Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's be friends!

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    lynnbrown wrote: »
    Okay, so I have a list of movies to watch now :) I do use Netflix. My teen daughter is into classic movies, and I love that she can see beyond what is trendy & popular. So in an attempt to bond with her, I have been on a hunt for good titles (dvd or netflix). Even tried googling top movies of different eras. Any that you suggest for her age? @MelanieSimlish & @Colorist40

Well Harvey is cute it is about a guy (Jimmy Stewart) who has an imaginary rabbit he talks to lol, and I mentioned that already. I guess not knowing what age in the teens she is, it is hard to make suggestions. I will tell you some I like that I have not mentioned.

The following is a list of movies I like:

Bad Seed (not the new one with McCauley Caulkin lol)

Conflict (Humphrey Bogart)

And Then There Were None

Key Largo (Humphrey Bogart)

Another Man's Poison (Bette Davis)

Cape Fear (Gregory Peck)

Night of the Hunter (Robert Mitchum) Another favorite actor of mine.

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (Dana Andrews)

Spiral Staircase

The Birds (Hitchc.ock movie)

Rope (Hitchc.ock film)

Mildred Pierce (Joan Crawford)

Sorry Wrong Number

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (might be one that would appeal to your daughter for sure)

Gaslight

Blondie movies starring Arthur Lake and Penny Singleton (very much would appeal to your daughter I think)

Ma and Pa Kettle series of movies

The Heiress (Olivia DeHaviland)

I guess I will stop there lol. I could list more, but these are ones I especially like. I would suggest that you google all the movies first to see if even though they are older movies you feel they would be appropriate for her to watch. Compared to movies of today most are very tame lol. Hope this helps at least give you some ideas. In my opinion you can't go too wrong with any movie with Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Robert Mitchum, Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart or Edward G. Robinson. So maybe google their filmographies and find some movies that way as well.

• Options
    lynnbrownlynnbrown Posts: 73 Member
    Colorist40 wrote: »
    Okay, so I have a list of movies to watch now :) I do use Netflix. My teen daughter is into classic movies, and I love that she can see beyond what is trendy & popular. So in an attempt to bond with her, I have been on a hunt for good titles (dvd or netflix). Even tried googling top movies of different eras. Any that you suggest for her age? @MelanieSimlish & @Colorist40

Well Harvey is cute it is about a guy (Jimmy Stewart) who has an imaginary rabbit he talks to lol, and I mentioned that already. I guess not knowing what age in the teens she is, it is hard to make suggestions. I will tell you some I like that I have not mentioned.

And Then There Were None

Cape Fear (Gregory Peck)

Spiral Staircase

Rope (Hitchc.ock film)

Sorry Wrong Number

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (might be one that would appeal to your daughter for sure)

Gaslight

Blondie movies starring Arthur Lake and Penny Singleton (very much would appeal to your daughter I think)

I guess I will stop there lol. I could list more, but these are ones I especially like. I would suggest that you google all the movies first to see if even though they are older movies you feel they would be appropriate for her to watch. Compared to movies of today most are very tame lol. Hope this helps at least give you some ideas. In my opinion you can't go too wrong with any movie with Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Robert Mitchum, Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart or Edward G. Robinson. So maybe google their filmographies and find some movies that way as well.

Thanks so much! :D
  • Options

And Then There Were None

Cape Fear (Gregory Peck)

Spiral Staircase

Rope (Hitchc.ock film)

Sorry Wrong Number

Gaslight

Thanks so much! :D

You are welcome. Hope you find some of these to be as enjoyable as I do.
  • Options
    Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
  • Options
    Bear31 wrote: »
    EVERYBODY CONGA NOW!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic87SfqQAAM

*Dances*

much needed laugh :p
  • Options
    I remember that movie Beetle juice lol. Boy I guess that dates me. "Congas to bed"

Night all will check back in tomorrow.
  • Options

*Dances*

Good!! Hope everything is okay though?
  • Options

*Dances*

All is well, thank you. Just tired, normal end of the week drain. Even found it hard to play the game tonight, so I am hanging out in the forums. Glad I am though, glad I found his thread, and very happy to have met a few kind simmers.
  • Options
    Hi @goofygoober25. Don't worry about the name. I like it. As a mom, I got the reference right away, and it made me smile.
  • Options

*Dances*

All is well, thank you. Just tired, normal end of the week drain. Even found it hard to play the game tonight, so I am hanging out in the forums. Glad I am though, glad I found his thread, and very happy to have met a few kind simmers.

Thats cool! I am glad that things are good but sorry about brain drain.....LOL. I am about to head off to bed in a few short minutes, but I am listening to music and seem to can't get enough.....LOL
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »
    Goodnight @Bear31
    I hope that you have a nice enjoyable and restful weekend after your tiring week @lynnbrown

Night Rose!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmd3RFcssLE

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcxXIEa7TMFqddQ1VrjdxApValIM2-z06DRDHTuLkNwqMWY83-P1Ex-g
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    Yay, so many replies! For a second I thought this thread might get buried haha. Glad to see so many of you have joined xD I look forward to talking to all of you, but it's almost midnight and I have work early. Ugh. Hopefully I get some free time to check back here tomorrow. Night everyone!
  • Options
    mlnov39mlnov39 Posts: 2,294 Member
    mlnov39 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just came back from watching Dumb and Dumber on TV. My son was channel surfing and came upon it. Not my choice but it made me giggle. :)
    Welcome @lynnbrown and @colorist40
    Hope you're not getting snow. It's pretty cold here in New Jersey.

I cringed when I saw that movie lol. Now they have number 2 out and watching the trailers makes me do the same ha ha ha.

We don't have snow yet, but will have a little by tomorrow into Sunday maybe an inch but not much more. Will be the first of the season. How about you any snow where you are?

There hasn't been snow in my area, but I did see cars on the street with snow on them.
    It's getting pretty chilly, though and despite all the times I've asked I still don't understand
    how a thermostat works. :D

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Oh god, I guess I'm supposed to think of something positive to say about myself so people will want to be my friend... Um... Well, my name is Melanie. I like books. I like music and movies and stuff... and I'm dangerously in love with cupcakes. I love dogs and cats and basically every animal on the planet, though I wish all the insects on the planet a slow and untimely death. I live in Utah and I hate the snow (great combination, right?) and while I do not play the guitar, I do own one and have been meaning to, for the past two years, pick it up and learn it. My favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird, my favorite movie is also To Kill a Mockingbird followed by His Girl Friday, and my favorite bands/singers are Little Green Cars, The Antlers, Glass Animals, and Ellie Goulding. Plus a million others. I'm very thirsty for some water right now but I'm too lazy to go downstairs to get it, and I don't have any friends so anybody bored enough to send me a message and interact with me is more than welcome. But I'm really lame and annoying, just FYI. I think that's really all I have to say. :#

Hi Melanie, and I love cupcakes. I work in NYC and as you can imagine, everythings expensive. :s
    So I went into this cute little bakery that just opened and my sister-in-law chooses a beautiful little
    cupcake decorated like a pink rose. When the cashier goes to ring it up $6 and we look at eachother.
    My sister-in-law, being the polite, non-offending kind of person was about to pay for it! I had to jump
    right in and tell them no, we preferred a different cupcake. For $6 I can buy a whole box at the
    supermarket. :disappointed_relieved:

PS, no one here is lame or annoying. :)

• Options
    I know isn't it good to have something besides tv to talk to? lol

Welcome btw @lynnbrown & @MelanieSimlish.

@MelanieSimlish I too like the book to Kill a Mockingbird and I love the movie. Isn't Gregory Peck handsome. One of my favorite actors is Cary Grant and I like him a lot in Arsenic and Old Lace. I love Alfred Hitchc.ock movies a lot as well along with old movies. Bette Davis is my favorite old time actress and I love her in The Letter and Jezebel. I also love her in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. I too am very boring, so we might make good friends. Cupcakes aren't something I get into, but you couldn't tell that from my waistline. I like them, but try to stay away from sweets.

Feel free to pm me if you would like. Same goes for anybody on here, or we can just interact on this thread. Either way is fine by me.

Love older movies too, especially musicals. One of my favorite actors is Gene Kelly. Mostly because he can sing and dance. Anytime I need a pick me up, I You Tube the iconic scene from Singing in the Rain. As far as cupcakes: love em! My daughter and I recently decided to become "bakers" after watching I don't know how many seasons of cupcake wars. Actually didn't do too bad. Cheated with a box mix for the batter, but found out we were pretty good at making flowers out of icing.

Sorry for spamming, but I want to respond. I love old movies also. Cary Grant, Clark Gable are just two of
    my favorites. Gene Kelly is my favorite, he acts, sings and dances and he's so handsome. I've always wondered
    what those legs of his looked like in shorts. ;)

• Options
    Good morning friends. (So nice to be able to say that.) So just for fun, and to get to know each other a little better.. Here's a couple of questions.
    1) If you were creating a sim self what traits, skills, and life ambition would you have?
    2)What kind of plans do you have for the weekend?

My answers:
    1) Sim self: family oriented, loves children, neat, friendly, active, nerdy. As far as skills: working on cooking (not a natural talent for me. I think I could burn water if it was possible.) Dancing (not a skill that is available in TS4 yet, but my passion and job.) Life ambition: sole mate (completed in my case, married my high school sweetheart <3 ) so now moving on to successful lineage
    2) Plans for the weekend: Not much, but looking forward to spending a family day with my husband & little ones. Thinking a movie, and maybe a nice dinner somewhere. Then tomorrow, cleaning and hopefully a little gaming.
  • Options
    Good morning friends. (So nice to be able to say that.) So just for fun, and to get to know each other a little better.. Here's a couple of questions.
    1) If you were creating a sim self what traits, skills, and life ambition would you have?

My answers:
    1) Sim self: family oriented, loves children, neat, friendly, active, nerdy. As far as skills: working on cooking (not a natural talent for me. I think I could burn water if it was possible.) Dancing (not a skill that is available in TS4 yet, but my passion and job.) Life ambition: sole mate (completed in my case, married my high school sweetheart <3 ) so now moving on to successful lineage
    2) Plans for the weekend: Not much, but looking forward to spending a family day with my husband & little ones. Thinking a movie, and maybe a nice dinner somewhere. Then tomorrow, cleaning and hopefully a little gaming.

1. sim self family oriented, bookworm, good, hot headed (trying to work on that lol), loner. Skills I am not very good with my hands, but I would like to be. I want to learn how to crochet, but it seems impossible from the videos I watch. I think I need to have someone in person show me how. My sister learned, but she is more handy like that than me, but she lives far away. I am a nerd bookworm, and only read non fiction books. If I had a skill besides crocheting I could have, it would be writer. I do write so so poetry, but I would love to write a book or better poetry lol. My lifetime goal would be to be a celebrated 5 star chef, or illustrious author although I think the first one would be more realistic if I tried lol.

2. Plans for the weekend? Resting up to get over my ear infection sigh (I got to stop cleaning out my ears twice a year lol) it always happens. lol Waiting for Hubby to get home from work he working ot today, ordering in, or maybe carrying out from somewhere with snow coming not sure on that one, watching our usual Sat. line up Star Trek the original series and Svengoolie lol. Google if you don't know him.
    Tomorrow resting again maybe shopping with hubby. My sons birthday is today, and he is 26, but he lives 2 hours away so won't be seeing him. Maybe will give him a ring later. Other than that watching Packers kick butt tomorrow and all around just relaxing.

Your weekend sounds great Lynn. Haven't been to a movie in 3 years lol. Not much out there to see in my opinion. lol

• Options
    edited November 2014

My answers:

Good morning lynnbrown & to everyone. Hope your outing was great.

I stay home on weekends, it's tough for me to go out since I don't drive and I would
    have to take a bus to go anywhere. I live in New Jersey and work in New York City and
    I'm on my first of two buses at 6:22am every morning. I start work at 7:30am-5:00pm.
    I get home around 6:30pm-7:00pm (Mon-Fri) so on the weekends I don't want to leave my house.
    Needless to say that when a family member says, "Take a bus and come see me" I say, "Uh...no" :D

My simself would be Family oriented, Loner, Bookworm, Artistic. :)

Post edited by mlnov39 on
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    Hey everyone! Finally have a little bit of free time to be able to post here!

Okay, so if I were to create a simself (which I tried actually but in the end I think she ended up looking nothing like me haha), my traits would definitely be geek, music lover, goofball, and to throw in a little TS3, night owl. My life ambition would probably be in the tech guru or music careers. As for my skills, I'm not quite sure! I guess I feel like I don't really have any? lol

I don't have any specific plans for this weekend. I'm more of a go with the flow kind of girl, I'm never really one to plan ahead. I will probably just hang out with my boyfriend and have a lazy Sunday. I'm the same way @mlnov39. I don't have a car so I pretty much have to rely on others for rides right now. Most of the time when my friends invite me out I don't want to bug someone for a ride or just plain don't feel like going out. I'm such a homebody haha, which is bad because I'm at that age where I should be going out while I still can. Ah well.
  • Options
    @Colorist40 - Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well :( . I hope you are feeling better today. Ordering in with the hubby sounds nice. I always enjoy those evenings, and the best part is you don't have to clean the kitchen afterwards. Happy Birthday to your son. I can relate. My oldest son just moved 3 hours away to attend college. I am still trying to adjust to him not being with us. This will be our first Thanksgiving apart. He has a new job, and not going to be able to come home. Sending you warm thoughts today mom to mom. I understand.
    -
    @Minov39 - I don't blame you at all. I am a homebody too (at least when I can be with 3 kids). I have always wanted to visit New York (on my bucket list, want to see a real Broadway show). It might throw me into a culture shock though. I live in a very small town in the midwest. In fact so small that we only have 2 stoplights, lol. I love the fact that I can go to the store, or to get gas, and most people I run into I know by name. At the same time, it can be difficult to keep yourself entertained. Not much to do without traveling at least an hour. It sounds like you are a hard worker, and have little free time, so it's precious, and it's okay to be a little selfish with it :)

@xitneverendss - Nothing wrong with being a homebody at all. Especially if you have someone to enjoy a lazy Sunday with <3 . Going out is fun, but those little moments are always so much dearer to me. I admit I miss my go with the flow days, but with 3 teenagers (one now in college) it takes planning now. My husband and I married young, so we didn't have many of those "should be going out" days, but I'm not really sure that I missed out on anything. We built a wonderful life together. I love that we can watch a movie on Netflix, pop some popcorn, throw blankets on the living room floor, and be completely happy and content. No matter where you are in life, as long as you are happy, safe, and have someone who cares about you, than you have all you need.

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. It sounds like you all did. Mine went very well. I made new friends thanks to you all, and always love spending time with my family. This morning we woke up to our first snow of the season. (about 3 inches, and still snowing) Chili is cooking, and getting ready to watch another episode of Lost on Netflix with my husband. Hope all of my friends are warm on this chilly Sunday evening :)
  • Options
    @Minov39 I must say living in New Jersey working in New York must be hard. I bet it is exciting though. I live in the Midwest, and unlike LynnBrown, it isn't a one horse town, but it is a smaller city. I don't think I could live in a big city honestly. I always thought I would love to go to New York to see the statue of liberty, and go to New Jersey to get a cupcake or some kind of cake from Buddy's (the cake bosses) shop. I hear those things are amazing. Have you ever had one? Lucky you if you have.

@xitneverendss I too am a home body for reasons that I won't elaborate here lol, but I am good with it. I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as enjoy your life the way it is. Ah a fellow goofball. I like clowning, but don't go over the top. I like laughing and making others laugh, but I know my sense of humor isn't everyone's cup of tea. I love the nighttime, but since I can't sleep during the day being a night owl wouldn't work for me. I have never made a serious effort at making my simself as I don't feel they turn out like you said yours didn't. Besides why should my simself have things better than me? I mean they would have a house, car, and all the amenities and there is no way a pixelated computer lady is going to have it good like that if I don't ha ha ha. j/k I don't know your age, but don't buy into your young so you should be doing this or that. If you are happy in life that is all that matters.

@lynnbrown Thanks for the pm. I am glad you can find joy in simple things especially with 3 kids lol. I would hate to live in a small town where everybody knows me. I being a loner, don't want people to have that much info on me ha ha ha. Having everyone in your business would not be fun. Besides not driving having everything an hour away would sure suck. lol Wow homemade chili. The best I do is from a can add some onions and cheese. Hubby is out visiting his ex wifes grandchildren. Lol Long story. Even though he isn't blood related he still pretends they are his, and so on his one day off this week (hubby works nights) I sit here alone. It is after 5 and he left before 12. So don't have hubby with me right now. So glad you are enjoying your night with hubby. Never saw lost, so don't know what that is like, but if you enjoy it that is great! I too am in the Midwest so welcome fellow Midwesterner lol.

@everybody It has been quiet here this weekend, and I hope it is only because it is the weekend and everybody is busy. Hope to see more people come back and participate as I think this thread is amazing. Let us not let it die, and anybody who wants to keep in touch but not on here can pm me.

• Options
    Sigh it seems the thread has died already. Sad, but I hope those who I have met on here who have pmed me will still do so.

Good day all.