Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Easy How to: in game "custom" archways and doorways

ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member

I have been frustrated by the lack of archways and doors for the taller wall heights. The only archway for medium heights has a spanish feel that doesnt work with all building styles. And using the small sized doorways on the taller walls looks weird sometimes.

Anyway...I was playing around with the columns and hit on a way of making my own doorways. I like that it can be as wide as I want...3 or 4 unit wide doorways dont seem to be in the catalog....and I also like that I can add a little design feature too. Works nicely as a room divider for open concept designs or industrial loft spaces. So I thought I would share :)

http://getsimplyruthless.blogspot.com/2014/10/quick-and-easy-how-to-custom-doorways.html

ARCH5_zps72d1f354.png

customarch_zps241f02b8.png

ARCH3_zps285f102f.png

Comments

• KraslevKraslev Posts: 110 Member
    I figured this out too when I was making my most recent home and wanted a "slightly open" dining area! But there's only one tiny caveat: The columns have slightly more strict binding boxes than the doorways, meaning that placing items near them isn't always as easy as when you place an item near a doorway. Other than that, this has completely changed the way I look at building.
  • JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    Ah yes, stumbled on this too in my first build. You should put it in the decorators tips thread too kk.
  • ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    JBEAR1 wrote: »
    Ah yes, stumbled on this too in my first build. You should put it in the decorators tips thread too kk.

I have no doubt you figure it out right away...you are so creative with your use of objects. :)
  • JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    JBEAR1 wrote: »

I have no doubt you figure it out right away...you are so creative with your use of objects. :)

Thanks :blush: Sorry, I sounded like a smarty pants. You figured it out, I kinda bumped my head on it.

• BrokenChaos69BrokenChaos69 Posts: 928 Member
    Wow, this is genius. o_o So simple and great looking! Thank you for this. :)
    Gallery ID: ChaosKitten666
    I hope my Sims and lots aren't too terrible!
  • Chris2fer03Chris2fer03 Posts: 650 Member
    Such a creative discovery! Thanks for sharing, this has been a frustration of mine as well. Now I need to start another project! :)
    Gallery ID: chris2fer03
    ~Showcase Thread~ ~Photobucket~
    ophze_zps7vbzpsi9.gif
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Very cool idea, Ruth, thanks! One caveat though, @ahholiday just discovered that spandrels she was using in her build were causing roof edges to show up in her house. So people should be on the lookout for that.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    Very cool idea, Ruth, thanks! One caveat though, @ahholiday just discovered that spandrels she was using in her build were causing roof edges to show up in her house. So people should be on the lookout for that.

Yeah...that is because it must be a complete walled room unit to keep intruding roofs from showing. Once you demolish a wall, it is no longer a complete unit. Good point! :)

• ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    Oh, wow! I absolutely LOVE this! What a great idea! Definitely gonna try this out for my next build! Thanks! :joy:
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
  • Similly7Similly7 Posts: 188 Member
    the lack of high-wall doors is so irritating, you just made me day. great Idea :)
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    Thanks for sharing this! Looks great! :D
  • sarahewhysarahewhy Posts: 131 Member
    I'm glad all these spandrels are finally getting fenestrated.
    sarahewhy wrote: »
    I'm glad all these spandrels are finally getting fenestrated.

LOL!! I noticed that too...it made me so happy :D
  • KaylyRedKaylyRed Posts: 309 Member
    Cool, Ruthy! This falls under the Why Didn't I Think of That heading. :D
    Download the Americana Series! Sears catalog kit homes and more from 20thCentury America. Additional manors and community builds in my Showcase Thread.| Origin ID: KaylyRed

• YJB19299YJB19299 Posts: 5,801 Member
    I love your builds, Ruth :D Keep up the good work :D
    c6fj8ujnodut.png
  • doaoc07doaoc07 Posts: 81 Member
    Why haven't I thought about this?! This is an amazing idea!
  • RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    Wow! I haven't seen that one. Thanks for the tutorial, it helps a lot. :D
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    Very clever, and useful! Thanks for sharing :)
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    Great idea, Ruthy! I never thought about using the columns and spandrels that way. Helps a lot with doorways... ;)

Ed
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • superbibi11superbibi11 Posts: 486 Member
    The lack of high archways and door iis very frustrating. Thanks for sharing your idea, it's great!
  • s_al87s_al87 Posts: 70 Member
    Thanks for sharing!
    Only started posting recently after lurking on the forums for 5 years! :)
  • midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    this is such a good idea, thanks Ruthie! :wink:
  • AODDYAODDY Posts: 42 Member
    Thanks for this Ruthless, such a great idea!
  • sherrylynn8779sherrylynn8779 Posts: 2,102 Member
    Of all my uses of these, why oh why haven't I thought of that?! Thank you Ruth! :smiley:
    My Twitter:: My Facebook:: Gallery Name: sherry_lynn1979