Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    JaciJade wrote: »
    It's like EA is in high school clique mode. "I wanna do what all the popular, successful games are doing!. Let's go RPG!" Just. No.

That's exactly it GrayLady. Don't get me wrong I love a good RPG, currently playing Dragon Age Inquisition ...however I don't want that in my Sims games. Having a few goals to work on as in prior versions was ok but you can't accomplish anything career wise unless you meet these new goals in Sims 4...Anyway back on topic. I want my toddlers, family tree, bigger maps, and my sandbox back.

This is why I played Sims game from the start, I don't play RPG, MMOs or anything that means I have to end with a goal or interact with other people. This was my game, made my way, and played the way I wanted. EA trying to change the formula is like making "fetch" happen. Simmers like me don't like "fetch" and prayed they would honor that. That is why I said from the beginning, this game wasn't made with me in mind. I am thrown to the side. LOL

Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • SpidersWebSpidersWeb Posts: 1,027 Member
    shellbeme wrote: »
    Am I the only who has noticed that when they tend to be particularly silent on a subject it turns out it's one they are working on? My guess is there will eventually be huge improvements to family play and that toddlers will indeed be added.
    That is a change of policy however. With Sims 3 we knew months in advance what would come and actually that was fun.
    I really don't understand why they're being so secretive. Not ontly now, but also before the game was released.

Some possible reasons -

a) if something goes wrong, the fan-base doesn't go "oh but you promised!"
    b) people will use their imagination and falsely build up expectations
    c) something I don't get but I've seen a Guru post about it - apparently some weird thing about taxes and potential future income

But I believe it's an EA thing, rather than a Maxis thing.
    Performance, Price, Portability - pick two.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    I'm a family player-I've always loved creating families in sims, starting a family from scratch and watching as my family progress over multiple generations. I can play one family for years-and I loved seeing their progress from the original sim down to my current sim with a family tree. I love how different each family can be from another previous family-they all have different traits and it's so funny to watch the family dynamic in each family shift. I used to look at my family tree with pride-I would look back at all their photos with fond memories of the time I shared with those sims.

I love toddlers-they have much more personality than babies and are the start of a beautiful relationship with their family-their siblings and parents are challenged by them but they are very rewarding. They have so much potential for fun and mischief!

Babies in the sims 4 leave me cold-I really feel that making them be stuck to the bassinet is such a loss-with multitasking being the amazing new tool in the sims it seems ridiculous that they can't utilise that for new parents-the time when sims need the most help!

At first I was hopeful they would finish this game and add the omissions from family play. But given the lack of announcements and the patches being anything other than family play related I worry.

I felt like we really need to make it glaringly obvious to EA that family players exist given the lack of acknowledgement for our play style being thrown out-and that the omissions from sims4 can be game breaking for many of us.

I shouldn't have to ask this but please be polite and respectful in this thread-I'm not here looking to threaten anyone else's play-I'm just trying to give a voice to those of us who feel like we are being ignored by EA and want sims 4 to be universally loved!

Feel free to show us what you love about family play in previous sims games, a little story, a screenshot of a family you've loved to play with etc :-)

I'm not a solitary generational player, if that makes sense. I like to colonize a neighbourhood and play rotationally. I've done this since S1. Since S2, I have several generations and I love to look at the family tree from time to time just to see the generations and how the families have spread out and joined with one another. It's a beautiful thing to see.

Add me to your list of people who really want family trees and toddlers.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    I'd just like to add my voice here and say a big I AGREE!
    I am a family player. I miss toddlers every time I load up the game - which is becoming frequently less often, because I know they're not there!
    I'm also hoping for the announcement of the first EP soon, but I'm assuming that it won't be until after the careers update in December - maybe not even until next year. I just hope that we won't have to wait too long until the release.
    Gurus, please take notice of this thread, and of us simmers who really feel like we got the short end of the stick. Toddlers ASAP, please!
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    They better make Toddlers worth the wait. I don't want S3 toddlers, I want "Emotional" toddlers with "BIG Personalities".
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Schweighsr wrote: »
    We have to remember that it takes 18 to 24 months to create an EP. Just because they are released every six months does not mean that is how long it takes to make them. So EA planned the first EP long before the fans even knew everything that would be left out of TS4. When they planned the first EP they did not know that fans would be so upset that the toddler stage was dropped, so it is possible (maybe even likely) that the first EP has nothing to do with family play. Rumors are that it is a business-oriented EP (but who knows if those rumors are true?)

There is the possibility that they did intend to have all age groups in the game, as they originally stated, and Toddlers couldn't be completed in time for the release so they were pushed off into the first EP. I don't think that it is *likely*, but it is *possible* (for one thing adding a new age state messes with core game coding, so I *personally* don't think that EA would write code just to rewrite it a few months later). Frankly, I believe Grant meant it when he said "things change" and that one of those changes was the elimination of the toddler stage.

I am a pessimist - I think that we won't see toddlers again until TS5 - if they even make a TS5. But I would love EA to prove me wrong.

The one thing that gives me hope is that there were reports that when modders started taking apart the code in order to start creating mods and CC, they found some coding framework for toddlers. (I remember the posts were on the old forums, not sure where they are here.) So it's very possible that like with pools and ghosts, they simply ran out of time to implement them properly. So it's possible the base game coding is already in there, just needing some expansion and tweaking to have it go live. Which would mean rather than an EP, they could be patched in the way ghosts were patched in (yet ghosts still have their glitches -- I had a grave I had to delete when I went back into game and it was a nameless gravestone (it was the mom of the two kids living with my baby daddy Sim, but I'd already sent her spirit to the netherworld after giving them one more night with her). I was moving the family anyway to a larger house and wouldn't have wanted the grave there for the new residents; would probably lower the real estate value. :|

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Thank you everyone for your support-and a big thank you to those of you who aren't particularly family players in this sense but lend your support to us-you really do restore my faith in the sims community!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2014
    SpidersWeb wrote: »
    Am I the only who has noticed that when they tend to be particularly silent on a subject it turns out it's one they are working on? My guess is there will eventually be huge improvements to family play and that toddlers will indeed be added.
    That is a change of policy however. With Sims 3 we knew months in advance what would come and actually that was fun.
    I really don't understand why they're being so secretive. Not ontly now, but also before the game was released.

Some possible reasons -

c) something I don't get but I've seen a Guru post about it - apparently some weird thing about taxes and potential future income

a) that never happened with Sims 3 (don't know what it was like with Sims 2?); they announced an EP and after a while that EP was released
    b) people are using their imagination now and building up expectations anyway
    c) that one I don't quite get... something that changed after ITF was released?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    It's like EA is in high school clique mode. "I wanna do what all the popular, successful games are doing!. Let's go RPG!" Just. No.

I think that it is a lack of leadership and understanding on management's part. EA is definitely following trends - first with the Store and then with the online option - but I believe it is because the principals don't understand their product. They act as if they are producing clothes or furniture or cars when they should realize that they are producing something artistic. Instead of looking to how Coke or The Gap keeps on top of trends, they should follow the process of movie/ television/ music companies.

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Deshong04, YES!!!! I feel the same way! I really thought that Sims 3 would give us the best of Sims and Sims 2 and just improve upon them. I enjoy Sims 3 now, but do I love it? no, not in the same way I love Sims 1 and 2. I love the open world though. LOL I honestly believed that Sims 4 would have finally combined all the awesomeness from the first three and blow us out the water. Like you said, it's 2014. Why are we being pushed back to game play from 2004? I don't play many games but the few that I do are leaps and bounds above Sims 4 in game play wise. I mean, if a small start up company can put out a open world like "DayZ" or "The Forrest", why can't EA? And those games cost under twenty four dollars. I feel the no open world and no weather in the base game was a cop out. It's 2014, why should we have to pay for the privilege to have our sims drive? I feel slapped in the face.

Agreed
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    SpidersWeb wrote: »

Some possible reasons -

a) that never happened with Sims 3 (don't know what it was like with Sims 2?); they announced an EP and after a while that EP was released
    b) people are using their imagination now and building up expectations anyway
    c) that one I don't quite get... something that changed after ITF was released?

For a and b - that's general gamer stuff - and they had it pretty hard with SimCity in 2013 - might've been what scared them under the bed.
    c) yeah I've got no idea about that one :/ it's just the only time I've seen a staff member comment on it.
  • Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    Yes, I tried to explain on another thread about taxes and future potential income and people thought I was nuts (putting it nicely.) But tax laws in the US have changed drastically in the last few years. I also read on another site that the Guru also hinted strongly that this was now the case for all the silence regarding any major future product releases.
    I miss all the teases we used to get. :(
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    Is it possible they thought they could appeal to a newer less demanding type of player with all the weirder stories and such? Seems like a really stupid move if you ask me. It almost feels like they just want to throw the game away at this point, change directions. And if that's what they were doing they should have named it something else.

I understand wanting to do something different but the Sims is probably one of the most successful games to this date. It has a loyal fan base who aren't shy about spending money on more Sims and content. Why mess with success? Hopefully they hear us and get back on track. If not I don't know how long this game can last. Sims is my favorite game of all time and it makes me sad to even think of it dying.
    Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    Is it possible they thought they could appeal to a newer less demanding type of player with all the weirder stories and such? Seems like a really stupid move if you ask me. It almost feels like they just want to throw the game away at this point, change directions. And if that's what they were doing they should have named it something else.

I understand wanting to do something different but the Sims is probably one of the most successful games to this date. It has a loyal fan base who aren't shy about spending money on more Sims and content. Why mess with success? Hopefully they hear us and get back on track. If not I don't know how long this game can last. Sims is my favorite game of all time and it makes me sad to even think of it dying.

Oh absolutely. It's obvious to me that they were going for a younger demographic. They should have named this "The Sims Freeplay for PC" imo.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    If not I don't know how long this game can last. Sims is my favorite game of all time and it makes me sad to even think of it dying.

I felt this way long time ago, it actually frightened me when I thought about the end coming, but now I care even less if it happens. No, it don't put a smile on my face but I found it to be the cost of the misfortune of not listening and acting like the "true fans" would just take whatever they dish out with a wink and a smile. Again, that's their fault because the forums told them they are not going through another series hoping for the best again. *shrugs*

Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    While I do understand the frustration with the lack of toddlers, the game has only been out for 10 weeks. Between the two patches for pools and ghosts .... it is a lot to ask for in such a short amount of time.
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Gruffman wrote: »
    While I do understand the frustration with the lack of toddlers, the game has only been out for 10 weeks. Between the two patches for pools and ghosts .... it is a lot to ask for in such a short amount of time.

It is really a lot to ask for stuff that should've been in a Sims game priced at $60-70, released in the year 2014?

His point was they can't just magic spawn Toddlers in to the game.
    Being disappointed they weren't there to begin with is a different subject - and is one of many things where corners were cut (kind of frustrating).
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    About to croak for news of the first EP. I do think toddlers will come in, but not sure when. Personally, I hope that we get Generation type, Seasons, University, Apartment Life, ect. first so that the game is somewhat real like. I hope that Pets & Farm Animals are in different EPs and Mystical Pets like Unicorns, dragons, big foot, Frankensim, Yeti, Pegasus are either coming with EPs or get their own EP separate from Supernaturals, the horse man, mermaids, ect. If they ever do a SuperHeroes pack, then that would be neat if sims could fly, have powers, ect. Larger lots are a must.

I do miss toddlers and bassinet bound babies turning straight to kids do take away from the baby/family aspect, which is what I play the most. I have heard that they are considering making changes to the bassinet baby, so I really hope it happens and I hope the baby has outfits. Sleepers, gowns, hats with strings, hats without, onesie, frilly dress for girls, baby blue outfit for boys, diapers only, designer diapers, thin blanket, lace blanket, shawl blanket, characters blanket, and the return of the baby mat. Rattles that strap on the wrist and foot rattles. Playpens, bouncy seats, walkers, all kinds of toys for them and toddlers (please give a decent fat baby doll; devs could do it like the bears from S3 and make black, white, foreign types). Toddler pool and tricycle for toddlers. Baby mirrors to look in and make faces at themselves.

Also, I've heard that teens were made so tall just in case they decided to introduce Pre-teen/adolescents. Teens get part time jobs, boyfriends, do homework, learn to drive ect. and kids play, make friends, do homework and play some more. So, adolescence could be a time to up skills, up relationships, and play board games, other games, ride bikes, learn sports, ect.

I'm hoping for everything S3 generations, toddlers, adolescents, and all the outfits and toys that will make them come alive. I've never done a generation thing, but if they fix it up, I may try one. If not, I may have to do it in S3. Really looking forward to seeing what they do.
  • SmoochSmooch Posts: 387 Member
    It is amazing what a simple family tree means to a Sims player. Even the ability to have a sim paint a portrait means a lot to Legacy/generation play styles. It builds upon our stories and our connections to our sims. Yes, I am with so many of you who want those annoying toddlers, which is surprising because I hated them so much in Sims 2 and 3. Without them my families seem a bit...bleh.

Skills and work are not incredibly important with the way I play. They are necessary, to a degree, but not the utmost necessity. Therefore, the family aspect becomes even more superior when I judge whether or not I want to put time and effort into a new Sims game. I caved at the last minute and picked up Sims4, and I am enjoying it, but wow - at least give me a family tree!?
    CxevBFV.gif
  • lyralyra Posts: 420 Member
    blewis823 wrote: »
    That's another case of EA trying to force the game into another form, be it RPG, MMO, or whatever the cool thing to do. I remember SimGuru Graham telling us at MTS this game was created for those that don't visit the forums and find the past iterations too hard. Either the hard core simmers would have to jump on board or be passed by. Well, lots of the hardcore simmers decided to let it past by, they don't want to jump on board with a game that doesn't have true fans simming in mind. Now EA wants to send out surveys, open up threads for ideas. Why now? I know you all didn't want us to give any suggestions before, but asking now for ideas looks very suspicious. Didn't it all work out the way you wanted? Now you want to cater to the hardcore simmer? Again I SMH.

Could you link to Graham's post? Curious to see.
  • JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    blewis823 wrote: »
    That's another case of EA trying to force the game into another form, be it RPG, MMO, or whatever the cool thing to do. I remember SimGuru Graham telling us at MTS this game was created for those that don't visit the forums and find the past iterations too hard. Either the hard core simmers would have to jump on board or be passed by. Well, lots of the hardcore simmers decided to let it past by, they don't want to jump on board with a game that doesn't have true fans simming in mind. Now EA wants to send out surveys, open up threads for ideas. Why now? I know you all didn't want us to give any suggestions before, but asking now for ideas looks very suspicious. Didn't it all work out the way you wanted? Now you want to cater to the hardcore simmer? Again I SMH.

The part about him saying the game was too hard for some players really boggles my mind considering Sims was essentially a sandbox game..ie..play it any way you want. If anything Sims 4 is harder when it comes to careers, goals, and even aspiration points now.

Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • TrishhTrishh Posts: 5 New Member
    To be honest in the beginning I wasn't all that mad about not having toddlers. It was cool to go from baby to child but the longer I played the more bored I got. I hate the new aspirations because it's almost impossible to complete them in a lifespan on any age. The skill building as a child is very linear, but they're a must if you want your child to succeed in school/fill aspirations. As a teen there's not much to do either. Their part-time jobs are just as hard and that's frustrating so what do you expect a toddler to do? There's barely enough story progression to keep up with the life stages so no life long friends/lovers from child to young adult. I've had to create families just to have my teens fall in love with and eventually marry. And may I say I've had to create them with the same last name because THAT doesn't change when you get married.
    Also I shouldn't have to download a mod to do the things that should be done automatically, like putting books into a bookshelf and not just putting it on a different floor because that just seems like the logical thing for the AI. If they don't fix these simple things don't expect anything new or different and in good quality. No I don't want to have to wait forever for more expansions but I also don't want to shell out more money on less than good quality add-ons.
    Sorry if I got off topic but I've been holding this in since day 1 lol
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top