Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Toddlers cut partially because of Simmers themselves & how S4 dlc works...

Comments

• Options
    qrlcodeqrlcode Posts: 532 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    qrlcode wrote: »
    At this point I hope they just patch in toddlers - soon - so we can all move on. The new camping set looks fun and different from what's been in other games, and I'm excited for that! But the forums are filled with people upset about toddlers. Again. There are other complaints of course and the family players have every right to push for their gameplay to be included, but it's going to cast a shadow over EVERYTHING from now on and it's polluting the forums even more than usual.

OP: this story was really interesting and did explain some stuff for me. Thanks for sharing. @TOLKIEN‌

I don't understand your statement you say on one hand this thread ( because toddlers is the subject of this thread) is polluting the forums and you can't post about the new camping GP. However, then say it was interesting and thank the OP for posting why toddlers may have been left out. I don't understand that type of duplistic thinking since this thread would also be cluttering the forums since it is more about the toddler situation.
    I wasn't saying it's just this thread.
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    The forums represent a very small portion of the actual playerbase though, so we can't really go off those numbers. The Op made his claims from the game play data itself which, if true, is much more reliable. I

It is not true.

What isn't true? That the forums represent a small portion of the player base or that the speculative conversation of the OP and his friends talking about user data isn't true?

What he said the data showed. It's not true. Like many said, there's a lot of problems with the accuracy of that. It makes no sense (there's no way babies were played more than toddlers). In fact, I'm starting to thing the whole thing is your usual internet forum "I know people from the inside" one uses to boast their own profile.

As\if the EA Sports team A) has access to that specific data from a separate lableb B) would actually be discussing this during lunch time at all.

See when people questioned the information the OP quicky lost his temper, implyed people were jelous and were just trying to score an invitation to the cool table where he has lunch.

The OP clearly states it's a conversation between friends speculating at various things going on in the Sims. When you have a group of people who work in any industry they hear rumors and know things just because they are in the industry.

You on the other hand are making statements that are not speculative. Do you have some sort of inside information that you can prove that toddlers were played more than babies? A link to EA data?

But it's not the first time we heard from employees 'too many chiefs' or did the OP say chefs? That statement was pretty familiar from an ex employee ( several) who worked on the TS4 who said there were too many producers and not enough programmers. So, it just sounds to me like the employees of EA Sports have a good laugh on the Maxis Dept. when they can.

His quote
    Anywho, apparently the Maxis Studio has gained something of a rep around the coffee bars, because of the difficulty they've had not only with game releases (being that their cursed lol) but well kinda gained the "too many chiefs...." saying.

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.....pretty much the same as too many chefs(cooks) in the kitchen.

Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, it also sounds very familiar to what the ex employees who either were laid off after their work was finished, and or when EA cut the TS4 team down for whatever reason, and or when they were transferred to another dept. ...hm. But still I have to agree with DJ there is no way toddlers were played less than the baby and imho the elder. LOL...I wonder if they look to see how many people actually make their Sims woohoo? Yes, I believe they released something on FB telling how many times Sims had woohooed...it was a big GIF or something I can't remember.

There is no doubt in my mind that EA has all sorts of data on how players are playing. I could never keep that box unchecked in TS3.,,,,,and it bothered me.

This brings up the question then, if they left out toddlers because not that many thousands of players were actually playing them in the TS3 why then would they add more building tools for those who Never build in these games? Their marketing when speaking to us was they wanted those players who had never, ever built anything in these games to be able to do that fast and easily. By their own words none of this makes any sense then. Take away something the telemetry says wasn't used so they can add something more specific that the telemetry says they never used...go figure. LOL

ETA: And along with that sort of thinking instead of what people were asking to be added or expanded this means the telemetry showed players never left their house in the open world...therefore loading screens wouldn't be that big a problem since they hardly ever left the house to venture out into the open surroundings and lots. If they are going by numbers only...but then that seems outrageous since I 'doubt' that one.

I wasn't trying to infer that collected data has or hasn't influenced game content. I was just saying that there is no doubt in my mind that they collected it. What they may or may not have done with it is a different kettle of beans.

I know, I'm just generalizing and rambling. Because if people want to believe they used the telemetry to leave out the toddler then they would also have to believe then (if it were at all a reason) the game didn't come with open world then because of the numbers. Which, yes, would be some far fetched ideas of why this game is the way it is. And I'm more inclined to believe it's due to the budget being spent on that MMO first instead of the game for PC players may have wanted.

This is what I believe as well, because the whole "toddlers are unpopular that's why it was cut" idea seems a bit absurd to me ... if that was true then we can imagine that this would not have been applied to just toddlers ...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    At this point I hope they just patch in toddlers - soon - so we can all move on. The new camping set looks fun and different from what's been in other games, and I'm excited for that! But the forums are filled with people upset about toddlers. Again. There are other complaints of course and the family players have every right to push for their gameplay to be included, but it's going to cast a shadow over EVERYTHING from now on and it's polluting the forums even more than usual.

OP: this story was really interesting and did explain some stuff for me. Thanks for sharing. @TOLKIEN‌

I don't understand your statement you say on one hand this thread ( because toddlers is the subject of this thread) is polluting the forums and you can't post about the new camping GP. However, then say it was interesting and thank the OP for posting why toddlers may have been left out. I don't understand that type of duplistic thinking since this thread would also be cluttering the forums since it is more about the toddler situation.
    I think what she's trying to say, or at least what I got out of is was that not having toddlers is putting a damper on the forums because every other happy topic is riddled with unhappy comments.
    Yup. Thanks! Sorry, I'm on a tablet.

And, @Cinebar‌, duplicity implies deceit.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    @qrlcode I appreciate youve supported our play style being reinstated but I am afraid its EAs fault that so many people are so upset and disillusioned. EA should be dealing efficiently with the problem and then people wouldnt feel like they have to keep trying to shout to at least get acknowledged. Because so far they havent even acknowledged that there is a big problem within the *type of family play* I and others enjoy. It doesnt exist in 4 and we so desperately want to be given access to the new sims sequel.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's possible that TS4 might be more specific....it might not be. In the options section of TS3 there was a box to check if you would like to share data and no many how many times I unchecked that box it always went back to a default checked setting. In TS4 once I have my game going I disconnect from Origin.

Origin gathers data offline and sends it when online. That is why, even playing offline, you have to sign in.

I don't know about your game but just to double check I just started up my game. I clicked on the TS4 icon on my desk top and my game started. I didn't have to sign in.

That may be because you have failed to set the Origin to not be an automatic log in.

I've gone into my computer start up programs and set Origin to open only when I open it and not automatically run in the background when I start the computer. Other than that I haven't done any other Origin settings.

I forgot where the setting is but you can set the game not be automatically logged in. If you do that then yes, you have to log into Origin every time you want to play the TS4. Even if not connected to the internet. I go even further and stop it from running in the task manager once I start the game....because that is a CPU hog.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @qrlcode I appreciate youve supported our play style being reinstated but I am afraid its EAs fault that so many people are so upset and disillusioned. EA should be dealing efficiently with the problem and then people wouldnt feel like they have to keep trying to shout to at least get acknowledged. Because so far they havent even acknowledged that there is a big problem within the *type of family play* I and others enjoy. It doesnt exist in 4 and we so desperately want to be given access to the new sims sequel.

@sparkfairy1‌ You've handled it amazingly and I make a point to read your thread regularly because it is important. I think it's unfortunate that there is this big cloud hanging over the game, dampening the impact of new features for many people. That's what I'm trying to say: they have to, at this point, patch in something to fix it and it seems like toddlers are the best first start.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

I think what she's trying to say, or at least what I got out of is was that not having toddlers is putting a damper on the forums because every other happy topic is riddled with unhappy comments.
    Yup. Thanks! Sorry, I'm on a tablet.

And, @Cinebar‌, duplicity implies deceit.

No, it implies of a double mind, it has more meanings. (having two thoughts at once that are in conflict with each other).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    The forums represent a very small portion of the actual playerbase though, so we can't really go off those numbers. The Op made his claims from the game play data itself which, if true, is much more reliable. I

It is not true.

What isn't true? That the forums represent a small portion of the player base or that the speculative conversation of the OP and his friends talking about user data isn't true?

What he said the data showed. It's not true. Like many said, there's a lot of problems with the accuracy of that. It makes no sense (there's no way babies were played more than toddlers). In fact, I'm starting to thing the whole thing is your usual internet forum "I know people from the inside" one uses to boast their own profile.

As\if the EA Sports team A) has access to that specific data from a separate lableb B) would actually be discussing this during lunch time at all.

See when people questioned the information the OP quicky lost his temper, implyed people were jelous and were just trying to score an invitation to the cool table where he has lunch.

The OP clearly states it's a conversation between friends speculating at various things going on in the Sims. When you have a group of people who work in any industry they hear rumors and know things just because they are in the industry.

You on the other hand are making statements that are not speculative. Do you have some sort of inside information that you can prove that toddlers were played more than babies? A link to EA data?

But it's not the first time we heard from employees 'too many chiefs' or did the OP say chefs? That statement was pretty familiar from an ex employee ( several) who worked on the TS4 who said there were too many producers and not enough programmers. So, it just sounds to me like the employees of EA Sports have a good laugh on the Maxis Dept. when they can.

His quote
    Anywho, apparently the Maxis Studio has gained something of a rep around the coffee bars, because of the difficulty they've had not only with game releases (being that their cursed lol) but well kinda gained the "too many chiefs...." saying.

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.....pretty much the same as too many chefs(cooks) in the kitchen.

Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, it also sounds very familiar to what the ex employees who either were laid off after their work was finished, and or when EA cut the TS4 team down for whatever reason, and or when they were transferred to another dept. ...hm. But still I have to agree with DJ there is no way toddlers were played less than the baby and imho the elder. LOL...I wonder if they look to see how many people actually make their Sims woohoo? Yes, I believe they released something on FB telling how many times Sims had woohooed...it was a big GIF or something I can't remember.

There is no doubt in my mind that EA has all sorts of data on how players are playing. I could never keep that box unchecked in TS3.,,,,,and it bothered me.

This brings up the question then, if they left out toddlers because not that many thousands of players were actually playing them in the TS3 why then would they add more building tools for those who Never build in these games? Their marketing when speaking to us was they wanted those players who had never, ever built anything in these games to be able to do that fast and easily. By their own words none of this makes any sense then. Take away something the telemetry says wasn't used so they can add something more specific that the telemetry says they never used...go figure. LOL

ETA: And along with that sort of thinking instead of what people were asking to be added or expanded this means the telemetry showed players never left their house in the open world...therefore loading screens wouldn't be that big a problem since they hardly ever left the house to venture out into the open surroundings and lots. If they are going by numbers only...but then that seems outrageous since I 'doubt' that one.

I wasn't trying to infer that collected data has or hasn't influenced game content. I was just saying that there is no doubt in my mind that they collected it. What they may or may not have done with it is a different kettle of beans.

I know, I'm just generalizing and rambling. Because if people want to believe they used the telemetry to leave out the toddler then they would also have to believe then (if it were at all a reason) the game didn't come with open world then because of the numbers. Which, yes, would be some far fetched ideas of why this game is the way it is. And I'm more inclined to believe it's due to the budget being spent on that MMO first instead of the game for PC players may have wanted.

I guess I always look at what people say here about what EA was thinking as speculation. Unless you're an employee spilling the beans, privy to internal memos or just a fly on the wall at their offices we don't really know for a fact why they did what they did. We can use our common sense, knowledge of the gaming industry and Internet leaks to speculate on why things were done the way they were but I doubt we'll ever truly know.

In a way it's like a couple. You can look at them from the outside and observe their behavior and speculate on if they get along or not. You can hear tidbits from friends as to their relationship or even hear first hand accounts from the two people involved....but you never really know what goes on behind closed doors unless you're one half of that couple.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

You've handled it amazingly and I make a point to read your thread regularly because it is important. I think it's unfortunate that there is this big cloud hanging over the game, dampening the impact of new features for many people. That's what I'm trying to say: they have to, at this point, patch in something to fix it and it seems like toddlers are the best first start.

Thank you lovely, it helps to have genuinely lovely community simmers like you who support us-its very much appreciated :smile:
    Toddlers and family trees would calm the community down an awful lot. I think part of the issue too is the sort of reception we have had where 'oh well I don't care about toddlers so plum' or 'I feel like you should shh because they will defo come' with no supporting evidence. Thats very hurtful to those of us whose games rely on those integral options. We always had the option for others to age up and skip if they didn't like it-its not very nice to be shut out and then talked down to :-1:
  • Options
    @sparkfairy1‌ Agreed; there's an incredible amount of toxicity.
  • Options

It is not true.

His quote

I guess I always look at what people say here about what EA was thinking as speculation. Unless you're an employee spilling the beans, privy to internal memos or just a fly on the wall at their offices we don't really know for a fact why they did what they did. We can use our common sense, knowledge of the gaming industry and Internet leaks to speculate on why things were done the way they were but I doubt we'll ever truly know.

In a way it's like a couple. You can look at them from the outside and observe their behavior and speculate on if they get along or not. You can hear tidbits from friends as to their relationship or even hear first hand accounts from the two people involved....but you never really know what goes on behind closed doors unless you're one half of that couple.

I agree with this. It's all speculation. However, it's still a fact they have never denied the TS4 was the TS4 Olympus. It would be nice one day if they came out and said no, it is not salvaged from that game. Then people might have to ask them then if that is the case and it's not salvaged from tablet MMO, why is it the way it is, if you knew people wanted to progress and keep open world in the next game and or at least more openness to the districts and much larger, areas to add all the vacant lots it could hold.
  • Options

You've handled it amazingly and I make a point to read your thread regularly because it is important. I think it's unfortunate that there is this big cloud hanging over the game, dampening the impact of new features for many people. That's what I'm trying to say: they have to, at this point, patch in something to fix it and it seems like toddlers are the best first start.

Thank you lovely, it helps to have genuinely lovely community simmers like you who support us-its very much appreciated :smile:
    Toddlers and family trees would calm the community down an awful lot. I think part of the issue too is the sort of reception we have had where 'oh well I don't care about toddlers so plum' or 'I feel like you should shh because they will defo come' with no supporting evidence. Thats very hurtful to those of us whose games rely on those integral options. We always had the option for others to age up and skip if they didn't like it-its not very nice to be shut out and then talked down to :-1:

Will it though? I sort of feel like if it's not toddlers it will be something else. I'm not saying you don't have reason to be upset, but I don't see toddlers being added to the game changing the hostility of the forums. :(

You may not realise it but that comes across as quite a rude question.
    This is what I mean-we can't do anything right-we are told off for standing up for ourselves and then we are subjected to questions such as that. You may not see it but it's a loaded question which questions our motives and integrity.
    I can't answer for everyone but I can tell you this-if I see genuine steps to reintroduce the way I play I'd have a party-and I know I'm not the only one-I've got to know a lot of your wonderful sims community members like me through the thread I run and they are some of the nicest, most genuine people I've ever met-they've never had to complain about a sims game before now and there's a lot of broken hearts over it.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    Selena, I am one of those people. I own everything. I have spent thousands on this game.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    Selena, I am one of those people. I own everything. I have spent thousands on this game.

Spent thousands and invested countless hours into it too! I'm frightened to even consider how much time the sims has taken in the decade and a half (almost!) I've been playing!
  • Options
    sirpadfoot42sirpadfoot42 Posts: 40 Member
    > @simmese said:
    > EA have screwed up big time
    >
    > The fans want toddlers but do not want to pay for something that should have been in the base game
    > I for one will not be paying for them or a family tree ... if EA dont give us them for free then im done with TS4

I have to agree with this. I'm sure as heck not going to PAY for something I got for free in two previous sims games. Not something like that, anyway. Now, *maybe*, if toddlers came with a huge expansion pack (or game pack, or whatever they want to call it) that included a LOT of new toys/objects/gameplay/etc. I would consider it, certainly. Probably even cave in and buy it, but the thing is, look at everything they were able to give us for free so far. Three months worth of updates, two new careers that include new stuff/rewards/etc. I realise that business is business and it takes a lot to create toddlers, I'm not an idiot, but I just don't see why I should have to pay 20 or 30 dollars to get *just* toddlers. Like I said, if A LOT of things come with them, then it would probably be worth it, but at this point just looking at the outdoors game pack, if it's going to be something like that? Heck no, I won't go!
    Valar Morghulis.
    gif345_zpshthqe2cw.gif

• Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited December 2014
    Sorry, I'm late to the this thread but ehh. I wanted to add in my thoughts.

So if what you're saying is true OP, it all comes down to...metrics. That wouldn't surprise me, developers have been leaning more and more on metrics in the past few years. I remember the EC crew talking about being at GDC a couple years ago and it was a hot topic there.

When taken with actual player feedback, metrics aren't a bad thing to use but using them on their own...not so good.

EDIT: Though...how would anyone at EA Sports really know what's going on at Maxis? EA Sports is based in Canada, Maxis in California. How much would they interact with each other?
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    Gramz777Gramz777 Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2014

Will it though? I sort of feel like if it's not toddlers it will be something else. I'm not saying you don't have reason to be upset, but I don't see toddlers being added to the game changing the hostility of the forums. :(

The hostility still is present because those who really like the TS4 still tell people to go back to other games, or to stop posting their questions and or they have never told the entire community they are sorry for talking down to those who have a legitimate reason to voice what they want in this game.

It comes from not being acknowledged by EA...those long dry spells where EA doesn't say anything to players but has become the joke around the water coolers. These are paying customers who have spent a lot on this series in fourteen years. Not only did they buy the original bases and EPs but went even further and bought the comp packs, Like the mixture of the bases and EPs and or SPs. For all these games. They have spent hundreds if not a thousand on this series. I think they are entitled to say whatever it is they wish to tell this company. They are the reason there is even a TS4 because of they money they spent on Maxis games all these years. Not only in The Sims, but all other Maxis games. They have paid helped pay these people's paychecks for years. I think they can be given a little slack, don't you?

"It comes from not being acknowledged by EA...those long dry spells where EA doesn't say anything to players but has become the joke around the water coolers."

and maybe that should be a clue....has it not crossed your mind that maybe EA is trying to give you guys a polite hint?? I don't see them jumping through hoops and many of you are acknowledging that as well, so i think they will be alright if you take your money elsewhere where you will be happy. I think they knew that some would not be happy and anticipated some players leaving..but it's been months since the release and i think it's clear they are not going to make any changes, or least enough changes to make some of you happy unfortunately. Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Gramz777 wrote: »

The hostility still is present because those who really like the TS4 still tell people to go back to other games, or to stop posting their questions and or they have never told the entire community they are sorry for talking down to those who have a legitimate reason to voice what they want in this game.

It comes from not being acknowledged by EA...those long dry spells where EA doesn't say anything to players but has become the joke around the water coolers. These are paying customers who have spent a lot on this series in fourteen years. Not only did they buy the original bases and EPs but went even further and bought the comp packs, Like the mixture of the bases and EPs and or SPs. For all these games. They have spent hundreds if not a thousand on this series. I think they are entitled to say whatever it is they wish to tell this company. They are the reason there is even a TS4 because of they money they spent on Maxis games all these years. Not only in The Sims, but all other Maxis games. They have paid helped pay these people's paychecks for years. I think they can be given a little slack, don't you?

"It comes from not being acknowledged by EA...those long dry spells where EA doesn't say anything to players but has become the joke around the water coolers."

and maybe that should be a clue....has it not crossed your mind that maybe EA is trying to give you guys a polite hint?? I don't see them jumping through hoops and many of you are acknowledging that as well, so i think they will be alright if you take your money elsewhere where you will be happy. I think they knew that some would not be happy and anticipated some players leaving..but it's been months since the release and i think it's clear they are not going to make any changes, or least enough changes to make some of you happy unfortunately. Just a thought.

Or not quite such a polite hint depending on your view.

Can I just add here that the Gurus encouraged us to keep that thread alive? I don't believe they want us to disappear with all of our lovely money yet.
  • Options

Lol, you think? that's an idea especially considering the things their COO has said (Peter what's his name) said about how long time players of games are the hardest to convince they need to move on and get with the new generation of playing online and or mobile etc. I hope for your sake the long times players who have supported this franchise for fifteen years or longer (some since the first SC back in the late '80's) I myself played Sim City 2000 back in the day...lol, don't leave because I doubt there will be enough left to buy those game packs and or to keep the game going long enough to last five more years. :#
  • Options

Can I just add here that the Gurus encouraged us to keep that thread alive? I don't believe they want us to disappear with all of our lovely money yet.

Sparkfairy, i just think they were trying to keep you guys engaged and contained in one thread in hopes to stop the derailment in the other threads...and i am sure they were trying to see if they could appease on some things...but unfortunately the actions they have taken is not the things you guys are wanting. i am sorry for your disappointment i really am but this forum is just a small speck of their player base and apparently the dislikes are not reflective enough for it to be a game changer for them.
  • Options
    KittenkissKittenkiss Posts: 1,047 Member

That sort of arrogance would only really be applicable if The Sims 4 was a roaring success, and there wasn't such a huge very public humiliation regarding the game in general.

Whilst they're laughing at their fans, the rest of the gaming world is laughing at them. *shrug* The thing is, these 'jokes around the water cooler' are speculations, but the way the gaming community regards The Sims is very much real.
  • Options

Sparkfairy, i just think they were trying to keep you guys engaged and contained in one thread in hopes to stop the derailment in the other threads...and i am sure they were trying to see if they could appease on some things...but unfortunately the actions they have taken is not the things you guys are wanting. i am sorry for your disappointment i really am but this forum is just a small speck of their player base and apparently the dislikes are not reflective enough for it to be a game changer for them.

Have you visited other sites besides the SimsVip? It's not just here my friend. Yes, there are new TS4 only sites that sprang up right before this game was released. But you really should take a look at long time fansites that have been around since the TS1 and continued to give space and support to all new games in the series. They aren't just a small fraction of the fan base. You guys really need to get out more.
  • Options

Lol, you think? that's an idea especially considering the things their COO has said (Peter what's his name) said about how long time players of games are the hardest to convince they need to move on and get with the new generation of playing online and or mobile etc. I hope for your sake the long times players who have supported this franchise for fifteen years or longer (some since the first SC back in the late '80's) I myself played Sim City 2000 back in the day...lol, don't leave because I doubt there will be enough left to buy those game packs and or to keep the game going long enough to last five more years. :#

See this is why EA laughs and makes fun of negative posters...you really believe you hold the keys and will make or break their pocket book. shakes head
  • Options
    Claret1011Claret1011 Posts: 297 Member
    ASDF0716 wrote: »
    I love that the customer base is filled with "toddlers" simply because (and dear GOD it's taken long enough) people are really getting sick of EA destroying IPs / production companies that are beloved over and over and over and over and over and over again for the sake of profit and are finally starting to say "enough".

First they started creating DLC, and I did not speak out- because it was more content

Then, they started creating Day One DLC, and I did not speak out- because it was more content

Then, they started creating microtransactions and RNG packs for multiplayer, and I did not speak out- because I wanted to win

Then, they started publishing unfinished base games because they knew they could add wanted features back later for more money- and there was no one left to speak out... because we all got sick of their 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and started buying Bathesda / Firaxis games that embraced the modder community and launched tools to allow us to develop our own content because they knew that it would keep people playing their game and that those people would STILL buy their new content for $20.00 because the game was fun.

So I know you're trying to be funny or clever or whatever, but you know what the original poem is about, right? Just seems pretty callous to me to paraphrase it for something like this. I'm not sure #firstworldproblems even begins to cover that.