Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 gardens, farms, (and recipes) - share info on seeds, tips, and tutorials

PenndraPenndra Posts: 695 Member
Sims3 gathering seeds, fruit, vegetables, bean, berries, nut, for nectar, garden, farm, orchard etc.
or
Discussion and Compilation of Sims 3 seeds and gardening supplies
or
Gardening : where to find things to plant and harvest and cook

Hi.
Since I know I'm not the only gardener... I'll share my research :) and you can share your knowledge too.
My main inquiry is ... where do we find more seeds and stuff to plant and cook with?
What other items, sets, venues, worlds do we need to have to get all the seeds, plantables, and recipes possible in the game?

* Updated December 18th 2014
Standard forum rules apply... be kind and courteous and helpful, blah blah blah, you know the drill.

* December 3rd 2014
I just got the other expansion over ThanksGiving weekend. I am excited to go exploring for new seeds and harvestable plants, and plantable items in the venue stores. I've bookmarked gatherer maps and Sims 3 gardening help sites. If you have awesome tips and tricks and knows stuff about gardening and farming, please feel welcome to share your knowledge and know-how in the comments.

Happy Simming!
TS3 Store advice: DD Stalkers * DD Cascades * Complete a Set
wishes & Thank-you!! Huggles!
YouTube tutorial: How-to make UFO's in TS3 *
Machinima in the making: March of Bears -a psychological thriller *
Research Blog: Garden/Recipe
Post edited by Penndra on

Comments

• PenndraPenndra Posts: 695 Member
    edited December 2014
    ==

This will be updated with each discovery :)

-- Base Game
    List of plantables, thanks to Sirguylittle
    Apple, Bell Pepper, Burger Patty, Cheese, Death Flower, Egg, Flame Fruit, Garlic, Grape, Lettuce, Life Fruit, Lime, Money Tree, Omni Plant, Onion, Potato, Steak, Tomato and Watermelon

-- specifically to Worlds and Towns

= ADVENTURES =
    Adventures is fun for collecting seeds.

* In France = there are a large variety of grapes. On the left side of the map is a house with a cascading garden around it. You will find several varieties of grapes here. Also in the vineyard near the Nectary. You can purchase additional grapes with gold coins collected from quests and found in tombs. Every fruit and vegetable you find can be turned into Nectar at a Nectar making machine, appearing as a bottle with the option of 'serve drinks'.

* Al Sim Hara =The flame fruit found in one of the pyramids gives your sim the "Cozy" buff when there is one or more in your Sim's inventory.

* China = There is a little fishing pond and garden area along the road to the Terracotta Warrior dig site. Here you will find plum and pomello as well as some ordinary base game plants like lettuce and tomato.
    edited December 2014
    -- Venues

==

-- Items

* Teppanyaki Grill (is in a compilation and the oriental dining set (I'll get the actual names soon))
    Aside from learning how to juggle eggs, this Object comes with an assortment of recipes

* (let me double check the name) I was just playing around with a venue oven that is attached to a menu object the sims can order food from and a waiter will come out and take the order and make it in the oven. To the menu you can add any item your sim family has learned.

==

* Bacon Icecream can be made using the deep fryer and ice cream maker from Fiesta!
    edited December 2014
    == Hints and Tips ==

* Seeds spawn and vanish on a rotation. Once you find a seed spawn location, just check back on it now and then. Common seeds will respawn much faster than special seeds and they will vanish after a time if you don't pick them up. But don't worry, the spawn point will spawn another seed of the same category later.

* I like to build my home lot next to a special seed spawn point. Then I can easily check on it daily for a new seed.

* Watch closely around your Money Trees. Sometimes they will drop a Money Tree seed. Pick it up as soon as you see it, or it will vanish after a day.

* In the base game (Riverview and that other town) I find that the central park has low quality seeds. I often find seeds worse than 'nice'.

* Look for special seeds around the Science building.

* Small campgrounds and out-of-the-parks often have a rare or special seed not far from it.

* You can make a perfect crop garden available to the town (or yourself) and not have to tend it. This method will require you to evict your household, so store your valuables in the family inventory before evicting or your stuff will be left behind. First, tend your garden until you produce a perfect harvest from each plant type. Store those in a treasure box for later (I use the treasure boxes from Adventure). When you are ready to create a community garden lot, store any items you want to keep with your family, redesign and landscape the lot, plant your perfect seeds, and evict your Sim household. The seeds will grow into perfect plants producing perfect harvestables without needing to be tended. Move your Sims in to a neighboring lot to have ready access to perfect ingredients :) Enjoy!
    edited December 2014
    == Tutorials ==
    edited March 2015
    == Online maps and tutorials to find seeds (and so that you don't build over the good spawn points) ==

Where to find seeds
    [url]http://www.thonky.com/the-sims-3/gardening/[/url]

Gardening Tutorials
    [url]http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/skills/gardening/find-seeds.php[/url]
    edited December 2014
    == Photos ==

* provided by Karritz - photos and information, including building with the Bakery and Old Mill objects.
    This thread has a lot of information in it about bakeries, recipes and genies summoning food.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/747068/bakery-old-mill-builds-please-post-your-pics-and-links/p1

* a garden showcase
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/763609/my-garden-series/p1
    edited December 2014
    Miffed!

Little confused... I used to run around the painted-on farmlands and pick up all kinds of seeds. Now, I don't see any there. What happened?

forum reference- inserting code
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    edited December 2014
    Venue to get more seeds is Stones Throw Greenhouse
    I put it in every game. Beware the spawners in it as if you rotate it on the lot they multiply and you can end up with so many that your computer can freeze. These spawners can be found stacked under the Swift Grow Gardening Stations. They also spawn wildflowers and small animals if you have the other appropriate Expansions. I think you need Seasons for wildflowers and Pets for the small animals.

I usually add the Humble Harvest stands to my greenhouse when I place it in a game. I also add the lemonade stand. You also get purple eggplant seeds and lemon tree seeds with the AL Fresco Street Market venue.

you get a lot of herbs and coffee beans with University Life Expansion.

nuts and berries come with the Bohemian Garden set.

Orange trees came with Grandpa's Grove. You get a tractor to help garden with in grandpa's grove too. Just be careful not to let your inventories get too full when harvesting with the tractor or green dragon. This can lead to tractor or dragon resetting and massive unplayable lag that can be fixed by moving inventory contents to fridge or selling it.

green dragon comes with Dragon Valley.

banana trees come with Showtime.

old mill venue gives you corn and cucumbers and a canning station.

Carl's Guide can give you lots of clues about gardening.

the money trees will drop their seed when they become perfect. They can die from neglect or after a few Sim generations.

Post edited by Karritz on
  • NosilaukaNosilauka Posts: 6 New Member
    I've just got University - any tips on things to do with the beans and herbs?
  • NosilaukaNosilauka Posts: 6 New Member
    Also, I always plant the Zombie Sunflowers - even if you don't use the composter, the sun rays are worth 100 simoleons each, so a good source of cash...
  • dothesmustledothesmustle Posts: 1,851 Member
    If you have ambitions you can sometimes get the harvester from the consignment store or even make one yourself using the inventing bench.
    Combo tip, the harvester and green dragon together are worth their weight in gardening gold, my sim reached level 10 of the gardening career without ever planting a plant by combining those two and travelling.
    Tallutha's garden in France is awesome for high valuable harvestable's but it is only accessible with pangu's axe from China adventure chain and of course it's much better if you can spend a day or two down there with your little green dragon, take some dried food and a sketch book or guitar and your golden!
    You can call me smustle or Lori if you prefer.
    Where is Tallutha's garden? I don't think I've found all the hidden places in France yet.
  • dothesmustledothesmustle Posts: 1,851 Member
    I am trying to think how to describe where it is, you know that inaccessible lump of land in the river if you go to the right of that on the mainland there is an area where butterflies normally spawn and there is a smashable rock there, you get access to talutha's garden via that but it isn't an easy tomb, when you get to the bottom floor jump in the water thingy and explore and you are transported over to an underground tomb in that bit in the river and there it is!
    You can call me smustle or Lori if you prefer.
  • sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    edited February 2015
    @Penndra, there are actually 19 plantables in the Base game. They are:
    Apple, Bell Pepper, Burger Patty, Cheese, Death Flower, Egg, Flame Fruit, Garlic, Grape, Lettuce, Life Fruit, Lime, Money Tree, Omni Plant, Onion, Potato, Steak, Tomato and Watermelon.

You might find this page from the wiki useful as it includes a table of most of the harvestables, though not those that were added by the newer venues and sets.
    Game Help:Sims 3 Skills/Gardening

Edited to fix link
    Post edited by sirguylittle on
    Thankyou for the list :)
    Omni Plant
    How does one obtain an omni plant? I had acquired a seed for one once somewhere around the science building of the main game's first town. But never again have I found that seed. I do frequent the omni plant by the thieves building in Riverview and feed it rare or expensive ingredients.
  • moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
    I am actually more interested in recipes. Are those vegetables and fruits from the store also useful in new recipes? Or are they only good for direct intake and jams?
    tumblr_noncvdlzEI1unxm84o1_540.png

Penndra wrote: »
    Omni Plant<br />
    How does one obtain an omni plant? I had acquired a seed for one once somewhere around the science building of the main game's first town. But never again have I found that seed. I do frequent the omni plant by the thieves building in Riverview and feed it rare or expensive ingredients.

You get the ability to grow the Omni Plant and get Omni Plant seeds from the mail box by completing a series of Opportunities. I haven't managed to do it for a few years now mainly due to lack of interest.

I have read people say that getting the seeds from the mailbox doesn't work any more but I haven't tried it for years so don't know.

When your gardener Sim gets to Level 8 or above they will be asked to deliver 20 Excellent or above harvestables and the reward is the ability to plant cheese and eggs.

Later on there is another opportunity to deliver 10 (or 20 I can't remember the exact number) of Excellent or above quality cheeses. That takes while to do as you have to get your cheese to the quality required.

When you have the cheese and can deliver it your Sim gets the ability to grow steak and patty plants.

Then the next opportunity is to deliver a quantity of Excellent or above steaks. Once the steaks of the required quality have been delivered you will be able to grow the Omni plant and can order seeds through the mail. If ordering through the mail isn't broken.n

The numbers and plant quality required may not be exactly correct but this is the general idea of how you get the Omni plant.

It takes a lot of dedication to do it. Apparently the best way to get the opportunities is to have a Sim that has high gardening skill and not many other skills. This will keep the skill opportunity slot available for these opportunities. I recently made a sim with the purpose of having her have only the gardening skill to get these opportunities. But then I got sidetracked and haven't done anything much with her.
    I am actually more interested in recipes. Are those vegetables and fruits from the store also useful in new recipes? Or are they only good for direct intake and jams?

They are used by sims to make pancakes and cobbler and possibly other things.

Everything harvestable or bought is used in some recipe somewhere. If your having trouble finding a recipe, watch the cooking channel as often as possible. One of my sims was watching cooking channel because he wanted to learn yet another recipe after reading everything that was available... and he learned Shawarma, which is a recipe from Sim Hara and I hadn't been there yet with that household, so I suspect recipes from other odd places can be learned that way too.

I have just started a new household because I want to see how many recipes can be learned from the tv :P
    I haven't made any jams yet. Just got that set and hoping to get time to play it this weekend. What all can be made at the canning station?
  • moonandsixpensmoonandsixpens Posts: 553 Member
    edited December 2014
    Karritz wrote: »

They are used by sims to make pancakes and cobbler and possibly other things.

I see. Thanks!

Penndra wrote: »

Everything harvestable or bought is used in some recipe somewhere. If your having trouble finding a recipe, watch the cooking channel as often as possible. One of my sims was watching cooking channel because he wanted to learn yet another recipe after reading everything that was available... and he learned Shawarma, which is a recipe from Sim Hara and I hadn't been there yet with that household, so I suspect recipes from other odd places can be learned that way too.

I have just started a new household because I want to see how many recipes can be learned from the tv :P

My sim has learned almost every recipe. Just thinking if the store content will bring more recipes like the fire oven from Monte Vista does. I guess I am asking for too much :P
    tumblr_noncvdlzEI1unxm84o1_540.png

edited December 2014
    If you have the bakery then you will have a lot of new recipes.

If you have showtime and supernatural you will be able to make genies in CAS and they can summon food. They can summon all food you have in your game including recipes children make in the toy oven and the things the ice cream truck sells and recipes that come with any other things such as the wood fired oven or deep fryer etc...

If you have into the future there a new future type recipes and a food synthesizer. Genies can summon those foods too.

This thread has a lot of information in it about bakeries, recipes and genies summoning food.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/747068/bakery-old-mill-builds-please-post-your-pics-and-links/p1
    edited December 2014
    My sim has learned almost every recipe. Just thinking if the store content will bring more recipes like the fire oven from Monte Vista does. I guess I am asking for too much :P

http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/skills/cooking/recipe-list.php
    Recipes with
    Adventures
    Super Natural
    and pumpkin pie with Seasons
    And any of the oven-like objects like the Teppanyaki Grill
    And I just watched my Sim deep fry bacon then put that into the ice cream maker and made bacon icecream!
  • el_chavo86el_chavo86 Posts: 2 New Member
    thx a lot !!! this helps me ..