Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you think about The Sims FreePlay?

WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
edited November 2014 in The Sims FreePlay
I was asking what do you think about The Sims FreePlay.

Even if I did get an iPhone, I wouldn't play The Sims FreePlay due to mandatory aging despite being optional in other games. Since the Life Dreams update, people disliked the aging feature and either stopped playing it or played an older version of the game. Another option is not do the quest but you'll not be able to access the future content in later updates.

FreePlay is differnet from other games such as Proposing charging the player whereas it's free in other games, Pools aren't unlocked at start and are very expensive (3x3 pool is §30,000 in FreePlay, I think vs §720 in The Sims 3 for the same sized pool), the game asks when canceling an action, Schools must be built, Child and Elder in TS3/TS4 are renamed Preteen and Senior, respectively in FreePlay and so on.

Edit: It seems that The Sims FreePlay dropped support for iOS devices running iOS 4, now you need at least iOS 5 to run FreePlay. Previous requirement was iOS 4.3 (originally 3.0).

Also one thing I forgot to note was that The Sims FreePlay requires an Internet connection and it's the only Sims game to require it. The Sims 4 doesn't require Internet to play although an Internet connection is required to start The Sims 4 in order to sign in to Origin. If you are not connected to the Internet and Origin isn't running, The Sims 4 will not start as the sign in will fail. If you are disconnected from the Internet after signing in to Origin, The Sims 4 will start.

Based on the replies, looks like FreePlay is part of the Broken Base. It seems to be one of the few Sims game I dislike mostly because of the aging and hard and time consuming it is. I used to like it when it came out but the newer updates changed my mind.
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
Post edited by WinMacSims3 on

Comments

• webdznrwebdznr Posts: 572 Member
    edited October 2014
    I didn't know about the mandatory aging. I believe I just made my final decision to quit before I get even more upset. I just began playing in August and was just in love with the game. In fact, I was spending more time on it than The Sims 4! I spent alot of real money buying game money the first two months (around $200.) I would build a house or open a business lot everytime one became available. Well once the timed quests came into play, where you have to build a building as part of the quest, I realized I was being penalized for having spent real money. I didn't know the more buildings you had the greater the wait time to build. I had a THREE day wait period for those quests with building involved. That set me back 3 days and that's if I didn't have something else building at the time the quest came up, that had to complete before starting the quest building.

So, I got to the Multi-Story Renovation quest and could not finish it in time, without spending a LOT more money to buy Life Points in the store. I assumed the quest reward of elevators and escalators would be available to purchase in the store, as so much of it is. I was wrong! I found out today they are NOT available. I am livid to say the least. I have to look at a neighbor's house who has EVERYTHING (I would say she is hacked.) And here I am spending real money and get screwed. And here I am willing to SPEND EVEN MORE MONEY to purchase the quest rewards they robbed me from in the store and they aren't even there!!! I was so upset I've been on forums all over the net today. I found out they removed the long hair styles from the store too. Fortunately I finished all those (as they didn't involve a 3 day wait period for building.) But there are some viciously mad players out there who thought they were overpriced in the store but are totally upset now that they are not even available for purchase any longer!

Who in the hell is running this show??? That's my question!! They have LOYAL, PAYING players who I guess are getting screwed at every turn yet we still want to purchase what they robbed from us and it's NOT AVAILABLE to buy. Really??? O>o Seems like illogical business sense to me!!

The incident of finding the elevators/escalators not available today has made me regret even downloading the app, let alone spending so much hard earned cash on it. I was in with the Sims Social debacle as well and also spent hundreds of dollars on that game only to get screwed in the end. I just should have known better than to give Freeplay at try.

I felt something was up about the aging but hadn't looked into it. I know many of my friends all of a sudden had TONS of old people in their town. I can also see that over 1/2 of my 100 Game Center friends have quit playing. One guy who I could tell had been playing a long time even killed off all of his sims but one, bulldozed all his lots but the starter house and kicked the garbage can over! ha Yep, what a way to keep the customers happy. What a way to manage the game.

Once again.. I ask.. who is the business mastermind running this show?
    Today, EA's customer service is getting one hell of a letter from me.
    The Sims 4 :: Think 'inside' the box.
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    webdznr wrote: »
    I didn't know about the mandatory aging. I believe I just made my final decision to quit before I get even more upset. I just began playing in August and was just in love with the game. In fact, I was spending more time on it than The Sims 4! I spent alot of real money buying game money the first two months (around $200.) I would build a house or open a business lot everytime one became available. Well once the timed quests came into play, where you have to build a building as part of the quest, I realized I was being penalized for having spent real money. I didn't know the more buildings you had the greater the wait time to build. I had a THREE day wait period for those quests with building involved. That set me back 3 days and that's if I didn't have something else building at the time the quest came up, that had to complete before starting the quest building.

So, I got to the Multi-Story Renovation quest and could not finish it in time, without spending a LOT more money to buy Life Points in the store. I assumed the quest reward of elevators and escalators would be available to purchase in the store, as so much of it is. I was wrong! I found out today they are NOT available. I am livid to say the least. I have to look at a neighbor's house who has EVERYTHING (I would say she is hacked.) And here I am spending real money and get screwed. And here I am willing to SPEND EVEN MORE MONEY to purchase the quest rewards they robbed me from in the store and they aren't even there!!! I was so upset I've been on forums all over the net today. I found out they removed the long hair styles from the store too. Fortunately I finished all those (as they didn't involve a 3 day wait period for building.) But there are some viciously mad players out there who thought they were overpriced in the store but are totally upset now that they are not even available for purchase any longer!

Who in the hell is running this show??? That's my question!! They have LOYAL, PAYING players who I guess are getting screwed at every turn yet we still want to purchase what they robbed from us and it's NOT AVAILABLE to buy. Really??? O>o Seems like illogical business sense to me!!

The incident of finding the elevators/escalators not available today has made me regret even downloading the app, let alone spending so much hard earned cash on it. I was in with the Sims Social debacle as well and also spent hundreds of dollars on that game only to get screwed in the end. I just should have known better than to give Freeplay at try.

I felt something was up about the aging but hadn't looked into it. I know many of my friends all of a sudden had TONS of old people in their town. I can also see that over 1/2 of my 100 Game Center friends have quit playing. One guy who I could tell had been playing a long time even killed off all of his sims but one, bulldozed all his lots but the starter house and kicked the garbage can over! ha Yep, what a way to keep the customers happy. What a way to manage the game.

Once again.. I ask.. who is the business mastermind running this show?
    Today, EA's customer service is getting one hell of a letter from me.

FreePlay will be the only game I won't play mostly because of the mandatory aging. I used to play The Sims FreePlay from the start until 2013 when I lost my Gen 4 iPod touch. Like most Simmers, I liked it until the Life Dreams update where mostly everyone had quit playing it. On the iPod touch, FreePlay lagged. Like you, I noticed that more buildings you have, the more money/time it takes to build it. I've heard that FreePlay is coaxing people to spend real money (mostly to get LPs). I've played FreePlay without using the in-app purchases but it can more time consuming and hard like the other Sims games. I haven't played The Sims FreePlay as of 2013 since I didn't have an iOS device so I don't know about the new content added. I think the last time I played FreePlay was when I helped Santa as part of a quest.

It's possible to play FreePlay as of Life Dreams but you can't do the quest if you don't want aging and that means no future content. The Saddle Up update did reduce the cost of aging but still isn't gonna help people like me, you and most Simmers who dislike the mandatory aging.

I agree about The Sims FreePlay having content that is lost forever such as the elevators/escalators. This also applies to The Sims 3 if you didn't pre-order the post-The Sims 3 Pets expansions. Regarding FreePlay, I wonder if the Katy Perry content is still available for purchase. EA recently took off Katy Perry's Sweet Treats and Showtime's Collector's Edition (which I own) but I've haven't heard anything about the Katy Perry stuff in FreePlay.

I remember The Sims Social, it was hard for me because I didn't have much Facebook friends and most required getting items from friends or using SimCash which you purchased with real money. Like FreePlay, I also didn't spend real money either.
  • thepinkwitchthepinkwitch Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited October 2014
    i never really liked it because you couldn't just age a fully grown sim, baby, toddler, teen or a preteen after some time. I was addicted to it for like 2 weeks or so but then it got really boring as i couldn't speed up the actions or queue them unlike the sims 3 or 4. One more thing that made me furious that i had 20 sims. I had to take care of them all. All their needs and all the jazz which was quite a bit work to do. Also the phones. I cannot use that to call other sims. I couldn't throw parties or hell, i couldn't use the car to get anywhere. The sims all looked the same except their hair or clothes. To give them a total makeover, i had to spend 12 LPs which was way too much for me as i didn't want to spend real money to get the LPs. And like these faults i stated above, there were more. I am not gonna state all of those though. So for me, It was a bad game.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    it was great until I had to steal the life of other sims to keep my main sims younger longer.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • ChubbyKatzeChubbyKatze Posts: 564 Member
    I got extremely bored with it in about a week's time. Aging is forced as is a lot of the game play in it. I thought it was supposed to be more like the Online Sims they have talked about for so long but it's just annoying. Making it into a Facebook type game just ruined it for me.
    It seems that The Sims FreePlay has a new update. It looks like it ported some features from Supernatural such as the Witches, Brooms and wands. Interesting that magic was added 3 years after FreePlay like how this happened with The Sims and The Sims 3 although The Sims 2 had magic added 4 years after base game.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I love freeplay so much better now that magic was added. although I wish my sims weren't forced to use wands, I believe the power is in the person not the stick or staff
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I love freeplay so much better now that magic was added. although I wish my sims weren't forced to use wands, I believe the power is in the person not the stick or staff

I know in The Sims 3 Supernatural that there's a LTR that removes a need for a wand and makes all spells never fail. TS3 also had wands with different stats but I'm not sure how wands and magic work in FreePlay.

Also the good thing is this is unlocked at level 8 (and this is before aging becomes mandatory) so magic isn't unlocked right away unlike Supernatural unless the Sims started as humans. In TS3, I believe it's hard to become a Witch because you either need the Elixir unlocked or if lucky, buying one from the Elixir store to become a Witch. Not sure how easy it is to obtain magic in FreePlay.
  • DemetriDemetri Posts: 48 Member
    Tried it multiple times but still was boring and lame in my opinion.
  • ImNoComedianImNoComedian Posts: 886 Member
    Real time is annoying

[img]http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/kill_it_with_fire.gif[/img]
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    It's a disgrace.
    oh3cjs.jpg
    Gosh, even Android users are upset at EA because they're not getting the RED update. Just look at the comments here at this video.
  • abbyshireabbyshire Posts: 601 Member
    Honestly, I don't understand the appeal of Sims Freeplay at all. I'm guessing the fans who actually like it have never played The Sims on PC. The graphics are awful, the linear gameplay is not fun, and using real time takes forever to get ahead in the 'game'.
    ETA: Darn you, autocorrect!
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    abbyshire wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't understand the appeal of Sims Freeplay at all. I'm guessing the fans who actually like it have never played The Sims on PC. The graphics are awful, the linear gameplay is not fun, and using real time takes forever to get ahead in the 'game'.

It has fans!? I thought it was the game PC Sims players like us play when we're waiting to get our PC Sims games fixed.
    oh3cjs.jpg
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    abbyshire wrote: »

It has fans!? I thought it was the game PC Sims players like us play when we're waiting to get our PC Sims games fixed.

The Sims' fanbase is divided between Windows/PC/Mac vs Console (mainly The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 as well as their respective successors, The Sims 2 Pets & The Sims 3 Pets), TS2 vs TS3, TS3 vs TS4, and don't forget The Sims FreePlay with their updates, especially Life Dreams introducing the mandatory aging feature that almost everyone hates.
  • colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    I never understand why the Sims Freeplay is still available... It needs to be burned and thrown off a cliff. >:)
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    I was a long time SFP addict until the death update. I wouldn't have lasted that long if I'd known about Sims 3! Being able to pause death was the key for me to try it. Now I'm hooked. The options for building houses, decorating and making Sims are just amazing.
  • Maxwell_CollinsMaxwell_Collins Posts: 143 Member
    I had a problem with the Sims Freeplay not because of the aging (I haven't gotten to that point), but the micromanagement involved with every action. If you haven't played in awhile, you will be forced to refill the needs of the Sims, which is time-consuming and painful, especially if you have lots of Sims (which is another feature I don't really like). Otherwise, the game is... alright?
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page
    Lunispellweaver (will try to change it)

Some of my Threads:
    8 Expansions I Would Like to See in the Sims 4
    DragonSim

> @Maxwell_Collins said:
    > I had a problem with the Sims Freeplay not because of the aging (I haven't gotten to that point), but the micromanagement involved with every action. If you haven't played in awhile, you will be forced to refill the needs of the Sims, which is time-consuming and painful, especially if you have lots of Sims (which is another feature I don't really like). Otherwise, the game is... alright?

If you don't open your game for a a couple of weeks you'll get a message saying your sims found a bunch of cupcakes and are all instantly inspired.
  • Maxwell_CollinsMaxwell_Collins Posts: 143 Member
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    > @Maxwell_Collins said:<br />
    > I had a problem with the Sims Freeplay not because of the aging (I haven't gotten to that point), but the micromanagement involved with every action. If you haven't played in awhile, you will be forced to refill the needs of the Sims, which is time-consuming and painful, especially if you have lots of Sims (which is another feature I don't really like). Otherwise, the game is... alright?<br />
    <br />
    If you don't open your game for a a couple of weeks you'll get a message saying your sims found a bunch of cupcakes and are all instantly inspired.

Well, that explains a lot...
    My YouTube Channel
    Draconic Gaming

DeviantArt Page
    Lunispellweaver (will try to change it)

Some of my Threads:
    8 Expansions I Would Like to See in the Sims 4
    DragonSim

I had a problem with the Sims Freeplay not because of the aging (I haven't gotten to that point), but the micromanagement involved with every action. If you haven't played in awhile, you will be forced to refill the needs of the Sims, which is time-consuming and painful, especially if you have lots of Sims (which is another feature I don't really like). Otherwise, the game is... alright?

That's what I also didn't like, not playing causes their needs to drop unless they are in a middle of an action. Really painful later in the game where you have lots of Sims. Can also be an issue if you have school/work, have to go to bed or otherwise be unable to play The Sims FreePlay for a couple hours or even days as the Sims' needs will drop. Also another annoying requirement is that you need an Internet connection to play The Sims FreePlay which can be annoying if you're traveling or inside a place with no WiFi. Very jarring if staying for a couple hours or days.

Similarly, if you don't play The Sims 2 DS for a couple days/weeks, you'll get no power, no guests, a re-processed object and possibly trash. Like FreePlay, it also uses real time.
    > @Maxwell_Collins said:
    > ZeeGee wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Well, that explains a lot...

:D :D :D
  • LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    I played it. I had a lot more fun than the Sims 4 tbh.
    > @LaAbby said:
    > I played it. I had a lot more fun than the Sims 4 tbh.

To each his own :) Everyone's different and plays they're favorite Sims game for lots of different reasons.