Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Truth About Sims: Who's Pulling Your Strings?

PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
edited November 2014 in The Sims (2000)
My name is Jeremiah Marx. I am a senior at the School for the Logically Adept.

The story I am about to convey is true. The names and faces of the individuals are real. The situation...frightening. Warning: Even owning this book could put your life at risk or at least your sanity.

Monday, Week 6, I arrived at school early, as I do every weekday, During first hour, I noticed that all of the children were acting very peculiar. John Jones, Mikey Mark, Haley Havacrush and Lauren Love were walking down the hall, their eyes darting back and forth and from time to time, these dear friends (which I've known since toddlers) would suddenly stop, turn go the other way, stop, begin a group discussion, stop, play tag, stop, and finally go down the hall again on their original course. Yes, I know that the statement is a run-on but it was the sense that I got from them, as if their actions were a series of run-ons. This observation left me perplexed but I decided it was one of those anomalies that make up life. I went to class.

Terrance Turrell sits beside me in first hour. He is an ambitious sort who enjoys swimming, fishing and catacomb spelunking. I know this because he and I share these passions. This Monday first hour, we had a test which is not uncommon and I usually shrug it off since I am a genius. As I was sitting there breezing through the quantum physics test, the silence was broken as Terrance suddenly put down his pencil, started waving his hands in the air and crying out about being tired. I ignored it at first but then his cries turned into cries of hunger. Ordinarily, I would have just gone on with my test but I noticed him taking a raw jellyfish out of his pocket and eating it. Perhaps it was the odd behavior of the children earlier that had caused me to be more aware of his actions. I continued with my test.

Second hour, I could not get the morning's events out of my mind. So I did something out of character for me, I switched my mindset from working hard to hanging out with friends. After doing this, I decided to seek out Terrance and find out how he was doing. He was in the library, napping in a booth. I decided to leave him there and went on to class.

During Second Hour, the things I'd witnessed continued to poke at my thoughts so bad that my girlfriend, Sarah Slipperknot, noticed.

"Hey," she said, in a seemingly loud voice.

"Huh?" I asked.

"I've been talking to you for five minutes but you haven't heard a word. What's wrong?

"Kooky Bear, " I began, "have you noticed anyone acting...odd?"

"Hmm," she thought for a second. "No, not..." She got up, walked over to Theresa Terriblename and declared in a loud voice, Theresa as her arch nemesis. Theresa's crime was accusing my Kooky Bear of being too friendly. After the declaration, they fought.

As if this weren't enough, I swept my gaze around the room and noticed that no one else seemed to be the slightest bit interested. There were some who were so engrossed with hanging out with their friends that they didn't even know about anything else happening in the room. Others were looking frantically around the room and pouncing on anyone who entered that they didn't know and trying, a bit desperately, to befriend them. It was as if they were on an uncontrollable mission to make new friends. Others were so engrossed in their work that I think the school could have been overrun by zombie bears from the catacombs and these guys wouldn't even notice. A few were slacking off in extravagant and obvious ways while I was stuck fighting the urge to hang with my friends.

After their tousle, Sarah began apologizing repeatedly to Theresa. As I watched, they went from neutral acquaintances to arch nemesis and then to best friends. This was very perplexing. Finally, the school day was over but I decided to ignore the urge to go home. I waited for the children to get done with their classes.

Haley Havacrush was the first out the door so I decided to approach her. Immediately, I noticed that she was eying me nervously. I smiled, trying to seem reassuring, though self-consciously, I wasn't sure if I was pulling it off.

"Hey Haley, How was your day?" I asked.

She chuckled a bit derisively. "How was my day?!? How was my day?!?" She screamed frantically. "Isn't there anything else in your list of social interactions that aren't so mundane???" She waved her hands wildly in the air.

I absently went through my list and finally said, "well I would like to get..."

"Get to know me better, right?" She snarled. "Typical," she said with a shrug. "Do you realize what you did? You scrolled through a list of social interactions and chose one that you thought would be appropriate."

I thought about it, though I wasn't sure what she was getting at, I mean, she was sort of right but yet she was wrong. I didn't choose the interaction, it sort of chose itself. Then she said something that made my skin crawl.

"What if I told you, that you didn't make the choice at all? What if I told you that there was someone or something that was making these dec..." Suddenly, she turned away, went to the swing and began swinging. She seemed to be enjoying herself except for the look of resignation on her face that said 'here I go again.'

"It's quite odd behavior, isn't it?" Mikey Mark asked from behind me. I wasn't even aware of how long he had been there.

"What she was going to ask was 'what if I told you that there was someone or something making the decision for you?'." He explained.

I thought through the days events then began working my way back to my earliest memories. They were right. I would choose to do something, then suddenly, it was like some foreign being seized control of my actions and forced me to do something else! What was going on? Did I even have control over my own life? Could I resist these foreign controllers? Did I have a choice? Evidently, these questions were written on my face because Mikey was looking at me sympathetically.

"I know how you feel," he said. "We all felt that way when we made the discovery. Every once in awhile, whoever is controlling us slips and loses focus on us to control someone else. In these moments, we are truly free to make our own actions. It's the only way that you and I can talk about this right now."

"H-how did you figure this out?" I stammered.

"John Jones actually discovered it. He learned to tell when he was in control and began to look for those moments to tell the rest of us. We children then began to do experiments. The truth is, we do have free will from time to time but it is rare."

Suddenly, I had the overwhelming desire to go home so I abruptly ended our conversation, got in my car and went home. I called my B.F.F., Atticus Zhang, invited him over. We did our homework, watched TV, I trained him on the treadmill, mom called us to dinner, then we went through the mundane list of other social interactions until it was finally time for him to go home because of our curfew. Thinking back now, I am completely certain that I had no choice in an of it. In fact, though I enjoy Atticus's company, he wouldn't be my idea of a B.F.F. He's fun and all but I have more common interests with Terrance Turrell than I do with Atticus.

After this, I went to my bed, feeling that odd sensation of freedom that comes over me from time to time and it dawned on me. That was the sign! It was a sense that we truly were free to do whatever we wanted in this world! So, though I was tired, I laid on my bed and daydreamed about the days events and decided to write this story. Suddenly, the freedom feeling was gone and I was forced to go to bed, but I didn't mind. I now knew a bit more about how my world works and will learn even more in time...yes, in time I will know.
Post edited by PenguinFoop on

Comments

• Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
    This was a great story about how the sims might perceive their lives*Chuckles* You should continue it!
  • PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Thanks. :D I got the idea when I had my teen genius Sim start a non-fiction story.
  • DinosaurCaydieDinosaurCaydie Posts: 35 Member
    This was really funny. You should continue it! :)
    tumblr_n84918qXjV1qjp8d7o1_500.gif
  • LavieGirlLavieGirl Posts: 43 Member
    Great story! You could have the narrator play "Sims Forever" and start some conspiracies about that.(Just an idea) ;)
    Thanks for the input everyone!

I am planning Chapter 2, "Tuesday" now.

@LavieGirl , what is "Sims Forever?" Is it an expansion pack, a separate game or what?
  • peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    Nice story! I like how you slowly emphasize your main point and don't rush things.
    Sims forever is a video game sims play in the sims 4 on the computer. The footage of the game is from the sims 1.

Some ideas for your story
    1. The puppeteer (person controlling the sims), tries to turn Jeremiah Marx into a bad boy. He tries to resist at first, struggles with the conflicts it causes (losing her friends, etc.), maybe eventually he starts to actually enjoy being evil, and his other friends try to snap her out of it .

2. Jeremiah has a near death experience due to the puppeteer (he almost drowns, dies in a fire, or gets electrocuted.) Causes him distress, and he stars going into aspiration failure without his control. Alienates some of his friends who don't understand what he went through, and thinks he has gone crazy.

3. Jeremiah is forced into a love relationship with Atticus Zhang by the puppeteer. He is actually in love with someone else (Sarah Slipperknot), but cant do anything about it. Or maybe the puppeteer tries to make things between Jeremiah and Sarah happen to fast, and he gets freaked out.

4. The puppeteer gets bored of Jeremiah and his friends, or has fallen in love with a new sim they created, and Jeremiah and his friends feel lost and chaotic without the influence of the puppeteer.

Hope these ideas help
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
    edited November 2014
    @peterskywalker

Interesting. Some of your suggestions are already on the list, others, possibly later on. The love situation (without giving away details) is what I'm currently working on.

Edited due to formatting issues.
    @PenguinFoop It's a game on the computer in the Sims 4 where the sims would be playing the Sims 1.
    Tuesday, Week 6, I awoke at promptly 7 a.m. I went to the bathroom, took a shower and brushed my teeth. Then, I went to the fridge and found no leftovers. Having no time to make breakfast and guessing mom was in bed, I just replicated grilled salmon and ate,

Time for school, the bus was here and my niece, Jodie, had just finished breakfast and spun herself into her everyday outfit then ran out the door. Me? I had the urge to get on the bus but suddenly, the urge went away and I was compelled to get in my car, the Margaret Vaguester. Did I mention I'm rich?

This is my family; My dad (Wyatt Marx ; Elder), my mom (Cheryl Marx ; Elder), my brother (Paul Marx ; Young Adult), my sister-in-law (Marie Idaho-Marx ; Adult) and my niece (Jodie ; Child).

My dad is a retired Leader of the (not-so) Free World. Notice the (not-so)? Well, as I've begun to realize, our lives are not as free as I'd originally thought. I haven't told anyone in my family yet though. However, I digress, my dad started out as a business man when he was a young adult. He quickly made his way to the top. Then, after realizing that the only place to go from the top was back down, he decided to quit his job to spend time with the family. I wasn't born yet. After I was born and became a child, he decided he wanted to be a politician (he'd gone through something he called 'a midlife crisis' I think). One thing that did not change about him was that he is a party animal to the extreme! So, he is extremely popular. In fact, he told me once that his lifetime wish was to be Super Popular, which he had achieved before adulthood.

Mom is a celebrated Five-Star Chef, which was her lifetime wish. She too had achieved her wish as a young adult. After making her way all of the way to the top, she got bored and decided to quit her job. She never took another one though. As a natural green thumb, she can grow anything which made her natural cooking ability so much easier. So our garden has one of every kind of fruit-producing plant in it, two money trees and an omni-plant. Mom is also a neat-freak so to keep her happy, the rest of us try to resist the temptation to clean up after ourselves because we know it gives her great pleasure to clean the house. She also loves to fish so we have an enormous pond in our back yard that's backed up right against our swimming pool. It's stocked with a variety of fish. Our most prized fish in it is the deathfish. Mom taught all of us the secret to catching it.

Paul is an astronaut already, though he is a young adult. He works one day a week but works from 5 a.m. to 1 a.m. so when he gets off work, he usually goes straight to bed. He enjoys "borrowing" from the neighbors, fixing things, exercising and challenging criminals as well as standing up to any other threat. The best thing about him is that he's lucky enough to get away with it. His great schedule means that he has plenty of time to collect the money from our businesses in town (if it can be owned, we own it).

Marie, ah Marie, my dear sweet sister-in-law. She was married to my brother before I was even born. She's a Sports Legend which is ironic because she'll honestly tell you that when she and Paul met, she was a big loser that just couldn't catch a break until she won Paul's heart. After they were married, she too went through this mid-life crisis thing and suddenly everything changed about her personality. She recently also was struck by karma and had a complete beauty makeover. Now, I have to admit that she is super hot! Not that I would be into her or anything. She's my sister!

Then comes my niece. She is such a sweetie-cakes-I-wanna-pinch-your-nose, doll baby!!! I can't wait to see what she does with her life. So far, I know she is brave; like her dad, athletic; like her mom and dad and loves the outdoors; like her grandmother.

So, now that you've met my family and understand that we have wealth, it's sort of funny to know that I am the only one that has a car. Why I have the car and nobody else does, I don't know but I do and I love my car!!!

Anyway, let's get back to Tuesday's events. So I went to school. My morning had been set up with my usual routine so I didn't have time to really think about the previous day's events until my trip to school. As I sped down the road, driving right through the bus as usual, I was struck by an odd thought. Why was it that I could drive through the bus without any problems but couldn't walk through walls? I decided I'd try it when I got to school. Little did I know that walking through walls would have been far better than what actually happened that day.

Before first hour, I met up with my Kooky-Bear. Yes, that's my nickname for her. I love her so much that sometimes I feel sick to my stomach because I just don't know if I can contain so much love or if it's even fair for me to try. She's everything to me. When she and I are around each other, my heart usually beats faster than when I've jogged all the way home from the morgue where I work.

Sarah and I kissed, as we often do and then we hugged and I gave her a massage. I love caressing her slender shoulders and running my hands up and down her back. I also think I love feeling her body pressed against mine in an amorous hug more than when our lips touch in a kiss. If the sun quit burning tomorrow, I'd be okay with that as long as I had my Kooky-Bear in my arms. And if you think I'm pouring it on thick, then you've never felt the way I feel. It's all genuine.

Terrence showed up while Kooky-Bear and I were going through our morning ritual. Usually, I wouldn't have noticed him while with her but after yesterday's events, I was acutely aware of many things. The comparison I'd made between him and Atticus didn't hurt either. I kissed Sarah once again and told her I'd meet her in class. It's funny, I know my feelings toward her are real because I felt truly free the whole time I was with her. I didn't feel controlled or compelled at all.

Terrence was about to go into the building when I hurried over and stopped him. "Hey, T, are you feeling alright?" I asked out of genuine concern.

"I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" He answered with a smile. The great thing about Terrence is that he is one of the friendliest people I've met, which is another trait he and I share.

"Well, yesterday morning, you were so tired that you slept in the library and so hungry that you ate a raw jellyfish in first hour." I reminded him.

"Yeah, I'd been up all night spe..." He turned and went into the building.

With a sigh of resignation, I followed him.

Now what I'm about to tell you should not have come as any surprise to me since I knew that Terrence, who's one of my best friends, and Sarah didn't get along for some reason. I was still in talk to friends mode and apparently, he was too because we completely blew off what the teacher was saying...hmm, do we even have a teacher? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Anyway, so Terrence turned to me and with a serious look he said, "you should break up with Sarah."

My heart dropped. "What," I asked through a constricted throat, my voice a barely audible croaking whisper.

"I just think you should." Then, he leaned over and kissed me. I wanted to push him away but I was too surprised. Then it happened, that feeling of control. I leaned over and kissed him back. 'What am I doing,' I thought to myself while we were kissing. 'Kooky-Bear, I'm so sorry for this!' Tears streaked down my face.

Before long, we were making out, hugging, kissing and all kinds of things that I'd only ever done with my Kooky-Bear. I knew beyond a doubt that I had no control. This wasn't what I'd wanted. I thought he and I should be B.F.F.'s not boyfriends! I wanted so desperately to go hide in Sarah's embrace but I couldn't. I also knew that I could never call her or anyone else Kooky-Bear again. I couldn't do anything except what I was compelled to do and I knew that my day and probably my life would be forever ruined.

First hour was up. I knew that I was still not free to make my own choices so I didn't want to even go to second hour class where I knew that Sarah would be waiting for me, but I had no choice. I went through the door and there she was. She smiled so big when she saw me. I guess she noticed that something was different because her smile disappeared as I approached her. I knew that the look on my face had to have been grim as I was compelled forward.

"Cuddle-Bunny, what's..."

I cut her off by placing my fingers on her lips. Through tear-blurred eyes, I watched her face as the words of doom were forced out of my lips. "Sarah," I croaked. "I need to...break...up...with...you." I was openly crying and didn't even care. If I'd been given the free choice between doing this and cutting my own beating heart from my chest, I would have chosen cutting out my heart because they were both the same choice.

"But, why," she whispered, tears freely running down her cheeks.

I wanted to explain everything, to tell her that it wasn't my choice, that I was being controlled by some foreign being, that she was my everything. In the end, I was forced to turn away from her and let it all end then and there. Secretly, I cursed the Controller, whoever or whatever it was.

The rest of the day went by in a mind-numbing, miserable blur. I could think of nothing nor was I even aware of what I was doing. I just wanted to crawl in bed and hope this nightmare would end. Finally, after whatever else I did that day, I was compelled to bed and I slept.
    Outline for the next chapter.

III. Wednesday: Call in the Clowns
    _____1. Not waking from the nightmare
    _____2. My family are clowns
    _____3. The Terrence incident
    Wow....No words can describe my feelings right now. Except, great chapter! Did not see that coming.
    Wednesday, Week 6, when I awoke, I was assaulted by a flood of memories from the day before and I just wanted to escape. It was pretty obvious that I was not waking from this nightmare any time soon but I was compelled to perform my morning ritual once more.

After the morning ritual, it was once again time for school. I was numb. I thought that the day could not possibly get any worse than the day before. Sure enough, I was wrong.

I got out of my car and put it in my pocket then went to class. My mode had switched once again to work hard so I didn't have time to worry or focus on anything but school work. I was vaguely aware during first hour that Terrence kept trying to talk to me. I was relieved that my mindset wouldn't allow me to respond.

During second hour, my heart flipped then sank again when I saw Sarah. She was sitting with her friends. Her shoulders were heaving as she cried. Her friends could do nothing to console her but they had no trouble staring at me with seething rage. Still in work hard mode, I could do nothing to help.

Then finally, I felt that blessed relief! I was free again. I stood and hurried over toward Sarah but slowed to a halt when Theresa Terriblename stepped in between us. She had been consoling Sarah and now, she was making it very apparent that I was not allowed near my Koo...Sarah again.

I tried to explain but before I could get a single word out, my throat would seize up. How could I explain it? How could I make them understand? Frustration and bitter rage welled up inside me.

I lifted my face toward the sky. “Is this what you want for me,” I screamed, not sure if the Controllers could hear me. “You've ruined my life! The least you could do is spare Sarah! What has she ever done to deserve this?” I waved my hands in the air then dropped to my knees. Before long, Terrence, who didn't even belong in this hour with me, was kneeling by my side with a comforting hand on my shoulder.

Bitterly, I shrugged him off. Everyone in the room was looking at me like I'd either lost my mind or was trying to make them feel sorry for me even though I was obviously the bad guy in their minds. I stood and ran, Outside, I pulled my car out of my pocket and sped home.

After putting my car back in its parking place, I walked quickly toward the house. I passed mom, her flame orange hair blowing in the wind, as she continued fishing. She didn't even seem to notice me. I hurried upstairs, past my dad who was sitting at his desk working on his latest book. His blue-haired head barely moving as he worked.

When I reached my room, I opened the door to find Paul and Marie relaxing on my bed watching TV. Paul had hot-pink hair and Marie's was purple. I stared at them for a moment. They were both wearing face paint. Paul's was painted like a clown while Marie was wearing a unicorn and rainbow on her face. Then I realized that they were both wearing very loud mismatched clothes as well. It dawned on me that both dad and mom had similar changes. “Oh no, “ I muttered, knowing what was coming next.

Sure enough, it was my turn. I was compelled first toward the mirror to change my appearance. Now, I have always loved my hair. It is black with deep blue highlights and cropped short. I was afraid of what humiliation was awaiting me in front of that mirror but I had no choice.

When it was all over, my hair was a rainbow of pink, blue, yellow and green. It was also spiked up in a massive Mohawk. Then the face paint...stars, really? Does that even sound like it would fit my style?

Next, I was compelled to the dresser. Stripes on my shirt...a blue shirt with pink stripes. I shook my head. The pants were worse, plaid, which was bad enough with a striped shirt but the shorts were purple and green! How could I possibly go out in public like this? Ugh. The shoes somehow matched the whole clown ensemble. Misery, my name has become Misery.

After leaving the dressing room, which I can never seem to find on my own and magically opens when the dresser is opened, I heard the doorbell. Once again, compelled, I hurried down to find Terrence standing there looking miserable. I felt that sense of freedom again and was about to act but instead, everything just washed over me again and I fell to my knees right outside the door and hung my head. My mind was once more filled with a deep sorrow and strong rage.

“Jeremiah, I...” I looked up to see Terrence looking at me from a few feet away. The rage was still obviously apparent on my face because he stopped talking and took a step back.

I dropped my head again. “Why did you do this to me,” I asked in a whisper. “You tore my world apart.”

“I am so sorry. I don't even know what came over me.” I could hear him take a hesitant shuffling step forward. “I am so confused right now.”

I glanced up in time to see him sink to the ground a few feet from me. “I've never even considered you like that nor have I ever wanted to come between you and Sarah. It, it was like some uncontrollable urge came over me and I was powerless to resist.” He bowed his head with his hands clasped together in his lap. “What have I done?” He asked himself.

“It's...not...your...fault,” forced out, trying hard to controlle the anger. “There is something...”

“I told Sarah that you didn't want to break up with her. I told her that I suggested it and explained that I don't even know why I did.”

My heart skipped. 'Did she believe him,' I asked myself. 'Could I be so lucky?' I stared at him expectantly.

“I don't know if she believed me or not,” he answered my private question. “What's wrong with me? Why would I do this to my best...” He stood up and walked away.

I dropped my head again and just sat there. I knew that this feeling of freedom would not last forever but even having it wasn't enough to make anything right and I just didn't have the ability to even move, let alone try. Finally, I was compelled to get up and go do my homework.

Whether Terrence stayed or left, I couldn't tell you but I didn't see him again that day. Finally, I went to bed and slept.
    Next Chapter:

IV. Thursday: Conspiracy Theorists Unite
    ____1. John Jones's Secret Place
    ____2. Coming Together
    ____3. Breaking the Rules
    Another great chapter . :) It was hilarious when the family changed into clowns. It made me regret making my sims wear the most mismatched clothes I could find in CAS. Can't wait to find out what the "controller" would do next.
    Lol thanks! weird, I can only "like" or "lol" a comment. funny.
    Thursday, Week 6, I woke up again at 7:00 AM and didn't move. I felt that sense of freedom again and though I desperately needed a shower and to use the bathroom, I decided that I would do absolutely nothing until compelled. I had a reason for this though. I wanted to know how long it would take for the Controller to notice. Sadly, it didn't take long and I was into my morning routine once more with one exception; transportation.

I felt that freedom again just as the school bus came so I ran to it before I could lose my free will. John Jones was on the bus. He smirked, “nice look” then moved over to sit beside me. We're both free at the moment it seems, so let's make this quick.

“I want to talk to you more but in private so meet me at the Moonlight Falls Fishing Hole. Do everything you can to resist any other temptations. We'll meet after school because that seems to be when the Controllers are less likely to focus on us for some reason.”

“The Controllers? There are more than one,” I asked a bit nervous now.

“Yes, every Sim has a Controller but one Controller can have many Sims,” he explained.

We arrived at the school and went inside. Terrence was waiting for me in first hour. He didn't immediately approach me but I could tell he was hoping we could talk. I sat down beside him, forcing myself into talk to friends mode.

“Hey Terrence, I um, wanted to apologize for yesterday. I know for a fact that it wasn't your fault anymore than it was mine,” I explained.

“What do you mean? Who's fault was it?”

“You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you but listen, anytime you have an urge to do something that you don't understand, try to resist it. Meet me at Moonlight Falls Fishing Hole after school. I want you to meet someone.”

“Okay,” he agreed.

Second hour, I saw Sarah again. She was sitting in her usual spot and flirting with Herger Monroe. My heart stopped and I was angry with her for betraying me. But I brushed the anger aside, reminding myself that she too was being controlled. I sat down to work and slipped back into the comfortable work hard mode so I wouldn't have to think about her with someone else. A single tear dripped onto my paper.

After school, I ran into Terrence outside. “Hey,” I greeted him. “Remember what I said.”

“I'm heading to the fishing hole n...” His face went blank and he started for the bus.

“No,” I shouted. Grabbing him by the arm, I spun him around, fighting the urge to get on the bus myself. “You have to resist.”

“I-I have to go home,” he argued with no trace of emotion. “I-I have to go...”

I shook him. “No! You have to listen to me.”

'I am free. I am free.' I kept saying to myself while fighting both him and the Controller. Then, I did something that surprised us both. I kissed him. I could feel the control being broken in both of us as his mindlessness began to fade away and I was no longer being compelled to do anything.

After we had kissed, he looked at me and smiled. “I have to admit, I never thought of kissing you before Tuesday but now, well, all I can say is that you are a great kisser.”

I smiled. “Well, um, you're not so bad yourself.” We both chuckled.

I grabbed his hand and took off running for the street, dragging him with me. Somewhere behind us, someone asked, “how are they doing that? I want to run AND hold hands at the same time!” I smiled and we ran on.

I reached into my pocket to get my car but remembered that I had taken the bus this morning. We were forced to take a cab to the fishing hole.

We got out of the cab at the fishing hole pathway and I started walking. Terrence grabbed my hand. “I want to do that again,” he explained.

“Do what,” I asked with a chuckle, not sure of what he was referring.

“You know, hold hands and run. I don't know how we did it but it was fun. Let's do it again. Can we do it with anyone or does it have to be someone we've kissed or are romantically interested in?”

I froze. Romantic interest? Terrence and me? He was right. It was there all along. Ever since the first kiss, I'd felt drawn to him. But I was still in love with Sarah.

I noticed him looking at me, so I answered. “I don't know. I'd never done it before now.” I grabbed his hand and we ran down to the water.

Looking around for John Jones, I became nervous that he wasn't there. “Oh no, “ I muttered, “his Controller must have gotten him.”

I felt compelled to go home and was just about to do so when John Jones and Mikey Mark came down the path. John walked over to us and said, “I see you brought a friend.”

“Yes, “ I replied. “He's aware something is wrong too but he doesn't quite know what yet.” I then explained how entangled we were.

John, who seemed ages above child, had us follow him to the old boarded up mine shaft not far from the fishing hole. I'd been there before, collecting rocks and seeds but I'd never been compelled to enter it, nor had I even considered it. Now, we were going in and it felt weird.

“In here,” he began once we were all in and settled, “we are truly free.”

“I lied to you on the bus. I said all Sims have a Controller but there is one exception, me. I haven't had a controller for years.”

“You haven't?” I was stunned.

“Long before you were born, I came to the fishing hole, compelled by my Controller. Once here, he or she must have forgotten about me because I was left to wander here. I fished for food to survive and just hung out until one day I really noticed this place. After walking past it several times, I decided to come in.” He smiled, “then I stayed in for three days. I truly felt free. There was no more compelling. The only thing I can figure is that my Controller couldn't find me so just gave up.”

“Since then, I've gone throughout the neighborhood watching the interactions of other Sims but didn't feel any desire to approach them. I was satisfied with just being a voyeur. It was fun for me until I noticed that some Sims had become fully dependent on their Controllers and had lost all free will. That's when I went back to school and started telling the other children.”

“You two, however, are the only teens that know about this and as far as I know, and I know a lot, no adults are aware of it either. But I want to change that.”

“How can we help,” I asked when I was sure he'd stopped talking.

“Just being aware of it is a huge start.” He stood and walked over to the entrance just as Haley Havacrush came in with what seemed to be every child in the neighborhood, yes, including my niece, Jodie.

“We're all here,” she said by way of greeting John.

“Good,” he answered. “Here is where it gets fun.”

For more than an hour, he described his plan to us. It was very strange to have this conversation and I could tell by Terrence's expression that he was even more captivated than I was. At the end of the discussion, we all left and went our own ways.

“This is crazy,” Terrence said once we were alone again. “I knew something was wrong. I knew that I wasn't always in control of my own actions but I had no idea about all of this!”

Then, the Controller came and compelled me home. I left Terrence and walked to the road. On the outside, I seemed very amiable but inside I was smiling. This really was going to get fun. The taxi showed up to take me home but as soon as I entered the car, I told the driver to take me to the cemetery instead.

My Controller canceled the order and ordered me home again. I got out of the cab and into another one and headed for the beach. My Controller tried again and this time, I headed to the pool.

My cellphone rang so I hopped out of the cab to answer it. It was Terrence. He was laughing hysterically. “Hey,” he exclaimed, “this is awesome!”

I couldn't help but join in on the laughter. “I know! My controller must be going crazy just about now. It's great!”

I was compelled to hang up and go home. This time, I headed for Central Park and made it. Terrence was already there. He ran over and hugged me. “It's so fun breaking the rules like this!”

I suddenly felt the urge to kiss him again but this time, it was different. I didn't feel compelled in the same way as earlier. This time, it seemed somehow...internal. I resisted anyway.

My cellphone rang again. It was mom telling me to come home immediately. Her voice seemed frantic so I told Terrence goodbye and left.

When I got home, things were in shambles. There were puddles all over the place where my family must have messed themselves. Everyone was standing around scratching and sniffing themselves and crying out for a shower. Pizza boxes were scattered throughout the lot and most of them were starting to smell.

Everyone would stop sniffing, smelling and crying out long enough to start weeping about how lonely they were or bored or stressed or something. It was as if by distracting my Controller, he'd neglected their needs and they were just not capable of doing anything on their own anymore. What had I done?

My cellphone rang again. “Hello,” I answered.

“Hey,” Terrence replied in a sober voice. He didn't have to say anything else.

“Yours too,” I asked him.

“Yeah. What do we do?”

I noticed mom then dad then Paul each heading for each of our bathrooms. Fortunately, Marie was at work so she wasn't affected like this and Jodie had been with me so I was fairly sure she would be okay. I was compelled to study so I told Terrence “for now, we let our Controllers handle things.”

I studied, then went to bed.

Outside my window, just as I was dozing off I would have sworn I heard a voice say “it's going as well as we had planned. Soon, we'll know for sure.” I drifted off to sleep.
    5. Friday: My Surreal Life
    _____1. Mom's warm smile
    _____2. Dad wants to bond
    _____3. Jodie meets a dreadful friend while swimming
    edited November 2014
    "I grabbed his hand and took off running for the street, dragging him with me. Somewhere behind us, someone asked, “how are they doing that? I want to run AND hold hands at the same time!” I smiled and we ran on." "I reached into my pocket to get my car but remembered that I had taken the bus this morning."
    These lines cracked me up.
    I could feel the frustration of the controller when Jeremiah and Terrance went to different places instead of going home.
    My reaction to the last line: :o
    I think it goes without saying that this is another great chapter ;)
  • Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
    *Grins and major thumbs up to @PenguinFoop!* You are writing some seriously good stuff here, for a Sims story. I'm guessing it's "set" in the Sims 3? Only thing I can think of that would make it better, is if you had pictures from gameplay, to go along with your story. But that aside, I'm seriously enjoying reading each update, and I hope you continue with them, thank you for sharing it with us!
    Yes, it is set in Sims 3 but unfortunately, it's on the Xbox 360 so no pics. :(

Thank you all for commenting. The truth is, I wasn't even planning on going past the very first post because I figured there would be some chuckles and Lol's but the positive feedback I've gotten so far is really inspiring me to continue.

Thanks again! And @LavieGirl your reaction to the last line of the last chapter was pretty much my own reaction. I never even know what the next chapter is going to be about until the previous chapter is finished. ;)
    Friday, Week 6, I remembered the bad shape my family was in last night so I really wanted to go check on them. Of course, my Controller had other plans. Worried about the consequences, I allowed myself to be compelled into my morning ritual. To be honest, I really couldn't think of a better ritual anyway.

After showering and brushing my teeth, I headed down stairs to replicate my breakfast. At the foot of the stairs, I heard my mom call us all to breakfast instead. This was new. Usually, except on Mondays, Jodie and I are the first ones awake. We're actually gone most mornings before anyone else got out of bed.

I went into the kitchen and grabbed my plate. Everyone was getting their plates when I arrived. Relieved to see them looking better, I sat down beside Paul and we began eating. That's when I noticed the clowns were gone! I was the only one still dressed like one.

We chatted lightly and really enjoyed each other's company. This was the first time we had all sat down at a meal together ever.

After breakfast, the bus arrived but before I could get on it or get in my car, mom called me into another room. “How did you sleep,” she asked.

It seemed an appropriate question but I knew it was just a question on a list. I answered anyway. “I slept okay. I'm sorry about what happened to you guys last night.” I was certain she wouldn't even know how it could have been my fault but she surprised me.

She leaned over close and whispered, “be careful. The Pup...” she cut herself off and went to clean the house. All I could do was watch her leave, feeling even more confused than ever. 'The Pup? What was that?' My breakfast suddenly felt very heavy. Resisting the sudden urge to get in my car, I went after mom instead.

She saw me, smiled warmly and barely shook her head no then went on about her cleaning. I got the urge again to get in my car so I left for school.

School was completely uneventful. Terrence seemed very tame, almost catatonic. Sarah and Herger were now an exclusive couple but I was strangely okay with it. I looked at the front of the class and found out that in fact, we don't have a teacher.

After school, I went home. I was compelled to do my homework so I went upstairs to my desk. Dad was sitting at his desk when I went by, his head bent over his laptop while he worked on his latest book. I saw mom from my window as she worked in the garden. Paul and Marie were off somewhere, probably the gym and Jodie hadn't made it home from school yet. I sat at my desk and as usual, breezed right through my homework.

“Hey son, “ my dad said from the door when I was finished. “How about we pass the ball for awhile?”

“Yeah, sure, dad.” I got up and followed him outside. Now, I don't know about other Sims but when we pass ball in our family, usually there are more than a few bruises. Sometimes, we throw the ball so hard that all the catcher can do is just curl into a standing fetal position and brace for impact. But it's fun anyway.

After we'd finished, dad walked over to me. “How was your...”

“It was fine, “ I answered his half-formed question.

He looked at me disapprovingly, “Listen son, there are some things you need to understand. Your mom and I came from a different neighborhood in a different town. When I met her, I was living on an old haunted movie lot. I can't really remember its name though. But the point is, we've been around for quite some time and have seen some very strange things.” He paused for a minute. “We both have a feeling that you've also noticed some things that just haven't quite made a lot of sense to you.”

My head was swimming. They knew? They knew all along? Really?

“You will be surprised to know that most of us elders came from this other town and all of us will tell you, be careful with the Puppeteers.” With that, he walked away.

I was completely frozen for quite some time. Finally, I was brought back to my senses by a splash from the pool. I looked and saw Jodie swimming. She didn't look like she was particularly enjoying herself but she seemed determined to stay in the water as long as she could. I watched her swim. After dad's revelation, I couldn't really think of what else to do. The Puppeteers, that must have been what mom was trying to warn me about this morning.

After a couple of minutes, I realized that there was a shadow standing beside the pool watching Jodie as well. I was filled with dread. The Grim Reaper was here! I wanted to scream, my throat was too tight. I wanted to run to Jodie, my legs were numb. All I could do was watch in horror as my sweet niece sank to the bottom.

That's when the wailing started. Mom and dad both came running and I was finally free from my paralysis so I joined them. We ran over to the pool but there was nothing we could do. Her remains were already beside the pool and she was shaking hands with the Grim Reaper.

I searched through my pockets but there were no deathflowers. I tried to tap into our Karma Powers to invoke Divine Intervention but I knew I couldn't do it. That was strictly the call of the Controller and somehow, I don't think Jodie was exactly on his or her good side at the moment.

I joined the wailing.
    Looks like mom and dad are being really vague with the warnings they're giving...I sense some foreshadowing for the future...(then again, I'm not a good fortune teller :) )
    Poor Jodie :'( I get the feeling that her death was not "accidental" *cough*controller*cough*
    VI. Saturday: Where Do I Go From Here?
    _____1. Dealing with death
    _____2. A warning from beyond
    _____3. Moving Forward
  • justletmedownldjustletmedownld Posts: 63 Member
    Wow, good job PenguinFoop, really enjoying your story.