Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4, three months on...

On Tuesday September the 7th, 2014 the world changed forever. EA games had released a new game that was posted as their biggest and boldest game yet, a game all about The Sims that would provide a richer and more fulfilling experince than we have ever felt before, get a deeper connection with your Sims in new situations with a new emotion system where your Sims are now smarter and more inteeligent, no more bumping into each other and shurgging their shoulders, no more standing around doing nothing and no more empty community lots, this town will be full of life and you, the player will be in control of it all, but then the game would also be able to play itself and allow the player to spend time on rich new building tools to make the ultimate Sims world.

Forget the 'buggy mess' that was The Sims 3 and the daftness of the 'old fashioned' The Sims 2 and the restrictions from The Sims 1, this is 2014 and this game will be the biggest game of the year. People will be camping outside of gaming stores in tents to buy this game and for those who didn't get it in the first few weeks, you would be gaurnteed to know a few people who will get it for Christmas. This game would be a sell out and ground breaking, breaking all records and being the greatest game of all time.

That was the vision but the reality is different, very different. The game was marred buy cut content, and i am not gtalking about small stuff, sure small things like news papers, dish washers and the such would be lift out but bigger things as well, the pools, the toddlers, NPCs, careers, cars and biggest of all, no CASt and now Open World and an CAW tool.

A long time ago I decided to not buy this game, I was satisfied with TS3 after years of hard work, upgrades, set backs, achivments and everything the game could throw at me but I thought i would keep y eye on the progress of the next installment to The Sims series out of curiosity. I though 'if i see something that i like, if i can see a 'wow factor' then i will think about getting it in the long term, a future project maybe?

But there was no 'wow factor' there was no 'I am going to buy that the day it comes out' and after watching the awkward 'Lets plays' and 'live streams' or whatever they are called i could not really see what the game had on offer that I had not seen before. What was this game showing what the other games didn't? We lost alot of content but what compensates?

Where is the wow factor, what is 'The thang' that this game will make us buy it? The emotions? No thank you, i like my TS3 traits and moodlets. Added humour? Not laughing. Angry poops? You what?

Of course these are my own opinions, i am sure there a few who love the game but sadly, many do not and i hate to see fellow Simmers disapointed. Did this game make big time sells? Outshine its predessors? After many canclled preorders and 24 hour refunds one has to wonder why sells figures have never been published. Many people where on the fence about buying the game and many never crossed that fence and now, many never will.

Its funny as it has been said that TS3 was ahead of its time and it really was, few PCs could handle it back then, but five and a half years later, as people have upgraded their PCs TS3 is as big as ever, in fact it has grown in popularity alot lately. Its just a shame that some issues where left in fixed with the exceptions of the great efforts of the mod community. EA game abanded ship with many things while the great devs, who i have a great deal of respect for have fought hard to make a great game but their talents have been indermind by the higher ups. Games are being pushed out rush, unfinished and buggy and they wonder why they have not made the big sells? I think that is obvious.

Anyway, this isn't a rant and it isn't aimed at anyone personally, and it is certaintly not aimed at the developers of the game, it is just a review of the situation of the game that after three months has not contained the hype of the previous three, it has not contained the wow factor and it does not have 'that thang'

Happy Simming :-)
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    edited December 2014
    "On Tuesday September the 7th, 2014 the world changed forever. "
    Nooooooop.

Toddlers and open world were not cut, they were never there in the first place.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I agree with much of what you said. I actually did buy it, though. So from my point of view, the honeymoon was over after 2 weeks for me. I did enjoy it at first, which was surprising, but all the nuances and bugs the crept into my game just made me dislike it a lot. My founders were culled and disappeared from the game. Once they were gone, for some reason, the siblings were no longer siblings and their children started romantic relations on their own. The grind of playing more than one household with those linear, no other option but EA's goals just became redundantly boring. And then it was just like...whatever. I had a favorite sim that I planned on continuing with, but the wide jaw, small eyes bug got to him and changed his features enough that he was unrecognizable. So I abandoned ship altogether.

The only thing that TS4 did that I like is made it easier for me to go back and play TS2. While I was playing TS3, through frustration and rage, I declared I would go back and play TS2 instead. However, that open world had me too spoiled and I have never been able to successfully transition back. But TS4s closed world and loading screens have made it very easy, indeed, and I have been enjoying TS2 now thanks to TS4. LOL. And the bonus is that the game is complete and there is tons of content available for it.
    edited December 2014
    Nooooooop.

Actually, Graham is on the record saying toddlers would be in the game.

---EDIT---It was Grant who said it.

And @Kelly_Blake - TS4 has been in development for at least 5 years so it is not unrealistic to expect what is stated 1 year before release to actually be in the game. Especially when it is a huge feature like a lifestage. That means they had to have been working on them because animations are done long before then.
    Post edited by Mstybl95 on
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Nooooooop.

Wasn't that like before anything was even done to the game? Like half a year before any of the actual news?
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Nooooooop.

I hope this is not offensive, it is was Grant R. who said all life stages would be in the game at the first Gamescon in an interview. It was Graham N. who said they would be a priority after the backlash. I know it is very easy to get them mixed up. But I want to just clear that up before anyone comes in to tell you to get your facts straight in not a nice way. But I agree with you and the OP. It is unfortunate this game doesn't have that 'wow' factor like all the others did and why I just consider it a side game I played for awhile while waiting on my series game for PC. And still waiting.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    people ever camped out for sims?
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    people ever camped out for sims?

Uh, yes, they did. I remember on the old TS2 BBS those who were going to line up at their stores so when the doors opened at midnight they would have the game. Not many people back then actually downloaded these games. We had the EA Downloader )EADM but not many liked that idea and most purchased the DVD because of the backlash from the SecuRom wars. Where EA had to back down and promise Securom would not be on the new TS3 DVD..so yes, many camped out in front of their hometown stores (or so they said) to buy the TS3 on DVD. Not many wanted to download it since it was fact the DL would have Securom or a version of it. Sorry for the long history.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Back in the days of TS2 we had what was known as Peps, pre expansion pack syndrome where the hype of a new EP was huge. There is none of that hype surrounding TS4
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited December 2014
    Back in the days of TS2 we had what was known as Peps, pre expansion pack syndrome where the hype of a new EP was huge. There is none of that hype surrounding TS4

Maybe it'll happen when there's actually an EP announced? But it won't happen here, given the approximately 100% odds that anyone posting Yay I Want This EP! will end up with their entire thread taken over by people telling them Sims 4 is plum.

I like this game and am looking forward to EPs. This forum, however, ...
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

That's so true. I've seen posts on here speculating that OFB might be the first EP. That is my favorite EP of all time and even that has not sparked my interest in TS4 anymore. I literally went...meh...when I read it.
  • blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    I miss the good old days of being excited for a new Sims game, EP or even the SP. When Sims 2 was released I got off work 1/2 hour early so I could stand in line outside the local Best Buy, that line was to the end of the parking lot. Granted that day released other games and videos but I stood there, in the rain waiting to get Sims 2. Was never bored with the base game, because I would be anxious until the weekends to play. Weekends were my off days, I had to limit myself so I don't pull all nighters on my work days. I miss that so much because Sims 4 didn't excite me that much. Never did I think a Sims game would not be opened for weeks. SMH That honeymoon went by too fast. LOL
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    blewis823 wrote: »
    I miss the good old days of being excited for a new Sims game, EP or even the SP. When Sims 2 was released I got off work 1/2 hour early so I could stand in line outside the local Best Buy, that line was to the end of the parking lot. Granted that day released other games and videos but I stood there, in the rain waiting to get Sims 2. Was never bored with the base game, because I would be anxious until the weekends to play. Weekends were my off days, I had to limit myself so I don't pull all nighters on my work days. I miss that so much because Sims 4 didn't excite me that much. Never did I think a Sims game would not be opened for weeks. SMH That honeymoon went by too fast. LOL
    I know that feeling, I was excited to get home from school so I could play Sims, woke up early on weekends to play. Ahh the good old days- now I feel old :(
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    "Its funny as it has been said that TS3 was ahead of its time and it really was, few PCs could handle it back then, but five and a half years later, as people have upgraded their PCs TS3 is as big as ever, in fact it has grown in popularity alot lately."
    TS3 is still poorly coded. Good PCs can lag on it, bad PCs can run it perfectly. It's like a lottery. Even with a new PC I was never able to run it really well. I managed to get it to run decent with 5 expansions, but I won't buy the rest as it would be pushing it.

I see potential in TS4. I like how it has no store and how we're receiving free updates. I don't know if developers would be even half as nice to us as they are if this game outsold its predecessor. I hope that they will continue to follow good practices, drop the price a little (24£ sales price was a good one) and slowly make this game shine.
    My favorite thing about it though are the unlockables. When achievements were implemented to The Sims 3, I was overjoyed - something to do! Now I have that something to do times 10. It gives me direction :)
    edited December 2014
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    blewis823 wrote: »
    I know that feeling, I was excited to get home from school so I could play Sims, woke up early on weekends to play. Ahh the good old days- now I feel old :(

I couldnt even sleep the night before a new EP lol
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    The world did not change forever on that September the 7th, 2014 - now 9/11 was a world changing event.
    The world did not change forever on that September the 7th, 2014 - now 9/11 was a world changing event.

That's the point I was trying to make, TS4 had no hype and in my game it was business as usual
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg