Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is EA "renting" out its Sims music tracks to TV networks?

LonnehartLonnehart Posts: 688 Member
I was watching some show about magic on The History Channel and I noticed something... the show's background music tracks are from The Sims 2 and 3! Either EA is making money on the side by having TV networks pay for using its tracks, or the show is stealing it from EA. Or maybe there's something else going on that I haven't seen... hmm...
Yeah. Made a Minecraft Windows 10 Edition video channel. I guess I'm insane...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXGZZkbGB3y8S-F6gePiFhA

Comments

• KittenkissKittenkiss Posts: 1,047 Member
    Yer, I heard Sims 3 music on a homes and garden show here in Australia. Everyone who played, who had Facebook, posted about it. lol...
  • SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    Haha I have heard it before on dutch tv.in also garden and home programs. I found.it veru finny and when I heard it i was like: THE SIMS! Oh..
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Did ya'll ever think it's the other way around - E is paying royalties to use the music in the game -
  • COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    Stuff like this isn't new. I once saw a Walking Dead video that played one of The Sims 2 University build songs.
  • happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    I've heard Sims 3 music on a few shows. Dance Moms, some homebuilding show....stuff like that.
    InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    No one is stealing the songs. It's all payed for and used in many different things. Desperate Housewives is one
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I heard The Sims music in an elevator once! The classical sims music is used as Muzak at my doctors office also.
  • JonalinJonalin Posts: 1,708 Member
    Steve Jablonsky writes for video games as well as movies and television. His tunes are just some that you hear every now and then.

Holidays_zpsdff36f24.png
  • SophieDiddleSophieDiddle Posts: 578 Member
    I've heard sims 3 music on the apprentice, UK. That was quite a surprise xD
  • MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
    I've heard sims 3 music on the apprentice, UK. That was quite a surprise xD

Me too! I was like OMG - that's the Sims music! I wonder if Lord Sugar actually plays Sims...? Lol ;)

tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    It's the only way for EA to make money with their terrible games :P
  • Rubycube86Rubycube86 Posts: 294 Member
    CSI: New York used some music from Sims 2 as well. Danny Messer was doing something techy in the lab I think.
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    Yeah on a show about 2 months ago i heard TS3 build music and I was like ami going crazy lol
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2014
    The Apprentice UK has used music from both TS2 and TS3 for many years now. When I used to share a house the lady who lived there with me (she also owned it) used to think it odd when I would get so excited at the sound of the background music. I had to keep explaining to her why and she still found it odd. :D
    tFU6JMe.png
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    happens all the time.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • SophieDiddleSophieDiddle Posts: 578 Member
    @MegandtheMoon I like to think so ;) but if I was him I'd be too busy swimming in a pool of money.
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I've heard it before as well, just can't remember exactly where. :\
  • ShearsyShearsy Posts: 727 Member
    Omg has anyone got any videos with The Sims music? I've not heard it yet :(
  • KevWalkerKevWalker Posts: 810 Member
    Moodbeamy wrote: »
    The Apprentice UK has used music from both TS2 and TS3 for many years now. When I used to share a house the lady who lived there with me (she also owned it) used to think it odd when I would get so excited at the sound of the background music. I had to keep explaining to her why and she still found it odd. :D

I reckon that's because The Apprentice is The Sims in real life - take a bunch of disparate, incompatible weirdos with extreme traits, throw them together in one house, and watch the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 hit the fan!
  • PlyrKttyKtKrnchPlyrKttyKtKrnch Posts: 61 Member
    YES I've heard Sims 3 songs many times one I can remember was an ad for the aquarium
  • JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    I thought EA is a company made out of businessmen and lawyers? Why are they letting other companies use their music?
  • KevWalkerKevWalker Posts: 810 Member
    @Jimil : it must be all licensed one way or another, you can bet EA wouldn't be slow to sue and also the BBC are very careful about that kind of thing - pity they're not so rigorous in their staff recruitment (mentioning no 70s DJs et al).
  • Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    Actually its not owned by EA its owned by the composer . Iv'e heard all kinds of game music in shows and commercials . Heck there's a cereal commercial that has people playing Mario Bros in it
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Jimil wrote: »
    I thought EA is a company made out of businessmen and lawyers? Why are they letting other companies use their music?

I'm sure that EA is well compensated for the rights to use the music.

I play some casual games on pogo.com (another EA company), and they use Sims 3 music in one of their hidden object games. They also have some non-Sims music that I would love to get for my music collection; some of the pieces are quite lovely.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • crazypiecrazypie Posts: 5 New Member
    In sanjay and craig i heard sims 3 i was like HOW!?