Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to roll back your save

Comments

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I haven't touched the scratch folder, actually. I already found all my saves in the saves folder.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • WithoutBrain1234WithoutBrain1234 Posts: 126 Member
    > @icmnfrsh said:
    > Hello, everyone. I realized that some people aren't aware of TS4's auto-backup feature. Personally, I think it's a lifesaver, and everyone should know how to roll back in case they accidentally save over something, realize that they want to undo a previous mistake, or end up with a corrupted save file.
    >
    > First, you need to go to your saves folder. It's in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/saves
    >
    >
    > Before anything else, you should make a copy of your saves in case you make a mistake. Copy and paste the folder into your desktop or some other safe place. Just right click on the folder and choose copy.
    >
    >
    > Then go to your desktop, right click on any empty spot, and choose paste.
    >
    >
    > Now go into the saves folder in My Documents.
    >
    >
    > You'll see that unlike in The Sims 3, the filenames don't match the name you gave your save in-game. Each save file has up to 5 back ups from the previous times you've saved, with .ver0 being the most recent, and .ver4 being the oldest.
    >
    > In order to find out which file corresponds to the save that you want to roll back, you'll have to launch the game and click on Load Game.
    >
    >
    > Let's say I want to roll back the Parsons save. It was last modified on 9/4/14 at 2:15 AM. You'll have to look for the .save file (without any .ver extensions) that has the matching Date Modified field.
    >
    > In this case, Slot_00000004.save matches. We'll want to rename it to something else. It can be anything different. For example, I can add a .x to the end of the file by right clicking on it, choosing Rename, and typing .x.
    >
    >
    > Btw, you can do this while the game is running, AS LONG AS IT'S NOT CURRENTLY SAVING OR LOADING.
    >
    > From here, you can choose to roll back to one of the backups. Let's try .ver0, which is the most recent one. Right click, Rename, and delete the .ver0 extension.
    >
    >
    > Go back to the game. Click on Load Game. If the Load Game window is already open, it won't immediately reflect the changes, so close it first and open it again.
    >
    >
    > Apparently, in my case, I renamed my save file to Parsons, which is somewhat more descriptive than My Saved Game 4.
    >
    > From there, you can load the save file and see if it's the version that you want. If it's not, just re-enter the .ver0 extension and repeat the above steps for .ver1, .ver2, and so on. If it's none of those files, then I'm sorry, but you can't go further than 5 saves ago. :(
    >
    > If you decide to change your mind on rolling back, just rename the original file (in this case, the one I added .x to) to its original name (in this case, Slot_00000004.save).
    >
    > Hope this helps. If you have any questions, just ask, and I'll try to answer when I'm online. :)

Hi, so I had this issue yesterday. I lauched my game and it acted like it was the first time I was opening it, but it still says the amount of hours I've played. Of course when I launch the game I click on that button that has my saved games but this time, IT WASN'T THERE. Wich means I lost everything.. so much work. Is there anything I can do to get it back?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Hi, so I had this issue yesterday. I lauched my game and it acted like it was the first time I was opening it, but it still says the amount of hours I've played. Of course when I launch the game I click on that button that has my saved games but this time, IT WASN'T THERE. Wich means I lost everything.. so much work. Is there anything I can do to get it back?

Look in the Saves folder to see what's there. Is it completely empty, or are there some files? What are the names of those files?

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    > @luthienrising said:
    > WithoutBrain1234 wrote: »
    >
    > Hi, so I had this issue yesterday. I lauched my game and it acted like it was the first time I was opening it, but it still says the amount of hours I've played. Of course when I launch the game I click on that button that has my saved games but this time, IT WASN'T THERE. Wich means I lost everything.. so much work. Is there anything I can do to get it back?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Look in the Saves folder to see what's there. Is it completely empty, or are there some files? What are the names of those files?

There are some files: one paste called scratch, another empty one SerialGUID, and then just some regular files, one called Slot_00000001.save, and other one called Slot_00000001.save.ver0
    edited November 2014
    Hm. That might just be the autosave from when you opened the game to find nothing there. But in case it's not, try renaming those two files Slot_00000002.save and Slot_00000003.save, then use the little file icon in the upper right of the first game screen to open them and see what you've got.

(And I'll try to remember to post in the next SimGuru Q&A about why someone's game would seem to reset itself like this. Pretty sure we've seen it happen with some people on update.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    > @luthienrising said:
    > Hm. That might just be the autosave from when you opened the game to find nothing there. But in case it's not, try renaming those two files Slot_00000002.save and Slot_00000003.save, then use the little file icon in the upper right of the first game screen to open them and see what you've got.
    >
    > (And I'll try to remember to post in the next SimGuru Q&A about why someone's game would seem to reset itself like this. Pretty sure we've seen it happen with some people on update.)

I'm sorry I'm not an expert on this, but rename them with what name? and in the game it doesen't show up the file icon
    edited November 2014
    > @luthienrising said:<br />
    > Hm. That might just be the autosave from when you opened the game to find nothing there. But in case it's not, try renaming those two files Slot_00000002.save and Slot_00000003.save, then use the little file icon in the upper right of the first game screen to open them and see what you've got.<br />
    > <br />
    > (And I'll try to remember to post in the next SimGuru Q&A about why someone's game would seem to reset itself like this. Pretty sure we've seen it happen with some people on update.)<br />
    <br />
    I'm sorry I'm not an expert on this, but rename them with what name? and in the game it doesen't show up the file icon

Name one of them Slot_00000002.save, and name the other Slot_00000003.save. (Exit the game first if you're in it.) Then start the game. There should be a little file icon in the upper right, before you hit play, up where the "..." menu and stuff are. If that's not there, then the save files must be corrupted :(
    > @luthienrising said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Name one of them Slot_00000002.save, and name the other Slot_00000003.save. (Exit the game first if you're in it.) Then start the game. There should be a little file icon in the upper right, before you hit play, up where the "..." menu and stuff are. If that's not there, then the save files must be corrupted :(

Thanks, I'll try :)
    > @luthienrising said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Name one of them Slot_00000002.save, and name the other Slot_00000003.save. (Exit the game first if you're in it.) Then start the game. There should be a little file icon in the upper right, before you hit play, up where the "..." menu and stuff are. If that's not there, then the save files must be corrupted :(

Ok so the files were corrupted.. thanks for trying to help me c: Now, do I rename the saves again to what they were? Just in case I did something wrong, I copied them to my desktop, so do I delete the ones I renamed and put the old ones there? Or do I just delete everything?
    I'd be inclined to just delete the corrupt ones. I haven't heard of any way to recover them beyond rolling back. :(

> @luthienrising said:
    > I'd be inclined to just delete the corrupt ones. I haven't heard of any way to recover them beyond rolling back. :(

Ok thank you so much, I'lk keep the ones I renamed, bye :smile:
  • ammberrr32ammberrr32 Posts: 8 New Member
    how do you put all your mods back into you game after your game has been wiped??
    ammberrr32 wrote: »
    how do you put all your mods back into you game after your game has been wiped??

Start the game to recreate the Sims 4 folder in My Documents > Electronic Arts. Then install the mods exactly as you originally did.
  • ambrownambrown Posts: 804 Member
    i'm sorry i'm having a hard time understanding this, so when i change the file name in my documents and then click load game it will appear there?
    you're ele-phantastic
    ambrown wrote: »
    i'm sorry i'm having a hard time understanding this, so when i change the file name in my documents and then click load game it will appear there?

Exactly :) The game sees the files that end in .save; it doesn't see the ones that end in .varX, except when it needs to rename them. Just don't accidentally overwrite another .save when you rename a file! You can change the number part too, in the first part of the filename, so it doesn't repeat another one.

I'm really hoping that someday we'll get easier to understand filenames, though.
  • RivieRivie Posts: 782 Member
    This just saved my game I accidentally overwrote. Thank you so much
    Rivie aka Lux Conant
    kingsonfam.png
    Kingson Family thread - Updates, Behind the scenes, Sneak peeks and more...
    The Abandoned Lot - Kingson family How the story begins...
  • TiffanyRoseTiffanyRose Posts: 121 Member
    Thank you so much for this. You're a lifesaver!
    Gallery: Hellkittenn
    Simmer since 2001.
  • magicme4492magicme4492 Posts: 25 New Member
    I don't know what I did, but I'm really upset because I lost over 200 hours of gameplay. The loading icon is gone from the main menu...I think I'll try what morgygurl did and create a new sim and all. I hope it works. I'm really upset. :,,,,,(
  • magicme4492magicme4492 Posts: 25 New Member
    It's not working for me, I'm not sure why. Are you supposed to rename the .ver0 before you delete it? I'm sorry, I'm kind of confused.
    Just remove the .ver0 part so that it replaces the current saved game. You can back up your current save just to be safe.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    This is a game saver for me! Thanks so much! Glad I have it bookmarked. :#
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • xXSimsXFreakXxxXSimsXFreakXx Posts: 19 New Member
    I tried this and it still didn't work I even made an entire new game and it won't even let me play my new family...idk what I'm doing wrong :/
  • NSoulfulNSoulful Posts: 5 New Member
    I'm lost. Is there a missing step? What do i do once I choose the save I want to load? I tried double clicking and the app store option popped up.
  • NSoulfulNSoulful Posts: 5 New Member
    > @icmnfrsh said:
    > Just remove the .ver0 part so that it replaces the current saved game. You can back up your current save just to be safe.
    WHen I rename to remove the .ver0 part it says if I change it it may be unusable. Do I click okay?
    NSoulful wrote: »
    > @icmnfrsh said:<br />
    > Just remove the .ver0 part so that it replaces the current saved game. You can back up your current save just to be safe.<br />
    WHen I rename to remove the .ver0 part it says if I change it it may be unusable. Do I click okay?

Yeah, don't mind that.

@xXSimsXFreakXx Do you have any other details? :)