Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plagiarism - Status of Original By as of the 3/22/16 Patch (see pg. 19)

Comments

• SimleySimley Posts: 284 Member
    I downloaded a lot and edited it several times for my own use, and at one point when I saved it the original creator's name was somehow removed. I did not do this on purpose. It's a fault in the system.
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    edited October 2014
    Simley wrote: »
    I downloaded a lot and edited it several times for my own use, and at one point when I saved it the original creator's name was somehow removed. I did not do this on purpose. It's a fault in the system.

@Simley, I think we all definitely agree on this. The "Original By" is not sticking to creations like it should. In cases like that though, I think the uploader should at least give credit for the original in their description, or if they can't fit it in there, in the comments section. It would definitely be better if it was always automatic though!

@JBEAR1 So sorry this is happening to you!

Edit: Oh, I see we got moved to Ideas & Feedback. Makes sense!

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    @BryonyRae I think people should not be allowed to modify and re-upload at all but it could be a broken nightmare. Like if they made the original by absolutely stick. I saved my work of many hours on a 50 x 50 last night and it decided to say it was made by kaidemoness because I'd put her ice palace on there to see what the fuss was about and it struggled to delete it. I'd be furious. Maybe if they fix all the bugs then a 7 day waiting time before anyone could steal your work? idk
  • Fyreflye9Fyreflye9 Posts: 59 Member
    How about a Maxis "Thief" badge that shows up on the person's page. :D

• cupidsarrow94cupidsarrow94 Posts: 21 Member
    After reading so many of your posts, I feel that all of your concerns are truly valid. The suggestion that was made about getting enough players to join in on the quest to protect the creations of the original creator is an awesome idea. I have been a serious simmer since the beta: simsonline, as a founder. I have this game grow through the generation of its existence. I speak from powerful experience with the simsonline...we came up with so many ideas that contributed to the advancement of the sims...if you believe in what you contribute to the sims...fight for the right to protect and respect what you do...I say this because your creations are an extension of who and what you are as a creator. I will also join and support you in your concerns.
    JBEAR1 wrote: »
    @BryonyRae I think people should not be allowed to modify and re-upload at all but it could be a broken nightmare. Like if they made the original by absolutely stick. I saved my work of many hours on a 50 x 50 last night and it decided to say it was made by kaidemoness because I'd put her ice palace on there to see what the fuss was about and it struggled to delete it. I'd be furious. Maybe if they fix all the bugs then a 7 day waiting time before anyone could steal your work? idk

I haven't had any trouble bulldozing things (yet). Is this a common issue? Yes, we would definitely want the process to be glitch free before this was implemented. The bulldozing would absolutely *have* to remove the Original By *every time*.

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    Fyreflye9 wrote: »
    How about a Maxis "Thief" badge that shows up on the person's page. :D

I think that could backfire - people love to get achievements and some insist on getting *all* of them. :p But seriously, it's often just a case of ignorance, not maliciousness, and it's incredibly hard to tell the difference. We just need a programmed solution so that it's out of people's hands.

@cupidsarrow Thank you so much! "Your creations are an extension of who and what you are as a creator." - I think this is exactly how a lot of us feel, but we've had trouble explaining it; you just expressed it perfectly.
  • JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    @cupidsarrow Thank you so much! "Your creations are an extension of who and what you are as a creator." - I think this is exactly how a lot of us feel, but we've had trouble explaining it; you just expressed it perfectly.
    -
    Kinda hope this isn't true as I've almost finished making Baywatch and I've no idea how it came about.
  • aquiliferaquilifer Posts: 206 Member
    I get especially angry when Maxis favorites houses that were originally designed by someone else. They did it again today, with some guy who plagiarized one of Fischio's builds. I came to terms long ago with the fact that Maxis doesn't really care for my building style, and if I were doing this to try to get downloads or favorites for myself, I would have given up a long time ago. Like most of the other people on here, I design things purely for the joy of the process. I am happy when others like what I share and make use of it in their own games, but I've never valued my own work based on the number of downloads I get. I mean, the build I'm happiest with from all of the work I've done yet since Sims 4 came out is one of the ones that has been downloaded the least. I still love it as much as when I made it.

But it is insulting to see someone get favorited without putting in any little bit of work on his own. I want to see an explanation of how Maxis (or the random Maxis bot) goes around picking favorites. And if it's not a bot, I hope they actually consider hiring someone who takes the job seriously.
  • aquiliferaquilifer Posts: 206 Member
    JBEAR1 wrote: »
    I saw someone uploading Dracifier's work, so I shamed people in the comments for not just clicking his name and downloading the original lol. It slowed right down but you can only do that if the name is still there I guess.

I appreciate that, tremendously. I've never been a vigilant watcher of the gallery, so this would probably escape my notice completely.
    @JBEAR1 LOL, you crack me up! Okay, perhaps not *every* creation is an extension of who and what you are. ;)

@aquilifer Ah, I thought that build looked familiar. What a shame that this has happened again! However, earlier in the thread, a simmer contacted SimGuruHouts regarding the same issue, and he passed on the info to whoever does the favorites, and the copy was removed. I don't know if Fischio is on Twitter, but if so, he should try to contact Aaron. I could do it, but I'd feel weird not knowing Fischio's own opinion on it.
    Argh, I just couldn't bear seeing that copy in the Gallery of Maxis faves again this morning, so I tweeted SGHouts. Hope Fischio won't mind. And of course, I hope Maxis will remove that favorite!
  • PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    I think Maxis needs and should pay more attention to the Creative Corner. Many creators (Fischio included) has their
    own showcase threads. SimGuruHydra and SimGuruPopTart did an amazing job with the Creative Corner back at the old site.
    They were two and in the end, mostly one. I'm guessing there are more than two behind Maxis.

Taking a look every now and then can really help them to better keep track of the original creators.
  • NADYSOPHIENADYSOPHIE Posts: 356 Member
    edited October 2014
    I agree with, because i'm not a good house builder, so when i use others peoples house and change them, i upload them but i always put the credit to the original designer, and say it that i change some stuff to my taste, that maybe other people would perfer the house as i changed and not the original. I'm better in decorating that in building, so when i find a good house form the outside i like to change the inside. And put it again in the gallery for every one, but i always say that is not original mine that i just edit in the description.

I agree because i understand the feeling of creating something and then someone else say that it was them, i love to draw and i hate when people steal others peoples drawing/art and say that they created, is not fair, people put a lot of efford and work in creating beautiful houses, they want to share it but they want the credits for it, and is normal, is not fair other person use that house and re-upload and say it that it was them who created.
    Post edited by NADYSOPHIE on
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    I simply do not understand the mentality of the OP and Simmers like her. This is a free community, it's not like you are losing royalties or some other forms of compensation for the things you make in this game. I view it as the greatest form of a compliment! Someone liked your lot or sim enough to make it their own.

How do you know someone didn't download something, put it in their gallery and then later see that they didn't upload it, so it must have been an over site, forgetting that they had downloaded it from the gallery in the first place?

You know, there are a lot of people who play this game, and not all are here on the forums or any fan sites. I'm willing to bet that they are the majority of those who play. They simply play the game without looking at who made the stuff, and don't care where it comes from, because you know? It's not copy righted to you or any other Simmer. You have no claim nor any reason to complain.

The only time it might come to notice is when EA offers a challenge. Then, by all means, if you are being copied or used then bring it to their attention, but otherwise, you have nothing to stand on.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    windweaver wrote: »
    I simply do not understand the mentality of the OP and Simmers like her. This is a free community, it's not like you are losing royalties or some other forms of compensation for the things you make in this game. I view it as the greatest form of a compliment! Someone liked your lot or sim enough to make it their own.
    It IS a problem when someone gets favoured by Maxis when they shouldn't be. I don't care how much anyone liked anything.
    We have the right to stand up for ourselves and our work when other people are getting credit for it.
    This is and will always be unacceptable among most creators in this community.
    How do you know someone didn't download something, put it in their gallery and then later see that they didn't upload it, so it must have been an over site, forgetting that they had downloaded it from the gallery in the first place?
    This is something most of us takes into consideration too.
    You know, there are a lot of people who play this game, and not all are here on the forums or any fan sites. I'm willing to bet that they are the majority of those who play. They simply play the game without looking at who made the stuff, and don't care where it comes from, because you know? It's not copy righted to you or any other Simmer. You have no claim nor any reason to complain. The only time it might come to notice is when EA offers a challenge. Then, by all means, if you are being copied or used then bring it to their attention, but otherwise, you have nothing to stand on.
    You make it sound like this discussion is basically pointless and I'm very happy to tell you that you're wrong.
    We got the "Original By" tag in the new game and one of the reasons we got that was because of the discussions
    we had on the old forum. Gurus have also stepped in more than once to show their support.

So yes, we actually have A LOT to stand on. The creative corner is a very large and supportive group in this community :)
    @windweaver, I and others explained our viewpoints earlier in the thread. I see no need to post re-justifications, especially since I think we reached a conclusion that should be amenable regardless of ones opinion, which is to ensure the "Original By" is preserved unless the lot is bulldozed. Simple and effective, and no need to worry about whether people understand what they're doing or not when they re-upload.
  • Candy_EllenCandy_Ellen Posts: 426 Member
    I agree, a simple little original by link would help most of the time.
    When you re-upload someone else designs, it should stick to the rules similar to a reblog.
    Hopefully these will be added in the future :)

I hate to think plagiarism is going on, in a place where we should feel confident to share our creations.
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited October 2014
    As I said, I don't understand the mentality, so argue all you like, it still makes no sense to me, unless, as I indicated, there is some contest or challenge going on, then by all means, carry on. Although from the sounds of it, you'll be doing that regardless of whether or not it makes any sense to me.

And as to the - "makes no sense to me?" I'm nobody, it's not like I have any influence over what Maxis or EA does. I figured this is an issue that needed some voice and I gave it some.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • TheGreenLionTheGreenLion Posts: 1,635 Member
    I'll explain my mentality when it comes to plagiarism of our creations. First and foremost it stems from a lack of respect for the time and effort it took to create what we have. Secondly, it's the product of envy. These thieves are envious of our talents and wish to bask in the same glow of appreciation. However, they aren't willing to put the work in as we have. I say we, but so far my builds aren't on their radar.

Rather than spend hours/days/weeks or even months making something unique for themselves to be proud of, they take a minute to steal your creation that YOU are proud of. What's more, they are praised for it, positively encouraged to keep stealing and living out this illusion of being a creator themselves when in reality they are just a thief and a liar. That is what saddens me the most. They lie to themselves and everyone else to get a few Favorites and Downloads. These thieves believe that it's a popularity contest and that it is okay to cheat their way to the top riding a creator's coattails. In some cases, their act surpasses the original creation and that is very wrong no matter who you are.

As creators we know that the value is not in the amount of favorites and downloads or to be popular, we love to create and we are kind enough to share our passion with others to enhance their games. We do enjoy receiving the appreciation of others however, and the Favorites, Downloads and comments are the only currency we receive. In turn we are happy and thankful to receive these things. We become confident to continue sharing, like it or not what others think of our work does matter. It can't quite compare to the joy and happiness we creators get just from the journey but it's like cherries on top of a cheesecake, a sweet compliment that without it wouldn't be quite the same.

We do not enjoy seeing someone taking our creation and abusing the system to make it their own without so much as a thank you or mention of the original creator. They know it isn't theirs and we know it isn't, but beyond that no one else could possibly know. How many copies of KaiXDemoness' Ice Princess are roaming the Gallery now? Dozens, at least one every day. Each one has a few poor clueless sots commenting on how amazing their act of thievery is, too. If they had seen the original, they would not be applauding them for stealing. I've left comments before on stolen creations to stem the tide of people giving them praise in addition to reporting it. A drop in the ocean to be sure, but you can't have an ocean without the multitude of drops that make it.

When someone steals from you or lies to you, it is emotionally and intellectually hurtful. Why must they steal our work to feel appreciated? Why must they lie to cover up something they know is wrong? Furthermore, what causes them to harm themselves in such a way? How do they not see that it does more damage to them than it ever could to us? They'll never be confident to create their own unique content, never as happy in receiving praise for something they did not make and will remain envious and disrespectful. If they ever realize this, it will hit them like a ton of bricks. They've lied to and stolen from people who do not deserve to be treated so poorly. They'll realize that they never moved on from square one when the illusion wears off and if it were me I'd feel ashamed. Video game or not, the moral implications are the same in any situation.

Windweaver, you are wrong to think that we do not lose anything for it and it is NOT flattering. We lose the appreciation of users that are fooled by these thieves. Each successful illusion is morally wrong, it doesn't have to have a price tag in dollars to be of value to us. Flattery would be to comment on, download or favorite a build you think is amazing, not steal it and re-upload it under your own name. I do not understand your mentality in that circumstance. I don't know about you, but I remember every building I've made from TS3 and TS4. It's a bit of a stretch to think that these uploads are a slip-up, that they poke around in their library and since they don't remember they just upload it 'in case they forgot to' the darn thing is tagged with the creator's name. I don't buy it, you can't dismiss the connection between a popular creation and a sudden influx of thievery of that creation.

Now it doesn't even need to be popular, I've seen re-uploads of popular creators works within hours of each other. Yanti's Rainbow's End is one such example. Thieves are now following her CLOSELY to see if they can steal something they believe will make them popular. They dare not show their face on the forums, the community would jump all over them for it. Such is our dedication to respect one another and let each of us be creative in our own right. I'm sure there are many, many more creators plagued with such cling-ons and that really makes me sad.

You should not be making excuses for them, let them explain themselves. You should know that it is WRONG, no matter that you put money above morality in your statement. Please do yourself a favor, stop defending the thieves and causing harm to yourself by being their voice on the forums. Remember that you said it yourself. I don't think you meant it to come off that way so I'm telling you now that I think you should stop heading down that path. You are a member of this community and have been for a long time. I respect you enough to tell you that and I hope you will be respectful enough to support your fellow members and understand their position on this matter. These concerns are valid in terms of intellectual and emotional damage. If it causes one creator to stop doing what they love, that's one too many. I haven't seen JBEAR around for a while, but I believe it is another matter to do with flaws in the Gallery system. We also have that to deal with on top of plagiarism. Of course, Eswen has had more than her share of problems and that she no longer shares anything is troubling. There are many more out there with the same problem.

Just to reprise that bloody wall of text the root of the matter lies in their lack of respect, their envy of our talents and the morally wrong actions they take to appear as popular as those they steal from. It's wrong, unacceptable and we can only stick together as a community and report this wrong-doing when we see it. We all paid for the license to play the game but that doesn't mean we should hold no value in our ingenuity to use it in ways that others might not because it's owned by Maxis and EA in the end. Respect, morality and integrity does matter and has value despite not being made of paper and metal.

I view it as a problem, one that Maxis should be interested in addressing as well. We can do our part by reporting, but they should also do their part by taking stock in our concerns and our ideas to help combat the massive epidemic of intellectual thievery going on in the Gallery. I do believe they have intervened on many occasions, but it is still a widespread problem. I do like the suggestion of a persistent 'Original By' tag that can only be removed by bulldozing and starting fresh. If they can close that loophole we'll all be better off for it.

So anywho, those are my thoughts on the matter. I stand for morality, respect and appreciation for others and I always will. I know each member here is different and such things matter more or less to each but we should all be supportive and try to help out where we can. That might be a pie-in-the-sky goal but you can bet I'll be glad to take part in trying to bake it. :p
    Thank you for your thoughtful post on the topic, @TheGreenLion. I'm guessing it will be a TL;DR for some people, but I thought it was well written and from the heart.

I've been thinking about plagiarism again during the past couple of days because once more, Maxis has favorited a blatant copy of a popular lot, in this case Oasis Modern by @ruthlesskk. Many of us have commented on the lot being a re-upload, so I hope that Maxis will remove the favorite in the coming week, but it just goes to show how having that "Original By" loophole causes confusion for them too. They could save themselves a lot of time in dealing with people's complaints about this if they would just close that loophole!
  • DippyDesignsDippyDesigns Posts: 1,809 Member
    edited November 2014
    Very well said @TheGreenLion

I have been thinking about this and think that if Maxis gave us the option to block other users by Origin ID we could prevent future thefts when we come across stolen creations? If you saw a user uploading Ruth's Modernity, you could then block that user from your catalog? Then Maxis would not need to become involved, we could just hide our work from the offenders? I think that would be a workable solution to the current problem.

A couple of days ago I was going through the most recent uploads to give feedback and favourite good creations and I came across four of mine, uploaded by four different people. I don't want to report them, I want to block them from my account as I don't want to share with them any longer? I posted a comment asking them to remove my lot and was told to "shut up"?

Please give us a way to block other users ourselves EA?

My Origin ID is DippyDesigns

DIPPY DOODLE on Facebook

644362_1491605541100631_1472781576571833276_n.jpg?oh=c0019c8ce2de98a0158c1aba60509bc8&oe=57C1A708

• LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    I don't normally read such long posts, very short attention span. However @thegreenlion I am glad I took the time. That was very well said and exactly how I feel.

I love building, it's what I mostly do in this game.

However, the second I realized how easy it was to steal things? The minute I saw the multiple stolen items in the gallery? I decided that I would not be sharing a single thing I make in Sims 4.

Consider that another builder lost, no...I am not a popular builder. However, as you mentioned about the drop in an ocean. How long will that ocean continue if it continues to lose drops?
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    I can't believe this is still happening. It was the rampant plagiarism in TS3 that was the reason why I stopped uploading stuff to my TS3/TS4 Studios. It's not fair for someone to spend days if not weeks on something only for someone to come along and get all the glory. There has to be a way to make it so that creators can upload their creations without having it snatched by someone else. :\
    EiFlric.png