Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims progressing while I'm away

While I was playing with one family, one of my other sims gave birth and the game chose the name. I've turned off aging and autonomy and it still happens.

Comments

• Kuypers125Kuypers125 Posts: 781 Member
    edited October 2014
    it's a pregnancy.
    There is only so long that the game will let a Sim stay pregnant for.

If you want to choose the Baby name, be there for the birth.
  • renzillarenzilla Posts: 725 Member
    Unfortunately, nothing will stop a pregnancy from progressing, whether you're playing in that household or not, or if you have aging off or not. Sorry. :\
  • SueAlJen_123SueAlJen_123 Posts: 6 New Member
    So, basically, you can't rotate from family to family.
  • VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member

Not like you could in TS2, no.

You can turn the aging off but time still marches on.

• Kuypers125Kuypers125 Posts: 781 Member

Of course you can.
    But the game isn't going to pause a pregnancy just because you're not there to watch it.

• MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    Not if you want to control certain outcomes. Rotational play doesn't seem to have really been understood while they were setting things up. Story progression is also not well thought out from the threads I've read about what actually happens to folks played sims during rotational play.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
    edited October 2014
    You really can't rotate families without giving up the control over them.

when you return to a previous family the game will have random rolled their relationships and everything.
  • SimSiren3SimSiren3 Posts: 301 Member
    edited October 2014

Sure you can. Just not while someone is pregnant. Wait for the baby to be born, name it, and then rotate. I've been doing rotational play for weeks now with only active families aging, and it works great for me.

I do wish they'd warned us about the baby birth/naming thing. I didn't expect that either, the first time. Easy enough to avoid in future, though.
  • DescantDescant Posts: 41 Member
    Pregnancy is on a timer so the birth will happen "on time" with aging off. Just make sure you're there for the birth if you want to choose the name. :)
    SimSiren3 wrote: »

Sure you can. Just not while someone is pregnant. Wait for the baby to be born, name it, and then rotate. I've been doing rotational play for weeks now with only active families aging, and it works great for me.

I do wish they'd warned us about the baby birth/naming thing. I didn't expect that either, the first time. Easy enough to avoid in future, though.

You can do it, you just have to not care about whatever relationships get rolled when you do.

I'm finding it hard to get past that personally so it discourages me from rotating.

I should probably add - there is an advantage to pregnancy working this way. You can impregnate random townies, even homeless ones, and still actually get a baby out of it. Then add that baby to your household later if you wish using Manage Households. I did that once. :)
    Even sending sims to work and school is tough when multiple sims start at the same time. You have to make sure to go to each house and sometimes I can't get there quick enough. I guess I'll have to get used to it. It would be nice if they could at least give you a pop up notification.
  • jeanmichael01jeanmichael01 Posts: 62 Member
    Never ever leave a pregnant sim, even though the auto-aging is off. Just be there until they born, I guess it is only within a sim-week or more.
    mirai.gif
    "If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... A tragedy."
    edited October 2014
    Wait, I'm confused. You mean you rotate multiple times per day? That must be exhausting; your game time must be like 75% loading screen, hehe.

I play my families a week at a time.
    And in the meantime, the rest of my sims continue on with their lives. And you can't have more than one sim expecting at the same time.
    edited October 2014
    I haven't found that my sims do much of anything while I'm not playing them, at least nothing that's disturbed my gameplay. I switch families every (in-game) Sunday morning, and I have six families. This means six game weeks have passed while I was away from each family, and yet I've never found anything other than just the way I left it (right down to dirty dishes on the counter).

Edit to add: Sometimes friendships have decayed back to acquaintance, since it's been 6 weeks. But that's it, and I can get those back up in one evening of chatting.
    I guess I like to micromanage
  • starpandastarpanda Posts: 22 Member
    I have two separate families that I rotate between. The one family ages but the other ones does not. I have aging active household only and aging non-playable sims. Is this a glitch?
  • NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    I rotate between 12 families. I play one family for about 3 sim-days, and that represents one month of time. I move to the next family, play another 3 sim-days, and that represents the next month, so one full rotation is equal to a year in the lives of my sims. When I have sims who are experiencing "big" birthdays -- aging up -- or when I have sims who are expecting visits from the stork, I mark in on my rotation schedule and go back to play, and that's a bit of a sticky wicket in Sims 4 since the pregnancy continues while I'm away. So, if Sim Nicole gets pregnant when I play her family in "January", using EA's time-table, she's going to have the baby while I'm playing the next family in "February". Nope, that doesn't work for me. Fortunately, I've found a "mod" that allows me to set the pregnancy for 30 days -- allowing me time to play through additional months before going back to the family expecting the new arrival.

I don't like the fact that my sims are "progressing" while I'm gone, but at least it's better than Sims 3. Because of "story progression" I was unable to play my rotational style with Sims 3. I quit the game completely as a result, so I'm happy I can now resume playing, even though I'm playing on a much smaller scale than I did with Sims 2. In that game, I rotated between 140 different families.

I don't object to my sims developing friendships or even mild crushes while I'm playing other families, but I don't ever want them to fall in love, get married, or have babies while I'm away, nor do I want them earning money, getting promotions, quitting their jobs, or pursuing new careers.

Everyone has their own individual play style, and I hope someday EA recognizes this and creates a game that allows us to set many options for ourselves, such as the length of pregnancy or the length of each stage of the aging process.
  • tinarusselltinarussell Posts: 114 Member
    edited October 2014
    SimSiren3 wrote: »

When I rotated families in Sims 3 it would name the baby then as well. Not sure how it can be avoided. The kid would never have a name if the game didn't name it while you are controlling another household. It's like if your sim guy gets a girl pregnant who doesn't live in your household the game will name it then as well both in sims 4 and it did it in sims 3 as well. Although it's actually much worse now if you have a kid by a sim not in your household. I did this and the girl had twins but the twins were their own household. They didn't even live in the mom's household! How dumb is that?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Kuypers125 wrote: »

Of course you can.
    But the game isn't going to pause a pregnancy just because you're not there to watch it.

But in TS2 aging off meant time stopped so the baby didn't grow, if they baby doesn't grow then it can't be born. That is the point of rotational game play....Sims don't progress without you...it seems they didn't quite decide how it was going to work in this game. Lots of things in TS2 couldn't happen if aging was off...or autonomy was off..but neither seem to stop anything in this game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Jlm0072012Jlm0072012 Posts: 159 Member
    I pause the game before I exit. That way they can't do things I don't want them too.