Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Toddlers cut partially because of Simmers themselves & how S4 dlc works...

Comments

• Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    qrlcode wrote: »
    @stilljustme2‌ That's such a good compromise. Patching makes them part of the base game for future expansion but there's also an option for EA to make money (and the reality is they need it to keep developing the game).

Maybe the option to customize life stages will come back is people can spend as much or as little time as they want with toddlers (and everyone else).

In Sims 3 Seasons, there was the Weather Stone that only activated if you had Supernatural also installed -- could they do something similar with toddler animations/objects/CAS? I'm just trying to think of a way to get toddlers in game, but for those who hate hate HATE them (or so they claim), they can avoid them. (Other option would be an option to turn off the age stage, but that might be beyond the game engine's capability.)

Well in the sims 4 you can age up anyone with a cake so seeing a toddler for 5 seconds while you do that shouldn't be a huge issue. I don't think we need to toggle them in game options at all.

Thank you! There's plenty of things I hate that other people love-I'd never dream of campaigning expecting to continue to deprive others just because it's not the way I play.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Well said @Cinebar :smile:
    Yes @SelenaGrey I was just pointing out even if what the OP says is true that it's not a reliable data set in which to draw conclusions from when there's no one critically analysing why the statistics read like they do :smile:
    I never meant to imply that it was reliable, just that it's more reliable than the sample size of the forums.

I'll use the example of Leliana from Dragon Age again and the devs being completely shocked at how popular a character she was among fans -- ignoring that the actual reason why so many people romanced her was due to a bug in the code.

Telemetry has issues. Data analysis is actually not a simple thing, and many people who are not qualified to read and interpret data do so anyway (and this goes beyond the gaming industry).

• Options
    sirpadfoot42sirpadfoot42 Posts: 40 Member
    @sparkfairy1
    >
    > Yes of course. But I think this time there were resentments about sims3 carried onto sims4 and with the savage cuts people have finally broken that buy everything spell. Trust me I own everything minus some minor dlc that wasn't to my taste and Katy perry so I was that customer too. No longer. They took it far too far

Ha, me too! The Katy Perry EP had me going, "wh-why...?" So I never got that one. But yeah, I know what you mean. Like I've said previously, I really don't know if I'll put anymore money into this game.
    Valar Morghulis.
    gif345_zpshthqe2cw.gif

• Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    The forums represent a very small portion of the actual playerbase though, so we can't really go off those numbers. The Op made his claims from the game play data itself which, if true, is much more reliable. I

It is not true.

What isn't true? That the forums represent a small portion of the player base or that the speculative conversation of the OP and his friends talking about user data isn't true?

What he said the data showed. It's not true. Like many said, there's a lot of problems with the accuracy of that. It makes no sense (there's no way babies were played more than toddlers). In fact, I'm starting to thing the whole thing is your usual internet forum "I know people from the inside" one uses to boast their own profile.

As\if the EA Sports team A) has access to that specific data from a separate lableb B) would actually be discussing this during lunch time at all.

See when people questioned the information the OP quicky lost his temper, implyed people were jelous and were just trying to score an invitation to the cool table where he has lunch.

The OP clearly states it's a conversation between friends speculating at various things going on in the Sims. When you have a group of people who work in any industry they hear rumors and know things just because they are in the industry.

You on the other hand are making statements that are not speculative. Do you have some sort of inside information that you can prove that toddlers were played more than babies? A link to EA data?

But it's not the first time we heard from employees 'too many chiefs' or did the OP say chefs? That statement was pretty familiar from an ex employee ( several) who worked on the TS4 who said there were too many producers and not enough programmers. So, it just sounds to me like the employees of EA Sports have a good laugh on the Maxis Dept. when they can.

His quote
    Anywho, apparently the Maxis Studio has gained something of a rep around the coffee bars, because of the difficulty they've had not only with game releases (being that their cursed lol) but well kinda gained the "too many chiefs...." saying.

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.....pretty much the same as too many chefs(cooks) in the kitchen.

Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, it also sounds very familiar to what the ex employees who either were laid off after their work was finished, and or when EA cut the TS4 team down for whatever reason, and or when they were transferred to another dept. ...hm. But still I have to agree with DJ there is no way toddlers were played less than the baby and imho the elder. LOL...I wonder if they look to see how many people actually make their Sims woohoo? Yes, I believe they released something on FB telling how many times Sims had woohooed...it was a big GIF or something I can't remember.

I think the TS4 data is much more specific than TS3 data. TS4 being logged in through Origin and all. And being a game developed in the always on, broadband world.

It's possible that TS4 might be more specific....it might not be. In the options section of TS3 there was a box to check if you would like to share data and no many how many times I unchecked that box it always went back to a default checked setting. In TS4 once I have my game going I disconnect from Origin.

But one of the very popular mods for TS3 severed the tie -- Awesomemod does not allow the game to call home.

Can't you play Sims 4 with your internet access disconnected? I honestly don't care if they get my usage information so I don't bother, but I'm fairly sure you just need Origin running, not necessarily connected to the internet.

• Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    Makes me want to pick up and play the Sims 2 again. I didn't play 3 that much but when I did I always played with toddlers. I'd turn off aging so they wouldn't grow older. The stroller was a lovely touch. Of course the toddlers looked like plum just like every Sim did in 3 but I managed to see passed that.
  • Options
    CrackFox wrote: »
    Makes me want to pick up and play the Sims 2 again. I didn't play 3 that much but when I did I always played with toddlers. I'd turn off aging so they wouldn't grow older. The stroller was a lovely touch. Of course the toddlers looked like plum just like every Sim did in 3 but I managed to see passed that.

Do it! I'm having so much fun playing sims 2 again-it's almost like it's the awesome new game it wanted in sims4!
  • Options
    JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    EA told everyone that all life stages would be in the game, then last minute pulled them. Things Change they say.
    Then after S4 went up for sale in their guru threads we were told they were pulled out last minute and didn't make the base, implying they would be added later. Now they won't even speak to us on the topic after asking us to keep posting on this subject. Things do indeed change EA. I used to buy all your Sim games, EP's, Stuff Packs, and loads of store content. But as you said Things change so that's not going to happen with S4. I bought S4 in good faith and you got my money..but now Things Change!

Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »
    In the options section of TS3 there was a box to check if you would like to share data and no many how many times I unchecked that box it always went back to a default checked setting. In TS4 once I have my game going I disconnect from Origin.

But one of the very popular mods for TS3 severed the tie -- Awesomemod does not allow the game to call home.

Can't you play Sims 4 with your internet access disconnected? I honestly don't care if they get my usage information so I don't bother, but I'm fairly sure you just need Origin running, not necessarily connected to the internet.

That could be why my telemetry box stays unchecked Phoebesmon, and yours doesn't. I've always used Awesome ( it's been a godsend ) but haven't ever tested the unticking problem without it in.
    I always do everything I can to make sure that EA gets absolutely nothing from me. I despise the fact that they want to poke around in my PC, nosying around where they don't belong. It always astonishes me that people don't care. I guess it's indicative of this day and age, and the fact that people don't seem to worry about privacy anymore, with their selfies splashed all over the internet and whatnot.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    LaAbby wrote: »
    This is what I believe as well, because the whole "toddlers are unpopular that's why it was cut" idea seems a bit absurd to me ... if that was true then we can imagine that this would not have been applied to just toddlers ...

It is absurd.

• Options
    This is what I believe as well, because the whole "toddlers are unpopular that's why it was cut" idea seems a bit absurd to me ... if that was true then we can imagine that this would not have been applied to just toddlers ...

It is absurd.

• Options

It is absurd.

• Options
    Pary wrote: »
    In the options section of TS3 there was a box to check if you would like to share data and no many how many times I unchecked that box it always went back to a default checked setting. In TS4 once I have my game going I disconnect from Origin.

That could be why my telemetry box stays unchecked Phoebesmon, and yours doesn't. I've always used Awesome ( it's been a godsend ) but haven't ever tested the unticking problem without it in.
    I always do everything I can to make sure that EA gets absolutely nothing from me. I despise the fact that they want to poke around in my PC, nosying around where they don't belong. It always astonishes me that people don't care. I guess it's indicative of this day and age, and the fact that people don't seem to worry about privacy anymore, with their selfies splashed all over the internet and whatnot.

I think generally people just aren't aware of it.
  • Options
    JaciJade wrote: »
    EA told everyone that all life stages would be in the game, then last minute pulled them. Things Change they say.
    Then after S4 went up for sale in their guru threads we were told they were pulled out last minute and didn't make the base, implying they would be added later. Now they won't even speak to us on the topic after asking us to keep posting on this subject. Things do indeed change EA. I used to buy all your Sim games, EP's, Stuff Packs, and loads of store content. But as you said Things change so that's not going to happen with S4. I bought S4 in good faith and you got my money..but now Things Change!

Good for you! Me too. I really believe they underestimated us and continue to do so.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

It is absurd.

You aren't making a point you're just spamming the thread.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

I never even thought about using a mod! I learn something new all the time! Thanks guys.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

It is absurd.

Frankly I think that is the biggest load of nonsense I've ever read. Someone further back said that Elders were probably the lifestage that was the least played, and I'd probably agree with that, and the fact that was also mentioned, the toddler stage was about 5 days long as default, so of course they weren't getting a lot of play time. It doesn't mean that they were unpopular.
    From what I recall toddler items where one of the most requested things both for content in EPs and SPs and from the TS3 store. They certainly weren't as interesting as Sims 2 toddlers, or as fully fleshed out, but Sims 3 seems to be where EA began their move to pushing hard for Achievement and goal oriented play, and focusing on the single, YA and overly materialistic sim.
    If people were unhappy with them, then it's a cue for EA to improve them, not just strike an entire life stage from a life simulator. But, true to their track record, whatever doesn't work for them, or is too hard, or whatever they just ruin completely gets shoved into the "see ya later" bin, to sit there forgotten.
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    ?
    VertKiller wrote: »
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Yep. EA needs people's money, all right. But the thing is, a lot of people don't need EA anymore. Whereas their life used to revolve around the Sims, it doesn't anymore. Or at least, a lot of people seem to be content to go back to the two previous iterations while giving EA the bird.

They're under the mistaken impression that we old-timers are so addicted to all things Sim, that we'll just keep throwing money at them.

Unfortunately, ea is right. Just look in the good toddlers thread at how many are willing to pay for a toddlers ep. Then look at how many are in a frenzy over that new gp and can't wait to give ea their money even though they have very little info with lots of hype. (Their money, they can do what they want with it. It's none of our business.) That is just this forum. Imagine how much more so on other sites. Look at how many posts that say they will buy anything that's sims. Ea can assume many will buy anything sims because it's true.

I think you are giving to much credit/faith to a small minority of us that do stick to our guns to not buy until the base has been reasonably improved to our individual liking. I believe that the majority of those that are disappointed will break down and buy in the faint hope that it will fix everything or because they gave up. Instead of walking away, they will give ea their money. Look at how many threads and posts that say they need help to find a way to enjoy this game. Need help to find. That's desperation that ea can feed on.

You and I and a few others are a very small minority. Ea knows this and acts upon it accordingly. After 14 years of this going on. What do you expect. Simmers will buy and ea will keep doing what they do.

I do remember that while playing Sims 3, there were many who posted constantly that they wanted more things for the toddlers to do and more clothes. I am not all for toddlers but many, many are and I hope that they do put them back. I guess I would play with them if the improved and had more action to do things with them. I will say that they are cute. even if they are the terrible twos.

• Options
    Evalen wrote: »
    ?
    VertKiller wrote: »
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Yep. EA needs people's money, all right. But the thing is, a lot of people don't need EA anymore. Whereas their life used to revolve around the Sims, it doesn't anymore. Or at least, a lot of people seem to be content to go back to the two previous iterations while giving EA the bird.

They're under the mistaken impression that we old-timers are so addicted to all things Sim, that we'll just keep throwing money at them.

Unfortunately, ea is right. Just look in the good toddlers thread at how many are willing to pay for a toddlers ep. Then look at how many are in a frenzy over that new gp and can't wait to give ea their money even though they have very little info with lots of hype. (Their money, they can do what they want with it. It's none of our business.) That is just this forum. Imagine how much more so on other sites. Look at how many posts that say they will buy anything that's sims. Ea can assume many will buy anything sims because it's true.

I think you are giving to much credit/faith to a small minority of us that do stick to our guns to not buy until the base has been reasonably improved to our individual liking. I believe that the majority of those that are disappointed will break down and buy in the faint hope that it will fix everything or because they gave up. Instead of walking away, they will give ea their money. Look at how many threads and posts that say they need help to find a way to enjoy this game. Need help to find. That's desperation that ea can feed on.

You and I and a few others are a very small minority. Ea knows this and acts upon it accordingly. After 14 years of this going on. What do you expect. Simmers will buy and ea will keep doing what they do.

I do remember that while playing Sims 3, there were many who posted constantly that they wanted more things for the toddlers to do and more clothes. I am not all for toddlers but many, many are and I hope that they do put them back. I guess I would play with them if the improved and had more action to do things with them. I will say that they are cute. even if they are the terrible twos.

Thank you for your support, love seeing nice community simmers supporting us :smile:
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited December 2014
    So I've added a clarification to original post above - in that BY COST Toddlers had the lowest usage stats. Its a single word I left out but WAS alluded to in other parts of my original post as the development of toddlers required its own overhead vs other age groups in relation.

BABIES most likely had the LOWEST stats yes (which I pointed out) - BUT BY COST they had minimal production overhead. Elders were combined with t/y/a and babies are premium objects. Toddlers BY COST hence are a category to themselves as viewed as a stat for development purposes.

Game production is complicated. Its not just looking at one number and saying - hmmm, this has a low stat cut it. No its how you use those STATS in relation to other equations within development and production cycles.

To repeat what I said earlier - this is a conversation, based on rumors within EA with a bunch of friends - thats is. Its NOT gospel from Maxis, which I thought would be fun to share plus give some insight into how game development works in general.

edited for politeness o:)
    Post edited by TOLKIEN on
  • Options
    I don't believe CASt was unpopular. Well, it annoyed me until I learned how to use it, and then HELLO cool hair! HELLO trashy houses!

I actually don't miss toddlers though I hate object-babies and I actually hate them going from baby to child. I'd love a well-fleshed-out toddler stage.

I do miss CASt, and I do miss family trees. I miss step family and in-laws being acknowledged as such. I do not believe these were cut due to unpopularity. /shrug it will be interesting to see the direction Sims 4 ends up going in and whether they can make it work or not.
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member

I believe people are well aware that it's not gospel.
    If you didn't want people to discuss and speculate, why did you even post your original scenario then?

Seriously, take a pill.

Does a multi-vitamin pill count? =D

• Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    So I've added a VERY IMPORTANT part to my OP - in that BY COST Toddlers had the lowest usage stats, as seen below. Its a point I never thought to clarify but WAS alluded to in other parts of my original post as the development of toddlers required its own overhead vs other age groups in relation.

BABIES most likely had the LOWEST stats yes (which I said too) - BUT BY COST they had minimal production overhead. Elders were combined with t/y/a and babies are premium objects. Toddlers BY COST hence are a category to themselves as viewed as a stat for development purposes.

Think big guys, game production is complicated. Its not just looking at one number and saying - hmmm, this has a low stat cut it. No its how you use those STATS in relation to other equations within development cycle.

But you know what this is a conversation, based on rumors within EA with a bunch of friends - thats is. Its NOT gospel from Maxis and for those of you who have never sat down with friends and talked about crap/jokes/rumors from work - then you need to get out more.

Seriously take a pill.

Then it seems quite lazy to me.

Keeping THREE life stages the same height to "finish" the game as quickly as possible, adding few different interactions for each.
    A baby as an OBJECT, cause it does nothing.
    Then between toddler and child .. well we didn't have toddlers in Sims 1, and the jump from toddlers to teens is even weirder than babies to kids, so let's do kids.

I honestly believe Toddlers were cut because of time constraint, if they had worked on Sims 4 since the beginning instead of Project Olympus, then Toddlers would have NOT been cut.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Only if you remember that they are no substitute for a healthy diet and exercise!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member

Only if you remember that they are no substitute for a healthy diet and exercise!

:'(
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Oh yes of course! This is just a conversation... There's no full proof or any facts in it. You're just informing us, because this is what you believed in, that this, collection of usage stats, is what they used to make decisions on the game.