Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"refreshing" content in the community

2...Next

Comments

• brytewolfbrytewolf Posts: 144 Member
    Wouldn't forcing your content to stay on the first page, even though it's been up there for days....defeat the entire purpose of having a "most recent" category to begin with? The whole point of the category is for NEW things...so people can see the newest creations. Not the same stuff over and over again, which is my impression of the other categories.
    5xgM8XF.gif
  • RacerX780RacerX780 Posts: 475 Member
    Seems to me there is just too much content for 'Most recent' to even really do anything... I mean, yeah, it shows the most recent... But the amount of items uploaded is just insane.

I think they need to add a 1 day qualifier... I like the 7 day and all time, and I think having a 1 day 'most of' category would be really helpful.
  • ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    > @brytewolf said:
    > Wouldn't forcing your content to stay on the first page, even though it's been up there for days....defeat the entire purpose of having a "most recent" category to begin with? The whole point of the category is for NEW things...so people can see the newest creations. Not the same stuff over and over again, which is my impression of the other categories.

I've been thinking about your post- which has been by far the most productive =) What if they added a new search filter that was something like: "Recently Refreshed"- that way "new" content stayed in the Most Recent and if you WANTED to repush content, it would go to "Recently Refreshed"...
  • SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    ASDF0716 wrote: »
    > @brytewolf said:<br />
    > Wouldn't forcing your content to stay on the first page, even though it's been up there for days....defeat the entire purpose of having a "most recent" category to begin with? The whole point of the category is for NEW things...so people can see the newest creations. Not the same stuff over and over again, which is my impression of the other categories.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I've been thinking about your post- which has been by far the most productive =) What if they added a new search filter that was something like: "Recently Refreshed"- that way "new" content stayed in the Most Recent and if you WANTED to repush content, it would go to "Recently Refreshed"...

In my experience with the gallery, the most common things re-uploaded are those that raise the rating of the game over Teen. I definitely don't want any changes made that make it easier for people to upload pregnant minors & nude sims - seeing those once is one time too many for me.
  • brytewolfbrytewolf Posts: 144 Member
    > @brytewolf said:<br />
    > Wouldn't forcing your content to stay on the first page, even though it's been up there for days....defeat the entire purpose of having a "most recent" category to begin with? The whole point of the category is for NEW things...so people can see the newest creations. Not the same stuff over and over again, which is my impression of the other categories.<br />
    <br />
    <br />

While a good idea, I couldn't actually see myself using that type of filter, and can't imagine anyone wanting to. Yeah, it sucks that 95% of the content gets buried (even good stuff) under the deluge of constant uploads, but I'd be terrified of what @SpradaciSproj mentioned. Those are usually, in my experience, the type of people that most often want to keep their creations on the front page. While that's probably not the type of content you'd want to refresh, you'd have it to contend with :\
    5xgM8XF.gif
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited December 2014
    > @KevWalker said:<br />
    > You're assuming that everyone will also think your uploads are good - everbody who uploads probably feels that way - however taste is a very individual and subjective matter, what you consider to be great others may consider lousy. Continually pushing old content to the top is going to get confusing.<br />
    <br />
    You are assuming I'm assuming anything.<br />
    <br />
    I'm- in fact- NOT assuming my uploads are good- that's why uploads have a download/Favorited feature... the COMMUNITY would decide what is good- as they do now. My argument is that a refresh option would allow you to KEEP pushing things the community appears to find good to the surface- or- as a counterpoint- to push content for a time to see if people like it and if not, to add, change or delete that content.<br />
    <br />
    The argument that people will push (subjectively) crappy things because THEY think they are good doesn't work for me because- look at the gallery now- it's filled with what I see as crappy sims and crappy houses- you know what happens? Those things don't get Favorited and I ignore them unless there is something else that catches my attention and warrants further investigation. Presumably, anyone that pushes content to the world at large considers it "good"- unless they are trolling like the naked Justin Beiber and/or pregnant teens or whatever, however, again, if the intent there is ultimately only to troll, they are going to do that anyway and that's EA's problem.<br />
    <br />
    Content is content... I'm not sure how WHEN something was created has any relevance to how good it may be. Why exactly would that be confusing?

As you've pointed out, the community already decides what is good. You can easily sort by the number of downloads or favorites to see what the community thinks is good. I trust that method more than an individual who believes everyone just HAS to see his uploads every single day because they are "just that good." If the upload is good, it will get a lot of downloads to distinguish it from the rest.

I'm sorry, but refreshing would totally defeat the purpose of sorting by "most recent." I want to see what's actually new, not the same crap being bumped week after week. If I didn't like it then, I won't like it now.

And I believe you've answered your own question when you said: "it's filled with what I see as crappy sims and crappy houses- you know what happens? Those things don't get Favorited and I ignore them..." You won't be able to ignore them if they keep getting bumped.
  • COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    edited December 2014
    I would consider myself a "Picky" Idividual when it comes to the gallery. I usually like to pick whatever I see fit for my towns. If I don't like something I don't download it, I don't favorite it I just move on to the next upload in general. You know how "Happy", it would make to see the same things that I don't want show up repeatedly.

I wouldn't be...

And what if it's griefers, with the "Refreashing" system who's to stop them from spamming bad content? It's bad enough some people don't label CC sims with the " #CC ", but it's worst if we give the griefers, and spammers ammo to spam the gallery.
  • Joey2eyeballJoey2eyeball Posts: 1,792 Member
    It could be handy, but I don't see it working out.
    My name is Joseph, please don't call me Joe or Joey.

Yours sincerely, Joseph :)