Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Colds, germs, and computers... After reading the cold thread.

After seeing the thread on colds, I got to thinking about this. This is a rather serious matter due to the spread of germs, and given that we're more indoors now than in the warmer months, we're also more prone to getting the latest bugs that are going around whether they're just a common cold, or worse. I'm not one of those paranoid people when it comes to germs and bugs, but having worked with people in my old job as a technician, I got somewhat cautious to put it mildly. :smile:

Some of the dirtiest places you can have around your house and office are the last thing on your mind. You think about the kitchen counters, fridge, bathroom, and even the floor, but how many have ever thought about their computer? Seriously! The personal computer, and other personal electronic devices, can be well, to put it mildly, quite gross!

The keyboard for one is covered with crumbs and stuff from eating at the computer. Heck, I even do it myself. Who wants their Sims to go unwatched while we eat, or miss catching up on emails while eating lunch. The thing is, seriously, we're dropping bits of goop into the keyboard along with crumbs from the morning's muffins, coffee, even grease from our fingers. This stuff adds up and really makes a gross keyboard.

The mouse isn't much better, well a bit better now that they don't have the ball on the bottom, but still they get covered with splooge! The hands are greasy, and when covered with food, that only makes them more dirty.

The display, well that can get really gross too from, and I hate to say it, sneezing and coughing. Yup! Cough, sneeze, splatter, spray, and now we have a smudge of stuff on the screen.

This may sound gross, which is really only a small part of the point I'm making here. The point is this is also quite dangerous for those that work around these computers. We're pretty immune to our own germs, but what we've done is spread stuff that can harm others around us. I never thought of this until my nephews visited. They'd visit; I'd get a cold or stomach bug. It wasn't just once or twice, it was every time! The same thing happens in the workplace too. People muck up their computers then call tech support for a technical issue. The poor technician is then exposed to the hazards left on the machines.

What you can do to prevent the spreading of unwanted germs and critters is keep your keyboard, monitor, and mouse clean. You can get those alcohol wipes and kits for computer cleaning. These work well but, I found that a little bit of soap and water does a good job too, and is also great for the pre-clean should stuff be really dirty. A tiny bit of soap on a damp paper towel will do a nice job with removing the grime. Using the alcohol wipes later on are great for the final cleaning.

I recommend those monitor cleaning wipes and rags over Windex(tm) or other spray cleaners unless it's meant for displays due to the fact that non-display cleaners can actually ruin the surface causing blurred displays among other things.

I use this process on my own equipment, which keeps things sparkling clean and not sticky. :smile:

But what about those of us that touch other people's computers? Wash your hands with a good hot soapy water, and then lather on that anti-bacterial stuff, and don't touch your face. As a PC technician (now retired), I handled up to 100 users a day. In my last years of doing this, I never caught the colds or flus going around because I made sure I kept my hands away from my face and my hands disinfected and clean. I suppose I'm a bit paranoid of germs after all.

John

Comments

• Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    I sometimes lick my keyboard and mouse clean - well, I don't want to waste any spillages.
  • Options
    MrGodardMrGodard Posts: 713 Member
    Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)

20090530031726_thumb.jpg

But thanks for the tips :)
  • Options
    John_CitronJohn_Citron Posts: 140 Member
    > @MrGodard said:
    > Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)
    >
    >
    >
    > But thanks for the tips :)

LOL and thanks! There were days when I felt like that. :smile:
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I am pretty much a germophobe so I keep everything super clean anyway. But this has reminded me, my laptop is due for a cleaning. *whips out electronic wipes*
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    MrGodard wrote: »
    Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)

20090530031726_thumb.jpg

But thanks for the tips :)

this is pretty much me. LOL.

No quite. I try to be normal... but I could so happily do that all day. XD
  • Options
    MelanieSimlishMelanieSimlish Posts: 4,432 Member
    Library books skeeve me out too so I have to wipe down the covers with a Clorox wipe before I read them, because who knows how many people have read that book on the toilet? :s
    44444.gif
  • Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    I heard licking doorknobs boosts your immune system.
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    I've known about this for many years. Mostly common sense. ;)
    Cellphones are also a huge germ refuge.... :(
    (I'm always cleaning mine, and I wash hands very often, etc).