Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimCity (flop), Sims 4 (flop). What's it going to take EA?

18910111214...Next

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    munchie885 wrote: »
    I know I'm the minority but I really like the changes. Especially the 'rpg' elements.

I wouldn't mind them much or at all if they were optional and not really needed to progress. I never really liked the sims for linear play.

I think you need them for aspirations, but I'd like to see them optional for career progress -- maybe make it where if you complete them you get a bigger bonus or raise. That way you can decide what's more important, money or speed. By the time you've got your second or third Sim going through a career you might decide you'd rather get them through it fast to unlock the career items, or if you've got a Sim going for one of the fortune aspirations you might decide the extra money is worth taking the time to do all the extra stuff.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    Oh the thread is here now? RIP thread, you were nice while you lasted.
  • Options
    SpidersWebSpidersWeb Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited November 2014
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    I know I'm the minority but I really like the changes. Especially the 'rpg' elements.

I wouldn't mind them much or at all if they were optional and not really needed to progress. I never really liked the sims for linear play.
    I think career goals are nice, it makes the game feel a little more realistic to me. However I do agree they can be very linear. I know that the devs have expressed interest in making them less linear, so hopefully they can open the choices up and find a solution to please everyone.

I agree - I fine it quite satisfying but the linear nature gets repetitive. Rather than being optional, my preference (I know it's just my preference) is that they (and the jobs for that matter) were more dynamic. So each time you did a career, the goals varied, especially if that variation could be based upon something about your sim's experience and/or traits.
    Performance, Price, Portability - pick two.
  • Options
    lyralyra Posts: 420 Member
    Agreed. I think most of us are just spoiled from TS3s way of doing things. At least they are looking into it so heres hoping to an optional change to be implimented soon. Until then I'll cross my fingers and hope the secret project is an Urbz2.

I really, really enjoyed the urbz for gameboy, I would love another version. Does anyone know if you can still play it on a recent console?
  • Options
    robotpanda34robotpanda34 Posts: 3,387 Member
    Off topic - I hate the "User Banned Please Carry On" image. It's supposed to look like the "Keep Calm and X" meme, is it? It's a very tired meme by now. Even Milhouse is a better meme.
    ikr
  • Options
    robotpanda34robotpanda34 Posts: 3,387 Member
    Oh this got moved to the graveyard...
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    well, at least the thread didn't get deleted. :)
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    We've been through this before... I don't get the whole "I don't want to actually do anything to earn a promotion" thing that Sims 3 had.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    We've been through this before... I don't get the whole "I don't want to actually do anything to earn a promotion" thing that Sims 3 had.

I don't think anyone is saying that. What most don't like is how linear the goals are. There is no way to diversify Sims. Most people don't play avatar style with only one sim, we play families, sometimes multiple families. When you have that many Sims, they are bound to have the same careers. Having to do The same thing over and over is a grind and majorly boring.

In previous games, we had to achieve goals, but it was up to us on how we accomplish them. So I could essentially have a husband and a wife in the same career, but they earn their promotions differently. One could go to a community lot and skill or skill while at work. The other could read books or stay home and use a skill object. In TS3, they could snooze the boss, too.

Cheaters will always cheat and there have always been ways to do that. However, there have also always been choices, too. Now the devs have designed the game to only play it their way. Basically, they took all the sand out of the box.
  • Options
    JenzupJenzup Posts: 1,620 Member

I think career goals are nice, it makes the game feel a little more realistic to me. However I do agree they can be very linear. I know that the devs have expressed interest in making them less linear, so hopefully they can open the choices up and find a solution to please everyone.

Agreed. I think most of us are just spoiled from TS3s way of doing things. At least they are looking into it so heres hoping to an optional change to be implimented soon. Until then I'll cross my fingers and hope the secret project is an Urbz2.

@munchie- And here I thought I was the only one who loved Urbz. A new Urbz game would be awesome also loved Bustin Out. I loved how in Urbz you could learn new socials from the new sims you met (actually now that I think about it, it was certain ones) in that game. Also thought it was kind of neat that there were social groups that had a different style of dress different social interaction styles and hung out in different areas of town. I liked that you had problems to solve for the sims you befriended. I also loved that you could actually work the jobs and careers and depending how well you did on the job you completed your goal, no one would be able to complain of not being challenged in that game. Well and my most favorite thing of all was of course the Black Eyed Peas characters and music. "Let's get started hah let's get started in here!" What did you like about Urbz?

@SelenaGrey- What about having goals do you think makes it feel linear? In 3 I didn't mind my sims having goals and I always felt I didn't have enough options to hold all the goals I wanted my sims to have, I could never manage to keep the simpler ones. I felt that because I was trying to fulfill higher rated goals in order to unlock lifetime reward options I couldn't hold on to to the lower scoring ones that I really wanted my sim to do (usually food, fun, friend or family oriented). I didn't mind the higher scoring goals but I hated keeping them over the lower scoring ones just so I could build up enough points to unlock a reward that would make it easier for my sim to achieve their lifetime goal.

I also didn't like the fact that I couldn't change a sims lifetime goal after I had completed it (unlike in 2 where you could) and it even says "What new goals will such and such sim accomplish next" and I always reply "well nothing cause their stuck with that one." Also didn't like the fact that all goals were lost when you played rotationally (which IS possible in 3 despite what some claim). I'm not paying as close attention to sims (game generated) goals this time around playing 3 and just have basic goals (like romance, starting a family, redecorating house, wardrobe and makeovers) for certain households before I switch over to another household.

I got so wrapped up in goals that I ended playing just one household so long that I neglected other households and didn't get to play important parts of my other households lives. I actually have simmers on these forums to thank for the much more sensible way I play now, cause everybody talked about how they just played the way they wanted and ignored the (game generated) goals and I finally gave it a try and I really like it, I get way more story out of my play than I ever did trying to hurry and reach the game generated goals.
    :o They listened and gave us toddlers! Thanks Devs your work is appreciated.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Jenzup wrote: »
    @SelenaGrey- What about having goals do you think makes it feel linear?

The career goals themselves are linear. Meaning, there's only one way to complete them. For example one you have done the Chef career once, you've done it a million times.

That's why I'd like to see them made optional, but if you do them you get a bigger raise/bonus. If you've got a Sim in one of the Wealth aspirations, you might want to go ahead and do those tasks in order to make more money faster, or if you just want to get through fast in order to unlock certain items (especially if it's your second or third time through a specific career) you just do the daily task and go to work in the proper mood to advance.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)