Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    @RyeCris16 You're asking for half height stairs, right? So that we can do L's and half height landings, etc. If so, that's already noted. If not, then please explain a bit more for me. Modular furniture was already requested. As for split level foundations, if you could just apply foundations (and their heights) modularly, i.e. to specific rooms, wouldn't that accomplish the same thing? If so, that has already been requested. Thanks for the suggestion re: curved fountains. I thought we already had that, but we don't! Yeah, definitely curved fountains and pools! Adding it to the index.

As for corner stairs, I'm asking about this image below.
    7fe0324e33611c547c11c1236609dff4.jpg
    There was this kind of TS3 CC in Mod The Sims, but it is only a decorative object. So I want to see this as functional, in that way, sims can even walk through it.

And as for split-level foundation, well, I'm thinking about if cars and garages are in this game, it can be applied between different heights without the use of CFE cheat. So, yes. :)
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    Tiki5872 wrote: »
    @BryonyRae, what a terrific thread!! I really hope they are looking all of this over and trying to implement and/or fix the things that are needed. Most of the things I would suggest to add, have already been covered, but there is one thing that I did not see mentioned. It's about the friezes. If you are using them on a house that has a two story foyer (or something similar) the friezes will automatically go into that area of the house because it no longer recognizes it as a room. They really need to make the friezes to be placed manually instead of automatically so the player/builder can dictate where they need to go.

15196006315_6f50dcbc50_c.jpg09-09-14_11-04 PM-2 by rafanan_felicia, on Flickr

you can place those by wall with the alt key. (or was it the ctrl key?)
  • ReesesPiecesNo1ReesesPiecesNo1 Posts: 1,023 Member
    How do you enlarge objects. I saw a picture with a painting enlarged from its normal size..?
  • Puncky99Puncky99 Posts: 338 Member
    @ReesesPeicesNo1: use Shift+] to enlarge and Shift+[ to make an object smaller. It doesn't work on every item but it sure does on paintings.
    Onderschrift_Luna_1_met_Logo_zpsbwcad4il.jpg

EA ID: Simmie99
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/MoonshineSim
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MoonshineSim/
    Please visit my website for more of my creations.
  • HessethRanHessethRan Posts: 1,522 Member
    I unfortunately missed this thread and opened a similar one referring the objects that I would like to see added, so hopefully it's okay if I paste my list here. I went through and culled those suggestions which have been made before.

A. General

1. Colorwheel

It goes without saying that in the absence of a full CAST tool, a simple colorwheel would be a huge quality of life improvement. It would not only help us stay entertained until more items are added to the game, but it will increase the re-usability and desirability of any object made available in the future (including premium content).

If this is not possible in-game, would it be possible to build a tool similar to Create-A-Pattern which would allow us to import meshes, recolor them, and then export them?

B. Build parts and textures

1. Add a pond tool.

2. Terrain paints > Stone: more stone textures which match existing stone floor tiles

3. Wall patterns > Paint/Wallpaper: dark wood borders for textures which currently only include white wood; more colors and textures (true creams for simple paints would be awesome); more contemporary patterns for wallpapers

4. Floor patterns > Carpet; Linoleum: more colors; fuzzy/shaggy carpet options

5 Foundation patterns: more colors for stone and wood foundations

C. Buy parts

1. Comfort: sectional seating

2. Surfaces > Coffee tables: round, oval, and square coffee tables

Surfaces > Dining tables: large oval table

Surfaces > Accent tables: round, oval

Surfaces > Displays: shelves which can hold 1-tile and 2-tile objects; corner shelves; vertical pedestals ( (*) ) of various heights

3. Appliances: washing machines, dishwashers, garbage disposal machines

4. Electronics > Audio: tabletop ipod

Electronics > Alarms: house alarm system, even if it doesn't do anything

5. Storage > Empty shelf units we can place items on, including corner units

6. Lighting - General: light intensity level included in description

Lighting> Outdoors: tall lamp which doesn't look like a street lamp

7. Decorations > Plants: large flower pots; corner flower pots; wall pots (like the flowers in glass we all abused)

Decorations > Paintings: more vertical paintings which aren't jazz-themed; oval paintings; photographs; more portraits

Decorations > Mirrors: mirrors which sit higher on the wall; better yet, enable a mirror slider like the one for paintings/windows (I'm sorry if this already exists, but I can't seem able to move my mirrors)

Decorations > Curtains: contemporary curtains, more options for single/narrow windows, more styles and colors; matching sets for various window heights and widths

Decorations > Clutter and Misc. - some items in Misc. should be moved to Clutter and Wall Decorations because it's not obvious why they are in a separate category
    My Origin ID: RoseElsing
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    I really really hate the window placements! I'm working on a haunted house, and wanted to mix a certain window of which we have one with open shutters, and one with closed. Guess what, you can't place them aligned above each other! The one with open shutters is a two tile, and the other is a one tile! How are we suppose to get a nice looking house with this? Please make it possible that windows and doors can moved by half squares instead of one! So we can center them correctly and get better looks.
  • aquiliferaquilifer Posts: 206 Member
    I am having a couple of issues with columns lately. It looks like it's impossible to put a column on a 90 degree corner on the diagonal (see the picture). It gives me a message saying "Must be placed on the floor." However, there is no problem at all putting a column on top of a regular (not-diagonal) corner, so if there's enough floor for one, there should be enough floor for the other.

The other big issue I am running into with columns is if I try to use them with rounded fences. The columns still sit at the regular corners of each tile, which means that they can't follow the curve of the rounded fence. This is especially problematic if I try to use a rounded entablature (the game calls it a "frieze," but that's totally not a frieze; it's an entablature), because some of the columns will line up with the entablature, and some of them will not, which gives them different heights, because the ones which support the entablature shrink by one unit of height so that their capitals are underneath the entablature.

So, I want: columns that can be placed on diagonal corners, and columns which follow the curve of a curved fence section.

[img][/img]10-24-14_2-53nbspPM_zpseadac73a.png
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    I do not know if this has been said already but the lighting in the game needs to improve! I mean the interior lighting! All the rooms looks so dark inspite of using so many ceilings lights, desk lamps and wall lights! :(
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Tiki5872 wrote: »
    @BryonyRae, what a terrific thread!! I really hope they are looking all of this over and trying to implement and/or fix the things that are needed. Most of the things I would suggest to add, have already been covered, but there is one thing that I did not see mentioned. It's about the friezes. If you are using them on a house that has a two story foyer (or something similar) the friezes will automatically go into that area of the house because it no longer recognizes it as a room. They really need to make the friezes to be placed manually instead of automatically so the player/builder can dictate where they need to go.

15196006315_6f50dcbc50_c.jpg09-09-14_11-04 PM-2 by rafanan_felicia, on Flickr

you can place those by wall with the alt key. (or was it the ctrl key?)

It's the SHIFT key, so yes, @Tiki5872, you may be able to keep the friezes from going inside by using SHIFT. However, it's still not a tile by tile placement, but rather applies to the particular wall segment you're on (from one end of it to the other). So I could see that still causing an issue.

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    @HessethRan, it's fine to add your list here. Many of your requests already exist on the index, but I want to address a few things in your post that are not on there.

First, when it comes to specific styles of objects that you have requested (such as round and oval accent tables) or specific appliances, etc., I think we can all agree that we'd like to see them as well, but to go to that level of detail in the index is going to cause a lot of clutter, and also, I've got a hard limit of text in the index that I need to keep under. I believe (I hope) that the gurus are checking the index for main points and then reading our posts for the details, so your entire list will get seen.

Regarding mirrors, they are not shiftable because they are an interactive object. In order for the sim to animate properly when doing a mirror interaction, the mirror needs to be at a specific height. What we have requested is to possibly get some mirrors that are for décor only, i.e. are not functional, so that we could shift those. I personally would LOVE it, as I am not done with my mirrored structures concept. ;)

I am adding your request to enable shelves to hold more objects. They do currently support some 1 tile objects but not others, and it would certainly be helpful if we could place more and larger items on them.

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    I really really hate the window placements! I'm working on a haunted house, and wanted to mix a certain window of which we have one with open shutters, and one with closed. Guess what, you can't place them aligned above each other! The one with open shutters is a two tile, and the other is a one tile! How are we suppose to get a nice looking house with this? Please make it possible that windows and doors can moved by half squares instead of one! So we can center them correctly and get better looks.

It is frustrating. You actually already requested this on 10/3 though! I just need to move the request to the right category (it was in general and should be under doors/windows).

aquilifer wrote: »
    I am having a couple of issues with columns lately. It looks like it's impossible to put a column on a 90 degree corner on the diagonal (see the picture). It gives me a message saying "Must be placed on the floor." However, there is no problem at all putting a column on top of a regular (not-diagonal) corner, so if there's enough floor for one, there should be enough floor for the other.

The other big issue I am running into with columns is if I try to use them with rounded fences. The columns still sit at the regular corners of each tile, which means that they can't follow the curve of the rounded fence. This is especially problematic if I try to use a rounded entablature (the game calls it a "frieze," but that's totally not a frieze; it's an entablature), because some of the columns will line up with the entablature, and some of them will not, which gives them different heights, because the ones which support the entablature shrink by one unit of height so that their capitals are underneath the entablature.

So, I want: columns that can be placed on diagonal corners, and columns which follow the curve of a curved fence section.

[img][/img]10-24-14_2-53nbspPM_zpseadac73a.png

@aquilifer, will definitely add your first request. As for the second, once we get free placement of columns, which has already been requested, that should take care of the issue, right?

yanti68 wrote: »
    I do not know if this has been said already but the lighting in the game needs to improve! I mean the interior lighting! All the rooms looks so dark inspite of using so many ceilings lights, desk lamps and wall lights! :(

Yep, it's definitely been requested! For now, I am using the new debug lights when taking pictures. They don't transfer (yet), but it will be a big help when they do if the general lighting intensity hasn't been tweaked by then.

• CasseeCassee Posts: 3,710 Member
    Hi Ms Rae!!! I think your first post pretty much covers EVERYTHING I need to build. Must have different wall heights per room, half walls, MOO, more colors for building items, smaller landscaping edging, and stackable windows. I really miss my BauHaus set!!

Thank you for this thread!!
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. Bertrand Russell
    sims4siggie2018_zpslw60zcgd.png
    Cassee's Corner: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783956/cassees-corner-new-5309-memory-lane-wip-page-72/p1
    And here is my most recent collection of feedback:

Requests:
    • Let us place windows and doors on the same wall segment (not overlapping, of course).
    • Enable like pieces (such as shelves) to snap together even if the first object has been freely placed (with ALT).
    • Let us rotate roof styles. It would also be helpful if we could apply styles to specific areas of roof rather than to the entire roof.
    • Let us place fences on half tiles.
    • Add more roof trim styles, such as the lacy and ornate ones seen on Victorians.
    • Allow us to manually place roof styles on segments of roof using SHIFT (so that we can mix and match).
    • Let us extend roofs by half tiles.
    • Let columns and other non-interactive objects intersect with roofs.
    • Let roof heights be adjusted down closer to windows. Currently, they are deleting the windows when they are still a mile away from them. The window should not require so much "free" wall space - it should just take up its own literal space.
    • Add single tile hedges in the style of "High Hedge" and "Hedge Row" and allow them to intersect or snap together.
    • Let us select spandrel piece styles so that we can put a particular shape of spandrel where we want it. Also, let us place them indoors without the game deciding that it's now an outdoor space, i.e. roof pops into room.
    • Add lights that can be placed on fence posts.
    • Let us place clutter on pedestal sinks and toilet tops. We should at least be able to place soap on a sink!
    • Add sheer curtains or give us option to set opacity for curtains.

Glitches
    • The Mega Door (Deluxe) only appears arched on one side. Is this deliberate or bug? If it's deliberate, please give us a door that is arched on both sides. Here is an image of the door in question, placed both ways:
      megadoordeluxe_zpsc96e9ef4.png

• Columns and windows can overlap each other a bit when the column is placed on left side but not on the right side of the window when on a diagonal (see images below).
      columnsandwindows1_zpsdf57bff8.png
      columnsandwindows2_zps7c72452c.png

• Please fix the glaring gap between the floor and the wall in open story arrangements (see images below). I want to build open story areas, but the graphics are just too hideous right now.
      openstorygap1_zpsfe2b52c9.png
      openstorygap2_zpsbdf0f281.png

• The Return Desklight originally looked fine, but a few patches ago, it started looking like this:
      badlamp2_zpsdff76d83.png
      badlamp1_zps538e91bf.png

• There are graphical glitches when stacking diagonal half gabled roofs. Whether the glitches occur seem to be based on the roof orientation. When the roofs face certain directions, there are no problems, but if they face others, it gets weird (see images below).

See those funny lines on the left?
      diagroof1_zpsd36e8cf0.png

Everything is okay when turned this way.
      diagroof2_zps7649d8cc.png

And here we've got problems again.
      diagroof4_zps057a2526.png

But this way, they're fine.
      diagroof3_zps83011b83.png

• When combining roofs, the diagonal half gabled roof does not meet the regular hipped roof cleanly if you curve the diagonal roof (note that the hipped roof has been flattened).

Before curve:
      morediag2_zps23cb1188.png

After curve:
      morediag1_zps96f82cb3.png

This does not seem to be a problem when working with the regular half gabled roof and the diagonal hipped roof.
    edited October 2014
    @Cassee, my pleasure!

To everyone: the index has been updated. I'll let @SimGuruHouts know that there is new feedback to review.
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    Great sum up Bry! Hope the Simgurus reads this thread. :D
    I have updated the index today to take into account the new pool features. I'm pleased to report that pools are modular as we'd hoped and can be built into foundation as well as upper stories! Items that remain listed on the index with regard to pools and fountains are:
    • We'd still like to get curved pool and fountain sections.
    • Fountains still cannot be placed on foundations or flooring, nor on upper levels. Please update them so that they can be placed just as pools can.
    • We'd still like a true infinity edge pool option (but I'm guessing it will be a very longshot due to the addition of sims sitting on the pool edges. The infinity edge would have to be a new piece, I think, that is set such that sims can't route to it and sit on it.

Those are the main points I noticed. As I work and test more, I'll be checking to see if any other of our outstanding issues have been addressed. If you find something new & shiny, please report it here! Or if you discover that a listed bug has been resolved, or there's a new one, we want to know. Thanks!
    Can anyone assist me with testing on one of the index items?

•10/2/14 Rotate landscaping with structure (requested by hmsdrco2001)

I had read somewhere that you could do this by holding down SHIFT and find that it is true, but it seems very glitchy. When I was experimenting with it, it seemed that if you rotated the lot multiple times in succession, it would delete the landscaping items. If you rotated once, deselected the tool, then selected it again and the lot with SHIFT, it would rotate properly. Also, a couple of times when I was rotating, the tool seemed to go into move mode instead, repositioning the structure to another area of the lot. If you have a little bit of time to test this and let me know if you are getting the same or different results, I'd appreciate it. For my test, I used a 30x20 lot and built a small structure (something like 5x5) and then placed a few trees close by. Don't forget to move the mailbox close to the structure as well!
    The build I am currently working on has a lot of diagonal walls. Placing anything into diagonal rooms tends to seem more unnatural than into rooms at right angles to the lot, and the ALT key is becoming a dear friend. However, kitchen counters within diagonal spaces are terrible. There are two things I would like to see. First, I'd like to see a select-a-size counter option for a length of √2 (approx. 1.4; the length of one diagonal wall section). Being able to have refrigerators and ovens which fit those measurements would help, too, but I would be satisfied with the counters (and cabinets). Second, I'd like to have counter segments which bend not just 90°, but 135° (interior angle of an octagon) and 225° (exterior angle of an octagon).
  • RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    edited November 2014
    Me again for another suggestions and bugs I'd noticed:
    *Floating foundations. In other words, allow us to remove the foundation base while floors remained unchanged, which can allow us to build bridges, cliff-side homes, etc.
    *Speaking of removing, please let us remove gable roof walls and stair walls individually by using wall tool (like ones in The Sims 3).
    *Allow us to put water emitters in pools

Bugs:
    *Remember a foundation graphic glitch in Agave Abode? Well, even Parkshore, Cypress Terrace (Spencer-Kim-Lewis' lot), and Rattlesnake Juice has one too. See here for another evidence.
    r0YdFjd.png
    *Another graphic glitch found when two room-like posts, doors/windows, porch (1-tile to stairway), and stairs seating each other, and if your view going to the next floor, doors/windows disappeared with walls cut, unless you might remove any of these. See here for another evidence.
    msVAitw.png

Well, that's all I remembered. More to come again, sorry. :)

EDIT: I almost forgot:
    *Let us place stairs over stairs.
    11_10_14_5_34_PM.png
    Post edited by RyeCris16 on
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
    @aquilifer I decided to try placing counters and cabinets on a diagonal for myself, and I can see what you mean, I think, at least in part. For me, getting the counters to snap together in the first place was tricky (but do-able with auto-counters on and patience). Also, when placing them to the southeast or northwest, the counter backing shows up normally, but when placing them southwest or northeast, it doesn't. Also, even when using auto-counters, the game will not automatically place a corner piece as it does in a square room. When it came to the cabinets, they would not snap together at all in a diagonal room; had to be placed via ALT. Are these the same issues you had? If not, would you please detail yours?
    Also, I'd like to understand how having larger counter and cabinet pieces would help with this (it reads like there is some math involved which I'm not super good at, so layman's terms please :p ).

Regarding your request for corner pieces with angles at 135 and 225, I can definitely see how that is really necessary for octagonal rooms, and I will add it when I update the index.
    @RyeCris16

Great requests for floating foundations and water emitter in pools (I want the same thing, or new emitters that will sit properly in them).

As for removing the stair walls, you can sledgehammer them. It destroys both walls, but you can then manually place walls around them. Of course that does mean that the replacement wall extends out further than you may want it to. Is that why you are asking for this? There is currently no way to remove walls on a gable roof, so I could see wanting that for perhaps creating some cool effects, but wouldn't being able to sledgehammer them work just as well? Are you looking to remove individual wall tiles or all of the walls?

And regarding placing stairs over stairs, you meant in the case of floating stairs, right? I think that the problem with the stairs over stairs is that it doesn't make sense for the non-floating stairs, and I don't think the game knows the difference between them. Might be a tough one to implement, but we can ask.

I'll be noting the glitches in the index soon. I had experienced that doors/windows disappearing bug before but couldn't recreate it, so I never noted it. Now, you've given the steps to recreate it, thank you! However, when I tried your deletion method to resolve the glitch, it worked one time, but a second time, it did not work (even though I'd deleted both 1 tile rooms).
  • bokylie1bokylie1 Posts: 804 Member
    I am sure someone has already suggested this (maybe myself) but it would be great if we can actually have round rooms. Currently when using the floor that has a curved base, you can only use fences on the curve itself - I would love to be able to make a curved wall.
    Forum and Origin ID: bokylie1

BryonyRae wrote: »
    Also, I'd like to understand how having larger counter and cabinet pieces would help with this (it reads like there is some math involved which I'm not super good at, so layman's terms please :p ).

The length of one diagonal wall piece is equal to the length of approximately 1.4 regular wall pieces. If, for example, you try to put a gate on a diagonal fence in the game right now, any gate which is normally 2 squares wide will lengthen to 2.8 squares wide; the gates automatically adjust in size to fit two full squares whether you're putting them in regular fences or diagonal fences. I would like to have something similar with counters and cabinets. What I'd like to see is an option in the counter select-a-size function for a length of 1.4 (exactly one diagonal wall section), because then the counters could be the same length as the walls, and they would automatically be the correct size for the room without needing the ALT key or wrestling around with getting them to snap together.

Otherwise, yes, the problems you described are the same ones I was having, particularly with respect to placing cabinets.