Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How are you handeling Individual Intrests with No Open world?

I am so used to sending my Sims to pursue their own interests and leaving them to it while tending to another family member. I am finding it really hard to manage this now that I can only have control on one lot at a time. I found that I could have my Sim tend to his own needs but when I swapped lots I saw that my Sim that was practicing writing at the library ended up standing on the sidewalk when I switched back to her accomplishing nothing. Am I missing something as far as ways to have them set up for an activity and them skilling or must I be watching that Sim at all times? Managing a large family will be hard, I can hardly do 2 with separate goals right now!

Comments

• AmphibienAmphibien Posts: 85 Member
    I think your Sim is just slowly gaining writing skill instead of the game actually simulating the actions.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    They will do their own thing when you leave them on a lot. It bothered me at first, but not so much anymore. I figured its best not to micromanage in this game and let them be for a bit while I tend to a sim I take off lot. They take care of themselves well enough. Sometimes I send the entire household out together if they can meet several needs by going on an outing.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • LorindLorind Posts: 65 Member
    Thanks! I was doubting if she was skilling as when I went back to the lot she was there by the sidewalk as if she had just arrived at the library. She needed to have a set amount of writing in for her work performance and I worried when I went back to the home lot for a bit that time was passing and she was not doing anything that was going to count toward that 3 hours of writing requirement. I am still just starting out with the game
  • conundrum_dragonconundrum_dragon Posts: 794 Member
    When I send them off, I usually click on the pic of them, and tell them what I want them to do. If there is not something I like I just let them care for themselves. Mostly get them to talk to other sim's to build friendships. So hard to get and keep friends in this game.
  • VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    Rarely leaving the house for anything other than school or work is how I've handled it.
  • Kuypers125Kuypers125 Posts: 781 Member
    edited October 2014
    I handle it the exact same way I handled it in Sims3.
    By sending my Sims where they wanted to go & having them do what that wanted to do there.

How else am I supposed to handle it?
  • MariposahMariposah Posts: 249 Member
    I'm finding it hard to leave the house too. It's somewhat easier just to invite a bunch of people over. The few times I have left, like when I wanted to do the bodybuilder aspiration and needed to hit the gym, I had the family bring activities with them so that I could better control everyone.

I really wish there were better away actions. I don't need to see them do the actions, but for example I like them to go to bed at certain times so they can wake up in time for work. If I have a sim out late, the sims left at home have an awful time the following morning because they stayed up too late too.

"Care for self" doesn't let me force the care actions.
    TS4-Signature.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiraehd
  • blaznfalcnblaznfalcn Posts: 731 Member
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    Rarely leaving the house for anything other than school or work is how I've handled it.

Exactly. I feel like I'm a hostage on my own lot.
    "Laziness is a state of mind, not necessarily a lack of action"
    ZY6USJj.gif
    Kuypers125 wrote: »
    By sending my Sims where they wanted to go & having them do what that wanted to do there.

You can't do that. You can't maintain two different action queues in two different zones.

• cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    One sim at a time

Unfortunately
    TL8ZBmw.gif
    blaznfalcn wrote: »

Way more hostage than it ever was in TS2 because in TS2 at least the lot froze, in TS4 when you leave your house it just becomes a workplace/school style rabbit hole for the rest of your residents you leave behind.

edited October 2014

You can't do that. You can't maintain two different action queues in two different zones.

Tue. but you can maintain 2 or more Sims in two different zones.
    Pretty easily, in fact.

Tue. but you can maintain 2 or more Sims in two different zones.

But every Sim you aren't actively controlling might as well be at a workplace rabbit hole.

But every Sim you aren't actively controlling might as well be at a workplace rabbit hole.

I guess it depends on how far you send them & what you have them doing.
    Because I rarely have a problem maintaining multiple Sims away from home.
  • Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    If I have specific things I want multiple sims to do I either don't leave my home lot at all or I travel to a community lot I got off the gallery and then edited a bit, that pretty much has everything you might want to do all in one lot so I can have them all doing what I want.

I really do miss the open world because that ability to totally control multiple sims simultaneously on multiple lots throughout the world was great.

You can leave the game running and they will take care of themselves, you just won't have control over what they do off lot anymore than you do at work or school rabbit holes.

• RineRine Posts: 165 Member
    I find the whole controlling from a distance a bit...glitch-y. Sometimes, the sims will head off to school and work on their own if I happen to be operating another sim away from the homelot. Other times, it just starts flashing red and I can't seem to get them to go to work/school without going back to the lot and telling them to go. Doesn't seem like they skill too well on their own though I have received level up messages from at-home Sims.

So I dunno. Sometimes it seems to work fine and they'll do some things you want them to do. Other times... not so much.
  • nateslicenateslice Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited October 2014
    I keep the house-husband Randy at home until Beulah is at work and the kids are at school. Then he has the day to himself until they all return at 3. The real problem comes when he gets back home before 3, to avoid any potentially uncomfortable questions from his wife (for example, "Where have you been?"), and nobody returns from work/school properly. I have to save my game at 3:01, exit and reload to make the wife and kids appear on the lot. The game still seems to think they're at work, even though they're right there at home, so I still have to make them "leave early".

I tried just making them "leave early" after 3 once, but I got the warning that their performance would suffer. This does not happen if I save, exit and reload, then tell them to leave early. My attitude recently is moving more in the direction of, "If I have to save and exit the game anyway, I might as well just stay exited."

I've also sent their child son out a couple of times (to befriend his future wife and work on his Social Butterfly aspiration), leaving the rest of the family at home to do their own thing, and that hasn't been too terrible yet. It does seem like away actions kinda-sorta work.

You can leave the game running and they will take care of themselves, you just won't have control over what they do off lot anymore than you do at work or school rabbit holes.

Like I said: how far they went & what they're doing.
    Plus, I guess, how long it takes for them to do it.
  • have2admithave2admit Posts: 2,246 Member
    I went back to a single Sim because I hate not being able to manage everyone.
  • Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    blaznfalcn wrote: »

Way more hostage than it ever was in TS2 because in TS2 at least the lot froze, in TS4 when you leave your house it just becomes a workplace/school style rabbit hole for the rest of your residents you leave behind.

It's what fans back in the TS2 days insisted that they wanted.

Probably not their best idea.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    The same as in Sims 2, but better (since you can actually assign them tasks. Or I bring them with, if they have nothing special to do. I mean a Sim that needs to up his charisma can do it at the gym while my active sim works out. A sim that needs to train his cooking skill can read his cooking book or bbq something while my active sim jogs in the park, or my outdorsy sim fishes.

I have no problem at all with it after playing for a few hours. Those first hours though, made me feel a bit of a hostage to my own lot until I learned the system.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • DescantDescant Posts: 41 Member

Yeah, this is pretty much what I've been doing.

• PlyrKttyKtKrnchPlyrKttyKtKrnch Posts: 61 Member
    Yeah I only leave the house if I have one sim or everyone is at school/work and I have one sim at home.
  • suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    I usually wait until all the other sims in the family are at school or work. Leaving them home to care for themselves is not working great for me. Nothing ever gets done. They don't starve or anything but homework goes undone the garden doesn't get tended and books don't get finished, and so on.