Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game Packs?!

2...Next

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    With this new art style and no create-a-style, I doubt I would by stuff packs, as adding more of the same doesn't help me.
    Well, I would buy clothes, since I don't have issue with it.

I am mainly interested in game play. The objects in the packs support the game play, so it will have value in that aspect.
    It looks like a smart decision by EA to me.

Grant confirmed he s also working on stuff packs so their coming too.

Actually, when asked if GPs wopuld replace EPs he said "no". When asked if GPs wopuld replace SPs he said "no comment".

I think SPs are goners.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    colton147 wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    Gazpachoid wrote: »
    is this replacing stuff packs?

My guess would be that they replacing both stuff packs and expansion packs with digital downloads called game packs. That way EA can fight piracy in a better way and at the same time keep all the profit instead of sharing it with other stores.

There will still be expansions and stuff packs.

Maybe. But EA will want to sell everything as digital downloads only.

EA's strategy seems to be to teach people to use Origin by releasing the base game with less content and then compensate by releasing a lot of free stuff in patches which can only be downloaded. That way people will learn to use Origin and EA won't need to release neither stuff pack nor expansion packs on DVDs.

Game packs can have different sizes too. So EA can start by releasing small game packs which only cost $19.99 and then maybe later release bigger game packs which cost twice as much. So EA really doesn't need to release anything on DVDs except the base game. I think that is EA's new strategy against piracy.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member

My guess would be that they replacing both stuff packs and expansion packs with digital downloads called game packs. That way EA can fight piracy in a better way and at the same time keep all the profit instead of sharing it with other stores.

EA's strategy seems to be to teach people to use Origin by releasing the base game with less content and then compensate by releasing a lot of free stuff in patches which can only be downloaded. That way people will learn to use Origin and EA won't need to release neither stuff pack nor expansion packs on DVDs.

I can't say it's a bad strategy. It has worked before with the Store. We got 1,000 points for free and got acquainted with the Store!
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    No idea. I will look at it later on down the road.
  • DCPuppyGirlDCPuppyGirl Posts: 1,318 Member
    I am cautiously optimistic about this. I hope it will be worth the $20.
    5dK3aTu.gif
  • simsluvr90simsluvr90 Posts: 3,030 Member
    mattgstl wrote: »
    xJDLKx wrote: »
    I've asked this before but can't remember where :( (hope you don't mind me asking) but are there any prepaid cards for origin as I don't want to put my card details on there, I hope so otherwise I won't be buying them :(
    You can untick a box at the billing process to say that you do not want EA to store your details. There are also game cards for origin that you can buy in store if you want.

Im pretty sure you can buy origin points or something at target and walmart
  • IrishSimsloverIrishSimslover Posts: 715 Member
    I've asked this before but can't remember where :( (hope you don't mind me asking) but are there any prepaid cards for origin as I don't want to put my card details on there, I hope so otherwise I won't be buying them :(

I think they're called 'EA cash cards.' They run in $20 increments and you redeem them on origin where the funds go into your 'EA wallet.'

Hope this helps you out. I can understand about not wanting to store your card on the site. I tend to not do it either as a precaution/way to keep me from overspending.
    tumblr_inline_ml9leeQUvj1qz4rgp.jpg
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

Game packs can have different sizes too. So EA can start by releasing small game packs which only cost $19.99 and then maybe later release bigger game packs which cost twice as much. So EA really doesn't need to release anything on DVDs except the base game. I think that is EA's new strategy against piracy.

This is what worries me. I'm one of those people who wants a disc in my hand. I want a physical copy of whatever I buy.

I want to know more about how these game packs are going to go. Not too concerned with Sims 4, but if there's a Sims 5 (and I happen to like it) the success or failure of this will definitely play a roll in how 5 is done when it come to new content.

Ultimately, I'm curious and would warn caution on this until probably three Game Packs in.

To be honest, this seems like a stuff pack with premium content added and that's really how SP's should've been from the start. More premium content that sims can interact with and packed full of stuff from interactive items to décor.

Please, for the sake of all people who love the Sims 4, let Game Packs be filled with all kinds of stuff. :smile:
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • xJDLKxxJDLKx Posts: 313 Member

I think they're called 'EA cash cards.' They run in $20 increments and you redeem them on origin where the funds go into your 'EA wallet.'

Hope this helps you out. I can understand about not wanting to store your card on the site. I tend to not do it either as a precaution/way to keep me from overspending.

Oh can we get them in the UK? I looked on Amazon but had no luck :( aha I would definitely overspend to, if or when you remove your card details would they show up in purchase history?

Origin ID:Jessicaaa77
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I much prefer expansions to game packs, but whatever works, I guess.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    I never liked stuff packs, game packs, or venues. I much prefer (especially now) that The Sims Studio make only Expansion Packs. I want to see well thought out, detailed, and creative EPs. I want to see them take all of their creative efforts and put it into a couple EPs instead spreading themselves so thin and giving us something like 9 EPs, 15 SPs, and a partridge in a pear tree.
  • Kuypers125Kuypers125 Posts: 781 Member
    edited January 2015

Game packs can have different sizes too. So EA can start by releasing small game packs which only cost $19.99 and then maybe later release bigger game packs which cost twice as much.

It's been clearly explained that all Gamepacks will be between Stuff Packs & Expansion packs in size.
    Which probably means that they'll be releasing full-sized expansion packs as well at some point.
  • HCSauHCSau Posts: 506 Member
    I bought it today. I did think about waiting for it to go down in price, but £14.99 seemed so reasonable that I thought I'd take a deep breath and take the plunge.
    Now that I have, I can say that it's really a good deal.* I've already taken my newly married sim couple on holiday, and I had a really good time playing, not so sure my sims enjoyed the bugs at them though! But my female sim has taken to the herbal skill (the real name has left me!), and she's already able to brew plenty of bug repellent.
    The new skill makes gardening more than a morning chore because you're brewing concoctions with the new plants and bugs that will make sleeping in the woods easier. There's new gameplay that is fun. The new fashions and hairstyles are really nice, so thankfully I'm not disappointed. It's good! :) (*)

*My opinion only, of course! And I only downloaded it today, so don't know all about it. ;)
    HSau :)
  • yunagarnetyunagarnet Posts: 417 Member
    I would rather have game packs than stuff packs tbh. Outdoor Retreat - along with the free updates - seems like a step in the right direction. Hopefully EA doesn't screw it all up again.
    “Honestly, we didn’t meet player expectations at launch, and that was a difficult pill to swallow,” - The Sims 4 executive producer, Rachel Franklin.