Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Love that "M" key and other loves & annoyances

Hello Fellow Simmers!

I have recently started using the "M" key to travel! OMGoodness what a quick way to travel around the neighborhood. I didn't realize before what a difference that key would make. Is this something that is common knowledge to everyone or am I the only one (I totally know I won't be the ONLY one, but this phrase is commonly used here, lol)

Love, love, love the Sim behavior. It still knocks me for a loop when I play after all those years of t3 and how different that game is for the way I play.

One annoyance in 4 for me is the "Lot Info Panel" at the top of the screen. When I am changing the house out through the gallery, I find that I forget what size the lot is that I'm playing and have to go back out to the neighborhood view to read it off the info bubble of the lot, or sit there and count the stupid squares - both methods are a pain in the neck. I wish they would put the info somewhere on the lot. If it is already there, than would someone please tell me where?

That's all for now, anyone have anything to add?
My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8

Comments

• Jlm0072012Jlm0072012 Posts: 159 Member
    windweaver wrote: »
    Hello Fellow Simmers!

I have recently started using the "M" key to travel! OMGoodness what a quick way to travel around the neighborhood. I didn't realize before what a difference that key would make. Is this something that is common knowledge to everyone or am I the only one (I totally know I won't be the ONLY one, but this phrase is commonly used here, lol)

Love, love, love the Sim behavior. It still knocks me for a loop when I play after all those years of t3 and how different that game is for the way I play.

One annoyance in 4 for me is the "Lot Info Panel" at the top of the screen. When I am changing the house out through the gallery, I find that I forget what size the lot is that I'm playing and have to go back out to the neighborhood view to read it off the info bubble of the lot, or sit there and count the stupid squares - both methods are a pain in the neck. I wish they would put the info somewhere on the lot. If it is already there, than would someone please tell me where?

That's all for now, anyone have anything to add?

Love the M key it's super fast!

• SimDadSimDad Posts: 523 Member
    I found the "M" key by a happy accident and I love it now.
    aTv8KCZ.jpg
  • grnblzgrnblz Posts: 247 Member
    @Windweaver Nope, not the only one. I didn't know about that key. I will have to try that next time I go into the game. Thanks for the info.
  • AnnePlaysAnnePlays Posts: 2,504 Member
    edited November 2014
    What does the M key do regarding travel, IIRC wasn't it the hotkey cycling object positions in a surface in Buy/Build Mode?

@windweaver - Ahh just read the whole OP, sorry needed my coffee, thanks for the info I did not know abut that :)
    muscle_gumball_by_vanillycake-d4a9ida.png
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,372 Member
    grnblz wrote: »
    @Windweaver Nope, not the only one. I didn't know about that key. I will have to try that next time I go into the game. Thanks for the info.

For sure grnblz! Enjoy, it makes traveling a whole new ball game!

AnnePlays wrote: »
    What does the M key do regarding travel, IIRC wasn't it the hotkey cycling object positions in a surface in Buy/Build Mode?

No, no matter what your sim is doing, (in live mode) if you hit that key it jumps directly to the loading screen for the neighborhood. You don't have to wait for your sim to get around to clicking his/her phone, you don't have to wait for him to finish what they're doing, you don't have to wait for it to get to a point where he can go to the loading screen. It's instantaneous.

From the neighborhood, of course, you just choose where you want him to go. I love it!

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

The way they often end up talking back to back you mean, eat while they are using the toilet and often don't react to emotional events like cheating and deaths ;)
    (just teasing, glad you like the game)
    5JZ57S6.png
    So I find it quirky. But to each his own, right?
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    The M key no never knew about that, will try that later after lunch and shopping.
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    I'm the opposite. I knew about traveling with M before I checked the phone. It's a habit I brought over from ts3. Lol
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    As Sims 4 is not the only game I've ever played in my life, M key was something I've tried before even playing with sims I created.

Sadly, not everything is "standardized". There is no quicksave on F5 or quickload on F9 for example.
  • MrGodardMrGodard Posts: 713 Member
    Yay, hanging around the forums pays off, I did not know about the M key, very useful. Thanks :)
  • SimSwim2SimSwim2 Posts: 2,481 Member
    I just discovered it a week ago by accident as well. I was entering my ctrl+shift+c button and accidently pressed the M key. So much easier. Smarter sims indeed.
    Origin ID: StripedRainbow
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I'm not going to get into annoyances, at this moment I'd just like to focus on the positives I can find. Here, in life, just in general.

In TS4 I am in love with the cabinet options. They make me happy. I love the variety of different pieces for each style and how you can really work them to make a beautiful kitchen. I really like those tall ones. I am thankful to whomever on the design team decided kitchen cabinetry needed expanding and did so.

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Also the G key can be used to cut the grid on and off in buy build mode.
    In TS4 I am in love with the cabinet options. They make me happy. I love the variety of different pieces for each style and how you can really work them to make a beautiful kitchen. I really like those tall ones. I am thankful to whomever on the design team decided kitchen cabinetry needed expanding and did so.

I agree. I looove the cabinetry in this game. I find myself using them for places other than the kitchen because they're so versatile.
  • Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    The "M" key worked the same way in TS3; it brought up the town view for traveling.
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    AnnePlays wrote: »

No, no matter what your sim is doing, (in live mode) if you hit that key it jumps directly to the loading screen for the neighborhood. You don't have to wait for your sim to get around to clicking his/her phone, you don't have to wait for him to finish what they're doing, you don't have to wait for it to get to a point where he can go to the loading screen. It's instantaneous.

From the neighborhood, of course, you just choose where you want him to go. I love it!

Cool, I'm going to remember this. More control over my minions - Mwahahaha
  • qrlcodeqrlcode Posts: 532 Member
    I love the M key until I accidentally hit it while trying to rotate an object.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    qrlcode wrote: »
    I love the M key until I accidentally hit it while trying to rotate an object.

Ohhhhh - that's what I hit when that happens - LOL - I've done that
  • AshkevronAshkevron Posts: 579 Member
    I sort of found it by accident myself, I am used to hitting the M key to view the map in online games, so when I wanted to go somewhere I hit the M key and wow....it works and then some. I use it constantly.
    I'm not going to get into annoyances, at this moment I'd just like to focus on the positives I can find. Here, in life, just in general.

Good for you staying positive! Yeah, I so agree about the kitchen cabinets, they really are neat!

Hi Cat! What do you mean? Just the lines or you can put things anywhere, like with the "alt" key?

Hi Cat! What do you mean? Just the lines or you can put things anywhere, like with the "alt" key?

He means the lines. To have free placement, you still need alt.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    I am annoyed by the M-key as I am asked you to travel with, and quite often hit the key accidently when attempting to hit the ,-key.