Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimCity (flop), Sims 4 (flop). What's it going to take EA?

Comments

• robotpanda34robotpanda34 Posts: 3,387 Member
    munchie885 wrote: »
    SpidersWeb wrote: »
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    Chimark wrote: »
    The issue is not that a game is a flop, it's whether it makes money. Even "flops" like Sims 4 and Sim City make a lot of money. Most hit games would love to have the sales figures of a flop game like Sims 4.
    Most hit games would love to be the only popular ongoing series in their category. There's no realistic life simulation game that can compete with the Sims unlike other games.

There will be after this series is wiped out and other companies will finally be able to move in. Then EA will be poor :(

The lights of the Maxis office would be shut off.
    But EA will still be rolling in 6 point something billion of revenue a year.

You mean an eternity of half baked fails will continue ro be produced... Am I in he.ll?
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-306-1379539185-6.gif
    your suffering
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Anavastia wrote: »
    dmel25 wrote: »
    Where does it say anywhere a game company needs to put everything from past games into a new sims game? You are forgetting its a base game and its not TS3 and it shouldn't be TS3 otherwise why would you buy a new game.
    Yeah but for every enhancement, they've taken something else away.
    After 5 years, TS4 should be better than TS3, not just different. That's the problem.

e.g. technology, software libraries, and development tools have all improved in the last 5 years, with the huge amount of revenue this series generates, it shouldn't be just 'ok for a base game' it should be mind blowing.
    But its only a base game and they didn't promise us those things would be in the game. Its not a step back from previous games either its a new game. You can't compare a 4 year old game to TS4 TS3 has everything now. If you wanted an exact game like TS3 then I am sorry thats not what it is. I like that its new I didn't want it to be anything like TS3 I couldn't play TS3 very well with all the bugs.
    If they are going to market the game as Sims 4, then it should have stuff the previous base games had. If they wanted it to be a new game with a different direction, then they shouldn't have named it Sims 4 and they should have made a different Sims game that could have been Sims 4. The reason this game is Sims 4 is because EA wanted to save their 🐸🐸🐸🐸 once they found out the online Sims game they were making was going to fail, so they just turned that into Sims 4 because they knew people would by it since it is the next installment in the Sims series.

The excuse that this is just a base game is asinine, yes it is a base game, but is should built upon the previous BASE games, not the base games + expansion packs. No one is saying Sims 4 should be Sims 3 with all its EPs and more, we are saying it should have the basic features that Sims 1-3 had, and improved upon to make the game better.
    Um just because it doesn't have those things its not a sims game? I still take care of a family and let them have the best of things when they succeed in life. Where does it say its not still a sims game?

Where did he say it's not a sims game. He said it was named sims 4 when it was originally sims olympus. Point being this game was suppose to be an online sims game. Than it should have remained such instead trying to pass it off as the main series when it doesn't even offer the functionality of such. Not like that hasn't been explained to you a million times before.
    Here in the bold
    Where does it say anywhere a game company needs to put everything from past games into a new sims game? You are forgetting its a base game and its not TS3 and it shouldn't be TS3 otherwise why would you buy a new game.
    After 5 years, TS4 should be better than TS3, not just different. That's the problem.

e.g. technology, software libraries, and development tools have all improved in the last 5 years, with the huge amount of revenue this series generates, it shouldn't be just 'ok for a base game' it should be mind blowing.
    But its only a base game and they didn't promise us those things would be in the game. Its not a step back from previous games either its a new game. You can't compare a 4 year old game to TS4 TS3 has everything now. If you wanted an exact game like TS3 then I am sorry thats not what it is. I like that its new I didn't want it to be anything like TS3 I couldn't play TS3 very well with all the bugs.
    If they are going to market the game as Sims 4, then it should have stuff the previous base games had. If they wanted it to be a new game with a different direction, then they shouldn't have named it Sims 4 and they should have made a different Sims game that could have been Sims 4. The reason this game is Sims 4 is because EA wanted to save their 🐸🐸🐸🐸 once they found out the online Sims game they were making was going to fail, so they just turned that into Sims 4 because they knew people would buy it since it is the next installment in the Sims series.

The excuse that this is just a base game is asinine, yes it is a base game, but is should built upon the previous BASE games, not the base games + expansion packs. No one is saying Sims 4 should be Sims 3 with all its EPs and more, we are saying it should have the basic features that Sims 1-3 had, and improved upon to make the game better.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    Chimark wrote: »
    The issue is not that a game is a flop, it's whether it makes money. Even "flops" like Sims 4 and Sim City make a lot of money. Most hit games would love to have the sales figures of a flop game like Sims 4.
    Most hit games would love to be the only popular ongoing series in their category. There's no realistic life simulation game that can compete with the Sims unlike other games.

There will be after this series is wiped out and other companies will finally be able to move in. Then EA will be poor :(

The lights of the Maxis office would be shut off.
    But EA will still be rolling in 6 point something billion of revenue a year.

You mean an eternity of half baked fails will continue ro be produced... Am I in he.ll?
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-306-1379539185-6.gif
    your suffering

Being Munchie is suffering...
  • SpidersWebSpidersWeb Posts: 1,027 Member

Yep, all true, but it's still a disappointment to many. I'm not saying it's a bad game, I'm just saying it's not as good as it should have been. I didn't want another TS3, and actually never used any of the EPs.

But here are some things that could've made TS4 'impressive' instead of just 'adequate'

- maybe children could grow from babies in to adults?
    - maybe the worlds could have been larger and more vibrant than previous titles?
    - maybe there could've been more building options?
    - maybe somebody could've written Auto-Roof? (was left out, along with toddlers etc, due to budget/time restraints)
    - maybe there could have been vehicles?
    - rotational play could've been an option rather than forced?
    - realistic graphics could've been an option?
    - maybe a larger array of new and dynamic careers that do not repeat?

Where they did get innovative was:

- emotions
    - improved CAS

But this cost us a lot of other features that could've/should've been in the base game or at least an improved alternative.

Performance, Price, Portability - pick two.
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited November 2014

If they are going to market the game as Sims 4, then it should have stuff the previous base games had. If they wanted it to be a new game with a different direction, then they shouldn't have named it Sims 4 and they should have made a different Sims game that could have been Sims 4. The reason this game is Sims 4 is because EA wanted to save their 🐸🐸🐸🐸 once they found out the online Sims game they were making was going to fail, so they just turned that into Sims 4 because they knew people would by it since it is the next installment in the Sims series.

Um just because it doesn't have those things its not a sims game? I still take care of a family and let them have the best of things when they succeed in life. Where does it say its not still a sims game?

Where did he say it's not a sims game. He said it was named sims 4 when it was originally sims olympus. Point being this game was suppose to be an online sims game. Than it should have remained such instead trying to pass it off as the main series when it doesn't even offer the functionality of such. Not like that hasn't been explained to you a million times before.
    Here in the bold

If they are going to market the game as Sims 4, then it should have stuff the previous base games had. If they wanted it to be a new game with a different direction, then they shouldn't have named it Sims 4 and they should have made a different Sims game that could have been Sims 4. The reason this game is Sims 4 is because EA wanted to save their 🐸🐸🐸🐸 once they found out the online Sims game they were making was going to fail, so they just turned that into Sims 4 because they knew people would buy it since it is the next installment in the Sims series.

right as i said where did he say it's not a sims game. You however just don't want to catch on to the point. You want to see and believe what you want to. It was not hard to understand what he was stating at all.

He said it shouldn't have been named sims 4. He said nothing about it not being a sims game. The game should have taken a new name and new direction. The fact is like he said the stamped sims 4 on it to try and recover the losses from trying to make that failed mmo they knew wouldn't gain that many users.

Here in the bold

right as i said where did he say it's not a sims game. You however just don't want to catch on to the point. You want to see and believe what you want to. It was not hard to understand what he was stating at all.

He said it shouldn't have been named sims 4. He said nothing about it not being a sims game. The game should have taken a new name and new direction. The fact is like he said the stamped sims 4 on it to try and recover the losses from trying to make that failed mmo they knew wouldn't gain that many users.
    Ok but I like the game so I am defending it. I think its probably the one that has the most potential to be really good. I realize that things were taken out and that most of you are disappointed in the direction it went. But personally I like that it is different and its still feels like a sims game to me. I am not trying to say your opinion isn't valid because for you it is for me I don't feel like that towards the game,

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    Ok but I like the game so I am defending it. I think its probably the one that has the most potential to be really good. I realize that things were taken out and that most of you are disappointed in the direction it went. But personally I like that it is different and its still feels like a sims game to me. I am not trying to say your opinion isn't valid because for you it is for me I don't feel like that towards the game,

And good on you for doing so :)
    Even where people disagree, it generates good discussion.

I do see some potential there myself - for the sake of being positive - I do like how easy it is to add custom traits and skills, which could make for some interesting game mods in the future.

Yep, all true, but it's still a disappointment to many. I'm not saying it's a bad game, I'm just saying it's not as good as it should have been. I didn't want another TS3, and actually never used any of the EPs.

But here are some things that could've made TS4 'impressive' instead of just 'adequate'

- maybe the worlds could have been larger and more vibrant than previous titles?
    - maybe somebody could've written Auto-Roof? (was left out, along with toddlers etc, due to budget/time restraints)

- emotions
    - improved CAS

But this cost us a lot of other features that could've/should've been in the base game or at least an improved alternative.

Excuse me, you want ea to cut out two more lifestages rather than add in? Or are you talking about gradual aging? You'll have to be specific cause i don't understand what you mean by going from baby to adult.

Frankly a larger array of rabbit hole careers wouldn't have solved jack. Why should I pay ea to go invisible in a game and not play a thing. should be time to start making careers to where players can enjoy and actually play them as optional. As obviously some simmers buy this game for whatever reason to let the game play for them.

emotions aren't innovative, they're rehashed systems that we already had just now they have moodlets attached to them with wonky walk styles. It's not as indepth and great as it should be and frankly that's the sign of a rushed game. It's missing quite a lot of emotions to the system to make it feel new especially when it's not even acknowledging environments half the time.

Improved CAS that is a bit wonky without sliders as well. It seems to be lacking the effects of control. just no offense CAS without CAST is just mediocre at best. As wonderful as adding so many options to shape a sim these two systems don't improve on the main objective and that is the gameplay. .

I bought all expansions for all the sims titles. This is the only series that not only have i not bought the basegame i won't be buying the expansions either if they cannot improve the simulation portion of this game.

No matter how i look at it rushing the game out was a huge mistake on their part.
  • JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Say good bye to The Sims franchise lol. It's over guys. EA hecked up

And good on you for doing so :)
    Even where people disagree, it generates good discussion.

I do see some potential there myself - for the sake of being positive - I do like how easy it is to add custom traits and skills, which could make for some interesting game mods in the future.
    We can have way more traits then we could have in TS3. I love that aspect of the game.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    edited November 2014

Here in the bold

Liking and defending the game without first acknowledging that games weaknesses or origins is not showing you like it or are defending it. Games are not human beings or living creatures they don't need your defenses in the first place. There isn't anything for you to protect so the heroic stance is unwanted and not needed. While you think the game has potential many don't and that is the problem. Protecting this game would mean you acknowledge that it needs improvements and change to make it better. It also mean that you understand that wihout more customers this game would fail. Therefor to fix the problem you must find what is the root of it. Potential does not bring sales and it certainly doesn't hold customers to the game. No what does is good solid development, with the ability to flexible enough to adjust. I don't doubt this game is liked by some people. However it is a game that has alienated quite a lot of people that are also big spenders to the series and some. No revenue coming in means no future for this game.

Even if I like the game i have no problem with stating where i find a game lacking and where i find it excels. Everything has room for improvement, where you make your mistakes is where you strengthen yourself and grow. So for this game to make the mistakes it has and to remain rooted in the opinion it should not change is why we are in this mess in the first place. Why because Maxis had not learned from the beginning that it's fanbase would not accept a rushed out version of sims if it lacked in core areas. No they still made the same mistakes they've made with sims 2 and sims 3 and that is why the series could not grow, could not innovate, and is has become stale in gameplay and huge step backwards not forward.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    wow another one...well ill just keep on keeping on enjoying my game. may thoughs who dont find something positive to full the void.
    Jimil wrote: »

If only they kept The Sims Social online...
    edited November 2014

- emotions
    - improved CAS

Excuse me, you want ea to cut out two more lifestages rather than add in? Or are you talking about gradual aging? You'll have to be specific cause i don't understand what you mean by going from baby to adult.

Frankly a larger array of rabbit hole careers wouldn't have solved jack. Why should I pay ea to go invisible in a game and not play a thing. should be time to start making careers to where players can enjoy and actually play them as optional. As obviously some simmers buy this game for whatever reason to let the game play for them.

emotions aren't innovative, they're rehashed systems that we already had just now they have moodlets attached to them with wonky walk styles. It's not as indepth and great as it should be and frankly that's the sign of a rushed game. It's missing quite a lot of emotions to the system to make it feel new especially when it's not even acknowledging environments half the time.

Improved CAS that is a bit wonky without sliders as well. It seems to be lacking the effects of control. just no offense CAS without CAST is just mediocre at best. As wonderful as adding so many options to shape a sim these two systems don't improve on the main objective and that is the gameplay. .

I bought all expansions for all the sims titles. This is the only series that not only have i not bought the basegame i won't be buying the expansions either if they cannot improve the simulation portion of this game.

No matter how i look at it rushing the game out was a huge mistake on their part.

With Baby->Adult, I meant getting rid of life stages all together - so yes gradual aging.
    Children do not blow candles on a cake, and suddenly become a teenager, an innovative concept would've been to have them slowly grow over time.

With careers the keyword there was "dynamic". Right now each career is the same each time you play it, some have two branches, and you get occasional dialogs - but this is all the same as TS3 - no innovation.

As for CAS/emotions etc - I was trying to give the game a fair go - not promote it :) I was impressed by CAS, and emotions have changed how I play the game, so felt it was worthy of some credit.

• Gtompkins48Gtompkins48 Posts: 477 Member
    At this point I would consider TS4 to be a flop. Pains me to say it, but they really screwed this one up. I've put it on the shelf until further notice. I'm not sure if they should attempt to fix the game or if they should just scrap it and start working on TS5.
    At this point I would consider TS4 to be a flop. Pains me to say it, but they really screwed this one up. I've put it on the shelf until further notice. I'm not sure if they should attempt to fix the game or if they should just scrap it and start working on TS5.

I'm thinking they can keep making it while producing a spin off games like we got for each game. Hopefully something better than Medieval which was too bad actually. It just got repetitive. Then they can use that money to produce something worth being call next gen simming. No more of this low end computer garbage.
  • BamajamBamajam Posts: 812 Member
    Asuka, I have to say this. I may disagree with your opinion of TS4 but dang your gifs describing your opinions sure make me laugh! :D
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    well over the years technology changes so over time games changes and game programming gets more complex, even computers where pretty basics from the humble commodre 64 and vic 20 computers ibm pc clones with cga color monitor or ega or monochromes screens because if in a few years from now the sims franchise stills exist we might not be of this world technology for games will be diffrent from what we know.

sl77s8.jpg

23wryfr.jpg
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member
    I Loooooove the Sims. I am just currently bored with the Base Game... like any of the base games. I'm just waiting patiently for future EPs... because god knows bugs/glitches will always endure.
    OJGRGDT.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Is Sims 4 perfect? Of course not -- it's a base game.

Is it still enjoyable? For me it is, and for many other people.

I've pretty much played every day, except when I've had other Real Life stuff going on or I've been out of town (like last week). Even today when I had to go help my mom-in-law with her iPad I was able to fit in some playing time this morning.

Can it be improved? Possibly -- it depends on the limitations of the game engine. Maybe the career tasks can be made optional, but if you complete them you get a bigger raise/bonus on promotion. Maybe with an EP or two the game will feel more complete. Maybe with more patches to add features (like they're working on something for Build mode, maybe basements?) it will give more options.

I admit that I was one of the nay-sayers before the game was released. But I decided I had to give the game a fair hearing. And the more I saw of the game, especially when we saw game play that didn't involve bros or cupcake machines or murderous dictators as comic figures, the more I liked it. (Bros have surprisingly grown on me, but I have yet to use the cupcake machine and the only thing I want to do with the dictator is feed him to my cowplant.) Unlike Sims 3 where if I wanted to start a new family, I'd have to start a completely new save, I can have my new families interacting in my current world with my current family. In fact, the daughter of a couple I created to experiment with some things and liked so much I moved them to my current world just married one of the grandsons of my Simself (who has passed on but her husband is still around). And I FINALLY got the gold medal for a wedding so no more having to do all the tasks when I hold a wedding!

I think it's too soon to call Sims 4 a flop -- sure, a lot of people here hate it, but how many people out there who don't bother coming on the forums are enjoying it...and the reason they don't come on the forums is because they don't want to be berated by those who hate the game?
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member

People know what quality is and what quality is not. They know when the next installment in the series is worth it or not, of course this is all based on each individuals POV. Whatever they got out of the game, is it still there in the new version and so much more? I know I want to make sure whatever money I spend, I spend it on something that's worth it to me. If the base game is weak, then so will the EP's because of too many limitations. So the base game/game engine is a crucial factor and how everything else will follow.

TS
    A brand new game that says, "The People Simulator from the Creator of Sim City"
    This is open-ended/sandbox and is how it began.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yLpvhNfoWA

TS2
    A CONTINUATION of what started it all. Part of the introduction in the manual reads, "In The Sims 2, sims have taken on a whole new dimension. As they add generations to their family trees, you'll see them pass on DNA, personalities, and inheritances. Watch your sims age from gurgling babies to adults with their own children, all the while striving to achieve their life goals." ADDED more than the original game started with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9u1zMCos8w

TS3
    No longer confined to one lot at a time. Now go wherever you please and no loading screens between lots. Visit neighbors, literally walk to the park or beach. wherever. The open world along with CASt are huge improvements over both TS/TS2 in that department. TS3 also ADDED more for the series to grow into something worthwhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6gXiw5URNM

TS4
    The first time in Sims history where supposedly a sequel leaves out a life stage and pools since it were first introduced. Not only that it didn't ADD anything worthwhile compared to what TS2 and TS3 base games did and most definitely didn't build upon the continuation of the series. How do you just forget TS3 like it never existed? I am impressed by PROGRESSION not regression. I get the feeling that TS4 is nothing more than living inside a goldfish bowl. Feeling trapped. Can't go there even if it's next door or across the street even though can see it. Everything feels so fake, so unbelievable, completely losing any immersion. Realism is gone while everything over-the-top takes focus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00mK3Pxc8w
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    Jimil wrote: »
    They better sell the rights to another company.... I need my Sims!
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    djaygamer wrote: »

It's been noted that source reference is highly unreliable though. But on the other hand, it's reputed to only include physical copies, in a world that is more and more becoming digital download oriented. It's quite possible it's quite a bit more than that number.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.