Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Mean, Lonely's Just a Word, Right? (a Room Challenge)

Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
They said it was a sociology experiment. They said that if you could survive living in total isolation for long enough without wigging out, you'd end up richer than your wildest dreams. I can dream pretty wild, let me tell you.

You have to apply, and they don't pick just anyone. They don't tell you the criteria, either, so there's no way to prepare. Anybody can apply ... and anybody can hope. That's how they sucker you in. As soon as you graduate from Secondary Ed you're eligible.

It's about all a guy like me will ever be eligible for. I was born into the Third Tier, see. It's alright for those First Tier elites in their mansions behind the radiation shields, with their good teeth and their shiny hair and their soft skin, and their servants, and all the food and clothes and medicine they could ever need. Plus all the luxuries they could ever want. All the stuff even ordinary people took for granted in the old days, before the nuclear "accident" and the collapse of the old infrastructure.

Even Second Tiers can work their way up to a pretty comfortable life, if they live long enough to scrape up the dough. The lucky ones go to work for the Richie Riches, cleaning their mansions, cooking their gourmet meals, serving at their fancy parties, breathing their clean air. Second Tiers get to go on to Tertiary Ed where they can learn a trade skill, although of course there's a cap on how much you're allowed to earn.

2s14x6o.jpg

For a guy like me, though, where you're born is where you stay. The best I can look forward to is working for pennies a day on one of the government's reclamation projects, and a crummy pension when I've su.cked up enough radiation poisoning that I can't work any more. Then old age in a cra.cker box with about ten other guys and a few million rats while I wait to die.

There is one thing. If you can get money, and I mean a lot of it, you can buy your way out of the squalor.

Is it any wonder that just about everybody applies for one of the sadistic government experiments?
Post edited by Sue_D_Nim on

Comments

• Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited November 2014
    I got picked for one of the Isolation experiment slots. I got the letter yesterday. "Dear Mr. Theo Golden ..." with a government seal on it and everything.

This is my new home. It's a tiny, ugly box. They didn't even make it look good. I guess they want it to be as unpleasant and depressing as possible. There's no door except to a small fenced area, and there are no windows. Not that there'd be much to see out here; just the remnants of some ancient tourist attractions. There is space for a tiny garden, but they electrified the fence as soon as I climbed in, so that I can't get back out. I'm surprised they gave me a way to get outside at all. I hear sunlight deprivation can really mess you up.

2po4d37.jpg

I get a bed and a bathroom and a few things I can use to pass the time. At least there's a computer. Maybe this won't be so bad ...

2nj963r.jpg
    edited November 2014
    I checked the computer first thing, natch. I had an email account with a message waiting from the Ministry of Science, the guys who monitor these experiments, with my contract. I am not to leave the area (as if I could). Personal, face to face contact with any human is forbidden. Yadda, yadda, yadda. But you know what the kicker is? All this money I'm supposed to be rewarded? I have to earn it myself. That's right. I don't just have to stay in this box going stir crazy and waiting for it to be over. I have to figure out how to earn my fortune on my own. Then and only then will I be allowed to leave.

I have no idea how I'm going to do this.

I've spied a security camera, and I'll bet there are more. Figures. I bet they broadcast this stuff on the lame Reality channel - for those in the upper Tiers who can afford TVs.

51caiq.jpg

I tried making a grilled cheese sandwich, which turned into grilled cheese flambé. Eyebrows grow back, don't they?

rr8sgh.jpg

As soon as I had the fire put out (thank goodness they gave me a fire extinguisher) I heard the "You've Got Mail" ding from the computer. It was from the Ministry of Science. They have all this stuff covered by insurance, and they wired some money into a special account they set up for me. The insurance money was not enough to replace the ruined refrigerator and stove, so they let me choose. I chose the refrigerator. At least they keep it stocked.

Looks like I'll be eating a lot of yogurt and cereal from now on.

2ni4chi.jpg
  • sunnydays44sunnydays44 Posts: 156 Member
    Awesome start to your story! I might have to try this challenge myself.
    edited November 2014
    I'm on the computer a lot. There's not a lot else to do. There's a chat room, but they haven't given me the password. There are games on it, too. I can waste hours playing computer games. So far, not so bad. Did I just hear somebody say "jinx"?

I'm already talking to myself. I talk to my sims too, but then I've always done that. So far they don't answer back, which I guess is a good sign.

icmxiw.jpg

Since I've spent so much time on the computer I've become a decent programmer. Not great, mind you, but I got sent an offer for freelance work in my email. Finally! A way to make a little money.

It may be more of a headache than I bargained for, though. A little mindless ditch digging is almost starting to look good right about now.

sqqws3.jpg

edited November 2014
    There's got to be an easier way to earn money. Heck, I'm not even thinking about millions anymore. All I want right now is enough money to buy a new stove. I could puke from all the cereal and yogurt. Fruit Loops and strawberry yogurt. That's all I ever get. I'm sure the lack of variety is just one of their little ways of wearing me down, making me crack.

There was a new option on my Internet account today. I can order things from a catalog. There's not much in there yet, and of course no new yogurt flavors. They deliver food and supplies once a week, hoisting boxes of stuff over the fence. I ordered some art supplies and some seeds.

Maybe when the flowers grow, I can sell them.

9kwgn6.jpg

'Cuz heaven knows I'm not going to be making a fortune off THIS amazing talent ...

x4rdwp.jpg

I can see people out there, across my fence, but they're too far away for me to talk to or even call out to. I'm getting pretty lonely.

dz9nbs.jpg

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    Wow, I really like this! The narration is great! Maybe he'll crack, and then it will be interesting to see how his voice changes!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • DeeWrayngedDeeWraynged Posts: 102 Member
    You've got me totally hooked! Really great writing, can't wait to see where things go from here ^^
  • KingCobblerKingCobbler Posts: 176 Member
    This is AMAZING. Bookmarked.
    In this week's supplies, they left me a truckload of fruits and vegetables. I can make salad now! Thank goodness, because I think I was about to die of scurvy.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I know you can see me. *tap, tap*

2ah5yc3.jpg

I have written some books and screenplays and I'm getting a little bit of money from them. It's just pocket change to THEM, but I get it every day! This has boosted my confidence amazingly. I might actually try painting again. Who knew I was this creative?

I still really want somebody to talk to, though. I've started talking to the furniture and the plants. None of them have started talking back, but at least I know that the plants are alive. Besides, talking to plants is supposed to make them grow better.

It's not weird that I'm starting to hear things. Or see things. I already knew they were watching me. I'M NOT INSANE, okay?

20zcxgy.jpg
  • Nicarra60Nicarra60 Posts: 2,916 Member
    Nice story Sue!
    My Sim Story blogs -- Hi Mum, It's Sammy || WA with the Grants || Art flows through || Sims Short Stories (Adult content warning)
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I'm watching you........hehehehe

Love it!
  • BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    Trippy! Keep going!
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • SammiSimSammiSim Posts: 6 New Member
    What a great story!
  • OhRenSimsOhRenSims Posts: 933 Member
    edited November 2014
    Love this so much! :) I can't wait to read more!
    FVIRakw.jpg
    The Waite Legacy (Wordpress)
    The Mills Legacy (Coming Soon!, Wordpress)
  • EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    Sue_D_Nim wrote:
    I tried making a grilled cheese sandwich, which turned into grilled cheese flambé. Eyebrows grow back, don't they?
    Fabulous dialogue! I do hope our Hero can make a few friends ... even if they are imaginary. ;) -EQ
    Yeah, baby! Guess who earned enough money to replace that burned up stove? Man, that thing cost more money than me or any of my mates has ever seen all at once. I was so hungry I couldn't make up my mind what to cook, so I made a giant cake that looks like a hamburger. I don't know WHAT I was expecting it to taste like. That thing was bigger than my head! I was eating it for a week.

28aqjqf.jpg

Then I had a problem. I was eating so much good food that I was getting a little pudge. I mean a real bubble butt. There's a punching bag in the online catalog, but I've discovered something. The more money you have, the more tightly you want to hold on to it. I want to MAKE money in here, not SPEND it.

I tried doing calesthenics, but jeez. I spent days doing nothing but exercising to the point of exhaustion and I wasn't seeing any results. All I could think about was how much time I was wasting that I could be spending making money. I gave in and bought the punching bag. It makes it feel a lot more crowded in here, but if it can cut down on my workout time, maybe it'll be worth it.

n6fjt1.jpg

2lk4fm1.jpg

I had to haul it inside and put it together myself, but a couple of guys had to come inside to deliver the stove. They made me shut myself up in the bathroom so I couldn't talk to them.

I had to repair the leaky shower anyway.

2qj90eu.jpg

What with having to fix my own stuff and keep myself fit and teach myself real money making skills, there's one thing I'm getting out of it that I hadn't counted on: a feeling of self reliance that I've never had in my life. Self reliance and ... self respect ... yeah, that's what it is! Those are two feelings that us Third Tier slobs mostly grow up, live, and die without. I mean, look at what I've already accomplished. I actually have skills now. I'm making money. Not much, but it's more than I ever dreamed of. Think I could have done all that back home?

I love the voice that your narrator is developing! And how cool that he's actually feeling good about himself as he's meeting these challenges!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    LOL, love the look on his face (when he was looking at the cake)

Love the story so far, dooooooo go onnnnnn :p
  • CulturesCultures Posts: 53 Member
    Such an awesome concept and narration style! I really love it, and can't wait to see how Theo does with the challenge as it goes on.
  • BruNCC93BruNCC93 Posts: 209 Member
    This is a really cool idea! Let's see how long Theo will be able to handle this.
    [
  • hedgekat1hedgekat1 Posts: 169 Member
    Are you still playing? Love to see more of the story. It's really great.
    I love this story!

• CharlieKatCharlieKat Posts: 79 Member
    I adore this story. Holy crap. Keep up the good work.
    Name on the Gallery is Charlesia
  • SapphicNovaSapphicNova Posts: 6 New Member
    I liked it so much that I started my own. Imitation is the best form of flattery. :) Very good job. <3
  • JimedJimed Posts: 692 Member
    Excellent story! I'm really loving it.