Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Real Life Simmers

mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
edited November 2014 in Off Topic Chat
So I have been playing the Sims from the very beginning. Back in the day, I had lots of friends who played the Sims, but as we got older, most of them sort of grew out of gaming while I stayed pretty dedicated to the hobby. Now a days, I'm kind of on my own lonely Sim island. Other than the forums, I don't really have anyone to talk shop with so to speak. Aside from my 12 year old niece who I gifted with the Sims 2, I know no one who plays any Sims game.

That was until last night. I was watching a Let's Play the Sims series on YouTube and my boyfriend became very interested. Now, my boyfriend is a hardcore gamer. He plays just about everything under the sun and plays it well, but he's never been very interested in the Sims before and I've never really pushed the game because I know not everyone really likes simulation games.

Anyway, I was needing to go to bed to prepare for an early morning at work, so I fired up a new game for him on my computer and let him give it a go. I honestly expected him to play maybe an hour, get bored, then quit. I fell asleep around 11 last night only to be woken up by the cat dive bombing my head at 3am. And guess what? He was STILL playing. I convinced him to come to bed so the cats would chill out. When my alarm went off at 7 this morning, he hoped right out of bed and went right back to playing the Sims. I am on cloud nine that he seems to genuinely enjoy playing. I might finally have someone to geek out with in real life!

So to all the you simmers out there, do you have anyone in your life who shares the love of the Sims with you? Apparently the Sims 4 is very welcoming to new, first time players.
Post edited by mmt3363 on

Comments

• katoregamakatoregama Posts: 1,129 Member
    All my IRL friends hate The Sims, and they hate that I play it.
    Kato, Kato, rhymes with tomato.
    Players: Check out my Sims 4 Room Challenge.
    Devs & Players: Check out my Archaeology Career Idea
  • cornishovencornishoven Posts: 163 Member
    All my RL friends don't play games, they are proper grown ups. They make fun of me for my gaming and general nerdish behaviour (in a friend way obviously, not mean lol). :)
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    I don't keep animals in my house, that's one thing.

Another thing is I do know some people in RL who play(ed) Sims 3&4 and Sims Medieval.
    I know noone in RL who plays or played Sims 1 or Sims 2.
    Finally I've cut all connections with people who play Sims Freeplay. Sorry, I don't need those people in my life.

• xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    My cousins do.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    What is this real life you speak of ? I dont understand .
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    My kids played it before, now that they are grown, they don't. If I talk about it, they act like they are listening when they are really on their cell phones, so I gave up.

Don't know anyone else that plays it in RL!

As far as my husband, he just sits and talks to me sometimes, he is not interested in talking about Sims and besides.........I wouldn't want him touching my computer,LOL
  • mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    edited November 2014
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »

Another thing is I do know some people in RL who play(ed) Sims 3&4 and Sims Medieval.
    I know noone in RL who plays or played Sims 1 or Sims 2.
    Finally I've cut all connections with people who play Sims Freeplay. Sorry, I don't need those people in my life.

My cat is an awesome little snuggle bum. My boyfriend's cat is the antichrist.

I tried Freeplay when it first came out and hated it with a passion. So I can understand the cut in ties. lol
  • xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    My kids played it before, now that they are grown, they don't. If I talk about it, they act like they are listening when they are really on their cell phones, so I gave up.

Don't know anyone else that plays it in RL!

As far as my husband, he just sits and talks to me sometimes, he is not interested in talking about Sims and besides.........I wouldn't want him touching my computer,LOL

Sooo cute! :#
  • ClattieClattie Posts: 39 Member
    My husband is an avid gamer, but he only plays the Sims occasionally. He does let me ramble on and on about my sims, though, and pretends to be interested. So that makes me happy. :smile: Other than that, I don't know anyone IRL who plays. I tried to talk to my coworker about the sims once and her reply was, "I played Grand Theft Auto one time." I didn't try to talk to her about gaming again after that.
  • SophieDiddleSophieDiddle Posts: 578 Member
    I've know a lot of avid gamers, gamers who spend every waking hour talking about ps3 and arrange times for them to play together xD but I've only ever known a handful of simmers and they all grew out of it. That's why this forum is so good for simmers, somewhere to blow off that pent up sim chat.

Screw growing up!! WOOO ;)

(Your cat dive-bombing you made me laugh. I have two dogs and three kitties, and I very often wake up in the night to a cat wrapped around my leg and tapping and nibbling my tootsies).
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    Both me and my boyfriend play all kinds of games. But I'm the only one that plays The Sims regularly. We used to play The Sims 2 together and a little The Sims 3, but not anymore. He likes The Sims, but he's buried deep with his own games at the moment, haha. He does sometimes like to watch me play The Sims 4. I have a friend in Germany that plays The Sims too, but she's the only friend I have. My sister also used to play the first game, but not anymore.
  • LynarielaLynariela Posts: 3,297 Member
    My husband and I are both gamers (it's how we met almost 7 years ago) and he's expressed interest before in trying out the Sims games. He briefly watched while I played TS3, but it was late in the series and I think he was overwhelmed with all the extra features that come with expansions that he couldn't take it all in. He actually wants to sit down with me sometime and watch me play TS4 because he says it looks simpler (of course, base game!) I'm very excited but not getting my hopes up just yet.

I've been simming since the release of the first The Sims. Each incarnation is different, and I enjoy multiple aspects of each game. A few of my friends play, a couple of which I introduced to the game, and we'll get on a voicechat program, ask each other questions, tell each other tips and tricks we learn as we play, etc. I don't plan to stop simming anytime soon, and I can't wait to see what the future brings.
    Twitter, Twitch, and Gallery ID - Lynariela
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I do not know anyone in real life you plays the sims from sims 1 up to sims 4. I really would like to talk to someone who plays as they just look at me and I can tell they are no interested, sometimes when something goes wrong playing, they seem to be happy about it. Oh well, I guess after 14 yrs now, I don't really need anyone else I know to play. I'm to old now to even care what they think, Some of them don't even know how to use the computer, I'm not sure what they do all day in the house. but it beats watching TV. I love the sims and they are my entertainment with or without RL people. Funny I see things in the Real world that look just like the sims. I once saw a young girl in a the store and she looked just like one of my Imaginary Friends in Sims. Oh well life is fun with the sims.
  • iheartortoiseiheartortoise Posts: 36 Member
    My cousin actually introduced me to the very first Sims back in the day. I was only around 5 but I always remembered wanting to have the kind of free will to do what I want with my games. I used to play SoulBlade, which is an arcade style game, for PS1 and I always wanted to be able to make families with the characters and create stories for them. So when I found The Sims, it was everything I wanted and I'm now 19 and still an avid fan. I'm not too much of a gamer myself, I have a handful of games that I play on PlayStation 3/4 but they're just games that fit around my other interests like WWE or Harry Potter. But when it comes to The Sims, I am ride or die haha. The Sims 2 has been my favourite in the series so far but I can see Sims 4 taking that spot depending on the expansions because I am loving this gameplay. The Sims 3 was only franchise I didn't follow since I hated the gameplay so much.

But anyway, back to the question after a little bit of history and me rambling on. My brother got into Sims shortly after I did and we used to play together. Now my niece is hooked on it too because of watching me play. My best friend from school plays it and I only found out about it after we left! I think she stopped in high school but then I tweeted about my gameplay and she got back into it. Another of my cousins started playing Sims 2 but he grew out of it. He was looking to play Sims 4 but got disappointed with the no Mac version. And now at my part time job, there's a lot of Simmers and we always chat about it when we get the time!
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    edited November 2014

That's a very mean thing to say about her (or his?) boyfriend. :(

All kidding aside, I do have some friends who play The Sims to some extent. I rarely talk about Sims with them, though. And I think nobody I know (or at least am close with) has followed the series as I religiously as I've been doing.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • DarciTheFoxDarciTheFox Posts: 1,589 Member
    I'm so jealous! Lucky! Omg I would kill for someone to geek out over the sims with. I try and try to get my bf to play, but he does get bored and quit in under an hour.

I am a lonely simmer.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    It is my nephew 's fault that I play the sims and even he laughs at me :) Middle aged ladies in my world don't play computer games. It gets very lonely :( my hubby is very rude about my hobby but then he's a lousy golf player.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I have talked about the Sims with all my good friends. several of them have even played casually, and one is a dedicated simmer at least through Sims 3 (not sure if he's still with Sims 4 as we've lost touch the last couple of years.) But nobody I know except maybe him plays hardcore, and no one in my family does.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    I have no friends and nobody knows I play The Sims (well, I played TS3 quite a lot). Weirdly, the only people I talk to are online - but I have no online friends - I don't talk to anyone in my family - I don't have any pets either. plopppo isn't really my name either, so anyone here that knows I play The Sims, doesn't really know, even if they know me - because they won't know plopppo is me - but then I have never told anyone who knows me that I am plopppo - so it kind of cancels itself out.
  • KrayzieStrykerKrayzieStryker Posts: 2,646 Member
    I started to play Pc Games because of the Sims, my old friend introduced me with this Game back in 2000 he grew old of them though and only plays more other games like CoD and other shooter games :p
    I still love and play this Game franchise, i need to say i was before playing the Sims 1 more the console Gamer, because i found more fun playing the PS 1 and Gameboy, well yes because Pokemon and stuff, yes i was a kid back in the days ;)
    Well but after that i started to play more Pc Games :p
    Almost all my friends still plays Games but they are all more the MMORPG, CoD, Shooter type of Gamer though, only me and one other friends of mine still love to play the Sims.
    I never grow old of this Game, i only hope Sims 4 will be not the last one in the future.
    I also need to add because i am more disappointed how the Sims 4 is right now, but i still believe it can only be better in the future its just not my Sims Game anymore since i know from Sims 2 and 3.
    I will not go more into detail why i believe so, because i did that almost with every comment i do here in the forum, so i just end it with this :p
    So i only know now 2 people still playing the Sims me and my other old friend from RL :)
  • nightowlnightowl Posts: 25 Member
    I just started playing TS4, (I'm not really a true gamer due to lack of time) but I do know many others that started with TS and never stopped, so yes I do talk about it, a lot more than I play
  • mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

That's a very mean thing to say about her (or his?) boyfriend. :(

All kidding aside, I do have some friends who play The Sims to some extent. I rarely talk about Sims with them, though. And I think nobody I know (or at least am close with) has followed the series as I religiously as I've been doing.

I don't take animal comments personally. Some people don't care for them, and that's fine by me. I on the other hand work in rescue in my spare time. I have 4 basset hounds, 2 cats and a neurotic hamster. I can't imagine my life without my pets, even though Finn (my boyfriend's cat, also I am a she for the record lol) is a bit of a demon. Then again, he's a 5 month old kitten so really he just has too much energy to contain in his small body.

I'm just tickled to death that my partner in crime seems to be jumping on the Sims bandwagon. This morning, he was chatting to me about findind ways to make his sim feel confident so that he gets the “pee like a champion" interaction. I told him about angry poops and he just goes “Well, that's weird." Then he started asking me how to make his sim get angry. lol
  • RivieRivie Posts: 782 Member
    One of my friends in high school played the first game, she would take it to school sometimes and we saw her play a couple of times. I always wanted to play it but didn't have money for PC games. I used to have a gameboy and played pokemon, then I had a ps2 where I played tekken.
    TS4 is the first Sims game I've played. Now that I have a job and have money I was able to buy it. I decided to buy it because I saw a LP on youtube and I remembered how much I wanted the game but TS4 looked better, (I never saw TS2 or TS3). But none of the people I know play it. My cousins know I play but don't really care about it, one of them actually has the first one with EPs but doesn't play anymore. I am also a lonely simmer
    Rivie aka Lux Conant
    kingsonfam.png
    Kingson Family thread - Updates, Behind the scenes, Sneak peeks and more...
    The Abandoned Lot - Kingson family How the story begins...
  • Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited November 2014
    I have no RL friends who play games of any kind. Kind of creepy, isn't it?
  • plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    I have no RL friends who play games of any kind. Weird, isn't it?
    Do you have any friends at all?