Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• KelSimmieKelSimmie Posts: 69 Member
    Okay, I'm having a doosey of a time trying to figure out how to do a round conical roof on top of my turret... you could do it with no problem in 3... but, the roof choices are very limited in 4 and for the life of me... I just can't seem to figure it out... and to me, my Victorian has to have a turret...

Oh, and good news! Gotta love Google Maps! I found that Victorian styled house back near where I used to live! =) So, I got some screenshots of it. I'm not sure if I'll use it as a model or not. It's rather big. And it's warm and inviting, not cold and spooky... LOL

Speaking of spooky... Hmmm... I should do a video of the screenshots of this next build (if I get it done) and set the background music to Alanis Morissette's "Uninvited"... talk about chilling... LOL I need to get off Imgur anyways... they only allow you to have 250 images or something like that, and you have to pay to have more and I take a boat load of screenies... so... I'm going to be looking into slideshow type software that I can use on my own hosting site (thinking about Coppermine)... and just do it myself...

But... back to the topic... (Welcome to my mind... it derails quite often!) (See?) LOL If anyone can point me in the direction of a tutorial that might be helpful or any other resource for how to do roofing on octagonal rooms, I would be very grateful! =) TYIA! =)
    SimtechiorDesignsSignature.jpg
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
  • DatkidDatkid Posts: 430 Member
    @KelSimmie I was trying to find out the same thing, but had no success. I just had to settle with the hipped roof. There is a possibility we could see them returned in a future patch or included in an expansion pack, but currently we don't have them. Here is a thread on the discussion in the meantime. Good luck!
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/778311/octagonal-rooms-roofing
    Have a look at my gallery yeah? JUMANJIKID
    ap2le.gif
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    edited October 2014
    Datkid wrote: »
    Notes: This was definitely a challenge for me because I usually never build on smaller lots, nor have I ever attempted a Victorian before. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and am very pleased with how the house turned out! :smile:

That's what these challenges are all about: having fun and trying out new things! When you are put outside of your comfort zone, you learn many new things, it's like a journey.
    That's what these challenges are all about: having fun and trying out new things! When you are put outside of your comfort zone, you learn many new things, it's like a journey.
    That's exactly what it felt like, a journey. And yeah, I did learn a few new techniques which is always helpful, especially for my future builds!
    ap2le.gif
  • Issabella14Issabella14 Posts: 1,656 Member
    Hi everybody, I would like to know if "Sims 4 Build-n-Share Challenge #3" is open or closed. I have not entered before and I am not sure what to do. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    Hi everybody, I would like to know if "Sims 4 Build-n-Share Challenge #3" is open or closed. I have not entered before and I am not sure what to do. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks

Hi @Issabella14, Challenge #3 is closed. We are now at Challenge #4. But don't let that stop you from doing the challenge! You can still give it a go and post your results. If you enter for the current challenge, then your entry will be judged.
  • Issabella14Issabella14 Posts: 1,656 Member
    > Hi everybody, I would like to know if "Sims 4 Build-n-Share Challenge #3" is open or closed. I have not entered before and I am not sure what to do. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi Issabella14, Challenge #3 is closed. We are now at Challenge #4. But don't let that stop you from doing the challenge! You can still give it a go and post your results. If you enter for the current challenge, then your entry will be judged.

Hi Dieter, thanks for your reply. What do I need to build for Challenge #4?
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Challenge 4 will be due one week from today, October 29. Here are the details: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/12857550/#Comment_12857550
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • allisoneg02allisoneg02 Posts: 2,870 Member
    edited October 2014
    > Hi everybody, I would like to know if "Sims 4 Build-n-Share Challenge #3" is open or closed. I have not entered before and I am not sure what to do. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > Hi Issabella14, Challenge #3 is closed. We are now at Challenge #4. But don't let that stop you from doing the challenge! You can still give it a go and post your results. If you enter for the current challenge, then your entry will be judged.<br />
    <br />
    Hi Dieter, thanks for your reply. What do I need to build for Challenge #4?

Check the first page :) I was just reading over the last few challenges and am sorry I missed out on them! Sounded like a lot of fun!

edit: didn't realize @pammiechick beat me to it!! oops!
    - Check out my youtube channel and my sims 4 legacy on tumblr-
    alliesim02
    The Scott Legacy
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    So how do you get Mr. Green as a playable ghost? He comes out from time to time and my character interacts with him, but he's not easily manipulated and when I use the household manager, it doesn't show him in the family--he's nowhere as a character. I'd like to be able to upload him. My original Mr. Green who died by fire is uploadable. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks for any help!!! :D
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    So how do you get Mr. Green as a playable ghost? He comes out from time to time and my character interacts with him, but he's not easily manipulated and when I use the household manager, it doesn't show him in the family--he's nowhere as a character. I'd like to be able to upload him. My original Mr. Green who died by fire is uploadable. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks for any help!!! :D
    Did you already invite him into the household? How did you get the first one uploaded?
    ap2le.gif
  • simhead70simhead70 Posts: 614 Member
    Congrats to everyone in the #1 and #2 Challenge results.
    b141edb2-262e-48c6-a432-99db802758b0_zpspfbmwyih.jpg
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    KelSimmie wrote: »
    Okay, I'm having a doosey of a time trying to figure out how to do a round conical roof on top of my turret... you could do it with no problem in 3... but, the roof choices are very limited in 4 and for the life of me... I just can't seem to figure it out... and to me, my Victorian has to have a turret...

I had the same issue. I found it could be done with combining the hipped roof and diagonal hipped roof, but only certain sizes work together.
    Oh, and good news! Gotta love Google Maps! I found that Victorian styled house back near where I used to live! =) So, I got some screenshots of it. I'm not sure if I'll use it as a model or not. It's rather big. And it's warm and inviting, not cold and spooky... LOL

Does the house really have to be cold and spooky though? I know our directive is to design for a ghost, but when I try to imagine it from a ghost's perspective, I would want my family home to be just as I remember it during the best time(s) of my life. I would want it kept nice looking, not run-down or decayed. I would want it to be inviting so that people would still enjoy living there; I would prefer having company. But that may be just me. And I may have it completely wrong. :p

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    I would want it kept nice looking, not run-down or decayed. I would want it to be inviting so that people would still enjoy living there; I would prefer having company.
    That's pretty much how I built mine. At first I interpreted it as old and run down, but then I googled "old world style interiors" and saw that most of the homes were very neat, so I went with something more inviting.
    ap2le.gif
  • Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    edited October 2014

You have to become best friends with ghostly Mr. Green. Your friendship rating needs to be 95% or higher before you can invite him into your household. It took me two days, without cheats, to make this happen. Good luck!
  • masajomasajo Posts: 5,993 Member
    edited October 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

CHALLENGE #: 4
    FORUM ID: masajo
    ORIGIN ID: Cevans1962
    LEVEL: Expert
    SIM: Mr William Green
    LOT: English Rose

LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW:
    LOT: English Rose
    http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/masajo1/slideshow/Ghostly Design
    http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/masajo1/library/Ghostly Design

SIM: Mr William Green
    http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/masajo1/slideshow/Ghostly Design/Mr William Green
    http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/masajo1/library/Ghostly Design/Mr William Green

ENTRY DETAILS:
    I named this 'English Rose' as I thought the shape depicts a rose, the soft pink resembles the petals and the green roof it's leaves. The two towers depict the sharp thorns. Typically Victorian exterior with gravel pathways, fountain, pedestals and topiary. Interior olde worlde Victorian style with rooms being entered from the main corridors.

Mr William Green became hysterical and shortly died of laughing too much. He visited his family frequently and soon returned to live as a ghost in the house. When he was living his aspiration was Joke Star and his traits were goofball, cheerful, self-assured and gregarious.

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC
    Post edited by masajo on
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • KelSimmieKelSimmie Posts: 69 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »

I had the same issue. I found it could be done with combining the hipped roof and diagonal hipped roof, but only certain sizes work together.

Does the house really have to be cold and spooky though? I know our directive is to design for a ghost, but when I try to imagine it from a ghost's perspective, I would want my family home to be just as I remember it during the best time(s) of my life. I would want it kept nice looking, not run-down or decayed. I would want it to be inviting so that people would still enjoy living there; I would prefer having company. But that may be just me. And I may have it completely wrong. :p

Cool! Thanks, @BryonyRae! I'll have to play around with the hipped roof and diagonal hipped roof. What did you mean though, that it only works with certain sizes? Is that the size of the elevation of the roof or the height size of the wall or the width of the wall?

And as for the spooky... I guess I just assumed since it was Ghost related and right before Halloween... and from comments others made... I could be wrong on that.

I'm also not sure what the brief statement of "Keep in mind that your client is a ghost with all your design choices" meant... would that be like they wouldn't need doors or something??? Or they can't pick up or interact with things??? Not really sure on that one.

And this would be a brand new build for him, it doesn't have to be from the 1800's, so it could include electronics and stuff, correct?

I'm so confused on this challenge now! LOL But that's just my brain nowadays... LOL
    SimtechiorDesignsSignature.jpg
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    ATTENTION EXPERT ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE #2

Your results are now available here.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    ATTENTION EXPERT ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE #2

Your results are now available here.

Congrats to the winners! Well done, one and all.

• Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    No, the build does not have to be spooky! As for keeping in mind that the client is a ghost, we meant to keep in mind the time that he would have lived :)
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • CreepsaCreepsa Posts: 30 Member
    > @FaithofKaela said:
    > ATTENTION EXPERT ENTRANTS FOR CHALLENGE #2
    >
    > Your results are now available here.

Congrats to everybody, all builds were amazing and inspiring!
  • masajomasajo Posts: 5,993 Member
    Many congratulations to all the winners, the builds here are awesome, so wonderful and inspiring :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
    Cool! Thanks, @BryonyRae! I'll have to play around with the hipped roof and diagonal hipped roof. What did you mean though, that it only works with certain sizes? Is that the size of the elevation of the roof or the height size of the wall or the width of the wall?

I meant the size of the roof itself. The diagonal roof is funky, and won't sit exactly right with the square roof at every size. For instance, I was originally going to make a narrow turret, but I had to size it up a bit for the diagonal roof to fit right. Once you start playing with it, I think you'll see what I mean.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    Congrats, all! And thanks @FaithofKaela for the clarification.
  • benlow11benlow11 Posts: 83 Member
    Congrats to all of the winners! & thanks for the feedback-I'm a few days late (established results), but thanks! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top