rd party stuff, so it makes the gallery half useless to anyone not using those particular mods.<br />
    <br />
    If you're that worried about getting attention for whatever reason, perhaps build with the content in the default Sims game so that everyone without fail can see and download your stuff.

Well-said.
  • LulubelleAppleLulubelleApple Posts: 36 Member
    edited December 2014
    > @maimouth said:
    > I agree with ArgYeScurvyScallywags, not only cc creations are ''flagged'' but the thing is that those who didn't install the latest Christmas patch
    > ( game version: 1.3.18.1010), are STILL able to upload creations that include cc/mods without having any problem. Their creations appear to the gallery and all users can see them without checking the “Include Custom Content” flag in Advanced filters on the left. this is the most unfair thing about this update. if i knew that it would cause me this gallery issue, I wouldn't do it in the first place.

There's also the problem that some no-CC sims are also flagged as CC and some CC sims as no-CC.

Also, this patch did not seem to apply retroactively, to uploaded households.

Also, this is annoying because a lot of my older creations are low-CC sims with a link or a sentence along the lines of "please download Chisimi's skins: ___ and zerbu's overlays: ___" :/ I understand d this targeted more those pretty generic sims layered with tons of colourful CC.
  • AtlaxaAtlaxa Posts: 327 Member
    I found this thread, because I had the same problem and I fully agree with ArgYeScurvyScallywags.
    What I don't understand that there are lots of uploads in the gallery that appear as non-CC creations, even though it's glaringly obvious that they do contain 3rd party items (e.g. hairstyles and clothes). How is that possible?
  • SurfChicCreationSurfChicCreation Posts: 58 Member
    Totally agree with the thread starter, I echo all of your feelings and I hope there is a resolution soon to this. For people who dont create with cc, they dont understand (my opinion) that there are wonderful, fun and beautiful cc objects that we all like to use. Keeps the game fresh and entertaining for me personally. Its how I like to create. And I have done both non cc and cc. Also, I would like to note, that I linked each and every piece of my cc in each of my uploaded rooms to the gallery. So I too am really annoyed that it does not display equally as the non cc rooms with an option to turn off cc. I went from hundreds of ppl enjoying my rooms to literally one or 2 ppl. That shows you what an issue it has become. This is all about entertainment for me, I enjoy creating cc rooms and having other ppl look at and enjoy them too, plain and simple. I was so glad to read this thread and realize I am not alone in this, lol.