Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION: (Announcement Added) The Unofficial University Challenge (Version 0.2)

ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
-- ATTENTION EVERYONE --
You may or may not already know, but I make mods for The Sims 4. Lately, I've been getting into the deeper parts of modding, and have been able to create test traits, test moodlets and even a test custom emotion - yes, that's horrible. I've started studying careers, and figured that I may be able to create careers that act as classes, and have the goals of this challenge. If I am successful, I may abandon this challenge in favour of those new mods.

It will be at least months - probably years - until we get an official University expansion pack for The Sims 4, so until that day comes, this challenge will allow you to get the university experience from the game.

This challenge is under constructions. If there is any part you think is too hard or too easy, please let me know.

(*) Table of Contents (*)
Setup
Core Rules
Majors
Post edited by Zerbu on

Comments

• ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited September 2014
    Setup
    Sims who are Young Adult, Adult or Elder may attend university. You can either create new Sims, use an existing household or split Sims from an existing household.

Create a dorm lot for your Sims to live in and zone it as residential. Merge the Sims you created into a group of 8 Sims.
    If you don't have enough Sims to send, merge in Sims that are randomly generated or downloaded from the gallery.

Use the FreeRealEstate cheat to move your Sims into the dorm, then use the "money" cheat to reduce household funds to §1,000. If playing an existing household, you may borrow money from the household funds by using the sims.modify_funds cheat to subtract the money from the main household, and the same cheat to add it to the university household.

Only one dorm is required for the challenge, though you may create others to visit.

Next, create a community lot where classes are located. When at class, you must follow a list of tasks in the "Majors" section of the challenge. It is recommended you create one lot that combines all the classes, as otherwise it will not be possible to control multiple Sims at once.

Aging should be disabled during this challenge. An optional exception can be made if you're playing on Long lifespan.
    Post edited by Zerbu on
    edited September 2014
    Core Rules
    There are "majors" that you can choose from. Each major has a set of tasks and skills that a Sim must accomplish in order to pass. Like in The Sims 2 University, there are four semesters (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) and each lasts a Sim week.

Class takes place on every weekday and lasts between 15:00 and 17:00 (I've chosen one specific time for all majors, as it would be extremely difficult to micro-manage in a player enforced challenge). There is also homework to complete for each major. The homework assignment is to be completed every day unless stated otherwise.

Each Sim starts with 0 points for each semester. The maximum amount of total points to get per semester is 10. If a Sim has a negative amount of points at the end of the semester, that Sim will have to repeat it. If this happens twice, that Sim will be kicked from the challenge and never allowed to attend university again. Sims that are only made for roommates are exempt from the challenge and not required to participate in any rules or even be controlled at all.

How to earn and lose points:

Arrive on the class lot before 15:30 with the right skills and start the assigned task: +1
    Complete the assigned task: +1
    Don't complete homework: -1
    Arrive on the class lot without the right skills: -1
    Arrive on the class lot after 15:30: -2
    Arrive on the class lot but don't start the assigned tasks: -2
    Don't arrive on the class lot at all and miss class altogether: -3
    Post edited by Zerbu on
    edited October 2014
    Majors (Under Construction)
    This list is currently under construction!

(*) Art (Painting) (*)

Freshman
    Required Skills: 2 Painting
    Task: Paint a medium sized painting on the easel. Once done, paint anything you want for the remaining time. The main painting must be completed on time. Paintings should be hung on the lot wall and not sold.
    Homework: Paint four small paintings while Inspired. Hang them on the wall of the class lot.

Sophomore
    Required Skills: 4 Painting
    Task: Paint a large sized "Realism" or "Abstract" painting on the easel. Once done, paint anything you want for the remaining time. The main painting must be completed on time. Paintings should be hung on the lot wall and not sold.
    Homework: Paint eight Sad paintings. Hang them on the wall of the class lot.

Junior
    Required Skills: 6 Painting
    Task: Paint a large sized "Surrealism" or "Impressionism" painting on the easel. Once done, paint anything you want for the remaining time. The main painting must be completed on time. Paintings should be hung on the lot wall and not sold.
    Homework: Paint four Sad paintings and four Confident paintings. Hang them on the wall of the class lot.

Senior
    Required Skills: 8 Painting
    Task: Paint a painting worth §600 or more on the easel. Once done, paint anything you want for the remaining time. The main painting must be completed on time. Paintings should be hung on the lot wall and not sold.
    Homework: Paint four Sad paintings, four Confident paintings and two Angry paintings. Hang them on the wall of the class lot.

(*) Literature (Writing) (*)

Freshman
    Required Skills: 2 Writing
    Task: Practice writing from the start of class to end. If you stop for anything, you fail the task.
    Homework: Finish writing a book. This can be completed over the course of the whole week, including weekends. Once done, place the book in a bookshelf on the class lot and don't publish it.

Sophomore
    Required Skills: 4 Writing
    Task: Write a book from the start of class to end. If you stop for anything, you fail the task. Once done, place the book in a bookshelf on the class lot and don't publish it.
    Homework: Finish writing a book. This can be completed over the course of the whole week. This time it does not include weekends. This must be a different book from the one you write in class. Once done, place the book in a bookshelf on the class lot and don't publish it.

Junior
    Required Skills: 6 Writing
    Task: Write a book from the start of class to end. If you stop for anything, you fail the task. Once done, place the book in a bookshelf on the class lot and don't publish it.
    Homework: Finish writing a book. This must be done in the first four days, and then is no longer required. This must be a different book from the one you write in class. Once done, place the book in a bookshelf on the class lot and don't publish it.

Senior
    Required Skills: 8 Writing
    Homework: Finish writing a book. This must be done every two days, but you get the last day off from it. This must be a different book from the one you write in class. Once done, place the book in a bookshelf on the class lot and don't publish it.

(*) Music (Any Musical Instrument) (*)

Freshman
    Required Skills: 2 Musical Skill
    Task: Practice musical instrument from the start of class to end. If you stop for anything, you fail the task.
    Homework: Practice musical instrument for at least six hours total.

Sophomore
    Required Skills: 4 Musical Skill
    Task: Play two short songs using the musical instrument. Spend any remaining time either practicing or playing other songs.
    Homework: Play two songs, and practice musical instrument for at least six hours total.

Junior
    Required Skills: 6 Musical Skill
    Task: Play one long song and one short song using the musical instrument. Spend any remaining time either practicing or playing other songs.
    Homework: Play two long songs and three short songs, and practice musical instrument for at least six hours total.

Senior
    Required Skills: 8 Musical Skill
    Task: Play one long song and one short song using the musical instrument. Spend any remaining time either practicing or playing other songs.
    Homework: Write a custom song within the first four days, and play the song in class on the last day.
    Post edited by Zerbu on
    Reserved
    Reserved
    Reserved
    Reserved
  • dmama1314dmama1314 Posts: 262 Member
    This sounds neat so far! I am bookmarking this!
  • dmama1314dmama1314 Posts: 262 Member
    Zerbu wrote: »
    Core Rules

Class takes place on every weekday and lasts between 15:00 and 17:00 (I've chosen one specific time for all majors, as it would be extremely difficult to micro-manage in a player enforced challenge). There is also homework to complete for each major.

How to earn and lose points:

Arrive on the class lot before 15:30 with the right skills and start the assigned task: +1

Arrive on the class lot after 15:30: -2

You have the top part with 1500-1700 and then to get points you arrive before 15:30. Shouldn't you have to be on time?

15:00 is the earliest you can start the task, but you're given an extra 30 minutes to get ready and there on time. :)
  • SiharaSihara Posts: 153 Member
    I like that touch, you didn't get in trouble for being late to work in TS3 unless you were later than a certain time-so I like it here.
    I'm glad to see people are liking the challenge! :D I'm currently deciding on the rules for the next major, the Writing one. If anyone is excited for a particular major after that, let me know and I'll prioritize it.
  • RoaneRoane Posts: 204 Member
    This seems so cool. Tagged it for later use. Thanks for developing it!
    The Geek Shall Inherit: The Merrigan Family Legacy Challenge -- Visit us on Tumblr.
    Origin ID: Tairgire
  • DameDallasDameDallas Posts: 19 Member
    Interesting!
    Glad to see people are liking the challenge! :)
    I've added the Music major!
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    This looks super fun! You could add a horticulture major (gardening), an ichthyology major (fishing), a geology major (digging rocks), a science major (microscope), an astronomy/meteorology major (observatory), a rocket science major (rocket), a culinary arts major (cooking), a programming major (programming), and a philosophy major (chess plus lots of deep conversations).
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • LTCWoodwardLTCWoodward Posts: 49 Member
    I like this idea! @CathyTea great suggestions!
    CathyTea wrote: »
    This looks super fun! You could add a horticulture major (gardening), an ichthyology major (fishing), a geology major (digging rocks), a science major (microscope), an astronomy/meteorology major (observatory), a rocket science major (rocket), a culinary arts major (cooking), a programming major (programming), and a philosophy major (chess plus lots of deep conversations).

Thanks for the suggestions! :mrgreen:
    Hey everyone!
    Sorry I haven't been updating the rules lately. I haven't really been up for it lately, and have also been busy with other stuff. I promise that I'll update them as soon as I'm ready.

If anyone here is really impatient for the major they want to be added, you can just make your own temporary rules for it. If you do, feel free to post your rules here, as it would really help me to have a template to work from. :)
  • AxeEclipticaAxeEcliptica Posts: 370 Member
    Kudos for giving this a shot, Zerbu! University is my all-time favorite expansion and waiting for it to come out for TS4 is going to be insanely difficult - this helps!
    I'm glad you're all liking the challenge. I have an announcement:

You may or may not already know, but I make mods for The Sims 4. Lately, I've been getting into the deeper parts of modding, and have been able to create test traits, test moodlets and even a test custom emotion - yes, that's horrible. I've started studying careers, and figured that I may be able to create careers that act as classes, and have the goals of this challenge. If I am successful, I may abandon this challenge in favour of those new mods.
  • AislynneAislynne Posts: 37 Member
    The challenge sounds nice and the idea of new custom careers that act as classes even better! I also really like the custom traits you made, hopefully you'll create many more in the future - they really add personality to my sims.
  • PatchymittensPatchymittens Posts: 6 New Member
    I have a question what times are 15:00 and 17:00? Also, bookmarked this because it looks awesome. Just might be hard to take 8 sims to 3 different classes at the same time. Nice challenge though! :D
  • number1THfannumber1THfan Posts: 5 New Member
    edited March 2015
    @CathyTea I used your suggestions to make a few more majors. Not tested yet so I dont know how well everything will work or if it will be too hard or too easy. Plz let me know!!

All homework is based weekly (does not need to b done daily; just have it done by the end of the week)

(*) Horticulture (Gardening) (*)

Freshman
    Required Skills: 2 Gardening Skill
    Task: Purchase any pack of starter seeds and plant them all
    Homework: Purchase a bonsai tree at home.

Sophomore
    Required Skills: 4 Gardening Skill
    Task: Research Gardening for 1 full hour; take care of plants
    Homework: Get Gardening skill 5

Junior
    Required Skills: 6 Gardening Skill
    Task: Fertilize all plants; care for garden
    Homework: Get gardening skill 6

Senior
    Required Skills: 8 Gardening Skill
    Task: Have a perfect garden; care for garden
    Homework: Reshape your overgrown Bonsai at home for 50 simoleons

(*) IT (Programming) (*)

Freshman
    Required Skills: 2 Programming Skill
    Task: Make a plugin
    Homework: Hack without getting caught

Sophomore
    Required Skills: 4 Programming Skill
    Task: Make a virus

Junior
    Required Skills: 6 Programming Skill
    Task: Freelance work

Senior
    Required Skills: 8 Programming Skill
    Task: Make a mobile app
    Homework: Get programming skill 9 and make a video game

(*) Astronaut (Rocket Science) (*) CANT BUILD THE ROCKET ON A COMMUNITY LOT.

Freshman
    Required Skills: 2 Rocket Science Skill
    Task: Upgrade your landing stabilizers
    Homework: Explore space until you reach Rocket Science 3

Sophomore
    Required Skills: 4 Rocket Science Skill
    Task: Expand your fuel storage tank
    Homework: Explore space until you reach Rocket Science 5

Junior
    Required Skills: 6 Rocket Science Skill
    Task: Improve your manuevering thrusters
    Homework: Explore space until you reach Rocket Science 7

Senior
    Required Skills: 8 Rocket Science Skill
    Task: Install ion cannon defense system
    Homework: Max out Rocket Science skill

If you have any suggestions for these or feedback I'd love to hear it (from anyone)! Thanks!
    Post edited by number1THfan on
  • number1THfannumber1THfan Posts: 5 New Member
    (*) Carpenter (Handiness) (*)

Freshman
    Required Skills: 2 Handiness Skill
    Task: Craft a horse sculpture
    Homework: Give toilets at dorm superior flush

Sophomore
    Required Skills: 4 Handiness Skill
    Task: Craft an end table
    Homework: Perform any upgrade on all sinks at the dorm

Junior