Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    Faith is right, don't forget you can pick up an entire house up too! And move it around on the lot. Don't be afraid to use the features we have available :)
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    I'm so lucky I put my Olsen's house way off to the side the first time around, because for some reason I cannot move my house. I was going to move it over just a couple more squares, but I keep getting an error. Then I tried room by room...the problem is evidently somewhere in the living room. It's just too much hassle to figure out what the issue is just to move the house that little space. So I will be keeping it where it is. I still had room for the rest of the build, I just wanted to move it to give a better view of Vivian's house from the street. Oh well, I'm still loving this challenge.

Side note: I am so tempted to give them a pool now too, but at this point I am almost finished with the build and decoration, and I don't have the budget for it.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Pools! I played today and didn't see them! Where do I find them?
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    Have you updated your game today. The patch came out today. I was in game working on this challenge when I noticed the patch came out. Just exit the game and head into origin and check for update. (Mine does this automatically).

If you have updated your game already...Just go to the build mode tab. You'll notice that they rearranged the landscaping icons a little. The pool menu is right next to the landscaping now. Hope that helps :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    edited November 2014
    Lebanna wrote: »
    Faith is right, don't forget you can pick up an entire house up too! And move it around on the lot. Don't be afraid to use the features we have available :)

That's why I Always do the shell and interior first as the building can change because of it, after that is done, landscaping is next.
    I really love this feature, as you can just begin building and afterwards position your building nicely on the lot.
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Thanks for the pool tips. I didn't get an update yet, but I'll check that.

I've never been able to pick up my house. It just comes out in pieces. Is there a trick?
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    @pammiechick There is an icon in the toolbar at the top of the screen in build mode for moving the entire house.
    1QgobW4.jpg
    Clicking on your house with this selected will let you pick up the whole thing.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    Thanks for the pool tips. I didn't get an update yet, but I'll check that.

I've never been able to pick up my house. It just comes out in pieces. Is there a trick?

There is another thing to moving the house. I am not sure if it has been fixed, but I noticed that the exterior stairs will not move with the house. They just stay where you placed them.
  • Kulthero777Kulthero777 Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited November 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 5
    FORUM ID: Kulthero777
    ORIGIN ID: Kulthero777
    LEVEL: Expert (maybe, although I feel like I am always learning new things)
    LOT: Colonial Cul de Sac
    SIM: decided to opt out this time around
    ROOM: n/a
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Slideshow (hover over images for descriptions)
    ENTRY DETAILS: Three Colonial style family homes $224,999 (with lot price) - Olsen's House (center): 5bd/3.5bt + workshop & office, Leroy & Charlotte's House (left): 1 bd/1.5bt + den & hobby nook, Vivian's House (right): 1bd/1.5bt + study/play nook & greenhouse.

11-02-14_8-43nbspPM.png

A: Olsen's House (Classic Colonial) was originally completed for BnS Challenge #3

Due to new city zoning rules, the Olsen's house had to be relocated to the rear of the lot. This meant they had to give up a portion of their yard and patio, but they have gained a driveway and new neighbors! The city, apologetic for putting them out of their home for a few weeks, compensated them by providing some new landscaping. The grandparents moving in next door into smaller homes meant that they had to downsize and had some leftover furnishings that would not fit into their new places. They decided to hand these items down to their grandchildren. Leroy & Charlotte contributed some toys and decorations and Vivian, an avid reader, thought it was time the kids got a desk and bookshelf.

B: Leroy & Charlotte's House

Leroy & Charlotte are quite pleased with their new home even though these new zoning rules have really disappointed Leroy. Sadly, his plans for a garage had to be altered, but the architect was able to easily convert the space and he still has his driveway which is handicapped accessible. Although Colonial design on the exterior, they were able to fit in their Arts & Crafts style decor without a hitch. The green and wood tones give a sense of handmade craftsmanship. The dining room has been specially designed so that Charlotte can easily move around the table. Leroy enjoys his cozy den and can't wait to invite his family over to watch the game! Unfortunately the city zoning rules mandated that only two story homes could be built on their property, so everyone chipped in and purchased Charlotte an electric lift chair so that she could easily traverse the stairs. Charlotte loves her little upstairs nook where she has plenty of space to sew and store her crafting materials.

C: Vivian's House

Vivian is so happy that her Coastal Eclectic furnishings fit in so nicely with her bright and airy new home. It is so great that the home has plenty of storage for her book collection. The deep blue color in her bedroom reminds her so much of the ocean she used to visit as a girl and the pops of red and green are so lively. The upstairs study nook has a small play area for when the grandchildren come to visit. Now she just needs to buy a childproof gate so that the kids don't have any accidents on the stairs. Vivian can't wait to dig into her new greenhouse and she loves the easily manageable size of her garden patio! Although she doesn't drive anymore, there is a large parking space available for the Senior Metro to stop in and give her a ride to the community gardens.

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC used
    Post edited by Kulthero777 on
  • KelSimmieKelSimmie Posts: 69 Member
    11-02-14_8-43nbspPM.png

Oh My Heavens!!! That is GORGEOUS!!!! It never occurred to me to move the main house back and put the two on the sides like that!!!

And... since the powers that be said that we can move the original house on the lot... oh my... this is making me want to do this challenge again... ahhh what to do what to do...

(I homeschool our Son who is special needs (mild form of Cerebral Palsy), I have to take care of the house as best I can (can't do much since the car accident over a year ago - that's also the source of my pain all the time, not to mention scatterbrain and forgetfulness - oh look, a butterfly), I'm trying to crochet another scarf for our lil man, and wanted to make one for me too (even if I don't get out much - actually, I really want to do a shawl), and now the holidays are creeping up (and for the first time in 21 years, I'm actually looking forward to the holidays this year...). So many things to do, and I know I'm forgetting some things and more will be added... LOL)

Oh and now Pools are finally ready! No wonder my Origin updated! LOL
    The biggest problem with getting pics is the Olsen's don't know where "their" houses are. LOL! And so they freely use all houses, including beds and for pics, I have to constantly kick them out. I long for the days when you could designate beds and lock doors! Ha!

OMG YES!!! I long for the days when we could use a gate and lock everyone out of the property but the household (kept out paparazzi), setting who's bed was who's, lock doors... ugh... I have a lot I built that was basically 4 townhomes together with a combined community room. I ended up re-designing it to make only one entrance and made all the living areas (kitchen, dining, living, skill, hobby, gym, entertainment, etc...) common and condensed into one for the whole complex and left only their master bedrooms and master bathrooms separate. But, they all seem to go into the room not meant for them... and there's no way (at least that I've found) to keep them in their "own" bed! LOL Oh, and that also means that Master Bathrooms are moot... there is no point in them, other than design, because guests have no qualms about going in and using them... There are no boundaries...

And back to gates and fences... I also long for the day when we have proper fences and matching gates! There are hardly any tall gates to go with the tall fences, and they don't match the tall gates that I use... And what is with that wrought iron fence being so itty bitty small??? That's barely an edging for a garden. I want some good medium to tall fences in the wrought iron look!

Ok... I'm done now... LOL

I think I'll try to rearrange the lot and see if I can get something good going on! But, with everything else going on right now, still not sure I'll make the deadline or not. But, as I said, I'm vested in the Olsen's, not to mention being a perfectionist... LOL If I can't do it right... well... I'm going to give it the best I can! =)
    There is an icon in the toolbar at the top of the screen in build mode for moving the entire house.
    1QgobW4.jpg
    Clicking on your house with this selected will let you pick up the whole thing.

And Thank You, @Carawren!!! I had forgotten how to move the whole house, so this was extremely helpful!!! =)

And a big thank you to the Build n Share team, y'all are awesome! =)
    SimtechiorDesignsSignature.jpg
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
    @KelSimmie: Thank you! I tried a few different things before finally settling on the cul de sac. It seemed to work best because I made the Olsen's house too big but couldn't change it. Thankfully we were allowed to move it otherwise I don't think I would have entered this time.

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now! I hope you do get some time for yourself to be creative, either in The Sims or with your crochet.

I can relate to having a lot of real life to handle. It is all too easy to forget to have fun. When I do choose to do something fun I feel guilty that I could be doing something more responsible, like dishes or laundry and it is hard to get a good balance. I am now living like a single mom even though I'm married and sometimes I just want a day off lol! My husband is a truck driver and he is gone from home for long periods of time. He has been gone since October 18th and tomorrow he will be driving only half an hour away from our house but his time constraints don't allow for enough time to stop by home to visit. He is going to miss our oldest daughter's 16th birthday but at least he can Skype with us. He isn't expected to get home time until around Thanksgiving but even then it will only be for up to 5 days of unpaid time off. I'm not complaining because I love my family and wouldn't change my life but it can be really tough. I can't imagine how hard it is to care for a child with special needs. I have been contemplating homeschooling my youngest daughter. The past two years she has been having a really rough time with bullies and falling behind at school. Her teachers say that she has to catch up, have separated her desk from the other kids (their way of keeping away bullies) and that she should already know this stuff. I have asked them for help and I am wondering what happened to the No Child Left Behind law because it doesn't seem that they are doing their part. I have asked them for advice, tutoring, etc. and they say that they can't help or that I need to pay to send her to private tutoring. I think it would be so much easier if I could just teach her rather than trying to deal with the school system. Any insight you have on that would be greatly appreciated!
  • KelSimmieKelSimmie Posts: 69 Member
    It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now! I hope you do get some time for yourself to be creative, either in The Sims or with your crochet.

I can relate to having a lot of real life to handle. It is all too easy to forget to have fun. When I do choose to do something fun I feel guilty that I could be doing something more responsible, like dishes or laundry and it is hard to get a good balance. I am now living like a single mom even though I'm married and sometimes I just want a day off lol! My husband is a truck driver and he is gone from home for long periods of time. He has been gone since October 18th and tomorrow he will be driving only half an hour away from our house but his time constraints don't allow for enough time to stop by home to visit. He is going to miss our oldest daughter's 16th birthday but at least he can Skype with us. He isn't expected to get home time until around Thanksgiving but even then it will only be for up to 5 days of unpaid time off. I'm not complaining because I love my family and wouldn't change my life but it can be really tough. I can't imagine how hard it is to care for a child with special needs. I have been contemplating homeschooling my youngest daughter. The past two years she has been having a really rough time with bullies and falling behind at school. Her teachers say that she has to catch up, have separated her desk from the other kids (their way of keeping away bullies) and that she should already know this stuff. I have asked them for help and I am wondering what happened to the No Child Left Behind law because it doesn't seem that they are doing their part. I have asked them for advice, tutoring, etc. and they say that they can't help or that I need to pay to send her to private tutoring. I think it would be so much easier if I could just teach her rather than trying to deal with the school system. Any insight you have on that would be greatly appreciated!

@Kulthero777 Yeah, there is a lot going on and it gets daunting trying to balance it all. Creativity is what I live for. I can relate to the guilty feelings... I've been spending so much time on The Sims, both 3 and now 4... My husband doesn't understand it, so he just gives me those "really?" looks... He's my total opposite, he's the logical one. He reads political news or watches history documentaries... And for that, I give him the "really?" looks right back! LOL I also can relate to the single mom aspect even though you are married, as well as the truck driver thing. My first husband was a truck driver and was away a lot and it put a big strain on the relationship (that never should have been - I was too young, naive, and stupid and it just took a few years after we were married to figure it out). But, the third time was the charm and gave me a little miracle child. Unfortunately, that miracle came at a price... our health... But, I feel like a single Mom too because my husband works a lot. He just recently switched jobs, so I had him around for a couple months. He's closer to home, but working overtime to make up the difference in pay, plus ride sharing with a friend of ours. So, it's a similar time away.

As for homeschooling. Let's just say that our Son is 6 1/2 years old. He should have been going into 1st grade. We are still working on pre-school material. He just doesn't get it... And the school had an IEP in place and were not following it and giving him the help they promised. The school rules were hideous... and Kindergarten is now soooooo advanced that I totally disagreed with it... so, we made the decision to homeschool. It's slow going right now, but he's improving. I've seen the improvement. He's very smart and intelligent beyond his years... We just have to find a way to pull those answers out of him... One of the downfalls of CP is his attitude and behavior... and I swear he has ADHD but they won't diagnose it as such. And irregardless, his Pediatric Neurologist said that if they gave him anything for it that it would just bring out his defiant nature more. The best they can do is medicine to help him achieve a deeper sleep at night so he wakes up better rested and hopefully an improved mood. It's better than it was before. But, anyways, homeschooling at his level is really easy, especially with Pinterest and Google to give you lots of ideas. Just check out the laws of your state and see what the requirements are. Here, it is treated as a private school and therefore there are no regulations, no tests, no reporting, nothing. We just wrote a letter to the school un-enrolling him and informing them that we were going to homeschool him and that was it. If you've got the time, it might be worth it to give her the one on one attention it seems like she needs. Oh, and boo on their handling of bullies! It should be the bullies who get separated, not the one who got bullied, all they do in that is draw attention to her and make the situation worse. Kids can be so cruel.

Anyhoo... Sorry we hijacked the thread! LOL I'm going to go and build some and get my creativity groove on. Dishes can wait. I can't stand anymore tonight anyways. My back say unh-uh, no way, not happenin'! =) LOL
    SimtechiorDesignsSignature.jpg
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
  • CreepsaCreepsa Posts: 30 Member
    So I was wondering, is anybody else having problems like this with this lamp? Or is it just me? (Sorry I can't post pictures yet) www.upload.ee/image/4344284/11-05-14_2-51_PM.png
    Creepsa wrote: »
    So I was wondering, is anybody else having problems like this with this lamp? Or is it just me? (Sorry I can't post pictures yet) www.upload.ee/image/4344284/11-05-14_2-51_PM.png

I have the same problem. I think it was after the previous update.
  • CreepsaCreepsa Posts: 30 Member
    > @DieterPrivate said:
    > Creepsa wrote: »
    >
    > So I was wondering, is anybody else having problems like this with this lamp? Or is it just me? (Sorry I can't post pictures yet) www.upload.ee/image/4344284/11-05-14_2-51_PM.png
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I have the same problem. I think it was after the previous update.

No it actually wasn't... I've had the problem since the release which is really frustrating :/
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    I've got that lamp graphics glitch noted on the Build Mode Feedback thread, creepsa. It did not exist at release, at least not for all of us, as I used it with no glitches in one of my early builds.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • opod67opod67 Posts: 126 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #:5
    FORUM ID: opod67
    ORIGIN ID: smens0067
    LEVEL: I wouldn't say Starting Out, but not as good as Established.
    LOT: Olsen's Colonial Homes
    SIM: N/A
    ROOM:N/A
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/UO6vs?gallery
    ENTRY DETAILS: The Olsen's are having their parents move in with them, but they want two separate houses for their parents.
    Vivian like Coastal/Eclectic styles and enjoys gardening, writing and reading. Her home features everything she could need for her hobbies. She has a small kitchen for her to prepare small meals for herself, open floor plan, a writing loft with amazing views and a green house.

Leroy and Charlotte like the Arts and Crafts style home, so their interior features lots of warm woods and colors. Charlotte uses a walker, so this home had to be accessible. There are no rugs (except for Leroy's room), the home features only hardwood floor or non-slip tiles and the home is single level. The home is also very spacious so Charlotte should have no issues getting around the home. Charlotte loves to sewing, so she has a special room where she can mend clothing and create some of her own. Leroy loves hockey games, and has his own "man cave" just for that. His special room also features a full bar, so he can enjoy the game with a beer or two.

We were also able to add a private garden in-between the parents' homes. This garden can be used by anyone and will hopefully help mend the in-laws relationship.
    0Z2Hbc8.jpg
    edited November 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM 8368066_orig.png
    CHALLENGE #5
    FORUM ID: Carewren123
    ORIGIN ID: carewren123
    LEVEL: Expert
    LOT: Olsen Family Colonials
    SIM: The whole family can be found under my Origin ID in the gallery.
    ROOM: N/A
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW:
    http://precisebydesign.weebly.com/builds/buildnshare-challenge-5

ENTRY DETAILS: Each building has its on unique styling. The exteriors are all colonial style, but each house looks unique. They look good together, but I chose not to make them matchy-matchy. My hope is that this makes it look like a community of colonial style homes.

Leroy and Charlotte's House: Single story build. No stairs, wide doorways, lack of clutter make for a walker-friendly environment. Lots of wood on the walls, floors and furniture in keeping with the Arts and Crafts interior style. This build is also closest to the street, partially because I went ahead with the garage portion of the build, but also so that Charlotte doesn't have too far to walk to get to her house.

Vivian's House: Two story house. Ocean/beachy colors that fit in with the Coastal style interior are used throughout. There are also touches of unique/unusual furniture/decor to add a touch of eclectic design. There are plenty of books for Vivian to enjoy. And as requested there is a greenhouse for her to work in. It is small but charming.

I used $124,238 of the allotted budget for this build.

Note: I give up trying to figure out what is going on with the price that is showing in the gallery for this build. Back when we did the original build for the Don and Judy the gallery price was lower than what was showing in my lot info panel. I thought this was because I used some buy debug items.

When I started this build my lot value was $85,875. So I knew I could not exceed $210,875. When I finished building the lot value was $210,113 (This was before play testing the build). Now the gallery price is ~$227,000. I have no idea whats going on, but I am CERTAIN that I didn't use more than $125,000 for this portion of the build. :/ The only thing I can guess is that there is some discrepancy between how some buy debug items are calculated in Build Mode and in the Gallery. But I really don't know.

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None

Post edited by Carewren123 on
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

@Opod67: Great job on the greenhouse and the homes are very cute!

@Carewren123: Awesome idea for a garage/carport! It looks really great :)
    edited November 2014
    @Kulthero777 Thanks. By the way I really loved your cul de sac. That was really such a great way to make all the houses look like they belong on the same lot.

and I agree @opod67 you're greenhouse is so cute. I like how you removed the floor in there so that the planters are actually on the ground. And the little communal garden/sitting area you made is sweet.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• LavenderLavender Posts: 73 Member
    Carewren, I'm getting a 404 Error when i click your link. I'm not sure if it's something with my computer, or an issue with the link, but I wanted to give you a heads up. The photo you have in the post looks great! I wanted to see more! =D
    edited November 2014
    Oh thanks for the heads up. It just gave me the same error, so let me see what the problem is.

Edit: Okay the link in my entry form should be working now.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• opod67opod67 Posts: 126 Member
    Thanks @Caremren123 and @Kulthero777! I like your builds as well. Caremren, your curved path looks really cool! And Kulthero, I like how your houses look like they are just neighbors and not all on the same lot.
    0Z2Hbc8.jpg
    Just to be sure: The garage/carport wasn't needed, right?

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    Just to be sure: The garage/carport wasn't needed, right?

That's correct @DieterPrivate, no garage or car port is needed ;)

GArBA5W.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top