Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• simhead70simhead70 Posts: 614 Member
    I'm looking forward to the other part of this build. ;)
    b141edb2-262e-48c6-a432-99db802758b0_zpspfbmwyih.jpg
  • KelSimmieKelSimmie Posts: 69 Member
    > @pammiechick said:
    > I feel your pain! I got my house all built and landscaped and had nothing left for the rest! Need to make it smaller!!!! :|

I did somewhat the same... I built the shell and the landscaping and was already at 60k... and the house is so huge.... I'm definitely going to have to scale it down! Ugh... and after all that detailed work... sigh... This is really a challenge for me... and I looked up colonial architecture and looked through the pictures and picked one as my "model". Well, building it like that, there's going to be way way more space inside than I will need... or could furnish within the budget... Might have to play with the shell and landscaping a bit... This is a neat challenge, the colonial look is sweet, I like it. Just hard to replicate with TS4 prices on everything. I'm not sure 25k more than the TS3 challenge was enough. But... we will see if we can make it work. At least I did the manage worlds to build this time instead of making the Sims first and putting them in and then building... Ok... back to my design again! Good luck everyone! =)
    SimtechiorDesignsSignature.jpg
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
  • EEtheridgeEEtheridge Posts: 585 Member
    edited October 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM (please copy and paste into your entry post.)
    Challenge #3
    Forum ID: EEtheridge
    Origin ID: EEtheridge
    Sim: Don and Judy Olsen (Listed in gallery as "Olsen" - #buildnshare #olsen )
    Lot: Colonial Home with a Modern Interior (In Gallery as "Build-N-Share#3 - Olsen's" #buildnshare3 #Olsens )
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://s369.photobucket.com/user/gs_lady_2008/slideshow/The Sims 4/TS4_Build-N-Share Challenge 3_Olsen ColonialModern?sort=9
    ENTRY DETAILS: Lot size 50/50 Lot value $99,967 - 2 bedrooms/2.5 bathroom home with a Colonial exterior and Modern interior. He likes the color brown and she likes the color blue.
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC used

Post edited by EEtheridge on
    MyTS4Signature_zpsa6ba606a.jpg
    View my homes in the Gallery, Origin ID: EEtheridge
  • asphyxiateddollasphyxiateddoll Posts: 139 Member
    edited October 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 3
    FORUM ID: asphyxiateddoll
    ORIGIN ID: asphyxiateddoll
    SIM: Don and Judy Olsen (under my name in the gallery as well as #BuildnShare #BuildnShare3)
    LOT: Olsen's Colonial (under my name in the gallery as well as #BuildnShare #BuildnShare3)
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: The Olsens and their Colonial Home
    ENTRY DETAILS:
    Lot Size: 50x50
    Price: $99,166
    Workshop Price: $7,380
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS:
    Credit for CC/Recolors:
    Snaitf's Buyable Mailboxes
    Scripthoge's BuildBuyMode Unlocker-used to unlock a lot of career items used in the build
    Shimrod101's Improved Lighting Mod
    Digital Dollhouse Designs Lot Showcase
    Origin ID: asphyxiateddoll
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    KraftySim wrote: »
    This 90k budget has been an extreme challenge! Definitely a lesson in frugality as I don't want to change the build features. :-)

I thought I was going along okay, but it seemed like the price really jumped up with the last few design decisions I made. Going to have to downsize. It's okay from an interior perspective, as I had a good bit of extra space, but I hate to change the exterior architecture from what I originally had. Ah well.

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • misscbongmisscbong Posts: 736 Member
    That was quite the challenge! I enjoyed trying to work within the budget. I felt 100k was lots...and then I started building...good grief! Managed to get in under budget, and will upload the house soon.
    Guess I like to live dangerously...started over from scratch tonight! :o The original design just wasn't working with a downsized structure, and I got tired of struggling with it and trying to force it. I like where the new one is going if I can just manage to make faster progress with it than the old one. However, I am having a weird issue that's driving me crazy.

Has anyone ever noticed a problem with window color, when viewed from the interior? It seems like if you position windows lower on the wall in certain spots, their frames turn completely black. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have anything to do with how you have positioned interior lights or roofs. If you move the window higher on the wall, it pops back to regular color. If what I'm describing isn't clear, I can post pictures tomorrow.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    ... However, I am having a weird issue that's driving me crazy.

Has anyone ever noticed a problem with window color, when viewed from the interior? It seems like if you position windows lower on the wall in certain spots, their frames turn completely black. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have anything to do with how you have positioned interior lights or roofs. If you move the window higher on the wall, it pops back to regular color. If what I'm describing isn't clear, I can post pictures tomorrow.

YES!!! I have noticed that! My instance was first with a bay window. If I put it low, it turned black, if I put it up higher the color went back to normal. I then noticed it with other windows as well.

I have also noticed discoloration of stair rails and if you put a fence around the upper floor portion so people don't fall down the hole onto the steps and go tumbling. If you put the fence, the top part of the rail turns a darkened color.

Now, I do have Low graphics because this is just a cheapy laptop. So, I don't know if it's just a graphics card issue or if it's an actual bug.

(That aside, I really wish we had better color control over windows. I want all white windows, but the style I want only comes in the white frame with blue inner framing. There doesn't seem to be a fluidity in design styles... I sooooo miss CASt! I used it ALL the time... but I remember hearing somewhere, but I don't know if it's true or not, that CASt will never come back as the TS4 engine can't handle it or something... le sigh...)
    Simtechior Designs ~ Prim and Proper, Eclectic, Functional, or Lived-In Comfy... ~ Origin/TS4 Forum ID: KelSimmie
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited October 2014
    I've noticed the discoloration issue with windows and other objects too! Plus, I don't know if it's just a glitch or my computer (I'm on a laptop with low/medium graphics as well) but if I try to change the wallpaper in a room that already has curtains or other things applied, they get booted to my inventory. Why? I can put them back afterwards, but it's annoying. Especially when you use 'alt' to position something 'just right' and have to do it all over again. Like for instance, I put some of the small cupboards at ground level for a special design and changing the wallpaper removes them. Gah! So frustrating!

Edit: On a sidenote, but still a 'color' issue, the lighting is frustrating when designing too. You can change the intensity and color of lights in 'live' mode but not in build mode. The default is the yellow lights and it makes all the whites look yellow or gray, blues look green, etc. The default really should be the neutral white AND we should be able to adjust lighting in build mode. Does anyone else find that annoying?
  • asphyxiateddollasphyxiateddoll Posts: 139 Member
    edited October 2014
    I've noticed big black boxes under some objects too, I haven't seen any under windows yes though. I'm running graphics on the highest possible settings, so I don't think it's because of that. I hadn't noticed anything of the sort before the latest patch though.
    Digital Dollhouse Designs Lot Showcase
    Origin ID: asphyxiateddoll
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    KelSimmie wrote: »
    (That aside, I really wish we had better color control over windows. I want all white windows, but the style I want only comes in the white frame with blue inner framing. There doesn't seem to be a fluidity in design styles... I sooooo miss CASt! I used it ALL the time... but I remember hearing somewhere, but I don't know if it's true or not, that CASt will never come back as the TS4 engine can't handle it or something... le sigh...)

It's not that the engine can't handle it, it's the way they programmed the engine. They just decided not to have CASt and now the engine is implemented in such a way that it will be very very difficult to add it in. You can't change a basement/footings of a house after it's been build, though some modification is possible.
  • misscbongmisscbong Posts: 736 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

CHALLENGE #3: The Olsen's
    FORUM ID: misscbong
    ORIGIN ID: misscbong
    SIM: N/A
    LOT: Olsen Modern Colonial
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Olsen Modern Colonial
    ENTRY DETAILS:
    Cost: $97,984
    This bungalow style Colonial home offers three bedrooms and two and a half baths. Perfect for a family starting out, the interior offers a more modern decor with lots of open space and a division between the master suite and other bedrooms. A masculine wood working studio at the back of the house offers privacy and outdoor access.

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC
  • simhead70simhead70 Posts: 614 Member
    Edited entry cuz of my brain. (forgot to put the cost) :)

Every ones entries look wonderful so far.
    b141edb2-262e-48c6-a432-99db802758b0_zpspfbmwyih.jpg
  • celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    I did my double check on my house and decided to fix a few things. Now that I have the house to where I really like it and want to show it off, I will be taking photos and making my slideshow as soon as I can. So glad we are given two weeks to work on these challenges, gives up plenty of time to mess around!
    Karababy52 wrote: »

Edit: On a sidenote, but still a 'color' issue, the lighting is frustrating when designing too. You can change the intensity and color of lights in 'live' mode but not in build mode. The default is the yellow lights and it makes all the whites look yellow or gray, blues look green, etc. The default really should be the neutral white AND we should be able to adjust lighting in build mode. Does anyone else find that annoying?

OMG! You can change the color of the lights? I don't have to stick with that really really ugly yellow???!!! Wow, I did not know that you could change the lights. Well, I remember in TS3 you could. But I always had a problem changing the color of the hot tub lights, so forgot about it. Oh, hey, I just remembered... the hot tub I was using was CC... maybe that's why the lights on it didn't work properly... hrmm... But, I didn't really realize that you could change like the overhead lights and wall lights. Bummer that it can't be done in the build mode too, it would really be benificial to be able to see true colors. Maybe that's something that can be worked on?! =) Right now I try to design in afternoon mode and then I always check late night mode to make sure that the interior (and exterior) is well lit.

It's not that the engine can't handle it, it's the way they programmed the engine. They just decided not to have CASt and now the engine is implemented in such a way that it will be very very difficult to add it in. You can't change a basement/footings of a house after it's been build, though some modification is possible.

I know... it's just frustrating when you are trying to make things go together and the color scheme does not match up. It's like the color combinations were not thoroughly thought out design wise - such as in traditional architecture types and in interior design types. I have no idea how they came up with the idea that CASt was a good feature to leave out. It was sooo popular with TS3... It's just one of those things I'll have to learn to live with or go back to the soooooooo slooooooow TS3... that's one thing I love about TS4... it runs soooo much better on my laptop! And the CAS and Build Mode have some very nice improvements! There's lots to love about TS4. Just really missing some of the things from TS3 that gave me the ability to make everything match...

And I apologize if I sound like I'm whining... I don't mean to... I love this game and I will learn to live with its short comings and keep loving all the great things there are about it. I've just been having a rough patch of extremely bad pain days...

Oh, and I ended up bull dozing my design instead of trying to re-size it. It would have been too much of a PITA. I am liking where the new design is going though! =)
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited October 2014
    OMG! You can change the color of the lights? I don't have to stick with that really really ugly yellow???!!! Wow, I did not know that you could change the lights. Well, I remember in TS3 you could. But I always had a problem changing the color of the hot tub lights, so forgot about it. Oh, hey, I just remembered... the hot tub I was using was CC... maybe that's why the lights on it didn't work properly... hrmm... But, I didn't really realize that you could change like the overhead lights and wall lights. Bummer that it can't be done in the build mode too, it would really be benificial to be able to see true colors. Maybe that's something that can be worked on?! =) Right now I try to design in afternoon mode and then I always check late night mode to make sure that the interior (and exterior) is well lit.

Yes! You can change the color or intensity of all lights at the same time or just pick and choose colors/intensity for individual lights. But not in build mode. It's frustrating! Especially when you're building on the lot in manage worlds. In that case, you have to save and go load up as 'play' to change them. The problem with that is sometimes it doesn't 'stick' when you save again and I worry about depreciation kicking in when doing that. I don't want to inadvertently 'cheat' just because I wanted to change the lights. o.O
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    @Karababy52 I think as long as you go by the gallery price plus the value of the lot, you shouldn't have to worry about depreciation even if you extensively test play the build.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    I bulldozed mine as well...back to the drawing board! :D
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • BlueIsis433BlueIsis433 Posts: 26 Member
    Great entries everyone, enjoyed looking at them.
    Pammie and Kel, misery loves company. :'( But actually, things are going much better for me with this build, so I have no regrets about starting over. Hope it's the same for you two! :)
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member

I know... it's just frustrating when you are trying to make things go together and the color scheme does not match up. It's like the color combinations were not thoroughly thought out design wise - such as in traditional architecture types and in interior design types. I have no idea how they came up with the idea that CASt was a good feature to leave out. It was sooo popular with TS3... It's just one of those things I'll have to learn to live with or go back to the soooooooo slooooooow TS3... that's one thing I love about TS4... it runs soooo much better on my laptop! And the CAS and Build Mode have some very nice improvements! There's lots to love about TS4. Just really missing some of the things from TS3 that gave me the ability to make everything match...

I also loved and used CASt a lot, and I would find it a very good solution if they bring out another program to add recolors ourselves, outside of the game. And then be able to share them through the gallery! It would be (almost) even better than CASt this way.

• LavenderLavender Posts: 73 Member
    edited October 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 3
    FORUM ID: Lavender
    ORIGIN ID: Lavenderspirit22
    SIM: Olsen
    LOT: Olsen's Colonial
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://s196.photobucket.com/user/Lavenderspirit2/slideshow/Sims 4 Build and Share 3
    ENTRY DETAILS: Gallery price $88,258 + Lot price $10,000 = Build cost $98,258
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: Up all night digital content on the Olsens.
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    I would find it a very good solution if they bring out another program to add recolors ourselves, outside of the game. And then be able to share them through the gallery! It would be (almost) even better than CASt this way.

I agree, @DieterPrivate! I'm thinking something like the CAS demo was before the game was released -- a super-easy to use, separate program that you open and do your designing and then either save to your library for use in your own game, or share to the gallery from right there in the program. Have the main screen be a 3-walled room so that you can fill it with furniture, lighting, decor and put down flooring and wall coverings, etc. and then come up with your color scheme and style. For people with older, slower computers, running this one smaller program might be more manageable than Sims 3 was with CASt open.

If people started saving a bunch of re-colored objects/materials, it would probably bog down their buy/build mode, I guess. I play Sims 3 on a 3 year old laptop (a gaming laptop) and CASt works fine for me. But what does take forever is loading all the clothes, and I don't even have any CC clothes (and I don't save my recolors). After all the expansion packs, stuff packs, and store content, it takes a really long time to load clothes. It helps to filter them to just one thing at a time, like just base game items, or whatever, but the problem is, I can't choose a filter until after I've already waited forever for the stuff to finish (or almost finish) loading. :/ So what I'd like to see with Sims 4 if they do come up with a separate CASt program is give people the option to turn off seeing all the recolors in buy/build mode before they go into buy/build mode. Either a checky box within Live Mode or maybe even just from the game options menu.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
    ahholladay wrote: »
    I would find it a very good solution if they bring out another program to add recolors ourselves, outside of the game. And then be able to share them through the gallery! It would be (almost) even better than CASt this way.

I agree, @DieterPrivate! I'm thinking something like the CAS demo was before the game was released -- a super-easy to use, separate program that you open and do your designing and then either save to your library for use in your own game, or share to the gallery from right there in the program. Have the main screen be a 3-walled room so that you can fill it with furniture, lighting, decor and put down flooring and wall coverings, etc. and then come up with your color scheme and style. For people with older, slower computers, running this one smaller program might be more manageable than Sims 3 was with CASt open.

If people started saving a bunch of re-colored objects/materials, it would probably bog down their buy/build mode, I guess. I play Sims 3 on a 3 year old laptop (a gaming laptop) and CASt works fine for me. But what does take forever is loading all the clothes, and I don't even have any CC clothes (and I don't save my recolors). After all the expansion packs, stuff packs, and store content, it takes a really long time to load clothes. It helps to filter them to just one thing at a time, like just base game items, or whatever, but the problem is, I can't choose a filter until after I've already waited forever for the stuff to finish (or almost finish) loading. :/ So what I'd like to see with Sims 4 if they do come up with a separate CASt program is give people the option to turn off seeing all the recolors in buy/build mode before they go into buy/build mode. Either a checky box within Live Mode or maybe even just from the game options menu.

Oooooohhhh I like that idea!!! That would be so awesome!!! =) And I totally agree with everything @ahholladay said! I remember how long CASt took to load, especially if that pattern set had a lot of patterns to it (ie wood, masonry, fabric, etc...).

That gets me to thinking... maybe that's why my game always took sooooo soooooooooo long to load... I had every single expansion pack and stuff pack there was... and I did save a lot of my re-colors/patterns... hrm...

Another suggestion would be to be able to mark the re-colors/patterns as favorites and be able to load only your favorites, which would be the things you work with most. And maybe have different favorites lists - clothing, furniture, walls, floors, windows, rugs, etc... and be able to choose which favorites list(s) you want to load before going into it.

But, yes, I would totally love an independent re-color/pattern app! That would just excite me to no end!!! LOL =)
  • Rostri-JoduRostri-Jodu Posts: 718 Member
    Lebanna wrote: »
    Just answering a few quick answers :)
    celdys0n wrote: »
    @karababy52 if you don't want to bulldoze and you are worried about the depreciation, then try evicting your Sims in manage world and then go into building. Just know that bulldozing is not a bad thing, it can only be built better because you'll know what to look for now.

I too want to see the results from challenge one in the other categories.
    Working on it! But I just started my fulltime job 3 weeks ago, So I'm trying to fit it all in. Have written a fast majority of the feedback, but haven't picked a winner yet. I hope to have it up at the latest Tuesday/Wednesday.
    I really want to say thank you all for you patience! And I will post them up as soon as I can :smile:

*nudgenudge* *pokepoke* *runsaway*

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top