Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• shenice93shenice93 Posts: 150 Member
    Managed to get all my build screenshots before my game crashed on me! Unfortunately, that was before I could upload to the gallery and get pictures of the Olsens doing there thing.

Also, what I wouldn't do for an extra $5k to do something with they backyard. ;)

I am proud of myself for building what I have in less than a day, though.
    Visit my tumblr for all my custom content creations: the-stories-sims-tell.tumblr.com
  • KelSimmieKelSimmie Posts: 69 Member
    Since there has been talk lately about how to delete duplicate entries, I thought I'd make a quick Tutorial. Hope it's okay to post it here, if not, let me know and I will delete it.

(See picture below for graphical reference)

Begin by Opening the Gallery.

#1 - Click on the Community Tab at the top center of the Gallery.

#2 - Make sure that it is set to "All" under the Cloud that say Community at the top left hand side - You do not want it on Maxis or Following. I think it is now defaulting to the "All" tab, but if it is not, click on "All".

#3 - Below that, under Category, make sure it is set to "All".

#4 - Below that, under Sort By, make sure it is set to "Most Recent".

#5 - Below that, click on "Advanced" to bring down its options.

#6 - Below that, choose "Include Unowned Content".

#7 - In the top right hand corner, under your account picture and name are the search boxes. Click the down arrow tab and select "Hashtag".

#8 - In the search box next to it, type in "BuildnShare3". (Or whichever hashtag you are looking for your duplicate entries under.)

#9 - Find and Click on your duplicate entry.

#10 - When your entry comes up, at the bottom left hand corner, you will see a green cloud with an arrow pointing up. If you hover over that button it will say "Remove Lot from Community". Just click on that cloud button and your duplicate entry will be removed from the Gallery.

Repeat steps #9 and #10 for each duplicate entry.

GalleryDuplicateRemoval.jpg

I hope this helps! =)
    SimtechiorDesignsSignature.jpg
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    edited October 2014
    Hey you guys, has anyone else had problems recently with parts of a 1st floor roof showing through the walls of the second floor? It wasn't like this last week when I put that bed and dresser and end table in and I have no idea why it suddenly started showing up this way and on only one side at that. I haven't done anything structural since then, just changed wall coverings, flooring, and added decor on the 1st floor, and landscaped, etc. I tried moving sims in to see if it would disappear in live mode, but nope, still there. I've tried removing the roof, saving and quitting, then going back in and rebuilding it, but it still shows up this way. And shortening the overhang does nothing to the part sticking into the 2nd floor, and I don't want to lose my overhang anyway. I may have to just abandon challenge #3. :(

Any tips?

x1JUteK.jpg
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    @ahholladay I haven't had that issue myself, but have you tried deleting that section of roof and then replacing it?
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    edited October 2014
    @Carewren123, I tried that a few times. I even tried saving and quitting after deleting it and then restarting the game before rebuilding, thinking that maybe it was just a little glitch that a restart would fix, but no luck. It's just so frustrating because it wasn't like that last week and there's no reason that I can think of for it to start showing that way. I'm fresh out of ideas. The fact that it's only on one side has got to be a clue to what's causing it, but I can't for the life of me figure out what that would be.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
    @ahholladay The only other thing I can think of is deleting the wall and replacing it. Have you tried that? Sorry you're having this issue. I think I saw someone else having that problem, but I can't remember when/where.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    If you look at my slide show, you'd see the same thing with mine. I had simply assumed it was because I deleted the floor tiles to get that open feel that allowed it to do that. I had no idea it happened for a different reason @ahholladay
    edited October 2014
    I just found this thread, it's not exactly the same issue, but maybe it could be the same/similar bug. This person found that the roof only hadclipping problems when the house was oriented in a certain direction.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/789372/roof-and-trim-cutting-through-walls-windows

so you might want to try rotating the whole house and see what happens. If you already have your landscaping done, you could take those photos first. Then rotate the house to get the interior shots of that room (If this even fixes the problem)

Edit: Actually what would probably be easier is just deleting that roof while you take the interior pictures.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

@Carewren123, that sounded like such a good idea. I had high hopes, but deleting and rebuilding the wall didn't do the trick either. :( And thanks for the link to that thread. It does sound like it's a bug rather than something I've done and rotating the house just wouldn't look right in this case. I just wish I knew what changed between the time I put that bed in and now. :/

@celdys0n, the bit of roof over the door? Yep, that's exactly what mine's doing. If I ever figure this thing out, I'll be sure to let you know how to fix it!
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @ahholladay, I know you tried deleting the wall, but did you try rebuilding the room as a unit? It seems like roofs work better with rooms vs. manually defined walls. It may be a longshot. I sure hope you resolve it, but I wouldn't scrap your challenge entry if not. You aren't at fault for a bug! To get a better screen shot of the room, maybe just resize the roof for that shot and then move it back.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    edited October 2014
    @BryonyRae, you helped me figure it out!! I rebuilt the room and the bit of roof disappeared, so I said, 'yay!' and started putting all the furniture and decor back in - the bed, the dresser, etc. and then I put back the decorative spandrels I had between the bedroom and the walk-in closet/dressing room area and *bam* the roof was back. Sledgehammered the spandrel, roof gone again! Maybe spandrels are meant for outdoor use only? I sure hate to lose them - it was the prettiest part of that room, lol. But I'm glad to be rid of the roof. Thank you so much - I would never have guessed the spandrels were the problem if I hadn't rebuilt the room! :)

@celdys0n, do you have any spandrels anywhere in your build that may be causing yours? My spandrels weren't even on the same wall or anything - they were across the room - but somehow they made that roof show up.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • KraftySimKraftySim Posts: 277 Member
    edited October 2014
    Congratulations to all! I have really enjoyed these challenges so far and am anxiously awaiting the next one. Free time to play the game as of late has been limited, but I do enjoy spending it on building. Despite my initial frustration with the budget on this challenge, it was completely doable, just lots of downsizing, lol. I am thankful for the length of the challenges for those of us with not a lot of extra Sim time! Thank you for all of the hard work you put into running these challenges - it does not go unnoticed!

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

CHALLENGE #: 3
    FORUM ID: KraftySim
    ORIGIN ID: KraftySim
    SIM: The Olsen Family | Don: Perfectionist/Bro/Art Lover | Judy: Active/Good/Neat
    LOT: Olsen Colonial
    ENTRY DETAILS: Only $89,858 (not including the price of the lot), this American colonial has stood the test of time in Willow Creek. Don't let the historical facade fool you. Although the bones of this house are old, the interiors are modern, fresh, and trendy, sticking with hues of the blues and browns found in the stone floors. Downstairs, there is a formal dining room, open kitchen and living room, and half bath. Outside there is a patio to enjoy the warmer weather and on the back is a woodworking shop. Upstairs is a master suite with jacuzzi and a guest room.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: none

oc1_zpseeb03624.jpg
    donjudy1_zps38ca57ba.jpg

ahholladay wrote: »
    @BryonyRae, you helped me figure it out!! I rebuilt the room and the bit of roof disappeared, so I said, 'yay!' and started putting all the furniture and decor back in - the bed, the dresser, etc. and then I put back the decorative spandrels I had between the bedroom and the walk-in closet/dressing room area and *bam* the roof was back. Sledgehammered the spandrel, roof gone again! Maybe spandrels are meant for outdoor use only? I sure hate to lose them - it was the prettiest part of that room, lol. But I'm glad to be rid of the roof. Thank you so much - I would never have guessed the spandrels were the problem if I hadn't rebuilt the room! :)

So glad you figured it out! Very interesting find. I haven't done much with spandrels inside, but now if this ever happens to me, I won't have to pull my hair out wondering why! I'm guessing that what actually happened was that because the spandrels are considered part of fencing, the roof no longer saw your room as a "room" when you added them, so it poked through.

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    edited October 2014
    ahholladay wrote: »
    Hey you guys, has anyone else had problems recently with parts of a 1st floor roof showing through the walls of the second floor? It wasn't like this last week when I put that bed and dresser and end table in and I have no idea why it suddenly started showing up this way and on only one side at that. I haven't done anything structural since then, just changed wall coverings, flooring, and added decor on the 1st floor, and landscaped, etc. I tried moving sims in to see if it would disappear in live mode, but nope, still there. I've tried removing the roof, saving and quitting, then going back in and rebuilding it, but it still shows up this way. And shortening the overhang does nothing to the part sticking into the 2nd floor, and I don't want to lose my overhang anyway. I may have to just abandon challenge #3. :(

Any tips?

x1JUteK.jpg

Well, roofs will only be cut by entire rooms. So I would think that the game doesn't think that room isn't exactly a room. Maybe check if it is really closed and seen as a room, otherwise recreate the room?

I didn't read all the replys yet, but it really seems that adding spandrels makes a room an outdoor room, which will not cut roofs.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited October 2014
    Thank you so much to everyone who replied to my questions about the gallery pricing and duplicates. With your help I was able to successfully delete all of my previous uploads and reupload a final version. I ended up doing a walk-through beforehand and I'm glad I did. Don was having trouble using the woodworking bench because it was blocked by the bottom row of shelves above it. So I deleted them. Also, when I first went into live mode, they immediately received $90. I was confused why until I noticed the door leading to the guest bathroom from the hallway was deleted due to a conflict with an enlarged painting. I ended up having to shrink the painting back to normal before I could put the door back.

When I went back into Manage Worlds after the walk-through to save it to my library and upload it to the gallery, I was relieved to find my total is still under 100K! Whew! \o/

I went a little screenshot crazy, it took almost three hours to upload them, but below is my very first BuildnShare Challenge entry for Round 3. Yay! I hope I did everything correctly. Thank so much again to everyone in the BuildnShare community. I love how you're all so friendly and helpful. You Rock! Happy Simming! :)

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

CHALLENGE #: 3 - The Olsen’s Colonial
    FORUM ID: Karababy52
    ORIGIN ID: karababy52
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/77m7v#0

ENTRY DETAILS:
    My entry built/designed for Don & Judy Olsen is a two-story, 2 bedroom, 3.5 bath home with a typical Mid-Atlantic Colonial style exterior inspired by examples I found online in the Williamsburg, Virginia area. It includes a built on addition for Don’s workshop and the Master Bathroom/Judy’s Gym Combo. While there are two chimney peaks, the home has no fireplaces. They were only added to help adhere to the look of this particular colonial architectural style. I had intended to add a formal herb/flower garden in the back, but I ran out of funds. Bummer… However, the home does have flowerbeds out front. There is abundant room left on the lot for the in-laws future home(s).

The interior of the home is decorated in my interpretation of a modern style. Not my strong point, but I tried! :) The first floor includes the entryway, living room, eat-in kitchen with a bar and dining room in an open floor plan, a full bathroom, plus accessed via the kitchen is Don’s workshop which includes a half bath. A covered patio area on the back of the house can be accessed from the dining room or from Don’s workshop.

The second floor includes a sparse hallway (I ran out of funds), the Master bedroom with an en suite bathroom with access to Judy’s Gym, and a Guest bedroom with an en suite bathroom which also can be accessed from the hallway.

GALLERY PRICE: $88,672 + LOT PRICE: $10,000 = $98,672 Total (Hope I did that right…)
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC, but I did use the enlarge tool on a few objects.

*Note: I did create Don & Judy Olsen and uploaded them to share, but will not be entering them for the separate contest since my Don isn’t balding and is clean shaven. I’ve included a few frames of them in the slideshow though just to show them checking out their new digs. I also will not be entering the separate contest for Don’s workshop.

Thank you for this challenge, I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

EDIT: Whoops, had the slideshow on private, but it's public now. :)
    @ahholladay I am sure it is because I deleted those floor tiles, but I am not worried about it. Figure it just adds something to that vwall, so I went with it. Thanks for the concern
    celdys0n wrote: »
    @ahholladay I am sure it is because I deleted those floor tiles, but I am not worried about it. Figure it just adds something to that vwall, so I went with it. Thanks for the concern

It really does add something to the wall! When I looked at your pics, I remember thinking that yours looked like an architectural detail put there on purpose. So for you it was floor tiles, for me spandrels - I just need to remember that anything that makes the game think it's an outdoor space may cause the roof to show.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    Challenge #: 3
    Forum ID: Rostri-Jodu
    Origin ID: rostrijodu
    Sims: Donald & Judith Olsen
    Build: Marygold Manor
    Link to entry slideshow: http://imgur.com/a/ePw15#0
    Entry Details: A 50 x 50 Residential Lot, with 3 Bedrooms and 2.5 Bathrooms, Valued at 99,998 Simoleons, Including the Lot
    Credit for CC/Recolors: N/A
    I'm confused. Are we supposed to be creating a slideshow for the sims we enter in the contest? Or are we supposed to include them in the home's slideshow? What exactly are the requirements for the sims in terms of showing them? In challenge #1, I had my designer in my slideshow, but I think in that one we were explicitly instructed to show sims in the building. In challenge #2, I made Douglas Curtis III, but I did not include him in the slideshow. However, I noticed a lot of you did put your sims in, so in this last challenge, I have a couple shots of the Olsens (but they're really just in the background). Are your sims scored on their own, or do they add in to your overall score for the challenge?
  • shenice93shenice93 Posts: 150 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    FORUM ID: shenice93
    ORIGIN ID: Shenice93
    SIM: I realized earlier that I didn't really follow the guidelines for the sims for this Challenge. Don doesn't follow the description in the set-up at all, so even though he and Judy are on the Gallery, I won't be entering them in the contest.
    LOT: Colonial Modern - #BuildnShare #BuildnShare3 #Shenice93
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Colonial Modern
    ENTRY DETAILS: At $99,924, this house expresses the traditional Colonial architecture while maintaining a sleek, clean, modern interior. You'll notice throughout the entire house, hints of smooth light wood, calming sky blues, and crisp whites. All contrasted heavily with darker woods and richer accent colors. The yard is freshly mowed and the gardening simple, enabling plenty of room for expansion as families grow. Enjoy!

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: The house utilizes plants from this set. Several items were enlarged using Shift + ]
    Visit my tumblr for all my custom content creations: the-stories-sims-tell.tumblr.com
  • masajomasajo Posts: 5,993 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

FORUM ID: masajo
    ORIGIN ID: Cevans1962

SIM: Olsen
    LOT: Savannah II (Please note original Savannah was over budget without me realising so I amended this to meet the budget and called it Savannah II)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW:
    http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/masajo1/slideshow/Olsens
    http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/masajo1/library/Olsens
    ENTRY DETAILS: 50x50 lot, Oakenstead plot in the Sage Estates area. 2 beds, 1 nursery, 2.5 baths, master suite including bedroom, dressing room and lounge, kitchen, dining room, study, lounge and woodworking shop. Outdoor patio/bbq and planted gardens with fountain. 89,982 simoleons (Gallery) plus 10K (lot space) = 99,982 simoleons total cost
    I gave Don the aspiration of 'Big Happy Family' with traits 'perfectionist', 'creative' and 'family oriented. Judy aspires to be a 'Bodybuilder', traits are active, cheerful and outgoing.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC
    uzE2H1V.jpg
    Since it does seem to take the judges a while to judge, I am considering in helping with judging the starter category. Any news about challenge 2 results?
  • NvZantenNvZanten Posts: 10 New Member
    edited October 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

FORUM ID: NvZanten
    ORIGIN ID: Zan9194

SIM: Olsen
    LOT: The Olsen Residence
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: plus.google.com/112982631907877810961/posts/JnvmEBRUeBf
    ENTRY DETAILS: This is the Olson Residence. A colonial style build, with a modern inspired interior. There is plenty of room in the large garden for expansions as well as granny flats for the Olson’s extended family members. It’s all yours for just $ 99.635.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: N/A
    Post edited by NvZanten on
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 3 - The Olson's
    FORUM ID: DieterPrivate
    ORIGIN ID: DieterPrivate
    SIM: Olson
    LOT: Dutch Colonial Cover
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Presentation
    ENTRY DETAILS: The budget wasn't that hard, but because I have struggled with the size and exterior of the home, and I didn't want to edit it, I had to save on the interior. But I guess that's ok for modern? I ended up using §99.983. I wanted to do Dutch Colonial because I like those more, I think it's because of the hipped roof. For me, it has such more character, though I also found many photos with 'ugly' ones too.... It seems to be hard to get the proportions right. I also didn't a lot of landscaping, as this will be further enhanced once the builds for the parents will be done. I positioned the home in such a way that all builds can face each other and have some garden in between them. Oh, and I really want more flexibility for windows, being able to place them on one or two tiles etc.... Overall, I had another great time building this. And I'm still surprised on how 'easy' it is to get something nice looking. The system is such easy to use and I hope they can enhance it further.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: Didn't use any.

Build-n-Share%20003.png
  • onikisuonikisu Posts: 12 New Member
    Official Entry Form
    Forum and Origin ID: onikisu
    Sim: The Olsons
    Lot: Coloneal 64
    Link: imgur.com/a/dH3oO#0
    Entry Details: Rushed through on the final day, forgot to take pictures of the whole lot. I decided to add an addict, but I can't take pictures behind the doors. 2 beds 2.5 bath, woodworking study, and backyard.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top