Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone here participating in NaNoWriMo this month?

solar_midnitesolar_midnite Posts: 7,557 Member
Unfortunately I missed out again this year (was totally unprepared when Nov. 1st rolled around, as per usual) but I like to see how many people actually participate/know about it, see if anyone cares to share their favorite helpful sites, pinterest pins, etc. Hardly anyone I know has heard of it, sadly, but I'm determined to have at least ONE idea come next November. >:[

Comments

• Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited November 2014
    My son-in-law usually participates, but I think he was unable to do so this year, because real life has been kicking his behind lately. He's even stopped working on his "Life in Afterworld" series, which is avaiable in Kindle, I *think*. His name is Eric D. Johnson. Look up "Roe" which is the first book of the series. I think it's good, but then again, I'm slightly biased.

Here's a link to his author page:

http://alifeinafterworld.com/
    Post edited by Jarsie9 on
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I am. It's my first year doing it, I only found out about it 3-4 years ago but I've wanted to participate since. I had an idea around about August and was going to begin writing then I remember NaNoWriMo, so I've held on to it and the urge to write (minus the beginning and ending paragraphs I already did as kind of notes on the idea).

It can be hard to come up with inspiration, I'm usually a pantser and will sometimes just go off of just on little scene I want to do or whatever and build from there as I write. Of course this would scare the crap out of me during NaNoWriMo, but I might try it one year. Of course I'm working on a novel like that too, that just started from one little scene... it's been 3 years, I have 10k words. Doesn't give me hope about working that way. LOL. Of course if I worked on it more it would help. XD

I don't really know anything for helpful sites. Other than for ideas I like to mess around on Seventh Sanctum, I'm just play around with the writing challenge generator and see what it gets me. I've actually gotten quite a few good ideas from there, though I've gotten some (a lot of) bad ones. When I'm done NaNoWriMo I have a story I'm working on that I used that site for inspiration on and I'm just having a blast with it. So if you need/want ideas it might be worth checking it out.
  • Options
    MelanieSimlishMelanieSimlish Posts: 4,432 Member
    I meant to but I forgot about it until a few days ago, and I don't want to jump in in the middle of the month. I'm still writing in my book that I've been working on for like a year and a half though. And my sister does NaNoWriMo every year, but she said she's not having a ton of luck with it this time LOL.
    44444.gif
  • Options
    Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    Nope. If I feel like writing, I'll write. I refuse to let my brain have any truck with things that are identified by made up words that are supposed to sound cool or cutting edge or whatever, but merely sound to me like a three year old's gibberish. Like Nanowrimo and Lady Gaga and babydaddy. >:)
  • Options
    @Jarsie9 - That's really neat! I'll have to check it out. :)

@dreamerz13 - Haha I do that too. I have so many ideas in my head and I want to start writing them, but then when I actually sit down to do so I'm like "WAIT. NaNo is sooooonnnnn!" lol. I like Seventh Sanctum, but I wish some of their stuff wasn't so...... silly. You know? Or more suited for D&D.

@MelanieSimlish - Agreed. Jumping in in the middle is just more stress than I need. My friend who's participating calculated that you need to write about 5k words a night to complete the goal, I think? Or something like that, idr. But jumping in in the middle, you'd have to write for hours and hours a day just to catch up. >> I'm stressed enough as it is without that on my head lol.

@Sue_D_Nim - Lady Gaga is overrated anyway haha.
  • Options
    Anyone else in NaNoWriMo?