Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

General Discussion Etiquette – PLEASE READ

Comments

• Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    An interesting and too-easy mistake to make.. ..
    Including repurposing of words with other meanings, an Internet/Computer age staple that I missed here which can be annoying in and of itself.
    But never mind all that. I had been on forums which solved this problem before it started via good old fashioned "Good Housekeeping".
    Done with diligence by those in charge. It's not all that difficult or time-consuming a task. When a thread "ages out" Lock it out. Ditto if its topic becomes obsolete sooner than expected, as in a bug fixed or an update issued.
    Alas, by now in here, there are probably so many piled up in the archives that can be brought back to the fore with a single post that the moderation team probably doesn't have the time to chase them all down and lock them.

Since New Years is less than two weeks away it might be something to consider as we turn the calendars. Tackle that mountain of neglected laundry one dirty pair of socks at a time.
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Shadoza2 wrote: »
    Mods: idk how much it's been brought up here but...

Necromancy is happening far too much on this forum recently. Too frequently to be coincidence...
    It is very annoying.

People are pulling them from the Best Of... page.
    I really don't see a problem with it. If one does not have a comment, they can avoid it. If one has a comment, does it matter how old the post is?

I never use the best of page. It should omit threads that are more than a month old.
    It's mainly annoying because it's dead threads being brought back, where the ones who posted in it have likely forgotten or stopped caring about it. Age of a thread isn't shown on the list of threads in each forum section, so it's impossible to tell until you open it. A lot of titles can be misleading that way, if they are of old glitches that have been fixed.

I do use Best of... I have all the TS4 threads hidden because I do not have that game. The Best off is the only way I see popular posts that are addressing general issues within the TS4 threads such as this one.

I do not find old posts annoying. If they are informative or entertaining, I do not see where age matters. It seems the issue of "old" posts is more a personal preference.
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    Mods: idk how much it's been brought up here but...

Necromancy is happening far too much on this forum recently. Too frequently to be coincidence...
    It is very annoying.

People are pulling them from the Best Of... page.
    I really don't see a problem with it. If one does not have a comment, they can avoid it. If one has a comment, does it matter how old the post is?

I never use the best of page. It should omit threads that are more than a month old.
    It's mainly annoying because it's dead threads being brought back, where the ones who posted in it have likely forgotten or stopped caring about it. Age of a thread isn't shown on the list of threads in each forum section, so it's impossible to tell until you open it. A lot of titles can be misleading that way, if they are of old glitches that have been fixed.

I do use Best of... I have all the TS4 threads hidden because I do not have that game. The Best off is the only way I see popular posts that are addressing general issues within the TS4 threads such as this one.

I do not find old posts annoying. If they are informative or entertaining, I do not see where age matters. It seems the issue of "old" posts is more a personal preference.

Personally, I'd rather have an old post resurrected than 115 different posts about the same exact issue. That's my biggest peeve - people that don't even check to see if there is already a post dealing with their topic. I've seen it tons since the Black Friday sales, & even more so since the latest patch.
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Not a problem with them existing. They do help in that's respect, the annoyance is more when they are posted in again.
    Since I've never used the best of page, I guess I didn't notice it can be customised to show certain things?
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Bringing back a thread that was started even before the game launched is annoying in itself because it can often stir up flames long after the incident has died down...because newcomers (and sometimes veterans like myself) don't check the date and see that the thread was posted 3-4 months ago and the issue has long since been resolved and died down. It's always a good idea to check the thread dates along with the title, before you read the thread so that you get a sense of whether there's any need to comment. For example, a thread dated on August 2nd that has a title like: "What? No Toddlers?" has already been pretty much discussed and died down if the last post was done in August, so posting something like: "Yeah, so what, get over it! The game's been out 4 months already!" only serves to make the player who posted that look foolish because someone will come right along and post: "Dead thread, Fred" or "Necromancy, much?" or words to that effect. (In some cases, more than one person)

So, not a good idea to resurrect a thread that's more than 60 days old, unless the topic is still relevant.

Considering that a threads can be found and entered directly by search engines, I think the people who post "Necromancy" are the ones who are annoying. Say someone bought TS4 without being informed. They can't find their toddlers and do a search "No toddlers in TS4" or the like and they get an old thread link, pop in see 30+ pages of comments and decided to reply to the first page. For them the issue is current and relevant. If it really matters so much, then the mods should look to MTS for the solution. MTS has a time tracker at the bottom of threads where users posts... and they have agree and disagree buttons and you can press more than one :heart_eyes:

I do agree with you that we need the agree/disagree buttons back. However, I'm not letting the newbie off so easily. Anyone new to a forum should know to lurk around the new forum until they get the lay of the land; that's only common sense. When someone comes into a forum, doesn't bother to read, and as you said, does a search for a topic, and again, doesn't bother to read more than the first page and doesn't bother to check the date...they just want to post something, *anything*, and their first post is usually a snarky one...that type of newbie deserves at least a slap on the wrist.

In real life, people don't read. They just rush in and post their opinions without thinking.

I disagree. I feel if a person is comfortable using fora, they will do searches rather than lurk. It may not matter to them which date is on the post because the issue is real in the "right now" for them. To be rude to people reading or commenting on old threads is not showing respect. In my real life, I read. So...it is a matter of personal preferences....and habits.
  • Options
    Not a problem with them existing. They do help in that's respect, the annoyance is more when they are posted in again.
    Since I've never used the best of page, I guess I didn't notice it can be customised to show certain things?

As far as I know, the Best of... page cannot be customized.
  • Options
    Miki wrote: »
    Including repurposing of words with other meanings, an Internet/Computer age staple that I missed here which can be annoying in and of itself.
    But never mind all that. I had been on forums which solved this problem before it started via good old fashioned "Good Housekeeping".
    Done with diligence by those in charge. It's not all that difficult or time-consuming a task. When a thread "ages out" Lock it out. Ditto if its topic becomes obsolete sooner than expected, as in a bug fixed or an update issued.
    Alas, by now in here, there are probably so many piled up in the archives that can be brought back to the fore with a single post that the moderation team probably doesn't have the time to chase them all down and lock them.

Since New Years is less than two weeks away it might be something to consider as we turn the calendars. Tackle that mountain of neglected laundry one dirty pair of socks at a time.

The Sims games go back for over a decade, to suggest clearing out all the aged posts is to suggest that old game information is no longer useful. I prefer to have a choice to read (and comment if the subject calls for it) on any post from any time. I do not understand why one would find deleting aged posts necessary other than if it were a thread that caused trouble. Trouble posts are removed or locked before they become aged, so that shouldn't be an issue. Even if it were a glitch or bug that had been cured, someone just starting out on the game may not have the update or patch for it; they will be able to find information on the threads regarding that cure.
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member

The Sims games go back for over a decade, to suggest clearing out all the aged posts is to suggest that old game information is no longer useful. I prefer to have a choice to read (and comment if the subject calls for it) on any post from any time. I do not understand why one would find deleting aged posts necessary other than if it were a thread that caused trouble. Trouble posts are removed or locked before they become aged, so that shouldn't be an issue. Even if it were a glitch or bug that had been cured, someone just starting out on the game may not have the update or patch for it; they will be able to find information on the threads regarding that cure.

I did not say "clear them out" I said "When they age out, lock them out."
    Perhaps the dirty laundry metaphor misled you.

Locking out no-longer-relevant threads means they can be read but not commented on further, in so doing they stay in the forum's museum.

• Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited December 2014

I did not say "clear them out" I said "When they age out, lock them out."
    Perhaps the dirty laundry metaphor misled you.

Locking out no-longer-relevant threads means they can be read but not commented on further, in so doing they stay in the forum's museum.

There have been a lot of old threads popping up. Sometimes it is people most likely new using the search engine. Sometimes for no particular reason other then possible trolling. Making old unused threads read only seems like a logical answer to me. The reason I say unused is that builders, storytellers, and CAW builders, etc. usually have threads that they use to showcase their work. Those should be left alone.

Also annoying is having the same threads over and over again. Example: Simport- I need friends.

• Options
    If old threads are locked out for comment, then we will see more repeated threads as the one that is found cannot be commented on. Example: some people are playing TS3 and need friends to port in/out an entertainer for achievements. If that thread is closed for comment, then new threads will pop up.

I do not understand how commenting in old posts is annoying since one has a choice to read/comment or pass them by. Would someone please explain in simple words? Other than obvious angry posts, I don't see the harm.
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Well if it's a a new thread about an old problem, then it should demonstrated how that problem still hasn't been fixed.
    Most of the time I see annoying repetition of thread is with recent news, which suddenly everybody is making identical threads within hours.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited December 2014
    But when Simport was released pages and pages of looking for friends threads were added. It seemed like everyone and their uncle thought they had to make their own personal thread. If you asked them to form a main thread for this, it was met with disagreement. If someone asked for a thread today it would not be like that. Now it would just be another thread that was not taking over the pages.

It is more of a problem because people overlook dates. Some of those things have already been resolved. Some may unintentionally or intentionally just stir up a old hornets nest that is better left alone.

• Options
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    But when Simport was released pages and pages of looking for friends threads were added. It seemed like everyone and their uncle thought they had to make their own personal thread. If you asked them to form a main thread for this, it was met with disagreement. If someone asked for a thread today it would not be like that. Now it would just be another thread that was not taking over the pages.

It is more of a problem because people overlook dates. Some of those things have already been resolved. Some may unintentionally or intentionally just stir up a old hornets nest that is better left alone.

I agree that kicking hornet's nest is bad.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i think the only thing that could prevent the bring back of dead thred would be for the gurus to lock (close dead threads) to prevent such threads being bump back to page 1
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I'd say necromancy should be handled like MTS does it. A message at the bottom that says it's been awhile since the post was last posted in. And then when they try to post it pops up as well just as a double check.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    edited December 2014
    Or better yet. Give them the option to be closed down after a long time of inactivity. That way, they don't have to be unnecessarily deleted as others might need some information provided by that thread.

If they simply need to give feedback, all they have to do is make a new one.
  • Options
    I'd rather have a warning that the thread hasn't been posted on in a while and a confirmation when posting.

And maybe a rule about not posting on a thread with such a warning unless you have something constructive to add. Then if we posters see pointless necromancy, we can report it and it can be dealt with (either posts removed or thread locked if the issue has been resolved, like if a future EP gives us toddlers a "No Toddlers" thread would be fine with closing since it's not an issue anymore).

Or the story writer who goes on hiatus for several months and no one replies to his thread after a few weeks. Does their thread deserved to be locked due to inactivity? Unfortunately, I don't hold much hope that the automatic locking of threads would be able to exclude certain forums. Since there are some threads that are the type to not get replies for a long time but would not be the type of thread where necromancy would be frowned upon, my suggestion would be the wisest.

Now if they can remove the Bugs/Tech Support section and the Stories sections, and the Creations sections, as well as the Sims section (like Sims 2, Sims Medieval, that section), then we can talk.

In my opinion Bugs/Tech Support threads should be closed the moment the OP's issue has been resolved, there should be 0 chance of necromancy for those threads.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    I'd rather have a warning that the thread hasn't been posted on in a while and a confirmation when posting.

And maybe a rule about not posting on a thread with such a warning unless you have something constructive to add. Then if we posters see pointless necromancy, we can report it and it can be dealt with (either posts removed or thread locked if the issue has been resolved, like if a future EP gives us toddlers a "No Toddlers" thread would be fine with closing since it's not an issue anymore).

Or the story writer who goes on hiatus for several months and no one replies to his thread after a few weeks. Does their thread deserved to be locked due to inactivity? Unfortunately, I don't hold much hope that the automatic locking of threads would be able to exclude certain forums. Since there are some threads that are the type to not get replies for a long time but would not be the type of thread where necromancy would be frowned upon, my suggestion would be the wisest.

Now if they can remove the Bugs/Tech Support section and the Stories sections, and the Creations sections, as well as the Sims section (like Sims 2, Sims Medieval, that section), then we can talk.

In my opinion Bugs/Tech Support threads should be closed the moment the OP's issue has been resolved, there should be 0 chance of necromancy for those threads.

I am just not understanding why some folks are against old posts being revived. If the content is relevant to someone than it still has a value. Since no one is forced to post on any thread, why does the age matter? (Barring Troll posts, of course, which will likely be locked already.) To ask that old threads be locked out because someone might post in it because they didn't check the date is suggesting that one person's activity be upset because of a second person's lack of attention. It seems to me that we are not respecting a user if we make choices of which posts are pointed and which are pointless for them.. Responding to an aged thread does not hinder anyone else's activity; however, we are too willing to hinder the activity of the one who believes the content of the thread is still valid.

I always confuses me when a suggestion is made to limit the rights or activities of others because they aren't interested in partaking in that activity. Let us not be so quick to take something away from someone else because we don't use it.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I agree with you @Shadoza2‌ . By all means if it's trolling then report and the moderators will deal with it. Otherwise it seems to me that the purpose of this thread was that people try to give others the benefit of the doubt over why they do certain things so we create a more welcoming atmosphere for everyone.
  • Options
    Seera1024 wrote: »

I am just not understanding why some folks are against old posts being revived. If the content is relevant to someone than it still has a value. Since no one is forced to post on any thread, why does the age matter? (Barring Troll posts, of course, which will likely be locked already.) To ask that old threads be locked out because someone might post in it because they didn't check the date is suggesting that one person's activity be upset because of a second person's lack of attention. It seems to me that we are not respecting a user if we make choices of which posts are pointed and which are pointless for them.. Responding to an aged thread does not hinder anyone else's activity; however, we are too willing to hinder the activity of the one who believes the content of the thread is still valid.

I always confuses me when a suggestion is made to limit the rights or activities of others because they aren't interested in partaking in that activity. Let us not be so quick to take something away from someone else because we don't use it.

Exactly. But it doesn't hurt to make it a bit more obvious that it's an old post.

Tech necromancy posters get hurt by the drive by helpers who think that the thread is new so they read the first post and post suggestions based on that. Which may hurt the person who necro'd the post if their situation isn't completely identical. They would get more help by posting their own thread instead of a reply to another's post.
  • Options
    SweetieTreatsSweetieTreats Posts: 2,668 Member
    @SimGuruBChick‌

Honestly, I don't think Bambi is a good example. If animals really had that mentality a lot less of them would survive hunting season.

The reason I feel the general discussion is not a fun place is because the topics are no longer fun. The topics used to be about what people discovered in their games, questions people had that didn't belong in the other areas of the forum, speculation of things to come, and articles written about the game. Now most of the topics in the general discussion section are about what people like about the game and what they don't. This is very repetitive. The topics include: "this {insert feature here} isn't in the game", "I am leaving the forums because {insert reason here}", "The Sims 4 is a failed online game", "I like/hate {insert feature here}" in the game. There are also a variety of topics posted that belong in other sections of the forums such as tech help questions, showcases, mods, etc.

I think the Gurus made the mistake by setting this type of tone for the general discussion section by having several threads stickied at that top that are asking feedback and opinions on the game. Honestly, these threads created by the SimGurus belong in the ideas and feedback section. How do SimGurus expect players to follow rules when they don't even follow them themselves? I think it would be more beneficial if SimGurus lead by example rather than chastising the community for reacting to the tone they set on the forums. I think it was SimGuruRyan who said SimGurus love it when players yell at them. This comment right here lowered the general respect some people have for the SimGurus and other people on the forums. Some people see it as if the SimGuru was saying that players can yell and and say anything they want. I don't blame players for the general tone of the general discussion forum, I blame the SimGurus.

The other issue that may make some people leave is the favoritism in the general discussion about certain topics. For example, there are 100s of topics about the Mac release in the General Discussion but if someone posts about a Linux release, the topic is moved to the ideas and feedback section. Also, some petitions such as ones on Open for Business remain in the general discussion while others asking for less popular ideas are moved to the ideas and feedback section. All ideas, feedback, and petitions should be moved to the ideas and feedback section. All topics that don't belong in the general discussion forums should be moved to the correct section of the forums. All players who continuously post in the wrong section should receive warnings.

If the SimGurus want the general discussion forum to have the quirkiness that it used to have, SimGurus need to brainstorm and think of ways to bring it back rather than creating and focusing on the rude people. Every forum is going to have rude people and bullies and if the community is organized and build strong enough, those people will leave.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    @SimGuruBChick‌

Honestly, I don't think Bambi is a good example. If animals really had that mentality a lot less of them would survive hunting season.

The reason I feel the general discussion is not a fun place is because the topics are no longer fun. The topics used to be about what people discovered in their games, questions people had that didn't belong in the other areas of the forum, speculation of things to come, and articles written about the game. Now most of the topics in the general discussion section are about what people like about the game and what they don't. This is very repetitive. The topics include: "this {insert feature here} isn't in the game", "I am leaving the forums because {insert reason here}", "The Sims 4 is a failed online game", "I like/hate {insert feature here}" in the game. There are also a variety of topics posted that belong in other sections of the forums such as tech help questions, showcases, mods, etc.

I think the Gurus made the mistake by setting this type of tone for the general discussion section by having several threads stickied at that top that are asking feedback and opinions on the game. Honestly, these threads created by the SimGurus belong in the ideas and feedback section. How do SimGurus expect players to follow rules when they don't even follow them themselves? I think it would be more beneficial if SimGurus lead by example rather than chastising the community for reacting to the tone they set on the forums. I think it was SimGuruRyan who said SimGurus love it when players yell at them. This comment right here lowered the general respect some people have for the SimGurus and other people on the forums. Some people see it as if the SimGuru was saying that players can yell and and say anything they want. I don't blame players for the general tone of the general discussion forum, I blame the SimGurus.

The other issue that may make some people leave is the favoritism in the general discussion about certain topics. For example, there are 100s of topics about the Mac release in the General Discussion but if someone posts about a Linux release, the topic is moved to the ideas and feedback section. Also, some petitions such as ones on Open for Business remain in the general discussion while others asking for less popular ideas are moved to the ideas and feedback section. All ideas, feedback, and petitions should be moved to the ideas and feedback section. All topics that don't belong in the general discussion forums should be moved to the correct section of the forums. All players who continuously post in the wrong section should receive warnings.

If the SimGurus want the general discussion forum to have the quirkiness that it used to have, SimGurus need to brainstorm and think of ways to bring it back rather than creating and focusing on the rude people. Every forum is going to have rude people and bullies and if the community is organized and build strong enough, those people will leave.

I have said this repeatedly. The Gurus knew exactly what they were doing when they made the separate forums and started relegating the undesirable threads to Ideas/Feedback. SimguruBChick posted a message to "address" my post about how her and the mods actions made this forum far more unpleasant for me than the bickering she was making a fuss over, and she claimed that the separate forums were created for efficiency. However, she forgot to follow up why other feedback threads (overtly titled so) were still in the general section and pinned there for that matter. She also forgot to move those posts to the Ideas/Feeback threads as well, perhaps... :unamused:

Either that or SimguruBChick was bold enough lie outright about burying bad publicity threads yet not bold enough to be honest and say: "Well nanashi, while we at EA believe all threads are equal, some threads in this forum are more equal than others."

I would have left this forum with more respect for the mods had this been the case.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    I can say that some simmers on this forum are totaly rude and disrespecful and calling fellow simmers name is disrespecful, i am seriously considering leaving this forum because of some disrespecful simmers. And also it would be nice if we could have the power to moderate or profiles and delete unwanted comments, to be honest i think this forum needs a rule that name calling is cause for a permaban with no possibilaty of return.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    sirpadfoot42sirpadfoot42 Posts: 40 Member
    > @Shadoza2 said:
    > I am just not understanding why some folks are against old posts being revived. If the content is relevant to someone than it still has a value. Since no one is forced to post on any thread, why does the age matter? (Barring Troll posts, of course, which will likely be locked already.) To ask that old threads be locked out because someone might post in it because they didn't check the date is suggesting that one person's activity be upset because of a second person's lack of attention. It seems to me that we are not respecting a user if we make choices of which posts are pointed and which are pointless for them.. Responding to an aged thread does not hinder anyone else's activity; however, we are too willing to hinder the activity of the one who believes the content of the thread is still valid.
    >
    > I always confuses me when a suggestion is made to limit the rights or activities of others because they aren't interested in partaking in that activity. Let us not be so quick to take something away from someone else because we don't use it.

I agree, here. For example, I've been registered here since 2011, but I only started reading and commenting on posts last week (hence my new member status). I go through posts and if I see something that catches my attention, I'll think, "oh! I'm having that exact problem right now!" and so I post on them. I don't necessarily think to check when the last comment was, and I don't see why it would annoy people if that was brought back up (unless, of course, it was a bug that was fixed. However, I feel at that point that the original post should be edited to reflect that, because I do always try to read at least the first page or two of a post). So yeah, I don't always check the dates on the latest comments to see if it's a week or two old.
    Valar Morghulis.
    gif345_zpshthqe2cw.gif

• Options
    frostpotfrostpot Posts: 208 Member
    General forum ettiqute? Teach the gurus who deleted my discussions for no reason that. Maybe put your trigger finger off the clicker.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top