Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims, a girl game?

NekuNeku Posts: 5 New Member
After recent discussions with classmates, it seems that the general consensus is that The Sims is a girl game. Now, I'm a guy and I've been playing The Sims since it's very first installment, I love the way it gives my the ability to create a world, my own characters, their own personality and their own story, it's all extremely entertaining and a rich experience. I don't see why it's seen as a girls game in the publics eyes. Can anyone explain, or give their own opinion on the matter?

Thanks.

Comments

• CrackseedCrackseed Posts: 5,209 Member
    Neku wrote: ยป
    After recent discussions with classmates, it seems that the general consensus is that The Sims is a girl game. Now, I'm a guy and I've been playing The Sims since it's very first installment, I love the way it gives my the ability to create a world, my own characters, their own personality and their own story, it's all extremely entertaining and a rich experience. I don't see why it's seen as a girls game in the publics eyes. Can anyone explain, or give their own opinion on the matter?<br />
    <br />
    Thanks.

It's the stigma that this type of game appeals more to women "playing house" as it were - it's completely idiotic of course but you know, men play the testosterone driven things like shooters and RPGs where you woo women by the droves and girls play dollhouse with Sims and all those feel good things.

๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ says I.
    y9UdOhq.png
    "My spirit animal can beat up your spirit animal"
    ~ Origin ID: DaCrackseed ~
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,819 Member
    It's a silly stereotype. In the sense that because it has a doll house feel to it that it's only for girls, just like some people assume girls can't play Call Of Duty, I've even seen posts on other sites in which people still think only guys play video games at all.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    My son (who is now 30) was the first one in our family to play (Sims 1). My daughter and I caught our love of the game from him.

Gender-typing games and activities is something school kids (and sometimes adults) do far too often. There is nothing that says pink is for girls and blue is for boys, except for societal teachings. There is nothing that says girls must play with dolls and boys must play with trucks. These are outmoded ideas. My suggestion is to not listen to your classmates, take the more mature route of not gender-typing activities, and enjoy your game.
  • kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    I assume some see it as girls game as there are no guns, visual fighting or actual violence, and there is a huge emphasis on creating people and their houses.

To me though the game is what you make of it. It doesn't just have to be build a house, get married have babies, die etc, sure it can be if you want to play that way. However, if you want to you could create a pack of evil vampires who live in a secret lair, and are determined to wipe out the sim population. ;)
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,166 Member
    It's the old belief that its a dolls house game . Both myself and my wife have played it since the start with The Sims 1 and have enjoyed many hours . Don't worry what people think , just enjoy it
  • KingofSimsKingofSims Posts: 371 Member
    It's probably because The Sims sort of has a "dollhouse" element to it, and CAS is kind off like playing "dress up" or something. The original title was actually supposed to be called Dollhouse or something, but they changed it to The Sims to attract the male audience. But generally, it's really not a "girly" game nor a "manly" game. It's simply a life simulation game; plus since when is building houses a girly thing, you know? Your classmates are either ignorant or they probably never even played the game before. Just don't worry about what they think. It's their loss. Quite frankly, I'm sick of the whole gender role thing; it's silly. Play what you want to play.
  • CrocketsCrockets Posts: 127 Member
    If you get the number of percentage between the girl and boy who play five different games you will find out girls play Sims ALOT more then other games. Here are few games for example:

1. Battlefield/CoD Franchise
    2. Mass effect/Dragon Age/TES Series
    3. The Sims Series
    4. Metro
    5. Bioshock

Out of the above 5 do you think male/female ratio in each game is equal? Definitely not. There is a reason why Sims is called a girl game. Try visiting other games forums and you will hardly see any female there but in sims every 2nd poster is usually a female.
  • Sebbe_Debbe123Sebbe_Debbe123 Posts: 129 Member
    People have always asked why I play The sims, and I have always answered that it's because I enjoy it. I get asked sometimes why I do not play violent games that often as others boys do, but seriously.. almost all violent games are the same, shoot kill die. I don't like those people who think that all boys play violent games and that all girls play non-violent games. it's almost as I would get asked why i'm wearing a pink shirt, isn't that a girls color? And no it isn't. There is no such thing as colors for boys and colors for girls.
  • Cross182Cross182 Posts: 33 Member
    It's not really a girl game per say. Tho it does have a high female fan base.
  • SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    Dollhouse game? Lol I bought Sims 1 for the express purpose of being able to kill the them off so my head wouldn't explode if I'd had a bad day. >:)
  • h2onailsh2onails Posts: 155 Member
    I don't know any guys that play.. But I don't know that many people lol.
    selfish and lazy and greedy
  • bekkilynbekkilyn Posts: 192 Member
    There's no such thing as a "girl's game" or a "boy's game." Every game is for everyone who wants to play it regardless of gender. There are many people of all genders and ages playing sims games as well as many other types of games.

Rebecca
  • CrocketsCrockets Posts: 127 Member
    People have always asked why I play The sims, and I have always answered that it's because I enjoy it. I get asked sometimes why I do not play violent games that often as others boys do, but seriously.. almost all violent games are the same, shoot kill die. I don't like those people who think that all boys play violent games and that all girls play non-violent games. it's almost as I would get asked why i'm wearing a pink shirt, isn't that a girls color? And no it isn't. There is no such thing as colors for boys and colors for girls.

Its not about that, its about majority, in my WoW Core raiding team (25 players), 1 was girl who played hunter DPS role (usually girls play healer) and she was rather good at it. I have played dota with girls, I have seen girls playing team fortress 2 soldier/demoman but that doesn't mean majority does. Those are pretty rare cases, after browsing 10 servers with 24 players playing in it finding 1 or 2 girls doesn't immediately means all girls like to play CoD.
    Sims on the other hand has lot of female gamers, I wouldn't be surprised if the simmer game base was 50/50 male/female or even more females.
  • DizziestSimsDizziestSims Posts: 788 Member
    edited September 2014
    Gender-typing games or anything else is so played out.
    What is this the 1980's?
    From the creator of Robinson Family, Dizziest Sims is a reboot of the storytelling series with all new family and friends! dizziestsims.com #DizziestSims
  • SnuggieQueenSnuggieQueen Posts: 231 Member
    One of my classes is in a large lecture room and people sometimes bring their laptops to take notes. When you're sitting behind someone, it's hard not to creep and see what they're doing. I noticed that the guy in front of me had every single expansion from 3 on his desktop as well as the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. After class, I asked him if he was interested in 4.

He looked so embarrassed, lol. It was as if I had found a box of naughty VHS tapes in the back of his closet. None of the women I've met on campus have had that reaction. It was a bit strange, but I understand.

Guys, there's nothing wrong with liking a game like this. I wouldn't get weird looks if I said that I loved fps games. Why feed into a double standard?
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,859 Member
    edited September 2014
    I think it's a game for people who don't like shooter and violence games. Be they males or females. I think there's a bit of a stereotype in calling it a girls game though (I don't think that was your intent OP, you were basically saying that stereotype exists already, and I think that's very true.)

It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Fyjal2631Fyjal2631 Posts: 78 Member
    edited September 2014
    I don't think that sims or any other game should be gender only, everyone is different and so that means that everyone can love the ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ they want. Games are like Music, everyone like their kind of music and no one should even bash about it. It's a personal choice, a personal opinion it's yours to decide.
  • NolthermoNolthermo Posts: 139 Member
    Sorry, but If you create game where you while advertising present mostly very musculated men, make training one of the main pillars of the game and make it all about creating virtual people - which almost everyone calls selfsims although they idealize them the way they wish to look like not the way they actually look like -, and it is about relationships between these people, it is according to nowadays stereotypes girl or gaymen game. Not saying it is good to think like this, but it is truth.

I've always wanted developers to return to the roots of the game in The Sims 1 and make it family game once again. This way you create Sims only as a part of the game, as one generation, while game would be focused on playing more than ten generations step by step. That way it wouldn't be that weird.

Yet still it would be weird. People around me still don't prefer The Sims or Spore game, they play violent ones instead. I find these games good only at certain aspects, but I don't judge them. I understand their logic. I am gay thus I am used to people think about me stereotypically. I play these games because of the creativity. I like to express my own creativity. SPORE is not perfect but it is good for it, too.

If you want exact answer for your question, it would be too long. Let's say, 1970's - 1980's in Britain and women are still supposed to be in kitchen and serve the guests. Woman that would not serve guests properly would be shame for the husband and husband would be recommended to "correct" her by slap or two. 30 years changed a lot (you can see man bullied by their wifes or very ambitious women and last but not least feministic campaign), but to make stereotypes disappear, we'll need to wait more decades. But prepare that people of that age will be that free to express anti-stereotypeness and theirselves the civilization is going to be weird.
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    If it wasn't for my big brother, I don't think i would have ever found the sims 1. I get what you mean about the dollhouse feel, I think it's one of the reasons why he bought the game for us. Because as a little girl, that's mostly what I'd play with,and he always tried to get me to play video games in order for us to bond more (and to keep me out of trouble) but it was sort of a fail. So one random day he said he had a great game for the both of us and I remember frowning like "not another game x-x" and then to my surprise it was actually a game that both he and I could relate to and enjoy. The sims, I believe taught me more things than one as a kid. But one big one is to never judge a book by it's cover. Because later after playing the sims, it did sort of open me to other games my brother wanted to buy me.

To this very day my brother has the whole TS1 collection tucked somewhere in his house (wish i knew where it was =.= lol). I bet every now and then he still plays it too considering that he has daughters of his own now. But to answer your question, No I don't think it's "just" a girl's game. As a matter of fact, I was rather surprised to find out that my ex-boyfriend was (still is) a simmer while we were dating. I remember saying "Hmm I think i'll play the sims." and he's like "OMG I LOVE THE SIMS" lol it was an epic match right there xD. I think many guys are seeing that it's beyond a girls game, I just hope more open their heart to it....my current boyfriend isn't a fan of it (Even though he bought the new Sims 4 for me and didn't tell me till our anniversary lol).
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member

Before WWI that pink was a 'strong' colour for boys and girls had blue colour. IT wasn't until the 1940s we have the pink=girls boys=blue. Also those ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ should be told that once upon a time each gender wore dresses from the time of baby until age 6.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • ZarekZarek Posts: 1 New Member
    Some people call the Sims an electronic Barbie, but I'm a 50 year old man and I've been playing the Sims since the very first game came out. I have The Sims and all its Expansion Packs (EPs), I have Sims 2 and all its EP and stuff packs (SPs), I have Sims 3 and all its EPs and SPs. Now I have Sims 4 and will probably get the EPs and SPs as they come out... Doesn't matter whether you are male or female, if you enjoy playing, just play. Those that think less of you because you do are not worth your time...
  • EsnesNommocEsnesNommoc Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited December 2014
    Zarek wrote: ยป
    Some people call the Sims an electronic Barbie, but I'm a 50 year old man and I've been playing the Sims since the very first game came out. I have The Sims and all its Expansion Packs (EPs), I have Sims 2 and all its EP and stuff packs (SPs), I have Sims 3 and all its EPs and SPs. Now I have Sims 4 and will probably get the EPs and SPs as they come out... Doesn't matter whether you are male or female, if you enjoy playing, just play. Those that think less of you because you do are not worth your time...

This. :kissing_smiling_eyes:
  • FraTacFraTac Posts: 854 Member
    Back when TS1 was new and I was 15-16, I remember that it was really cool and a lot of guys played it like me. I have no idea about now, since I grew a bit older by now :smiley:
    xWGF2yb.png
    Simmin' since 2000