Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Foreign Languages!

icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
Anyone here choose to study a foreign language? I just think the idea of communicating with someone from a different culture is awesome.

I took a minor in French when I was in college, and now I'm at the start of level B1. I knew some friends who minored in Japanese, and my cousin loved his Japanese class so much that he decided to pursue the minor as well.

My goal is to one day reach almost native-like fluency. I'm a little strict with myself when it comes to grammar, so I hope to eventually iron out tiny mistakes here and there.
Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?

Comments

• AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    edited November 2014
    It's great you want to learn a new language, back when I was still in school, we had to learn French and Arabic, some words and phrases are still stuck to me.

I'm really more interested in learning Japanese and Korean though. Learning online is good, but its limited if I don't have someone to converse with in person. I plan on taking up a short course next summer. :)

muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • RitchieRitchie Posts: 107 Member
    edited November 2014
    I think it's a lot of fun to learn foreign languages, especially the correlation between languages is a lot of fun I think :) I'm native in English and Dutch and fluent in German (which I had in school for six years) and Swedish (my partner's language). I also know my way around Norwegian and Danish since they are very much related to German, Dutch and especially Swedish :)

I admire your choice to learn French. The structure of romance languages is very unforgiven to me and I eventually just decided to give up :P How are you trying to learn French? :)
    Post edited by Ritchie on
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Ritchie wrote: »
    I think it's a lot of fun to learn foreign languages, especially the correlation between languages is a lot of fun I think :) I'm native in English and Dutch and fluent in German (which I had in school for six years) and Swedish (my partner's language). I also know my way around Norwegian and Denmark since they are very much related to German, Dutch and especially Swedish :)

I admire your choice to learn French. The structure of romance languages is very unforgiven to me and I eventually just decided to give up :P How are you trying to learn French? :)

I started taking classes at the local Alliance Française after I graduated. I really thrive well in a classroom environment with drills and opportunity to practice. I'm hoping to find a pen pal one day once my skills are enough for extended conversation.

I have to tell you, it was hard adjusting to gendered nouns and adjectives at first, but you get used to it after a while. The subjunctive is a bit tricky as well.

@AnnePlays That's great. I always encourage other people to try learning languages. Also, I have another cousin who's a huge Korea fan. She's looking for Korean classes that fit her budget and schedule because she's currently an office drone.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited November 2014
    I speak English and French. I have learned German, Russian, and Italian. Because of French and Italian, I can generally understand other romance languages to the point that I get the general idea (maybe not always Romanian, though.) For a very short period of time I tried to learn Arabic, Japanese, and Korean, but I did not stick with any of them, so the most I know is a random collection of words.

Edit: It's also a lot of fun to see what words in each language are cognates, and what words are faux amis.
  • kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    My mother tongue is Finnish. I started learning English at school, when I was twelve, and I think I'm pretty fluent in it. I like speaking English, and I read a lot of books and magazines in English. I also think my pronunciation is pretty good, but I know I definitely have a foreign accent. I love the British accent, but I think mine is closer to American (with a foreign hint). British accent just seems so difficult :)

Besides English I've learned Swedish, German, French and Russian. Unfortunately I can't really communicate in any of those languages. I think I understand Swedish pretty well, but if I had to form a sentence and say or write something, it would be close to impossible. The same with German, but I've studied it a bit less than Swedish, so I think my German vocabulary is quite small.

French and Russian are the weakest for me. I never studied them much, and I think French pronunciation is just way too hard. On the other hand I love Russian pronunciation, but unfortunately I've forgotten pretty much everything except the letters :)

Sometimes I think I should try to freshen up my skills, at least in Swedish and German. I was able to pass my courses in those languages just fine, so I think I have some foundation for them somewhere in my brain... Anyway, you can get along in English in most countries. Or then just by pointing :D
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    In high school I did three years of Japanese. I don't really remember any of it sadly. I do have a stack of flash cards and notes somewhere though.

I had to learn American sign language, because of my mom. Until she was able to get super hearing aids, it was the only way I could talk to her other than her reading my lips.

In middle school I was in Honors English for two years, we learned basic latin roots. And because of that I as able to teach myself basic French and Spanish and some Italian.

I did take a semester of French my freshman year of college, but it was what I had already taught my self. The only thing that was kinda new and cemented was sentence structure. So right now I'm using Duolingo to help finish learning French.

I wouldn't mind relearning Japanese, it's a beautiful language. I'd also want to learn actual Latin, the "dead" language. Oh and Gaelic since it's my heritage.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • HanskuHansku Posts: 1,735 Member
    edited November 2014
    My first language is also finnish, I started english when I was ten, I can easily understand it but I'm not that good at writing. Pronouncing is pretty difficult for me, mainly because I can't really pronounce "s" right.
    Currently trying to learn better swedish 'cause I still have it as my school subject. I used to have german but the last school I was in they didn't have it as an option, so I couldn't continue studying it.
    I can somehow read japanese but I can't translate the text, I tried chinese first but that was too much for me. I'm trying to start learning russian, still stuck at the letters.
    AlA2dUe.gif
    finnish | ♀ | ♓ | intp
  • cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    I speak google translator
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I speak French fluently. I've been learning it since I was three years old.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I can read French fluently and watch movies without translation, but my bilingual education as a kid is wearing off when it comes to speaking and writing -- you have to use those or you lose them, at least for me. I studied some Russian and Latin too but wouldn't even try to use those!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :D

I have always wanted to learn every language- but I haven't had the time or resources (money).

I hope to sign up for Spanish and French, which are sometimes available here. There's no one to practice with but maybe someday, right? :mrgreen:
  • natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    If you live in America, Spanish is a goo one. I personally know English, Punjabi and Hindi (not fluently though). My mom can speak 7 languages and my grandma (her mom) can speak 8 including Chinese.
    edited November 2014
    Wow, it's amazing how everyone here is multilingual. English isn't the language we use in everyday life here, but mandatory English classes in school plus constant exposure to American cartoons and movies made me as fluent as I am in my native language.

When I was a kid, people even thought I was American because the accent rubbed off on me due to watching too much Cartoon Network. Nowadays I sound like everyone else here, though. :)

• pinkknight1006pinkknight1006 Posts: 792 Member
    edited November 2014
    i took spanish starting in elementary school, and then again all 4 years of high school and 3 seminsters of it in coll, bute. I kind of lost some of it along they way, but I can pick up a few words here and there.
    p.gifi.gifn.gifk.gifk.gifn.gifi.gifg.gifh.gift.gif
  • Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    I speak Latin ,ghetto and 1337
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    I learned English, then Spanish when I was 3, and took french for three years. I'm re-taking french cause I forgot most of it, but later on I either want to learn an asian language, or Italian.
  • JuanaJuana Posts: 840 Member
    I speak Latin ,ghetto and 1337
    Ghetto is my primary language.

English is my second language (after ghetto)
    I know some Spanish but not enough to satisfy anyone, apparently, lol.
    My grandfather is from the South of France so I think it'd be cool to learn French. (Who am I kidding, I just wanna be able to communicate with the French boys)
    I'd love to learn Italian as well.
    If I ever take up another language, I might go with Italian. But my priority is to be fluent in French first.

The Italian thing may have been influenced by a little bit of Assassin's Creed II. :P