Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to change to the TS3 Style Camera

I still see quite a few comments about the camera being hard or confusing so just to make sure you all know about it - you can change your in-game camera back to the TS3 style controls by using the hotkey "Ctrl-Shift-Tab" OR you can change it in the options panel.

Comments

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Awesome I didn't know about the hotkeys but I did know about the options.
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    @nickibitsward Um...I switched back to TS3 camera immediately upon getting the game and I use the tilt all the time. So it's definitely there...
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    @nickibitsward Um...I switched back to TS3 camera immediately upon getting the game and I use the tilt all the time. So it's definitely there...

I will take another look because I cannot find it, and there have been postings on here about using a number key on the keyboard and one of the mouse buttons to get the tilt feature, which works but is a pain.

• catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Changing to Sims 3 camera-style still does not give you the "tilt" the actual Sims3 camera had and still, for me, makes building more difficult.

To use the tilt you use the wheel on your mouse and hold it down while moving the mouse until you have the camera where you want it.
  • Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    I have been using this Sims 3 camera mode and I like it much better! The only problem is when you go into "tab" mode (which I use to take pictures of my builds) trees, ceiling lights and columns disappear. I wish this would be fixed.
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Changing to Sims 3 camera-style still does not give you the "tilt" the actual Sims3 camera had and still, for me, makes building more difficult.

To use the tilt you use the wheel on your mouse and hold it down while moving the mouse until you have the camera where you want it.
    Thanks, I'll try that (they couldn't just use a button that says "tilt" like Sims 3?

• noodlesandmenoodlesandme Posts: 188 Member
    I'm sorry, it is NOT the same as the TS3 camera. There is no tilt, and there is no way to fully maneuver the camera without reverting to using keypad arrows. Totally dysfunctional.
  • PruThistlePruThistle Posts: 97 Member
    Another irritating thing about the camera is that it doesn't follow the sim while they are walking. It's very annoying to have to click on their avatar all the time just trying to follow them.
  • debsilva3debsilva3 Posts: 180 Member
    PruThistle wrote: »
    Another irritating thing about the camera is that it doesn't follow the sim while they are walking. It's very annoying to have to click on their avatar all the time just trying to follow them.

Right click on their avatar at the bottom of the screen and a small camera appears on their face. That allows you to sit back and 'follow' them. Not as good as TS3 but it does work.

Please feel free to add me on Origin. My username is mtglady
    I am also mtglady on the awesome Carl's Sims 4 Guide

If you can't talk to your cats about catnip, who will?

• Kuypers125Kuypers125 Posts: 781 Member
    debsilva3 wrote: »
    PruThistle wrote: »

Right click on their avatar at the bottom of the screen and a small camera appears on their face. That allows you to sit back and 'follow' them. Not as good as TS3 but it does work.

How is that 'Not as Good as Sims3'?
    Maybe it's just me, but that sounds exactly the same as how it worked in Sims3
  • mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member
    edited November 2014
    I think I'm using TS4 camera. Whatever annoying quirks I had in the beginning are gone, but it is hard to get that best photo. I'm sure there is a thread for taking better pictures.
    <----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***
  • thesims3mermaidthesims3mermaid Posts: 180 Member
    Great, I didn't know you could do that. I liked The Sims 3 camera controls a lot. I didn't really like The Sims 4 camera controls that much. You only have three options for it.
    7Ar0t8G.png

Or do both and create yourself as a mermaid.
  • SimGuruLyndsaySimGuruLyndsay Posts: 339 SimGuru
    I'm sorry, it is NOT the same as the TS3 camera. There is no tilt, and there is no way to fully maneuver the camera without reverting to using keypad arrows. Totally dysfunctional.

Are you using a laptop? You should be able to hold down your middle mouse button to tilt the camera up and down if you are in TS3 Camera mode. Or, you can use Ctrl+S or Ctrl+W or Ctrl+Up Arrow or Ctrl+Down Arrow.
  • SlyBootsSlyBoots Posts: 559 Member
    I have switched to the TS3 camera but it's still terrible, it's sooo slow and you have to scroll loads to actually get anywhere! Edge scrolling is really dodgy too, if it were actually the TS3 camera controls it would be great!
  • SimGuruLyndsaySimGuruLyndsay Posts: 339 SimGuru
    SlyBoots wrote: »
    I have switched to the TS3 camera but it's still terrible, it's sooo slow and you have to scroll loads to actually get anywhere! Edge scrolling is really dodgy too, if it were actually the TS3 camera controls it would be great!

are you using a mouse? a keyboard? touch pad? When you say "soooo slow" in what way?
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    lol I found that out on launch day in Options I was like well this is hard and i looked in Options and found that camera option thanks for putting it in works exactly like TS3
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • Blackflower365Blackflower365 Posts: 27 Member
    Part of the trouble I'm having with the controls is that the rotate-left and rotate-right are at the top of the screen. It's hard enough to get used to it being on the right side now, without the need to keep half my arm on the desk to be able to use it. And that slider bar to zoom in and out is way too fast and jerky. So I'm mousing because not having constant access to tilt simply isn't an option (what made the devs think that was something they could just eliminate?), having to let the mouse go to use keys to rotate as well as my left hand to control follow. I feel like an octopus without enough arms. Key mapping has been around for ages guys. Embrace it. Love it. The controls are just miserable.

Why was it necessary to make any interface changes at all? Two was the easiest to use, 3 a close second and 4, well it's just painful. A sweet interface is more precious than rubies. A game without one is like a day without sunshine.

I played 2 for YEARS (the XP finally died). I played 3 for a few months. I played 4 for a few hours. I then spent the last week downloading patches for 2 and trying to figure out if it will run on 7-64 with a GTX 660 card.
  • Blooming_LilacBlooming_Lilac Posts: 241 Member
    Part of the trouble I'm having with the controls is that the rotate-left and rotate-right are at the top of the screen. It's hard enough to get used to it being on the right side now, without the need to keep half my arm on the desk to be able to use it. And that slider bar to zoom in and out is way too fast and jerky. So I'm mousing because not having constant access to tilt simply isn't an option (what made the devs think that was something they could just eliminate?), having to let the mouse go to use keys to rotate as well as my left hand to control follow. I feel like an octopus without enough arms. Key mapping has been around for ages guys. Embrace it. Love it. The controls are just miserable.

Why was it necessary to make any interface changes at all? Two was the easiest to use, 3 a close second and 4, well it's just painful. A sweet interface is more precious than rubies. A game without one is like a day without sunshine.
    I played 2 for YEARS (the XP finally died). I played 3 for a few months. I played 4 for a few hours. I then spent the last week downloading patches for 2 and trying to figure out if it will run on 7-64 with a GTX 660 card.

I'm also having a hard time adjusting to the new camera controls (or lack thereof) after playing TS3 on and off for the past 2 years. Clicking on the top down view just isn't the same as having that tilt button. It moves my lots out of focus, and I end up having to scroll back and forth with the mouse wheel. Sometimes I can't zoom in close enough to see details clearly. (I'm still not always sure about the color of walls and other objects. I've adjusted lighting in the room(s) and in options, which hasn't helped.)

If/when you've found a patch to play TS2 on Windows 7, could you please post it on my profile? I've tried to play, but it always freezes after the intro with just the music playing. I'd really appreciate it, and thanks in advance. :-)
  • SlyBootsSlyBoots Posts: 559 Member
    edited November 2014

are you using a mouse? a keyboard? touch pad? When you say "soooo slow" in what way?

@SimGuruLyndsay I've tried using a mouse, keyboard and touch pad and basically what I mean by slow is that I have to keep my cursor against the edge of the screen for ages to get anywhere because it's not responsive or sensitive enough if that makes sense? Same with rotating, I have to keep picking my mouse up and moving it back because I've run out of space to move/rotate on my desk as a result of having to do the movement for so long to get anywhere (that probably makes no sense!). It's not a performance issue, my game runs really smoothly and it doesn't lag or glitch when I'm moving.

I just don't think the camera controls are sensitive enough in TS4. I.e. in TS3 I could touch my cursor to the side of the screen and it would zip off in that direction, which might have been annoying for some players but for me it's incredibly frustrating trying to get anywhere in Sims 4. :disappointed:

Post edited by SlyBoots on
  • Blackflower365Blackflower365 Posts: 27 Member
    Blooming Lilac-here's the link to the thread that has all the different fixes. I didn't look to see if your issue was listed. There are also some links on the thread to some off-site fixes for some specific problems. The whole process sounds so iffy, I've quite frankly been scared to try it. Oops, this forum isn't allowing me to post it because it says I haven't been around long enough. Let's see if I can rewrite it in a way that you can reproduce it.

reddit-dot-com/r/thesims/comments/2bkpn3/so_you_probably_got_the_sims_2_ultimate_heres_a/
  • Blooming_LilacBlooming_Lilac Posts: 241 Member
    Blooming Lilac-here's the link to the thread that has all the different fixes. I didn't look to see if your issue was listed. There are also some links on the thread to some off-site fixes for some specific problems. The whole process sounds so iffy, I've quite frankly been scared to try it. Oops, this forum isn't allowing me to post it because it says I haven't been around long enough. Let's see if I can rewrite it in a way that you can reproduce it.

reddit-dot-com/r/thesims/comments/2bkpn3/so_you_probably_got_the_sims_2_ultimate_heres_a/

Thanks a million! I found the site by searching the keywords "so you probably got the sims 2 ultimate". I hope I find a solution.

• MarianSimssMarianSimss Posts: 59 Member
    Thank you very much , I'll try :)
    akzxw0haknfw.gif
  • JenzupJenzup Posts: 1,620 Member
    I always liked playing sims on a console (Playstation 2 is what I used well I've played sims 3 on Playstation 4 though it was good still more limiting than the computer versions) because of the controller it made it so easy to play the game but I've stuck with the computer versions because they are more complete but I wish we could have the best of both worlds and have a control/joystick you could plug into your laptop/desktop that would be compatible with the Sims game. I wonder if you had a controller/joystick could you put more screen control options on it?
    :o They listened and gave us toddlers! Thanks Devs your work is appreciated.
  • suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member

I know change can be difficult but it shouldn't be this bad. I thought I was the only one having trouble with the camera controls. When I went from sims 2 to 3 I had trouble with the controls for maybe the first week. With sims4 it has been what, 8 weeks and I am still struggling.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top