Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We care! Supporting Simmers going through hard times.

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello @nightowl :) It is nice that you posted here and that you wished people well. Letting people know that you are thinking of them can bring light into a day that feels a bit dark. Just to know that someone is thinking of you can bring encouragement and gives strength to cope with what the day holds.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Hope all are doing better, or at least hanging in there.

Just got in (shortly after 7:30pm my time) and had a WONDERFUL time in the Wine Country. Did some champagne tasting and husband spilled sparkling red wine all over my jeans when he knocked his glass over, but at least it's fall so I wasn't wearing white! Both of wish we'd made it a 3 day trip because we had so much more we wanted to do; if we don't do it earlier, we'll make a longer trip for our 24th wedding anniversary in April. Unfortunately the gallery we wanted to visit to see a special photo exhibition (photos taken by the rock singer Graham Nash over the last 40 years) was closed due to emergency repairs (may have been related to the earthquake that hit Napa a couple months ago), so we may make an early day trip sometime in the next couple of months. Also got to touch base with a good friend from SF Giants fandom who owns a wine shop up there; we picked up a couple new champagne flutes and some drink coasters. Had some rain showers but they were all overnight when we were asleep. Most important, I think we rediscovered ourselves as a married couple; if we can get to a decent routine we should be able to do more activities together to maintain our own relationship while he keeps up with his responsibilities to his mom and brother.

Now about to have a light dinner (stopped for sandwiches on the way home) and get to bed at a reasonable time so I can start on that routine I've got planned and still have some time for Simming in the morning.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    JuanaJuana Posts: 840 Member
    I am thankful for good health.

That being said my husband was laid off the end of September, he got a good severance package, but it still has me very nervous. I know he will find something, this isn't the first time we've been through this, but I have had some sleepless nights and he's taken up cigar smoking again (expensive habit).

He is in the IT field at the CIO level, so no telling where we may live next. Since we've been together we've moved 3 times. I haven't worked since 2009, I call myself retired (just sounds better than unemployed). Where we live I would have to drive for over an hour for a job in my field. The only jobs in our town are minimum wage and part time, so he told me my job was taking care of the house and our 6 cats.

Maybe our next move will be back to a more metro area so I can go back to work.
    Lots and lots of IT careers in the northeast. Might be overqualified for them though.
  • Options
    Hope all are doing better, or at least hanging in there.

Just got in (shortly after 7:30pm my time) and had a WONDERFUL time in the Wine Country. Did some champagne tasting and husband spilled sparkling red wine all over my jeans when he knocked his glass over, but at least it's fall so I wasn't wearing white! Both of wish we'd made it a 3 day trip because we had so much more we wanted to do; if we don't do it earlier, we'll make a longer trip for our 24th wedding anniversary in April. Unfortunately the gallery we wanted to visit to see a special photo exhibition (photos taken by the rock singer Graham Nash over the last 40 years) was closed due to emergency repairs (may have been related to the earthquake that hit Napa a couple months ago), so we may make an early day trip sometime in the next couple of months. Also got to touch base with a good friend from SF Giants fandom who owns a wine shop up there; we picked up a couple new champagne flutes and some drink coasters. Had some rain showers but they were all overnight when we were asleep. Most important, I think we rediscovered ourselves as a married couple; if we can get to a decent routine we should be able to do more activities together to maintain our own relationship while he keeps up with his responsibilities to his mom and brother.

Now about to have a light dinner (stopped for sandwiches on the way home) and get to bed at a reasonable time so I can start on that routine I've got planned and still have some time for Simming in the morning.

Hello @stilljustme2 :) I am glad that you and your husband had a very nice time in the Wine Country. It sounds like it was a special time of enjoying being together doing nice things. It is great that you were able to catch up with your friend. I hope that you will be able to take a day trip soon to visit the Gallery that was closed.
  • Options
    I am thankful for good health.

That being said my husband was laid off the end of September, he got a good severance package, but it still has me very nervous. I know he will find something, this isn't the first time we've been through this, but I have had some sleepless nights and he's taken up cigar smoking again (expensive habit).

He is in the IT field at the CIO level, so no telling where we may live next. Since we've been together we've moved 3 times. I haven't worked since 2009, I call myself retired (just sounds better than unemployed). Where we live I would have to drive for over an hour for a job in my field. The only jobs in our town are minimum wage and part time, so he told me my job was taking care of the house and our 6 cats.

Maybe our next move will be back to a more metro area so I can go back to work.

Not sure where you are now but lots of companies here in the Bay Area and some of them are actually starting to hire again. Hope something turns up soon. I'm basically retired due to health issues, and my husband retired in 2011 when he turned 55 so he'd have more time to help his mom out (he was a bus driver here for almost 30 years so got a decent pension).
  • Options
    Hello to everyone :) Sending a colourful rainbow to everyone! The yellow represents the warmth of a smile which helps a sad heart , the blue represents bluebells that are ringing out a comforting tune, violet represents a fragile violet flower that brings much beauty in its delicateness, green to represent soft grass for you to walk down life's pathway when you are feeling tired and they all come together as a rainbow, which needs sunshine and rain for it to appear. In the midst of tears, the comfort of the sunshine of friends can produce a rainbow in your heart. :)
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello to everyone :) Sending a colourful rainbow to everyone! The yellow represents the warmth of a smile which helps a sad heart , the blue represents bluebells that are ringing out a comforting tune, violet represents a fragile violet flower that brings much beauty in its delicateness, green to represent soft grass for you to walk down life's pathway when you are feeling tired and they all come together as a rainbow, which needs sunshine and rain for it to appear. In the midst of tears, the comfort of the sunshine of friends can produce a rainbow in your heart. :)

This is just absolutely beautiful!

• Options
    Bear31Bear31 Posts: 3,412 Member
    rosemow wrote: »

This is just absolutely beautiful!

@charlotteprice........food fight? *looks hopeful with puppy dog eyes*
  • Options
    lynnbrownlynnbrown Posts: 73 Member
    Just a little note to say I hope everyone is having a wonderful Saturday. I am not an elegant speaker, and sometimes fumble for the right words, but if anyone here ever needs someone to talk to, I will listen. Going through a hard time, and feeling lonely can be a difficult combination. So, here's a hand reaching out to you if you need it. Sending comforting thoughts to all my fellow simmers out there. ***hugs***
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    To whoever is going through a hard time. I am going to take a moment right now and think positive thoughts so I can send out positive energy. Don't you ever feel no one cares or that no one can relate. We do and we can.

Many of us play the sims to create our own little world so we can escape harsher realities. We have much in common.

We are here if you need to reach out.
  • Options
    An online friend of mine (from a hockey forum where I hang out) just found out his brother died suddenly; he'd been dead for 2 weeks before he was discovered in bed -- sounds like someone may have called the police to do a welfare check.

If you've got friends or relatives who live alone, make sure to check on them regularly, even just a call to say "Howdy". And if you can't get hold of them it doesn't hurt to have someone nearby check up on them. And if you're alone, reach out to others this holiday season and make sure they know you're okay -- or for help if you're hurting.
  • Options
    To whoever is going through a hard time. I am going to take a moment right now and think positive thoughts so I can send out positive energy. Don't you ever feel no one cares or that no one can relate. We do and we can.

Many of us play the sims to create our own little world so we can escape harsher realities. We have much in common.

We are here if you need to reach out.

Thankyou very much for your encouraging words of support to people who are going through a hard time @DerekJohnson.

• Options
    An online friend of mine (from a hockey forum where I hang out) just found out his brother died suddenly; he'd been dead for 2 weeks before he was discovered in bed -- sounds like someone may have called the police to do a welfare check.

If you've got friends or relatives who live alone, make sure to check on them regularly, even just a call to say "Howdy". And if you can't get hold of them it doesn't hurt to have someone nearby check up on them. And if you're alone, reach out to others this holiday season and make sure they know you're okay -- or for help if you're hurting.

I am so sorry to hear about the passing away of the brother of your online friend. It would have been an awful shock for him.

Thankyou for posting about making sure that we keep checking on friends and family members that live on their own, to make sure that they are going okay. Also, for those who live alone to reach out if they need help. We need to care for and look out for those who live alone.

• Options

Those are excellent suggestions.

I am sorry for your loss. :(
  • Options
    SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    Reading through this thread has helped lift my spirits. Thank you @rosemow for creating it.

This past week has been very stressful and painful for my family and me. Exactly a week ago around this exact time, my step-mother went to sleep. Little did we know it would be a permanent sleep. She had a stroke while she was sleeping and slipped into a coma. On Sunday, after she had been asleep for over 12 hours, my dad and younger sister got worried. It's not like my stepmom to sleep that long. They tried waking her and couldn't get her to wake up so they called the ambulance.

When she arrived at the ER, her blood pressure was 242/161 (no that is not a typo). The nurse said she had never seen a blood pressure that high before. They immediately started her on meds to lower it and that part did work. They ran all kinds of tests while we waited and waited. Around midnight, a doctor came in and sat down with us. She told us there was no hope. My step-mom's kidneys were shutting down, she was bleeding from her brain stem, and she would never wake up. We huddled in a group and held each other and cried.

The next few days we watched her sleep, praying for a miracle. We desperately wanted her to wake up. She did open her eyes one time and looked at my little sister, but the doctor said that was just a reaction to them touching the part of her brain that was bleeding. Still we hoped.

Early Thursday morning we got the call that she has passed. I met my dad, sister, and brother at the hospital and we said our goodbyes. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to endure in my life. It brought back those awful memories of when I lost my own mother when I was a small child. My heart was breaking for my brother and sister, knowing we now shared one more common bond... we had all lost our mothers. My poor dad lost yet another wife and my older sisters and I lost the woman who tried to be a mom to us after we lost our own.
  • Options
    SimMommy05 wrote: »
    Reading through this thread has helped lift my spirits. Thank you @rosemow for creating it.

This past week has been very stressful and painful for my family and me. Exactly a week ago around this exact time, my step-mother went to sleep. Little did we know it would be a permanent sleep. She had a stroke while she was sleeping and slipped into a coma. On Sunday, after she had been asleep for over 12 hours, my dad and younger sister got worried. It's not like my stepmom to sleep that long. They tried waking her and couldn't get her to wake up so they called the ambulance.

When she arrived at the ER, her blood pressure was 242/161 (no that is not a typo). The nurse said she had never seen a blood pressure that high before. They immediately started her on meds to lower it and that part did work. They ran all kinds of tests while we waited and waited. Around midnight, a doctor came in and sat down with us. She told us there was no hope. My step-mom's kidneys were shutting down, she was bleeding from her brain stem, and she would never wake up. We huddled in a group and held each other and cried.

The next few days we watched her sleep, praying for a miracle. We desperately wanted her to wake up. She did open her eyes one time and looked at my little sister, but the doctor said that was just a reaction to them touching the part of her brain that was bleeding. Still we hoped.

Early Thursday morning we got the call that she has passed. I met my dad, sister, and brother at the hospital and we said our goodbyes. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to endure in my life. It brought back those awful memories of when I lost my own mother when I was a small child. My heart was breaking for my brother and sister, knowing we now shared one more common bond... we had all lost our mothers. My poor dad lost yet another wife and my older sisters and I lost the woman who tried to be a mom to us after we lost our own.

I am so very sorry. I send so many, many special thoughts to you @SimMommy05 I wish I could just give you and your family a big hug. It would have been such a hard and painful week for you all. Please know that you and your family will be in my thoughts at this hard time and in the days ahead.

• Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited November 2014
    I stumbled on this thread by accident. Reading through some of the responses here has put things into perspective for me...while I may be going through trials, I am not alone and also, there isn't anything that I'm going through right now that others haven't gone through before me and overcome. So, now I have no excuse to feel sorry for myself.

For those of you who are somewhat familiar with me, I lost my oldest daughter the day after Valentine's Day. She was 42 and left behind a grieving husband and a six year old son. I was living with them at the time of her death and continued to stay with my son-in-law and grandson until school let out in June. Then I moved out to be in the same city as my youngest daughter and have started a new life here. My son-in-law bought a piece of land in another town and he now has his mother, sister, and nephew living with him and my grandson, so I felt that I was free to go, since my grandson is being well taken care of by his other grandmother.

It hasn't been easy, though. The hardest part for me to adjust to is living alone again. When I think of the many times when I lived in a crowded household with my daughter, son-in-law, grandson, 2 dogs and 3 cats, and wished for a place of my own, it seems ironic. Because now I have what I wanted, but I miss the people and the chaos...especially having someone to talk to and someone to hug and make a fuss over (my grandson and the pets).

And yes, I, too, have health issues, but even those are manageable to an extent. I'm doing my best to get help for them. If anything, this thread has shown me that, no matter what differences of opinion we may have about this version of The Sims, we each have our own reasons for playing and can usually find some solace and yes, fun...if only a brief escape from the grim reality of life.

I will be thinking of you all and putting you in my prayers (It can't hurt, can it?)....thank you for showing me that I am not alone and, after all...life isn't All About Me, and it's better to care for others and think about THEIR needs, rather than focusing so much on my own and feeling sorry for myself.

Jarsie9

ETA: SimMommy05, my condolences on the death of your stepmother.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    goofygoober25goofygoober25 Posts: 149 Member

I am so sorry for what you went through, and I know personally what you're going through (not the exact same thing but close) because I went through it this year. My mom was in a coma this year while she had sepsis (blood poisoning) and an infected kidney stone that was slowly infecting the rest of her body. Unlike your mother, mine pulled through by a thread but the doctors had told us even if her infection/poisoning got better, she would probably never wake up. Those three weeks were some of the hardest in my life. I had also lost my dad a few years earlier. I just thought I'd share my experience with you to let you know that you are not alone. I wish you well and send my condolences to you and your family. Lots of hugs.

• Options
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    I stumbled on this thread by accident. Reading through some of the responses here has put things into perspective for me...while I may be going through trials, I am not alone and also, there isn't anything that I'm going through right now that others haven't gone through before me and overcome. So, now I have no excuse to feel sorry for myself.

For those of you who are somewhat familiar with me, I lost my oldest daughter the day after Valentine's Day. She was 42 and left behind a grieving husband and a six year old son. I was living with them at the time of her death and continued to stay with my son-in-law and grandson until school let out in June. Then I moved out to be in the same city as my youngest daughter and have started a new life here. My son-in-law bought a piece of land in another town and he now has his mother, sister, and nephew living with him and my grandson, so I felt that I was free to go, since my grandson is being well taken care of by his other grandmother.

It hasn't been easy, though. The hardest part for me to adjust to is living alone again. When I think of the many times when I lived in a crowded household with my daughter, son-in-law, grandson, 2 dogs and 3 cats, and wished for a place of my own, it seems ironic. Because now I have what I wanted, but I miss the people and the chaos...especially having someone to talk to and someone to hug and make a fuss over (my grandson and the pets).

And yes, I, too, have health issues, but even those are manageable to an extent. I'm doing my best to get help for them. If anything, this thread has shown me that, no matter what differences of opinion we may have about this version of The Sims, we each have our own reasons for playing and can usually find some solace and yes, fun...if only a brief escape from the grim reality of life.

I will be thinking of you all and putting you in my prayers (It can't hurt, can it?)....thank you for showing me that I am not alone and, after all...life isn't All About Me, and it's better to care for others and think about THEIR needs, rather than focusing so much on my own and feeling sorry for myself.

Jarsie9

Hello @Jarsie9 I am so sorry to hear about the passing away of your daughter. I send so many special thoughts to you. Thankyou for all that you have written here. They are very special and heartful words that you have written. Thankyou for sharing and expressing them here. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

• Options

My auntie died suddenly too. She had helped raising me. That was 7 years ago. It still hurts a lot and prompts me to cry, but it has gotten easier with time.

No, it will never go away. But it will get better. Honour her by passing on the good values she had.
  • Options
    Jarsie9 wrote: »

Jarsie9

No mother should ever have to bury a child of hers. Honestly, your post had me crying.

That you have such a beautiful, inspiring attitude inspite of it all makes me admire you greatly.
  • Options
    faceless341faceless341 Posts: 36 Member
    I am glad to have come across this thread and to see how much support is here. We all go through rough times and need love and support. I do hope you all can come through whatever is causing you problems with your head held high , knowing others care about you and you got through it . *hugs everyone*

I even have my own physical and mental problems ,that keeps me from living my life. I have to live with my father and I hate it because he is in his 70s , but at least I was able to get SSI and able to pay him "rent". But once he is gone , my life is soon to follow though. Sure the money will be there but my mental issue will be too , one keeps me from being able to go shopping. My late mothers family always treated me well, while she was alive but since her death , left me and my father behind since neither one of us have been family. His family has been the same since day 1 , always treated me poorly except when they want to kiss up to him . I am very glad I do not share their DNA . My father is my only family I have . Friendship is only online and even then its barely a friendship. I am not one that knows what it is like to have your mother and or father has your best friend but kinda wish I knew what that meant. Yeah , I am was not close to my late mother , nor am I close to my father. Though , I can openly speak to him about anything , though I do limit it to a point.

This is why I love Sims so much. It gives me a moment to pretend I can be loved, get married , have kids, have a nice family on both sides , have a job I love. And its a way for me to bring some life to some of my stories I write that will never see "daylight" .

• Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    @Derekjohnson, you learn to take things one day at a time; after all, that's really all we have; we're not guaranteed a tomorrow. Crystal's birthday is on Monday...she would have turned 43. My youngest and I will be celebrating it together with dinner at my apartment and simply being grateful for the time we had together, thankful that she is no longer suffering the many physical problems that eventually led up to her dying. We take comfort in the thought that her beautiful spirit lives on in a better place...and I, at least, hope to see her one day when my time comes.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top