The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• KraftySimKraftySim Posts: 277 Member
    Love the roof, @DieterPrivate!
  • KelSimmieKelSimmie Posts: 69 Member
    edited October 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

CHALLENGE #:
    FORUM ID: KelSimmie
    ORIGIN ID: KelSimmie
    SIM: Olsen #BuildnShare3
    LOT: Olsen Place #BuildnShare3
    WORKSHOP: Don Olsen's Workshop #BuildnShare3
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Lot: http://imgur.com/a/w5PMV#0 ... Sims: http://imgur.com/a/UANRE#0
    {Images may be out of order, will be trying to arrange them better)
    -
    ENTRY DETAILS: The Simtechior Design Team received a Fax from the Build n Share Headquarters calling all designers to come up with a design for client's Don and Judy Olsen. They mulled it over for a few days and decided to take on the project. They finished pretty quickly, but it took about a week to tweak the design to perfection and make sure there were no design flaws. When move-in day arrived, Don and Judy Olsen were very happy to have the house of their dreams unveiled. The outside was pure Colonial deliciousness with traditional Greek Columns, Clapboard Siding, and Shuttered Windows! The yard, walkway, landscaping, and porch were simply divine! Landscaping was provided by The Simscapes Corp. Don and Judy were in love with it, it was exactly what they were looking for! As they walked through the large front doors, they were pleased to find a very modern open first floor. In front were the stairs leading to the 2nd floor. To the right was the living room and to the left the kitchen and very unique dining room. Behind the stairs they find a half bath and then in front of the doors leading out to the back porch and patio area, they find a chess table. Upstairs to the left they find the Master Bedroom/Bathroom Suite. Again, a very unique open floor plan, with the Bathroom only separated by a little bit of fencing. And since it is open, to cut down on any smell from the toilet area, there are two thick bushes, one on either side. From the large jetted tub, the fireplace can be seen through the fencing as well as some scented candles. It also features a unique open closet system in the corner of the bathroom opposite the tub, closest to the bedroom. To the right they find Don's Workshop. He is very pleased at what he will have to create his masterpieces in. There are display shelves for his work, a bookshelf and comfortable chair to read and research in, a desk complete with tablet computer for on the go ideas and material lists, a painting easel, a wood working bench, a wooden barrel trash can, and plenty of cabinet and counter space. There are also some of Don's awards displayed on one of the counters as well. The spare/guest bathroom is quite simple with just a toilet, basin, and shower stall. The guest bedroom has a nice large queen size bed, 2 night stands, a dresser and mirror, as well as a bookshelf and chair to read and relax in. Finally they come to Judy's Exercise Room and she squeals in delight as she sees a weight machine, treadmill, and boxing bag. The upstairs hall wall has been left bare on purpose, it will be Don's Gallery. All through the house they find varied shades of browns and blues, sans the guest bedroom, which is in greens. Don's favorite color is brown, and Judy's blue. So we tried to incorporate that as much as possible. They liked the concept of sharing rooms with both colors and that while their respective hobby rooms were based in their favorite color, a touch of their soulmate's was included as well! We were happy to provide the loving couple a starting wardrobe in their favorite colors and their soulmate's favorite colors in the Formal wear and Sleep wear.

Don Olsen - Painter Extraordinaire, Perfectionist, Creative, Art Lover
    Judy Olsen - Friend to the World, Active, Cheerful, Outgoing

Lot Price: $10,000
    House Price: $89,943
    Total Price: $99,943

Workshop Price: $13,129

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: I don't use any CC, mods, and/or recolors
    SimtechiorDesignsSignature.jpg
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    And with that the third BnS TS4 challenge draws to a close, keep those peepers peeled, you never know what you might see next.....
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    This Week’s Challenge Specifics:

#4 A Ghostly Design

You sit staring out the window of your office, “Could that possibly just have happened?” you ask yourself. As you look down at your notebook, you find that the notes you took during your last meeting haven’t disappeared into thin air, so you suppose it must have.

“A small home, like this can’t be that difficult to build surely?” You think as you ponder your client, the most unusual client you have come across in your time as an architect and designer. “So, he’s a ghost?! That doesn't change the outline of the brief does it!?” Shaking your head you get up from your desk and stretch your legs, you hear Rose typing away in the reception area and pop your head around the door. “Any chance of a coffee?” You ask her, thinking surely some caffeine will help you get your head around the situation. As you turn back to your desk, you hear a small noise from the seating area.

There sat your client, again appearing as if from nowhere! You make a small girlish gasp, and immediately feel incredibly stupid. “Mr Green!” You exclaim.

“Ah yes, hello again, I rather feel we finished our little meeting a little quickly, I forgot to let you know that budget won’t be an issue for this build. Go ahead and spend as much, or as little as you like.”

Rose comes through the door and looks startled to see your client, she drops the coffee and apologises profusely, rushes back to the reception area to get some cleaning supplies.

“I’ll let you get back to your brief, thank you again for agreeing to take this project on.”

“It’s not a problem Mr Green, the build should be ready for you in two weeks, is that an appropriate time scale?”

“Perfect, just in time for my party, to which, you are of course invited and bring that beguiling assistant of yours.”

Rose enters apologising profusely, much to your amusement to the client, who has already vanished once more. As she looks to the seating area, her mouth opens in a perfect ‘O’.

“Hence my need of caffeine.” You say and you both dissolve into laughter.

The Brief:
    ❖ A 20x30 lot
    ❖ 2 Bedrooms, both with en-suites
    ❖ A further full bathroom
    ❖ A Victorian style floor plan (so no open plan homes)
    ❖ Victorian style landscaping
    ❖ An old world feel to the interiors
    ❖ Kitchen, Dining Room and Drawing Room/Music Room must be included
    ❖ Keep in mind that your client is a ghost with all your design choices
    ❖ You have an unlimited budget

Optional Challenges
    Sim: Create Mr William Green, a ghost who died from laughing too much, so his after life is quite serious. His Aspiration while he was alive (back in the 1800’s) was to become a famous comedian, and he was always a bit of a goofball.
    Room: Create the Dining Room of the home, a room no larger than 8*6 with a Victorian theme, you have an unlimited budget.

Hashtags used for this challenge
    #BuildnShare and #BuildnShare4

The Deadline for this challenge is Wednesday, 29th October, Midnight CMT.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    edited October 2014
    This sounds like a job for Modders! Oh if only a modder out there did design some spooky stuff that we could use. I am a little hesitant about this challenge due to the fact that Victorian, while pretty and attractive, is a weak point of mine in architecture and design. I never was a big fan of New Orleans and England's proper take on the style just always felt a bit cold.

I'll need to do some research and see if I can get inspired for this one. Interior designing will be tricky with our limitations.

Edit: I also need to ask just to verify. When you say an en-suite, do you mean that there will not be a wall separating the bedroom from the bathroom? It's all in the same room? A water closet type deal?
  • shenice93shenice93 Posts: 150 Member
    celdys0n wrote: »
    This sounds like a job for Modders! Oh if only a modder out there did design some spooky stuff that we could use. I am a little hesitant about this challenge due to the fact that Victorian, while pretty and attractive, is a weak point of mine in architecture and design. I never was a big fan of New Orleans and England's proper take on the style just always felt a bit cold.

I'll need to do some research and see if I can get inspired for this one. Interior designing will be tricky with our limitations.

Edit: I also need to ask just to verify. When you say an en-suite, do you mean that there will not be a wall separating the bedroom from the bathroom? It's all in the same room?

An en-suite is just a bathroom connected to a bedroom by a door. Basically, the only way to get to that bathroom is to go through the bedroom.
    Visit my tumblr for all my custom content creations: the-stories-sims-tell.tumblr.com
    edited October 2014
    two en-suite and a further fuller bathroom....and by definition, an ensuite is like a water closet. Wow, that sounds tricky @shenice93

Edit: water closet is equal to that of a half bath, it's the old-worlde term for an outhouse attached to the house back when plumbing was finally introduced to the world.
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    > @BuildnShare said:
    > This Week’s Challenge Specifics:
    >
    > #4 A Ghostly Design
    >
    . “Mr Green!” You exclaim.
    >
    > “Ah yes, hello again, I rather feel we finished our little meeting a little quickly, I forgot to let you know that budget won’t be an issue for this build. Go ahead and spend as much, or as little as you like.”
    >

I think I'm in love with Mr. Green!!! o:) <3 o:)
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Don_OelloDon_Oello Posts: 269 Member
    count me out for this challenge, i'm going on a holiday next week B) , when i come back i may have time for the room challenge. so this notice brings me yet another post closer to 30 :p :p
    mh0CjH8.png
    Check out my showcase
  • misscbongmisscbong Posts: 736 Member
    two en-suite and a further fuller bathroom....and by definition, an ensuite is like a water closet. Wow, that sounds tricky @shenice93

Edit: water closet is equal to that of a half bath, it's the old-worlde term for an outhouse attached to the house back when plumbing was finally introduced to the world.

I don't believe she means a water closet like you're thinking. It'🐸🐸🐸🐸 full bathroom attached to the bedroom only, so no door in a hallway leading in to the bathroom. Only someone in the bedroom can access an en-suite. It's common in master bedrooms.

Great challenge!
    @Don_Oello--is 30 the magic number????
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    misscbong wrote: »

I don't believe she means a water closet like you're thinking. It'🐸🐸🐸🐸 full bathroom attached to the bedroom only, so no door in a hallway leading in to the bathroom. Only someone in the bedroom can access an en-suite. It's common in master bedrooms.

Great challenge!

....then I am confused. Two en-suite with a full bathroom, what does that mean? Three bathrooms?!
  • Don_OelloDon_Oello Posts: 269 Member
    i read it at the forum rules i think, they say you need 50 points and 30 posts to be upgraded from new member to member. then we can place links in our posts
    mh0CjH8.png
    Check out my showcase
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    @celdys0n Yep 3 bathrooms. One connected to each of the two required bedrooms and then a separate 3rd bathroom. That's how I read it.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member

....then I am confused. Two en-suite with a full bathroom, what does that mean? Three bathrooms?!

Yes, but an ensuite doesn't have to have a shower or bath. It can just be a so called half-bath, or just a shower room. It means so many different things in different places. Where I live, we don't call it like that, but mostly it's just a shower and sink, so a shower room.
  • misscbongmisscbong Posts: 736 Member
    Good thing I re-read the challenge and noticed the lot size! I was looking up HUGE Victorian builds...yikes!

Time to scale it back a bit...
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    We count an bathroom that is attached to the bedroom as an en-suite. So yes, 3 bathrooms :)
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
    edited October 2014

Yes, but an ensuite doesn't have to have a shower or bath. It can just be a so called half-bath, or just a shower room. It means so many different things in different places. Where I live, we don't call it like that, but mostly it's just a shower and sink, so a shower room.

In the USA ensuite means that it is a full master bathroom attached to the master bedroom. The only way to get to it would be through that master bedroom, so the only ones that use that bathroom are the occupants of that master bedroom. This would be the most luxurious bathroom in the house. Most builders make the tub a garden tub or jetted tub. There would also usually be a smaller shower stall. And it's so weird... our house... the toilet was enclosed... complete with door... I couldn't handle that so we took the door off! lol There's usually a large walk-in closet attached as well. The word Master just means that the space is bigger and better than the other bedrooms and bathrooms. Also of note, Half Bathrooms are only the toilet and sink. Full Bathrooms have a way to wash your body either through a simple bathtub or a shower stall. And if it's a bathroom that is accessible to anyone it's usually small and the sink, toilet, and body washable systems are just basic, not fancy.

So, I would say that the intent is to have two master bedrooms with master bathrooms attached and only accessible from that master bedroom. And then make another full bathroom (toilet, sink, and bathtub and/or shower stall.

But, since it seems that the Build n Share team is based in the UK, it could mean something different, I'm not sure. Perhaps it's time for an official definition from Build n Share?
    Lebanna wrote: »
    We count an bathroom that is attached to the bedroom as an en-suite. So yes, 3 bathrooms :)

(Doh! Was writing this as @Lebanna answered it! hehe Glad to have a firm definition now!)

BTW, this looks like an interesting challenge. I haven't played with ghosties yet... Not even sure how you get a ghost... lol But, I shall research and figure it out! =) Will also have to research Victorian to get a design idea. Though, one of my favorites is one that got built back home... oh, it was sooo beautiful! And I got to watch them build it! Might have to see if I can find a picture of it! =) I think this is going to be one of my favorite challenges! =) But, I have to say, the last challenge with the Olsen's turned out to be pretty awesome! =)
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    edited October 2014
    "KelSimmie wrote: »
    And it's so weird... our house... the toilet was enclosed... complete with door... I couldn't handle that so we took the door off! lol

Lol (and I mean literally!). Personally, I also don't like such an enclosed toilet, but where I live, more than 90% of new builds and renovations create the toilet in a separate 'room'. People here are just so ashamed to each other and can't stand other one's rituals and doings because of low respect and understanding. If I try to reason for a toilet in the actual bathroom, than they say for example: But then my wife/husband can see me sitting on the toilet while she/he showers. And then I think: So what? You are in a relationship, don't you?

edited October 2014

Lol (and I mean literally!). Personally, I also don't like such an enclosed toilet, but where I live, more than 90% of new builds and renovations create the toilet in a separate 'room'. People here are just so ashamed to each other and can't stand other one's rituals and doings because of low respect and understanding. If I try to reason for a toilet in the actual bathroom, than they say for example: But then my wife/husband can see me sitting on the toilet while she/he showers. And then I think: So what? You are in a relationship, don't you?

Hahah! I tried that reasoning on my husband because I have no shame in that area. Our toilet is enclosed as well, which makes him happy. He still accuses me of being raised in a barn. Ah well, relationships have their uniqueness
    And it's so weird... our house... the toilet was enclosed... complete with door... I couldn't handle that so we took the door off! lol

Well... I wouldn't like it if my boyfriend is in the same room as I am when I'm doing my 'business'. (though I'm a girl, and girls don't do that right? where is this convo going!) But I agree on not having a toilet in the bathroom. Though I like to have a separate one for guests/downstairs too.

KelSimmie wrote: »
    ...... shortened a bit ....
    But, since it seems that the Build n Share team is based in the UK, it could mean something different, I'm not sure. Perhaps it's time for an official definition from Build n Share?

(Doh! Was writing this as @Lebanna answered it! hehe Glad to have a firm definition now!)

BTW, this looks like an interesting challenge. I haven't played with ghosties yet... Not even sure how you get a ghost... lol But, I shall research and figure it out! =) Will also have to research Victorian to get a design idea. Though, one of my favorites is one that got built back home... oh, it was sooo beautiful! And I got to watch them build it! Might have to see if I can find a picture of it! =) I think this is going to be one of my favorite challenges! =) But, I have to say, the last challenge with the Olsen's turned out to be pretty awesome! =)

Well, we are actually a mixture of where we are from. For example, I am Dutch :) (so tralalala forgive me any mistakes in the English language, which don't happen a lot I hope)
    We have someone from the UK and the rest is actually American :)

and how to get ghosts in your family:
    Build a relationship (friendship or romantic) and add the to your household OR use cheats to add someone (a ghost) to your household. I haven't tested this last one yet, but I assume it works.

• Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    KelSimmie wrote: »
    ...... shortened a bit ....

Well, we are actually a mixture of where we are from. For example, I am Dutch :) (so tralalala forgive me any mistakes in the English language, which don't happen a lot I hope)
    We have someone from the UK and the rest is actually American :)

and how to get ghosts in your family:
    Build a relationship (friendship or romantic) and add the to your household OR use cheats to add someone (a ghost) to your household. I haven't tested this last one yet, but I assume it works.

Yep, I'm the only Brit here!! But, yes, for me en-suite means full bathroom that can only be accessed through the bedroom (unless otherwise stated!) Thanks to @Lebanna for answering the question, and sorry I was unable to reply earlier, but I have been at work for the entire day, that means I am totally knackered now, and think it might be time for me to head into my game for some relaxation time :)

Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram

EXACTLY!!! My husband and I constantly talk to each other while the other is on the pot... who cares? Yeah, sometimes it smells... get over it... lol We're human... =) (And yes, I have no shame... Sorry if this offends! LOL)

Oh, and I was sooo tempted before I put in the open closet opposite the corner jetted tub, to put in a loveseat or chair so that they could sit and talk to each other while the other was soaking in the tub... lol

One of the reasons I think this has come to be, is that TV and Movies glorify and romanticize the relationship and the act. They never talk about people going to the bathroom or loo. They never talk about what else comes out of those parts. So, it's like it's been made a taboo subject not to be talked about or shared. So, in that case, I can kind of see the point of separating them. Me? I don't care... Life is not a movie or tv show, it's real... and the reality is... everyone... yeah, well... anyways... LOL

I'm weird, I'm warped, I'm twisted... I'll just shut up now... LOL
    edited October 2014
    Really? REALLY, REALLY, REALLY????? *pammiechick swoons* this is my 30th post!!!!!! :D
    iTvMKZ8.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top