Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Do You Even Own The Game?"

Comments

• xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    If I'm ever in a position to install my Sims 3 games on my computer again, the two EP's I'll probably leave out are Supernatural and Into the Future.

I thought ITF was so silly to the point where I didn't even purchase it. Terrible concept, content and execution.

I bought it for the dystopian future......what a disappointment. All I have installed are WA,Amb and Supe.

World Adventures was a disappointment IMO. I even uninstalled it because it messed up my games and added nothing valuable other than stupid quests.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    If I'm ever in a position to install my Sims 3 games on my computer again, the two EP's I'll probably leave out are Supernatural and Into the Future.

I thought ITF was so silly to the point where I didn't even purchase it. Terrible concept, content and execution.

I bought it for the dystopian future......what a disappointment. All I have installed are WA,Amb and Supe.

World Adventures was a disappointment IMO. I even uninstalled it because it messed up my games and added nothing valuable other than stupid quests.
    But I love quests every now and then and I love supernaturals. (ITF isn't like WA at all O.o)
    Anyway, there are conversations like this over in the S3 section, where they belong lol. Come and join :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    DevilH4 wrote: »
    DevilH4 wrote: »
    A long time ago, yes, you needed to purchase a game or play a demo to see if it was good or not, but nowadays, we have Youtube, we have more HONEST reviewers, we got Twitch. All these things help a consumer in determining whether a game is worth their money.

I agree.

I does not make you capable enough of giving feedback and the actual game, though.

So, basically, what you're saying is that people who make the decision not to buy the game based purely on their research are incapable of coming on here and giving any meaningful feedback on the game? At least, that's the way I read it, so maybe you could clarify your statement, because as it stands, it's ambiguous and could be interpreted in ways that you didn't mean.

What Derek said, sounded pretty insulting to me...

My interpretation here is while researching a game can give a person enough knowledge to talk about whether they like this feature or that, whether they think they will enjoy it, what additional features they'd like to see, what they find disappointing, it still does not enable them to give feedback on the actual playing of the game, at least not from a first-hand perspective.

I can read up all I want on some new model of car, watch promotional videos, even go down to the dealership and view the car in person, but until I sit behind the steering wheel, I cannot say how the car handles. I can quote what others have said about the handling of the car, but I cannot speak from personal experience. I certainly would know enough from the research if it were a car that would not suit me at all, and I could authoritatively tell people my opinion because I know what I like and I know what I've seen in the research.

Going back to the game: people who research and do not buy certainly can form opinions on whether they'd like it, because they know what they like/don't like and know what the game has to offer/not offer because they have researched carefully. They have good, solid opinions. However, they are not really in a position to comment on actual gameplay, because they have not played.

Watching a car being driven and driving it yourself are two different things. You can watch, and you can tell if there are things about the car you really hate or other things you'd really like to see added. However, you can only speculate as to what it would feel like to sit behind the wheel and drive it.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited November 2014
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    No, it is different this time. People are walking away. <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    But what can they do? Lines of codes don't auto magically generate themselves. <br />
    <br />
    Maybe communication. I wonder what's coming after the December patch.

No, I do not think code magically generates. Actually I think this game is harder to write then most. It requires a lot more code and animation then say a RPG. Especially if it is open ended and is a true sandbox game. I appreciate the fact that they did try to come up with a game that we would all like despite the constraints of time and budget and that they are trying to patch some of the things back in.

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Finally, some sense on these forums!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Finally, some sense on these forums!
    Yeah. None of that false hopes everybody's been clinging on to that I keep seeing on every thread. Let's be real here guys.
  • EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    Come to think of it , you know what's the saddest part in this "lover" "hater" fight ?

In the end, everyone wants the same thing -> the sims 4 to be a good game. It's just that some thought they could enjoy the game despite it's lacks.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    Come to think of it , you know what's the saddest part in this "lover" "hater" fight ?<br />
    <br />
    In the end, everyone wants the same thing -> the sims 4 to be a good game. It's just that some thought they could enjoy the game despite it's lacks.

The people are responsible for doing that to themselves. It really should be about what benefits the game.

• CurolaCurola Posts: 86 Member
    edited November 2014
    I think people should be allowed to say "I don't like TS4" even when they didn't play/buy it. At least as long they have more arguments than "I just don't like ist because others don't like it". And why shouldn't people read and write here? They might not have bougt the game but may still be interested in it - just in case it gets better.

For me as example - I have to admit that I don't own TS4 yet. I just love family and generation gameplay and TS4 just hasn't enough gameplay in it for making it worth 60 bucks (here in Europe we have to pay 60€, that are a lot more than 60$!) - for me, at this time. If the game is getting better, because EA maybe adds more family gameplay and the price is less - then maybe I'll buy it.

And today you really have to think twice if you really want to buy a game. And TS4 really had bad press before it's start, so please don't blame the people for being careful. In the past I could have taken the risk, buy the game in a store I like and then either like and keep it or sell it or make it a gift to someone else. I didn't have to register a game or activate it online or things like that. But if you play TS4, you have to register it before playing. If you don't like it - bad luck for you, you can't just sell it to a friend or at ebay. As you can't register it a second time, it would be useless for the person recieving it. Of course, you can buy it at Origin and give it back if you don't like it. But Origin is pretty expensive and I prefer having a DVD if I pay full price.

So, if someone is saying "I prefer waiting a little and watching the game", or "I watched some videos, but didn't find anything interesting for me" - why should he buy the game? And why shouldn't they give feedback about what they are missing? If EA patches the missing stuff in it - for getting the money from the people that haven't bought it yet - it's good for us all. EA wouldn't be that interested in making the game better if there wouldn't be more money to get. They already have the money from the buyers and the people who like the game... they wouldn't have to give it to them for free, if it wasn't for new customers, it would be better for EA to sell it as DLC.....
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2014
    As a former writer and artist - I can say first hand it physically hurts, even destroys one's self esteem (from a little bit to a lot) if something you have poured your heart and soul into is hated. So I can understand what it is like to be on the side of the creators of this game.

On the other hand as a player of the Sims who went from just playing a life simulation game because I enjoyed it - to a person whose real life circumstances changed over the last few years to the point where I am almost dependent on the game for replacing things I can no longer do in real life - in other words i live vicariously through my sims a lot lately. To most people that probably sounds a bit insane - but believe me - if you feel that way I realize you would have to live my life to truly understand. But for me the Sims has strangely evolved into something I have come to try and enjoy some of the things I used to enjoy in real life - as well as to fulfill fantasies - like playing witches and fairies to just living life via families. Ironically even though I was able to satisfy the fantasy side of my enjoyment of the game in Sims 3 - there was a lot about the overall feel of the game that left me feeling empty as far as the non-fantasy side of the Sims 3 went - that i had experienced when I used to play Sims 2. Of course when i played Sims 2 it was just a game to me - a very enjoyable game but a game non-the-less as I was then very busy living real life and did not play my game as a substitute for real life. I did play my game when I had time or made time - and played in such a way that was anything but the way i lived my real life. It was more of a game where I played out a life I didn't lead - like playing a homeless mean old sims with his sweet little daughter to see if I couldn't make the childs life better. Or playing a family with a single parent with 7 toddlers and no help and no money. You know I am sure some of challenge games that were out there including all the many legacies. I discovered I loved the family style play and the struggle.

When Sims 3 came out it did not show thru the numerous videos how lacking the game was in family play - and of course i was a bit deaf to the fact the Guru's or Maxoids or what ever you called them kept pushing about the Sims 3 being about the world in which the Sims lived. I said to myself - okay so the world will be my sims families able to go more places and do more things. This is what i thought. This is what i saw in the videos - but it took buying the game and playing the game to find out that should not have been called the Sims but the Sims world. Almost all the kind of play I had learned to love and cherish was tossed right out of the door. Half of me wanted to just throw my hands in the air and stop playing the game - period - but another part of me felt a big empty space where I had no sims as I had had Securom issues with Sims 2 where I could not play that game anymore so I had given it away. It was sims 3 or nothing. I was addicted to the sims, no denying that - so I found ways around playing the way I really wanted to play the game and found I could still enjoy the game to a degree - just not to the depth I enjoyed Sims 2. Then half way through the production of sims 3 - real life threw me a major curve ball. i was diagnosed with Leukemia. I won't get into all of that - but lets just say the Sims sort of became my life - especially after treatment of my illness kept turning badly for me and every side affect there is a possibility to have it seemed I got - but on a good note my illness went into remission. The side affects i still contend with and I am housebound - so when people tell me to get a life - well I have one. It's called the Sims.

That said when Sims 4 was announced and they said the Sims 4 would be a return to the Sims themselves and what made us love the Sims 2 Sims - well i was just overjoyed. Even though I found enough about Sims 3 to get lost in the game - my dream of a more modern version of Sims 2 sounded like it was about to be fulfilled. Nowadays I tend to dream small compared to most real people - so you need to understand that to understand why I can sometimes be defensive of the Sims. Sometimes I am called rude and condescending in my defense of the game - when I never intend to be or sound as either. I know i always feel bad when someone tells me that, as I would never intentionally be mean to anyone - but unfortunately it seems to be the way i am received.

But anyway the vision I saw in my head of the Sims 4 was Sims 2 brought up to date through technology and realism. So there was no question that I would pre-order this game. I did and that is why i bought the Sims 4 and also why i sort of objected to people wanting the game to include things from Sims 3. Granted though Sims 4 is not really a return to the Sims many of us knew and loved in Sims 2 just by them omitting toddlers. In my book they should have omitted the YA age and added the toddlers as the YA stage only became a part of Sims 2 solely for University. So I found it really odd everything is all about the YA sims and toddlers totally missing. i did not care there were no pools or any of the other missing content in game but the fact there were no toddlers because with that single omission the game was not as they described of getting back to the basics of the Sims 2 sims.

I have played the game and there is a lot about it that is fun - it has great potential - but not without the stages of life that actually made Sims 2 the most popular of the Sims games. But as always i can only write my own viewpoint on the issue and I can understand not everyone else agreeing with anything i have said.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    As a former writer and artist - I can say first hand it physically hurts, even destroys one's self esteem (from a little bit to a lot) if something you have poured your heart and soul into is hated. So I can understand what it is like to be on the side of the creators of this game.

On the other hand as a player of the Sims who went from just playing a life simulation game because I enjoyed it - to a person whose real life circumstances changed over the last few years to the point where I am almost dependent on the game for replacing things I can no longer do in real life - in other words i live vicariously through my sims a lot lately. To most people that probably sounds a bit insane - but believe me - if you feel that way I realize you would have to live my life to truly understand. But for me the Sims has strangely evolved into something I have come to try and enjoy some of the things I used to enjoy in real life - as well as to fulfill fantasies - like playing witches and fairies to just living life via families. Ironically even though I was able to satisfy the fantasy side of my enjoyment of the game in Sims 3 - there was a lot about the overall feel of the game that left me feeling empty as far as the non-fantasy side of the Sims 3 went - that i had experienced when I used to play Sims 2. Of course when i played Sims 2 it was just a game to me - a very enjoyable game but a game non-the-less as I was then very busy living real life and did not play my as a substitute for real life. I did play my game when I had time or made time - and played in such a way that was anything but the way i lived my real life. It was more of a game where I played out a life I didn't lead - like playing a homeless mean old sims with his sweet little daughter to see if I couldn't make the childs life better. Or playing a family with a single parent with 7 toddlers and no help and no money. You know I am sure some of challenge games that were out there including all the many legacies. I discovered I loved the family style play and the struggle.

When Sims 3 came out it did not show thru the numerous videos how lacking the game was in family play - and of course i was a bit deaf to the fact the Guru's or Maxoids or what ever you called them kept pushing about the Sims 3 being about the world in which the Sims lived. I said to myself - okay so the world will be my sims families able to go more places and do more things. This is what i thought. This is what i saw in the videos - but it took buying the game and playing the game to find out that should not have been called the Sims but the Sims world. Almost all the kind of play I had learned to love and cherish was tossed right out of the door. Half of me wanted to just throw my hands in the air and stop playing the game - period - but another part of me felt a big empty space where I had no sims as I had had Securom issues with Sims 2 where I could not play that game anymore so I had given it away. It was sims 3 or nothing. I was addicted to the sims, no denying that - so I found ways around playing the way I really wanted to play the game and found I could still enjoy the game to a degree - just not to the depth I enjoyed Sims 2. Then half way through the production of sims 3 - real life threw me a major curve ball. i was diagnosed with Leukemia. I won't get into all of that - but lets just say the Sims sort of became my life - especially after treatment of my illness kept turning badly for me and every side affect there is a possibility to have it seemed I got - but on a good note my illness went into remission. The side affects i still contend with and I am housebound - so when people tell me to get a life - well I have one. It's called the Sims.

That said when Sims 4 was announced and they said the Sims 4 would be a return to the Sims themselves and what made us love the Sims 2 Sims - well i was just overjoyed. Even though I found enough about Sims 3 to get lost in the game - my dream of a more modern version of Sims 2 sounded like it was about to be fulfilled. Nowadays I tend to dream small compared to most real people - so you need to understand that to understand why I can sometimes be defensive of the Sims. Sometimes I am called rude and condescending in my defense of the game - when I never intend to be or sound as either. I know i always feel bad when someone tells me that, as I would never intentionally be mean to anyone - but unfortunately it seems to be the way i am received.

But anyway the vision I saw in my head of the Sims 4 was Sims 2 brought up to date through technology and realism. So there was no question that I would pre-order this game. I did and that is why i bought the Sims 4 and also why i sort of objected to people wanting the game to include things from Sims 3. Granted though Sims 4 is not really a return to the Sims many of us knew and loved in Sims 2 just by them omitting toddlers. In my book they should have omitted the YA age and added the toddlers as the YA stage only became a part of Sims 2 solely for University. So I found it really odd everything is all about the YA sims and toddlers totally missing. i did not care there were no pools or any of the other missing content in game but the fact there were no toddlers because with that single omission the game was not as they described of getting back to the basics of the Sims 2 sims.

I have played the game and there is a lot about it that is fun - it has great potential - but not without the stages of life that actually made Sims 2 the most popular of the Sims games. But as always i can only write my own viewpoint on the issue and I can understand not everyone else agreeing with anything i have said.

kl
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • robotpanda34robotpanda34 Posts: 3,387 Member
    edited November 2014
    I never preorder games; I always watch reviews first. The supernatural/sci-fi side of The Sims doesn't interest me at all, I only purchased Supernatural for a couple of items.
    I don't buy games on release date or pre-order them (only the except of nintendo games)...The only reason I bought the supernatural/ITF was for the items >.>
    Post edited by robotpanda34 on
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

I know exactly what you are talking about. Having spent the better part of my adult life as a self employed artist/craftswoman I really hate seeing posts that attack the devs themselves. I'm guessing that they are almost as much at the mercy of EA as we are. When I say mercy....I mean that it's out of their hands....and ours....as to how the game finally ends up. They can ask for things but time, budget and production are going to be the final decision maker.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • zOmBiEcLoWnzOmBiEcLoWn Posts: 48 Member
    I think they did a fantastic job with the Sims themselves. They should have just called this one "The Sims", and dropped the "4". This series is a hobby enjoyed by millions of gamers. I know they will do what they can to introduce new gameplay (and bring back some old stuff in the process).
  • Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    Come to think of it , you know what's the saddest part in this "lover" "hater" fight ?<br />
    <br />

Well the lovers are rubbing it in the whole time that they love the game instead of saying "Yeah EA definitely needs to work on this and this"
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited November 2014
    I know what you mean but I think their hearts have been hurt by the management already. I am a developer myself and I can assure you there's nothing more hurting a developer's heart than a boss who cares for fast ROI only. As a developer I know how crucial it is to write clean and robust code but alas that takes it's time. The benefit on the other hand is better maintainability and expandability in the future, which saves time at the end. However if there's a boss breathing in your neck all the time while pointing at the calendar, being a developer is one of the most frustrating jobs. Customers (in this case fans) who start complaining are just a natural aftereffect. :frowning:
    So yeah I totally agree on what @PHOEBESMOM601 says.

This space is for rent.
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    This is me when I enter threads like this one..
    sgfhdfjhsdfg-Copy.gif
  • CurolaCurola Posts: 86 Member
    Yeah, attacking the devs is mean. I'm sure they had very great ideas for the game and I don't think their work is bad. But in such big companies like EA the devs are one of the last people that have a word over the game. The importance of their opinion seems to be only a bit more than the one of the secretary and the cleaning woman. If the managers of EA say "The game has to be a online game" - it will be developped as a online game. When the managers later say "Sim City players complaint about the online part - make it offline again" - then they have to make it offline again, whether it makes sense or not. And if the managers say "Cut this and this out, we want to sell it for extra money/the gamers will buy it anyway" - they have to cut it out, even if it breaks their heart. And the managers don't really care about the game, I'm sure they even don't play it. They care about profit-making. But the devs have a contract with EA, they can't just refuse the managers' will...
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    Curola wrote: »
    Yeah, attacking the devs is mean. I'm sure they had very great ideas for the game and I don't think their work is bad. But in such big companies like EA the devs are one of the last people that have a word over the game. The importance of their opinion seems to be only a bit more than the one of the secretary and the cleaning woman. If the managers of EA say "The game has to be a online game" - it will be developped as a online game. When the managers later say "Sim City players complaint about the online part - make it offline again" - then they have to make it offline again, whether it makes sense or not. And if the managers say "Cut this and this out, we want to sell it for extra money/the gamers will buy it anyway" - they have to cut it out, even if it breaks their heart. And the managers don't really care about the game, I'm sure they even don't play it. They care about profit-making. But the devs have a contract with EA, they can't just refuse the managers' will...
    ^That! :)

This space is for rent.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Sc3nix - but I am one of the "lovers" of the Sims games - and I also express the one thing I find it really hard to get past. I know i am not alone as one who loves the game that has expressed this one thing if not some who have mentioned other things as well. It just seems hard for some people to see what else we say once one of us has expressed anything they do like about the game. So I think on both sides some things are lost in transition if anyone starts their post off with I love or like this game - or I hate or can't stand this game. That seems to be the only thing anyone sees.

To be honest I do think once someone has played this game - just like it was for Sims 3 for me - there is fun things to be had and enjoyment in the game - but even as someone who totally loves the Sims as a concept and who has laughed out loud and found things to really like in Sims 4 - the thing missing just seems to have taken on a life of its own - and actually overshadows any real enjoyment one gets - so it is becoming increasingly harder to find the degree of enjoyment on a steady basis that you feel the game should have.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Sc3niX wrote: »
    <br />

Well the lovers are rubbing it in the whole time that they love the game instead of saying "Yeah EA definitely needs to work on this and this"

I don't think that's totally true. Yes, I love the game, but I have also said there are things I would like to see different. I don't like the goal driven (linear) aspect of the game and I have repeatedly said I would like the locked items unlocked. But so far, it hasn't stopped me from playing the way I like. I just take my sweet old time and do what I want. Who cares if I don't get a promotion this week? Not me.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited November 2014
    <br />

I enjoy the Sims 4 -- but it doesn't mean that it doesn't need improvement, from key items like toddlers and a basic story progression (to help the neighborhood grow, but with a way to keep certain households from getting involved in extramarital activities) to little things like an upright piano (since not every house can squeeze in a grand and who wants to drag their kid to the nightclub for piano practice?) or dishwashers. And maybe a semi-open world where you can go to a lot within your neighborhood without loading screens (so my Sim kid can run over to visit the little girl next door and swim in her pool) but to go to another neighborhood or town you'd need loading screens.

I think the devs are trying, as they continue to learn what they can or can't do within the limitations of the game engine. We're getting bug fixes a lot more frequently than we did with Sims 3, for one -- back then we pretty much only got patches right before an EP (and occasionally an SP), and it would mainly patch in new features while breaking existing features.

Right now I deal with the lacks in my own way, and don't let those missing features detract from my enjoyment of the game...while continuing to hope that those things will return and make my enjoyment even greater.
    fullspiral wrote: »
    <br />

I don't think that's totally true. Yes, I love the game, but I have also said there are things I would like to see different. I don't like the goal driven (linear) aspect of the game and I have repeatedly said I would like the locked items unlocked. But so far, it hasn't stopped me from playing the way I like. I just take my sweet old time and do what I want. Who cares if I don't get a promotion this week? Not me.

One change I would love to see is with the career tasks -- make them optional (except for the daily task like writing books or preparing food) but if you do them you get a bigger raise and/or bonus. That would give players a choice -- do they want to move up the ranks easier or do they want more money? If you're sending your 3rd or 4th Sim through a particular career in order to get items unlocked or to fulfill an aspiration, you might want to just get through it as quickly as possible. (I do wish that there was a way to have items unlocked game-wide if you complete a career with a Sim in that particular game save; I've had to put 3 Sims into Culinary just to get those nice counters unlocked for them -- wish they had matching overhead cabinets though.)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • GlamourSimmerGlamourSimmer Posts: 238 Member
    I have the sims 4...and i regret even buying it to be honest with you. A complete waste of money...
    Sim is life !
    Gaming Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjdolzKVXRHZhBiMKXTdofw ( Don't be afraid to go subscribe )
  • munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    I have the sims 4...and i regret even buying it to be honest with you. A complete waste of money...

giphy.gif?w=320
  • EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    <br />

I like the Sims 4 .
    Don't prevent me from saying some stuff needs some working on.