Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Flooring recolors?

I really need to make some recolors but it seems like nobody on the whole Internet knows how. Anyone here aware of how to do it?

Comments

• ChubbyKatzeChubbyKatze Posts: 564 Member
    Does this help at all? Sorry if it doesn't, I don't know much about modding first hand, only using the mods really.

I found a bunch of different types of tutorials, if the other doesn't then hopefully something here would help.
  • KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    I believe we are still siphoning out the meshes and whatnot. I could be wrong, I haven't checked in a few days.
  • Mynxie29Mynxie29 Posts: 9 New Member
    I've been searching for the meshes for the walls and floors as well. Haven't been able to find anything that seems to concern them in S4PE, they're really well hidden by the looks of things, just like the objects, I've been able to find some of the data files for them I think, but can't find the actual textures anywhere or meshes anywhere.
  • kittyfantastickittyfantastic Posts: 12 New Member
    Oh I didn't see this thread before! Darn, I was hoping someone knew. I'm dying for some new recolors. I'll keep checking back, if I find something out I will definitely share!
    Slowly finding image files for walls and floors, not sure if there's another part to the recoloring process though. So far hasn't worked just editing and reimporting with S4PE or replacing. If anyone else wants to give it a go. One of the walls is under fullbuild08 - IMG 00B2D882 0x00000 433DEC8DEABF99B9

But somehow I think there's more too it than just replacing the IMG file.... :neutral_face:
  • kittyfantastickittyfantastic Posts: 12 New Member
    @Mynxie29 Thanks for this! I'm going to see if I can find all the pieces. I'll come back with an update.
  • GothfortuneGothfortune Posts: 7 New Member
    Gotta love how Maxis claimed they made this game super accessible to modders and CC creators, more so than any prior Sims game, and yet only released a very limited tutorial for a modding system (which currently doesn't even work by their own admission) and then left any CC that wasn't clothing for the community to figure out, and at the same time made sure it was complicated to figure out.
    I'm also posting over at modthesims, my go-to site for any and all questions. But it would seem as though S4PE isn't yet up to reading IMG files. So I'm not sure if that's why I can't seem to get it to load into the game. I did get the game to recognize that I had added a mod but it didn't really seem to care for what it was reading. Not that it crashed or had any issues aside from just not reading the addition. I am starting to think however that there might have been some 'lazy' wall building with the Sims4. As I'm going through the various files that I can at least export to see what they are, I'm starting to think there might be one 'Main' file for the different colors and then the remaining parts are overlays. At least it's giving a recurrent theme as though that might be one of the issues. And actually that would fit with some of the other files that I've found when I initially started digging into things that looked an awful lot like textures for the various wallpaper parts.

If this is the case, recoloring walls could be reallllllly easy once S4PE is able to read IMG files... or an incredible nightmare!!!! depending on what you're trying to accomplish if they are all linked to one another. Though I have to imagine that there is someway to unlink them as well, so if you did cute little bunnies hopping along a plain wall, they don't get decapitated by the overlays of those little boxed walls. But right now that is just a guess, and here I was wondering how for once Maxis managed to get things fairly well matchy-matchy in comparison to the other games.
    ack sorry cat distracted me... the reason for the above supposition was so far I've come across 2 larger than normal files, one is a darkish brown untextured looks like a wall file, instance 4D93EAD1C8AAE... that was over 89kb unlike the rest of the wall and floor files, and a file that looked like a square of siding 2C5317EAE8F744.... which was also larger than the rest, including the ones that are most certainly wood/siding/slats and such.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    thanks @Mynxie29 for the updates, object recoloring is the thing i am desperate to do :)
  • simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    Gotta love how Maxis claimed they made this game super accessible to modders and CC creators, more so than any prior Sims game, and yet only released a very limited tutorial for a modding system (which currently doesn't even work by their own admission) and then left any CC that wasn't clothing for the community to figure out, and at the same time made sure it was complicated to figure out.

Far an away this game is way more open than previous, they gave us a forum(s), posted code, have been answering questions... we have our own gurumodsquad... we had ways to recolor clothing and other CAS files before the actual game came out.

I'd have to say that largely they are doing what they said they would.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • LaoiLaoi Posts: 11 New Member
    > @Mynxie29 said:
    > I'm also posting over at modthesims, my go-to site for any and all questions. But it would seem as though S4PE isn't yet up to reading IMG files.
    >

It isn't that S4PE isn't up to reading the _IMG files, its that it is still using Sims 3's data for tags and types (which makes perfect sense, as they haven't found every datatype yet, and this tool is based on Sims 3's.).

The things that S4PE call _IMG's... aren't. What are IMG files are tagged as UNKN with the type "0x3453CF95". Example: ClientFullBuild8.package, showing the base texture for a female shirt - puu.sh/bshcG/8f5f4327e5.png (I can't post links, yet, so copy/paste in the address bar). Specular/bump map files are also using this type.

This might only be clothing/body files, though, I haven't really come across any object textures, at all. :(
    I think the object textures are still buried in the .dds files that can't be accessed yet by S4PE, it's very likely the ones that can be exported are walls and floors by minority since there's a lot of maxis stuffs floating around, box covers and emotes and such. So 2/3rds is maxis propaganda, 1/3rd is left to walls and floors. And then the remaining inaccessible ones by virtue of elimination should be the object textures and likely meshes for the second set of inaccessible ones under the fullbuilds 6-8.
  • MomGinnyMomGinny Posts: 311 Member
    Mynxie29 wrote: »
    I am starting to think however that there might have been some 'lazy' wall building with the Sims4. As I'm going through the various files that I can at least export to see what they are, I'm starting to think there might be one 'Main' file for the different colors and then the remaining parts are overlays. At least it's giving a recurrent theme as though that might be one of the issues. And actually that would fit with some of the other files that I've found when I initially started digging into things that looked an awful lot like textures for the various wallpaper parts. <br />
    <br />
    If this is the case, recoloring walls could be reallllllly easy once S4PE is able to read IMG files... or an incredible nightmare!!!! depending on what you're trying to accomplish if they are all linked to one another. Though I have to imagine that there is someway to unlink them as well, so if you did cute little bunnies hopping along a plain wall, they don't get decapitated by the overlays of those little boxed walls. But right now that is just a guess, and here I was wondering how for once Maxis managed to get things fairly well matchy-matchy in comparison to the other games.

I actually think that sounds incredibly likely, given that they used a similar system to what you are describing for skin textures/tones in this generation of the game. I'm really hoping that you're right and it means recoloring will be easy once S4PE gets all its flags in order. I'm very much looking forward to having fun wallpapers and carpets (though the did an excellent job with paint this time around, I love the variety in the base game).

My Sims || My CC Creations || My Simblr || OID: MomGinny
  • ellisg360ellisg360 Posts: 11 New Member
    i'm looking for the same thing and i can't find anything on it either. i like the game but i feel stuck as far as building goes. i like to build most of all and my choices are so limited. i mean only 2 styles of carpets is kind of crazy. and even worse is that you only get a choice of 6 colors. hopefully this will change soon
    @Laoi - I do realize the tags in S4PE isn't concurrent with the actual data string. Believe me spending like 3 days straight scrolling through each individual file marking as exportable, not exportable, floor color, wall color, and 🐸🐸🐸🐸???.... So it was a misspeak to say when it can read IMG files in a way, but without another data tag to give it I'm going with what the program is currently calling it so as not to confuse folks with those files from the UNKW, DATA, AUEV, JAZZ, _RIG....Etc... And so far I haven't seen any wall/floor/object textures in the "UNKW" tagged files, nor have I found any clothes, hair, make-up (CAS parts) in the "IMG" files.

"A rose by any other name
    still has a 🐸🐸🐸🐸....."
    Wonder why Rose isn't considered a more masculine name??

Either way I'll be extremely happy when they get a few more data strings loaded into S4PE and iron out a few more bugs too. Of course EA/Maxis could help things along by just giving us a home crafter ;)
  • LaoiLaoi Posts: 11 New Member
    @Mynxie29 - I can't wait, either. I've been digging through the files as well, exporting things bit by bit and poking through them with hex editors, with little luck. It would be exceptionally nice if the Maxis Documentation could have given us some pointers for more than just tuning mods *sighs*. I would be happy just to find and be able to edit the walls and floors, right now, since building is frustrating me just a bit. I, maybe, take building in the Sims games a bit too seriously. ;)
  • EvaE1izabethEvaE1izabeth Posts: 49 New Member
    I wish I was computer literate enough to do something! I feel like an annoying, lazy spectator just watching while everyone else does all of the hard work!

I hope this time around I'll be able to learn to create recolors for walls and floors - I do all right with Photoshop, but it's making me a little nervous that the files are so unclear. I hope it works out, because I think I could make the selection of solid furnishings stretch a lot more if I could mix it up with walls and floors.

Anyway, to everyone working on the object creation side of things, you have a lot of cheerleaders!
  • OnewithwingsOnewithwings Posts: 56 Member
    I am hoping to create some flooring and wall recolors. I have never done CC, but I really want to try this. I especially want to do some for the carpet colors, they are so limited! I have never done CC but I think I could pull this off if I research it a bit.
  • Snosrap522Snosrap522 Posts: 754 Member
    Carpet recolours on MTS
  • Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    Snaitf's carpet recolors were made with a hex editor. Granthes has a new wall tool ( http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=721 ); that will be extended to floors and terrain paints.
  • SlingBlade5SlingBlade5 Posts: 47 Member
    That wall tool is ridiculously easy to use. The flood gates are now open......... Awesome stuff...
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    has anyone asked
    Snaitf's carpet recolors were made with a hex editor. Granthes has a new wall tool ( http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=721 ); that will be extended to floors and terrain paints.
    awesome, thanks for sharing it will be extended to floors and terrain paints.
  • Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    WallEz handles floors as of today's update :)http://sims4.the-prof.net/?page_id=455