Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What mods do you use/recommend?

Hello, I just recently started playing SIms and was wondering what mods are recommended to use that make gameplay more interesting (but not cheaty). Things such as enhancing story progression, genetics, etc.

Also where would I download them and how would I download them?

Thank you

Comments

• loyallyroyalloyallyroyal Posts: 353 Member
    I like NRAAS register mod, I like being able to have no paparazzi, determine how many strays there are, ect. I have a bunch of tuning mods that handle things I find annoying, like the super fast social decay on pets.

I would check out mod the sims to get you started.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Once you find some mods that you like, whether it be from our site, Mod the Sims, or elsewhere, here is an illustrated guide to setting up the Framework and getting them installed.
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • DeathJohnsonDeathJohnson Posts: 166 Member
    I don't really use game-altering mods yet, I use a few minor mods, and the only one I would really consider to be a must-have is the "Saver" mod, that prompts you to save your game regularly. Now I won't lose hours of gameplay if it suddenly decides to crash.
    Insaniac Family Blog: http://sims3insaniac.blogspot.ca/
    My YouTube Channel: http://bit.ly/1xsbrTS (I don't do Sims videos, but you can still check it out and see if there's anything you like)
    My Twitch Channel: http://bit.ly/13Ccp3y
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    NRAAS:
    - Overwatch, to stop things that can stuff up the game
    - Error Trap, to stop things that can corrupt the game
    - Register, to stop wild horses for spawning, along with stray pet populations you don't want. You have to adjust settings. There are also times when the game assigns sims to community lots registers that I don't want working registers. I assign other sims.
    - Relativity, to adjust the rate in which time flows. TS3 default time passes too quickly for me, so I slow things so my sims have time to enjoy their days and nights.
    - Story progression, to stop EA's story progression from making unwanted changes to other households when I am not playing them.
    - Master Controller, I like editing townies and switching households quickly. It has a lot of handy features.

Take time to read all the instructions and get to know your mods. :)

I am wary of anything that uses World Adventures, but the Traveler mod just seems like a wonderful idea since I want to visit Isla Paradiso not live in it. I have only used it a couple of times, so I can't confidently recommend it, but it was great sending my suburban and country sims to Bridgeport, and other sims to Isla Paridiso and possibly other worlds different from the one they live in.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    The two "musts" are Error Trap and Overwatch from NRAAS. They will fix most of the lag and stuck Sims you get.

Others that are nice are "Register," "Traffic," "Master Controller" ("Master Controller Cheats") all from NRAAS.
  • IrishSimsloverIrishSimslover Posts: 715 Member
    As others have stated above: You need at least overtrap and errortrap in your game. They help recover the sims that go 'missing' thanks to routing issues, and they clean up the insane amount of cars that are left behind by townies at the community lots (and they turn off stereos and tvs in townie homes that aren't being used).

TL;DR: They really help cut down on lag problems.

If you want to have any sort of story progression in your town, you need the story progression mod from NRASS. Because it makes the game function in the way that EA (I presume) intended, but somehow borked it up. Sims that go steady actually progress in their relationships towards marriage/parenthood or they eventually break up. Proper amounts of children are born and elders die at a proper rate (as to with EA's SP that keeps the elders and townies without kids).

TL;DR: Don't want to constantly seed your town with sims? The SP mod will keep things running (you just might need to tweak things once in a while to your own tastes).

Hope this helps, and welcome to the Sims!
    tumblr_inline_ml9leeQUvj1qz4rgp.jpg
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I use NRaas Mods and have 68 files of NRaas Mods currently installed because EA's 'story prgression" is just a major bug-fest and is only good for destroying people's games with messing the towns up with stuffing pets into households and starting too many babies and changing relationships too fast.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • roboticromanticsroboticromantics Posts: 242 Member
    I suppose for the fun aspects, I highly recommend NRaas's Story Progression and Traveler.

I realized, looking through my mods folder, most of my mods are for better or more efficient gameplay. I have a lot of "No Autonomous", "No More...", "Faster..." etc. mods from Mod The Sims.

Also, I cannot recommend NRaas's Saver mod enough. Seriously. This has saved me... literally... so many times.
  • KramYraeloKramYraelo Posts: 734 Member
    edited November 2014
    I use just about all the NRAAS mods, about the only one I don't have installed is the dresser one.

Another I really like for building is the Add Any Size lot mod. I'm running the latest patch (1.67?) and it still works. I allows you to add those weird lot sizes EA used for placing different lots. If your a builder, it allows a bit more freedom in lot sizes when working. You can find it here:
    http://modthesims.info/d/471164

You have to register to download from ModTheSims, but it's free, and most importantly safe.

Best regards,

Krammy
  • LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    I use almost all of the Nraas mods. Seriously, a lot of these have saved my game time and again. I also like a few mods from MTS such as "No Curfew" because I hate when teen and child sims are out with their parents at night and they all of a sudden get arrested for "Being out past curfew". Uh...I always thought it was the parent's job to set a curfew. Not the cops. No wonder those ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ can never catch a burglar.

There are other mods from MTS. I recommend just looking around on that site and seeing what you can find.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited November 2014
    Overwatch,
    Mastercontroller,
    Storyprogression,
    are my musts. Then woohooer, traveler, relativity and portraitpanel. You name them - Nraas Industries got them! And you can trust them blindfolded. Just install the mods one at a time to see if they correspond to your expectations. The gameplay is so much better, that seriously I don't think I would have stuck so long with the sims without Twallan to make it worthwhile! :D
    - There are also quite a few at MTS, secure and helpful! Good luck!
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Vampfan3Vampfan3 Posts: 3 New Member
    Any NRAAS mods are great for the game, it's a bit like you've gotten a new update that's brought amazing things to the game, but it's just a mod, right at your fingertips. Some mods I'd recommend if you want a new feature for your sims, story sims if you're into that could be the CmoMoney Smoking Mod, Dexter The Bear, and the Arisuka Zombie pack. Others just to improve your preferences in the gameplay experience are the hidden traits, book of talent (it allows you to master any skill with just a click) Hidden Skills Unhidden, and the obvious No Build Sparkles.
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Story Progression, no curfew for teens/kids, recolorable rabbit holes etc... are the ones I use.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • AnaCecilia63AnaCecilia63 Posts: 190 Member
    Nraas Mods of course!

I use:
    Overwatch
    Master Controller
    Master Controller Cheats
    Story Progression
    Relativity
    Register
    Dresser
    Error Trap
    Debug Enabler
    Once Read
    Porter
    Decensor

There's a lot more but these are the ones I'm using at the moment (I use Traveler too, at times). They all work perfectly. I wouldn't be able to play properly without them. ;)

Other Mods I use (not from Nraas):

Pokeytax No Full Moon Lighting Effect
    Buhudain Starfield V2
    The Idle Killer
    BrntWaffles_Shimrod Camera155_DriftLowLevel_Edit
    velocity grass Add Any Lot Size
    himawara106 fastercooking_eating tweaks

The majority of them are from MTS. Oh, and I use a ton of custom Sliders. So far no problems with any of these so I highly recommend them all. I hope this helped.
    My Tumblr
    My Blog
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win". ~ Mahatma Gandhi.
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    And I use cmar's height slider.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    Hospital overhaul mod
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    • all of Twallan's mods except Saver
    • some 90% of Ani's mods
    • some 98% of ATS3 Sandi's modded CC
    • a ton of other CC mods from sites like MTS etc. (CC like Fresh Prince cars, Equus horse supplies, new furniture, sim skins, new custom worlds etc). Script mods that add new game play features like MissyHissy Careers, new recipes, Jynx Rabbit holes, cmomoney cigarette smoking mod, pose player etc.

List is endless :)
  • Redninja52Redninja52 Posts: 200 Member
    what new recipe mod have you found ^^

• yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Icarus allsort's cook with any ingredient mod. Had to replaced both Blackcat007 (ani's updated version) and SimMattheiu's food mods with this one. This mod was a stroke of pure genius TBH. Can't tell you how many times I've wanted to make spagetti with tomatoes and eggplant for my vegan sims. Or Honey lemon firecracker shrimp scampini for those summer beach cookouts at SV beach :)

There is also Nona's edible food script mods that lets your sims eat a ton of new foods from CC creators around the web. Like OBP's gourmet burgers, DarkShado's Pizza, Nona's raw meats (for SN sims) or ATS3 Sandy's bistro mod foods. Nona's lists all these script supported foods on her blog site.

There are some other food supplemental mods like Icarus Make hot beverages as well
  • Redninja52Redninja52 Posts: 200 Member
    yeah i might get them after i get all the ep i only late night and some pf the store
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    And I use cmar's height slider.
    Me too, mostly because I like tall men... ;) It could be troublesome with poses though as they're made for standard heights...

NymlADp.jpg