Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Things That Need To Change In Build Mode ASAP

FertieSimsFertieSims Posts: 162 Member
edited November 2014 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Hey guys, I just want to make this thread about the things that are driving me insane in Build Mode.

I love this game, and so far I've only really built 1 house and renovated another, and both homes were everyday affordable simple homes, but now I am trying to make an extravagant Mediterranean home for the pool update coming soon. Now that I'm making a detailed over the top home I can see that there are so many restrictions and it is making it impossible and extremely uninspiring.

We need to be able to:

- Delete single floor tiles without having to build a room in an area where we want to delete the floor.
- Roofs shouldn't go through walls.
- A roof foundation sort of thing. For example, the thickness of a foundation that you can put a roof on so that the roof's elevated in certain areas etc, or not put a roof on for modern homes etc. Or just walls that can be the height of a foundation. We used to have constrainfloorelevation to create foundations/small walls for roofs and more.

Sims-3-Cheats-ConstrainFloorElevation-simension.jpg

- An inside foundation would be great for making L shaped stairs and more. (Sims 2 had something like this, also constrainfloorelevation made this possible).
- Move objects cheat needs to happen asap.
- An arch that has no frame for each wall height and in different widths. Seeing as we can't make arches using the constrainfloorelevation cheat...

Sort of like this:

Mediterranean_Arches.jpg

- Fences to the edge of the lot.
- Being able to add floor tiles to the second floor without having to build a room around them and then delete it just to get a floating floor. For example, making a small balcony off the side of a wall.

I can't think of anything else that's annoying me. I'm sure when I continue to build I'll find something else. But I can't continue this house for now because I want an entrance with a 2 story high ceiling and staircase landing, but I can't delete the flooring in the area that I want open without it continuously replacing the deleted area with a floor again. :(

Has anyone else found anything in Build Mode that you think needs to happen/change?

Anyways thanks :)

EDIT:

- Rounder roof shapes are absolutely needed.
- Different rooms/walls on the top floor of a house having the option of being different/separate heights.
- Terrain tool.
- Different size columns.
- Basement tool.

Also, I'm not asking for constrainfloorelevation cheat back, I mean that I would like some tools to be put in the game that allow foundations to be placed on roofs and indoors etc, instead of having to use constrainfloorelevation cheat like we had to in the previous games. :)

Post edited by FertieSims on

Comments

• FertieSimsFertieSims Posts: 162 Member
    JoxerTM22 wrote: »
    FertieSims wrote: »
    Sims-3-Cheats-ConstrainFloorElevation-simension.jpg

Cheats?

No.

What do you mean? Are you saying no to cheats? :P
  • olekebollekeolekebolleke Posts: 156 Member
    I used constrainfloorelevation sometimes, but wasn't very good at it. I never liked that I couldn't use stone walls on the outside, because it would look funny.
    What I would like is a way to do the same, but without the cheat. That way everything looks good on the outside.
    I don't have the roof problem, unless the room isn't recognized.
    I agree with the floor tiles. Sometimes I like to delete just one or two tiles, but I have to delete the entire room. This should change.
    I am happy if we get ways to build different stairs and houses with different foundation heights.
  • cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    Id like that too, but they could easily remedy this by giving us a flat roof option
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • CeliriaCeliria Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited November 2014
    Id like that too, but they could easily remedy this by giving us a flat roof option

The game has flat roofs

27wxhtv.jpg

• Prettyweed870Prettyweed870 Posts: 832 Member
    edited November 2014
    Agreed-When you build up a level and add stairs if you try to delete tiles behind the steps, all the tiles in the same "room" are deleted. Would be nice if this were fixed to save me the time and pain of re-adding tiles.

@FertieSims - Those arches are epic and would be great add as well. This does seem rather basic and not something that we should have to pay for in an EP.
  • makanivalurmakanivalur Posts: 284 Member
    What annoys me is wall paint. In TS3 if I wanted an area to be another colour than the rest I'd put two wallpaper bits down and then press shift and fill the rest in automatically - in TS4 it doesn't do that, it still colours the entire room which means adding different coloured walls can take forever! Equally adding columns at the corners is so pretty but sometimes it can really mess up the room system. Sometimes it doesn't recognise rooms as such and makes them seem like independent walls meaning I have to colour the outside or inside by hand.. Annoying! Also on small foundations the stairs can be really hard to place sometimes.
  • TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    What annoys me is wall paint. In TS3 if I wanted an area to be another colour than the rest I'd put two wallpaper bits down and then press shift and fill the rest in automatically - in TS4 it doesn't do that, it still colours the entire room which means adding different coloured walls can take forever! Equally adding columns at the corners is so pretty but sometimes it can really mess up the room system. Sometimes it doesn't recognise rooms as such and makes them seem like independent walls meaning I have to colour the outside or inside by hand.. Annoying! Also on small foundations the stairs can be really hard to place sometimes.

I can put wallpaper one at a time then whole room the other color. Both walls and floor have the single option and auto. single walls/floors are right next to the auto I believe. (have to look when I go ingame today but I do know it is there)
    I hear you about the room issue. I have had to rewall hallways to be sure they are rooms them wallpaper. :\

• Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    What is up with us not able to go the edge of the lot ?.Remember when columns could be used to build a second floor.
  • Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    Remember when columns could be used to build a second floor.

Yes, and then you could remove the columns to make a floating platform. I miss that the most about build mode. You could make some really crazy houses that way. From balconies to porticos to entire floors with no visible means of support, real treehouses, suspension bridges, houses on stilts. For all the later advances, building was so much more fun and creative back then.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited November 2014
    We need to be able to:
    - Delete single floor tiles without having to build a room in an area where we want to delete the floor.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean. This can be done the way it's always been done. Hold down Ctrl key to delete single tiles.

There are two options on floors. The first one is for a single tile. The second is for the entire floor area (see circled image).

floorTiles.jpg

You also don't need to build a room. You can either put tiles directly on the ground, or have them elevated by using the tools in this image:

platformDeckTools.jpg

The downside is when it comes to elevating the floor, it's all or none. I'm hoping this will change in the future.

One trick I love to use a lot is to delete the existing floor and replace it with the shape I want using the deck tool (in the image above). You can shape it any way you want, and you can leave areas uncovered. This will muck up a venue, but it works fine on a house.

I also use this tool for flat roofs. It's one of my favourite tools in the game.
    - A roof foundation sort of thing. For example, the thickness of a foundation that you can put a roof on so that the roof's elevated in certain areas etc, or not put a roof on for modern homes etc. Or just walls that can be the height of a foundation. We used to have constrainfloorelevation to create foundations/small walls for roofs and more.

Agreed. Roofs shouldn't go through walls, and they technically don't. They have their own walls in this game. In S2 I could cover the whole first floor with one roof. The walls I build inside of it for a second floor create a room where there is no roof. I can do this in S4 as well. I use the deck tool for flat roofs and to control where trimming goes. Unless you're talking about something else?

I would like to be able to elevate the decks seperately for thicker roofs. That's a great idea. I also miss the half-walls very much.
    - An inside foundation would be great for making L shaped stairs and more. (Sims 2 had something like this, also constrainfloorelevation made this possible).
    - An arch that has no frame for each wall height and in different widths. Seeing as we can't make arches using the constrainfloorelevation cheat...

I've been asking for an adjustable foundation since the game came out. Many of us have brought it up already. We'd love to be able to re-create types of stairs in existing homes (L-shaped, C-shaped, etc...)

ConstrainFoors is always fun, but it was never great. It messed up tiling and created dead space. I don't really miss it because I never really used it much due to its flaws.

MoveObjects would be great. I'd love to be able to delete the mailboxes on two venues that were initially designated as residential. When you reassign them, the mailbox stays--very annoying.

The invisible arch is a great idea.

I miss fences that could be placed on the edge of the lot as well. I suspect we won't be seeing that since I'm assuming it's a game limitation due to the new design. I could be wrong though. Time will tell.
    Being able to add floor tiles to the second floor without having to build a room around them and then delete it just to get a floating floor. For example, making a small balcony off the side of a wall.

Refer to my beloved deck tool above. It's possible and can already be done with this magical tool.
    Has anyone else found anything in Build Mode that you think needs to happen/change?
    • Inside platform tool that is height-adjustable (as was already mentioned)
    • Terrain tool
    • Basement tool
    • Garden fences (low-lying) that can be used to add interest to flat roofs as well.
    • half-height, two-story, and three-story columns.

Hold down Alt key when doing different wall patterns. I love S4's system better. It just takes some know-how and getting used to.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Kuypers125Kuypers125 Posts: 781 Member
    edited November 2014
    again with the Move Objects Cheat?
    at least half that cheat was built into Build mode as a regular feature (the half that actually has to deal with moving objects)
    either 'ctrl' or 'alt' lets place objects while ignoring the grid
    Kuypers125 wrote: »
    at least half that cheat was built into Build mode as a regular feature (the half that actually has to deal with moving objects)

I know this, but it doesn't help me get rid of the mailbox on a venue.
  • JupiterGirlJupiterGirl Posts: 515 Member
    @FertieSims, I agree with all of your recommendations with the exception of the constrain floor elevation cheat. I was never very good with that cheat, so I would prefer to be able to achieve its effects with regular building tools. I loved building in 2 & 3 and I hope EA adds some build tools and options to make building in 4 more fun.
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Things I wish for:

1. Different structures on the same lot could have different wall heights. If there is a way, I have not found it. I wanted to make a taller castle wall, but the walls each floor of the castle itself didn't need to be that tall.

2. Ponds! I made a fountain instead, but it isn't quite what I wanted.

3. Better roofing options for the round/tower shaped rooms. I did the best I could, but it just doesn't look right.

10-22-14_7-13nbspPM_zpsdc638a12.png
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
    edited November 2014
    Piperbird1 wrote: »
    Things I wish for:

1. Different structures on the same lot could have different wall heights. If there is a way, I have not found it. I wanted to make a taller castle wall, but the walls each floor of the castle itself didn't need to be that tall.

3. Better roofing options for the round/tower shaped rooms. I did the best I could, but it just doesn't look right.

Yes to all. These things kind of bug me that they don't exist. I don't know how many times I've built something and wished the walls weren't all or none. Same goes for the foundations.

One of my little straw huts just doesn't look right without a dome-shaped roof.

And water tool would be great for many reasons
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »
    Remember when columns could be used to build a second floor.

Yes, and then you could remove the columns to make a floating platform. I miss that the most about build mode. You could make some really crazy houses that way. From balconies to porticos to entire floors with no visible means of support, real treehouses, suspension bridges, houses on stilts. For all the later advances, building was so much more fun and creative back then.

You still can. You don't even need to place the supports initially anymore you can just naturally build a floor that hangs off in space. You can even delete the floor under it and just have the second floor floating in mid air.
    Piperbird1 wrote: »
    Things I wish for:

10-22-14_7-13nbspPM_zpsdc638a12.png

You can place ponds. A recent patch added debug mode which allows players to use the ponds in the game.

Celiria wrote: »
    You can place ponds. A recent patch added debug mode which allows players to use the ponds in the game.

Not ponds per se. The water tool that came with terrain editing in previous games. A pond you can completely design on your own (shape, depth, etc...)
  • makanivalurmakanivalur Posts: 284 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

Hold down Alt key when doing different wall patterns. I love S4's system better. It just takes some know-how and getting used to.

OMG I could kiss you right now!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can't believe I didn't figure this out myself, it's amazing!

*does a little victory dance while madly pressing ALT*

Don't judge, I spent ages placing tile after tile of wallpaper because I couldn't figure out this shortcut lol
    OMG I could kiss you right now!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I can't believe I didn't figure this out myself, it's amazing!

*does a little victory dance while madly pressing ALT*

Don't judge, I spent ages placing tile after tile of wallpaper because I couldn't figure out this shortcut lol

:) Holding down Shift will also just replace tiles in the same family. Have fun.
    edited November 2014
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    We need to be able to:
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean. This can be done the way it's always been done. Hold down Ctrl key to delete single tiles.

There are two options on floors. The first one is for a single tile. The second is for the entire floor area (see circled image).

floorTiles.jpg

You also don't need to build a room. You can either put tiles directly on the ground, or have them elevated by using the tools in this image:

platformDeckTools.jpg

The downside is when it comes to elevating the floor, it's all or none. I'm hoping this will change in the future.

One trick I love to use a lot is to delete the existing floor and replace it with the shape I want using the deck tool (in the image above). You can shape it any way you want, and you can leave areas uncovered. This will muck up a venue, but it works fine on a house.

I also use this tool for flat roofs. It's one of my favourite tools in the game.

Agreed. Roofs shouldn't go through walls, and they technically don't. They have their own walls in this game. In S2 I could cover the whole first floor with one roof. The walls I build inside of it for a second floor create a room where there is no roof. I can do this in S4 as well. I use the deck tool for flat roofs and to control where trimming goes. Unless you're talking about something else?

I would like to be able to elevate the decks seperately for thicker roofs. That's a great idea. I also miss the half-walls very much.

I've been asking for an adjustable foundation since the game came out. Many of us have brought it up already. We'd love to be able to re-create types of stairs in existing homes (L-shaped, C-shaped, etc...)

ConstrainFoors is always fun, but it was never great. It messed up tiling and created dead space. I don't really miss it because I never really used it much due to its flaws.

MoveObjects would be great. I'd love to be able to delete the mailboxes on two venues that were initially designated as residential. When you reassign them, the mailbox stays--very annoying.

The invisible arch is a great idea.

I miss fences that could be placed on the edge of the lot as well. I suspect we won't be seeing that since I'm assuming it's a game limitation due to the new design. I could be wrong though. Time will tell.
    Being able to add floor tiles to the second floor without having to build a room around them and then delete it just to get a floating floor. For example, making a small balcony off the side of a wall.

Refer to my beloved deck tool above. It's possible and can already be done with this magical tool.
    • Inside platform tool that is height-adjustable (as was already mentioned)
    • Terrain tool
    • Basement tool
    • Garden fences (low-lying) that can be used to add interest to flat roofs as well.
    • half-height, two-story, and three-story columns.

Hey :)

I love all of your ideas etc, hopefully they will all be added sometime soon :)

As for the tiles, you can't delete single floor tiles on the second floor of a building without building a wall/room around the tiles you would like to delete.

Roofs don't go through walls if it detects there is a room or whatever, and unfortunately for me, they don't detect every room etc and appear in the house.

And I don't really want constrainfloorelevation cheat back, it wouldn't work without terrain tools etc anyway. I just want to be able to have the small walls etc without using that cheat, as in a tool or whatever for indoor foundations etc, instead of using that cheat to make your own if you know what I mean?

Move Objects is a must for me, it's perfect for landscaping and cluttering furniture.

Kuypers125 wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you could do that in The Sims 3 without MoveObjects cheat enabled. Having objects not lock on is great, but objects still can't touch each other and have a limit on how close they can get to each other. I would like to make a garden for this house that's just full of flowers and trees etc, but I can't do it because there's still a restriction. :)

• JumanjiJumanji Posts: 67 Member
    edited November 2014
    The ponds won't be uploaded to the gallery, just a little fyi. Also, yes I need octagonal roofs badly.
    @FertieSims, I agree with all of your recommendations with the exception of the constrain floor elevation cheat. I was never very good with that cheat, so I would prefer to be able to achieve its effects with regular building tools. I loved building in 2 & 3 and I hope EA adds some build tools and options to make building in 4 more fun.

This build mode has so much potential to be completely perfect :)

As for the constrainfloorelevation cheat, I don't want it back either. I actually mean I would like tools that allow us to do the stuff we once had to use that cheat for if you know what I mean. Pretty much what you said :)