Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you get both branches of a career?

Or is it even possible?

Comments

• CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    You don't. You choose one or the other.
  • AshkevronAshkevron Posts: 579 Member
    but can you go back after you have completed one branch, and pick the second one? Like can you quit your job after maxxing it out and then join it again to get the second branch?
  • pezhead7pezhead7 Posts: 838 Member
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that if you quit and start over, you're locked into the original choice
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    > @Ashkevron said:
    > but can you go back after you have completed one branch, and pick the second one? Like can you quit your job after maxxing it out and then join it again to get the second branch?

Nope, you can't do that.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • moritanamoritana Posts: 24 Member
    I'm pretty sure it should be possible to quit and start over... I think I did it... though reading this post makes me doubt my memory... how about someone tries? ;)
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Maybe eventually they will do a thing.
    It wasn't possible to change in TS3 (I think). They should do transfer options rather than just quit and join.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • thesimsfairy47thesimsfairy47 Posts: 6,116 Member
    Maybe in the future there will be a option to switch between branches.
    Sims 5 artstyle poll Here
    monday-to-friday-workweek-graphic.jpg
    Thanks all. I hope they make some adjustment in the future, there are some careers where being able to pursue both branches would make sense...the painter career for starters.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Ashkevron wrote: »
    Thanks all. I hope they make some adjustment in the future, there are some careers where being able to pursue both branches would make sense...the painter career for starters.

Tech as well. Though I'd probably do both branches of culinary just to be able to complete both aspirations.

• JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    That won't change as it's the core rule of the game.
    You're not supposed to play solo sim in Sims 4.
    Well... The first game at least.

According to some old posts, you can use one sim to max certain branches, export that sim, start a new game, import sim and then you can do other branches with that sim.
    Thus, you can actually create a dummy unlock all carreer rewards sim. That sim would be in your library, added to a household when you want career rewards unlocked, then killed/removed/kicked.

Which brings me to the point of patches we get. Instead of fixing actual bugs, the latest update brought unlock career rewards cheat. I ask you, after typing this all, who needs that BS? What's the purpose of a cheat if a player, just by playing the game, can unlock everything?
    I mean... Does staff who work on patches even know anything about the game they made?
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    That won't change as it's the core rule of the game.
    You're not supposed to play solo sim in Sims 4.
    Well... The first game at least.

According to some old posts, you can use one sim to max certain branches, export that sim, start a new game, import sim and then you can do other branches with that sim.
    Thus, you can actually create a dummy unlock all carreer rewards sim. That sim would be in your library, added to a household when you want career rewards unlocked, then killed/removed/kicked.

Which brings me to the point of patches we get. Instead of fixing actual bugs, the latest update brought unlock career rewards cheat. I ask you, after typing this all, who needs that BS? What's the purpose of a cheat if a player, just by playing the game, can unlock everything?
    I mean... Does staff who work on patches even know anything about the game they made?

Actually, I think the cheat for unlocking everything is good -- previously I used a mod. When you have the choice of six beds, having an additional choice is a good thing. And you can't unlock everything by just playing it -- your household is limited to 8 sims. Once you quit your job, everything becomes locked again.

• PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I really wish we could. I have always loved to play the Sims doing as much as I can with one character. In TS3 you could go all the way up one branch of a career, then quit and go again. It would usually start you out on the level before you split, and you could choose the other branch.

I don't like that they say 'you aren't supposed to solo', why are they telling me how to play the game I bought?

I also never use mods or cheats. I want to play my game, I shouldn't have to cheat because they do not allow me to play how I want.

At this point I play TS3 far more often than TS4. (But I also still really love Sims Medieval.)
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Actually I read somewhere in the game - perhaps in the Sims 4 academy tutorial that you can change the direction of the branch you choose right there on the screen on the sims profile I think it was. You can also change to any other job or career path you want. I have not tried it - but i recall reading that when the game first came out.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• BebopColaBebopCola Posts: 27 New Member
    > @ejoslin said:
    > Actually, I think the cheat for unlocking everything is good -- previously I used a mod. When you have the choice of six beds, having an additional choice is a good thing. And you can't unlock everything by just playing it -- your household is limited to 8 sims. Once you quit your job, everything becomes locked again.

I'm not sure that last line is correct. I've had a Sim unlock a couple different rooms by completing a career path, then quit, and I still have access to those rooms and individual items.
    BebopCola wrote: »
    > @ejoslin said: <br />
    > Actually, I think the cheat for unlocking everything is good -- previously I used a mod. When you have the choice of six beds, having an additional choice is a good thing. And you can't unlock everything by just playing it -- your household is limited to 8 sims. Once you quit your job, everything becomes locked again.<br />
    <br />
    I'm not sure that last line is correct. I've had a Sim unlock a couple different rooms by completing a career path, then quit, and I still have access to those rooms and individual items.

Are you sure? I'll double check it as that's the reason I started using the cheat to begin with. But perhaps I'm mis-remembering. That is always possible.

• katandmarikatandmari Posts: 438 Member
    My sim quit her chef career and still has the items unlocked. I just double checked
  • ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    pezhead7 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that if you quit and start over, you're locked into the original choice

exactly!
    katandmari wrote: »
    My sim quit her chef career and still has the items unlocked. I just double checked

Oh excellent, I'm glad I'm wrong about that :smile: Still, I think the cheat is a good thing. There aren't enough items as is.

No cheat is good.
    And a game that needs cheats ain't good either. A game is supposed to be fun without cheatin'.
    Is Joxer a simguru or dev or something....or just someone who believes he speaks for them and his opinion is always right and the only one that counts therefore we should bow down to him? Just wondering.
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    Sims is suppose to be fun playing the way you want also, not being led by the hand to do this or that. And if cheating is the way a simmer wants to play, then it is fun to them. I have used motherlode cheat to tell a story of my sim in sims 3.... just one of the few reasons someone could play the way they wanted and it was 'Fun' for them.

Sims 4 is sorta a fake Sims game...XD
  • acee313acee313 Posts: 1,080 Member
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    No cheat is good.
    And a game that needs cheats ain't good either. A game is supposed to be fun without cheatin'.

I believe the cheat was for those who just want to play the game, without the hassle of achieving them. The Sims team has always been trying to appease their divided fanbase, hence they gave the option for those who do not want to work it up. Those people who might use the cheat are mostly builders and storytellers.
    I wondered why the other part of the fanbase abandoned Sims 4 and went into other games.
    Thanks for the input.
  • LawrencelouwLawrencelouw Posts: 4 New Member
    You can use the MC Command Center to change career branches. I can't post links yet so just Google it :)
  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Sul Sul~

I appreciate the insight, and I'm sure others do too! That said, as this thread's just about 4 years old, it's quite old. Considering this, I'm closing it. Feel free to offer your help elsewhere but try to check how recent the thread is. :smile:
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top