Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

About child ghosts and death...

I feel like terrible person for posting this, but please give children other types of death besides by fire OR allow playable ghosts to have babies with the living with a chance of a ghost baby like they did in Sims 3 as far as I know. Whatever seems more morally acceptable option for the development team.

Comments

• cauliflowerscauliflowers Posts: 5,782 Member
    Like what?

Die of neglect?

Hit by school bus?

Kidnapped by strangers?

Strangled by swings?

The game is only rated T unless you're in Russia or Australia
    TL8ZBmw.gif
  • EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    edited October 2014
    Maybe they'll be able to drown when we get pools.

edit: I do wish they could try for baby and get child ghost sims that way.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • nateslicenateslice Posts: 1,440 Member
    I've always been a little depressed by Casper the Friendly Ghost. He must've been so young when he died...
  • haley623haley623 Posts: 160 Member
    Aw man your saying you can't have ghost babies? That ruins my whole fun little plan I had. lol I was going to have my Sims boyfriend be a ghost and try to have a ghost baby with him... human babies just aren't as cool... lol
    giphy.gif
  • CriseXCriseX Posts: 88 Member
    > @cauliflowers said:
    > Like what?
    >
    > The game is only rated T unless you're in Russia or Australia

Why couldn't child die of laughter like an adult, or the opposite as well, death by fire seems like one of the worst ways to die. Likewise for drowning if that becomes a thing, however, the point of this topic was mainly about how insanely difficult it is to get a child ghost, tbh I don't really mind how it would be resolved in the end.

I get why a child dying is a thorny subject in a video game in general but since they decided to make it a thing in the first place why not be more inclusive about it. I am just saying the harder they make it the more horrible going for it makes me feel, personally I would have preferred the supernatural pregnancy option to be honest.

To get back to your question child dying of neglect or hunger would never be a thing because of how the social services thing works in these games but the "emotion" based deaths as well as electricity, why should those be exclusive to adults (yes I am thinking pragmatically here, not emotionally).

This discussion is wrong in so many levels... but I mean give us options or otherwise all my ghost children will have to be little pyromaniacs and that is no fun.

> @nateslice said:
    > I've always been a little depressed by Casper the Friendly Ghost. He must've been so young when he died...

12 to be exact, at least according to the movie... why on earth I remember that from when I was like 6 or 7 I have no clue.
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    I vote for trying for a baby!! I mean, I don't play as a ghost and only even tried to get a ghost baby twice in Sims 3 (didn't try too hard because ghosts sounded weird in Sims 3. Haven't seen one in Sims 4...)

But yeah, for players who want a supernatural family with ghost children, please allow those players to have a female playable ghost be capable of having a ghost baby--even if it's a perfectly normal baby that develops its ghost qualities upon aging up. That would be a lot better than players having to harm sim children or cheat (aka risk the integrity of their game files) to get ghost types they would like to have.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • DariuDariu Posts: 3,120 Member
    Death by Jellybean
    Death by stress of too much homework
    Death by embarrassment
    Death by starvation
    Death by Manbearpig
    Death by fallig down stairs?
    Death by Fear
    Death by drowning in pool (soon)
    edited October 2014
    This would be much easier subject all around if things like diseases would be a thing, sure it is a bit morbid but it would be realistic and would not be in any way worse than death by fire is right now, quite the contrary actually. I know realistic and the sims does not often match up but it is a simulation game about life at its core.

Not to mention having someone bedridden for a disease of some kind and then them succumbing to it would both be a simple addition in terms of technical aspects and easy to mitigate by adding a simple medicine that can be used to counteract it. So people who don't want to deal with it could easily avoid it.

Having to go out of my way to harm a child in the game is so much worse than a supernatural pregnancy or a disease of some kind. I get why things like disabilities are not in the game as they would be an exponential strain on content production, however, a deadly disease is not. It has technically already been done once in Sims 3 in the form of the mummy's curse (world adventures), although the nature and outcome of it in that case were rather out of this world.
  • EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    It's very doubtful they will allow death by starvation (listed above as possible deaths) for kids. If your kid reaches that point, the social worker comes and takes them away. I think they should be able to get the emotional deaths though, like the adults and even teens. I know a teen can get so angry they die. And, again, I think ghosts should be able to try for baby and give a chance for a ghost baby (if their partner is a human).
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    CriseX wrote: »
    please give children other types of death besides by fire
    1. Children can definetly die also by getting superangry, dunno if making them hysterical will work
    2. Sims 4 is a game. It's not RL and sims are dolls, they're not living things. Are you aware of the difference?

Now when I said that. The very thing I can kill a child in a game doesn't sit well in my head. So I just don't want to do it. But i also understand people who'll go through it to get a child ghost. And let's be completely fair, you also have ambrosia option to bring that same child back to life whenever you want!
    A question for those who want a ghost baby - did you kill a pregnant women in the game to see what happens next when she becomes a ghost? I bet you didn't.
    Of course, that idea also doesn't sit well in my head, so I'm not doing it!
    In my game ghosts will be only adults and that's it.

In the end just to add Sims 4 is not the first game where it's possible (kill a child in Fallout 2 - you get a nasty Childkiller trait and everyone in the game hates you) nor it's some scandalous decision.
    > @JoxerTM22 said:
    > Sims 4 is a game. It's not RL and sims are dolls, they're not living things. Are you aware of the difference?
    >
    > In the end just to add Sims 4 is not the first game where it's possible (kill a child in Fallout 2 - you get a nasty Childkiller trait and everyone in the game hates you) nor it's some scandalous decision.

I am aware of the difference, however, as far as games go it is also at its core a simulation about life. And I believe it is perfectly feasible for someone to form a certain level of attachment to these virtual people and because the actions of said virtual people so closely resemble our own everyday life the norms we live by affect both how we play and how we feel when we play this game. Especially if we have to go against our principals to achieve something we want in this game.

I am a computer programmer IRL, so I can quite easily think about the game very pragmatically and systemically, but when I do that I am no longer really playing a game thus there is no element of fun or unwinding associated with the act anymore.

Fallout 2 is not the best example, because in my copy of the game these controversial children were made invisible (not removed) because of extremely lazy regional censorship. It is also a game with an entirely different kind of subject matter and is also rated differently.
  • Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Child:
    Death by Drowning
    Death by Fire
    Death by Electrocution

I'd be fine with that.
  • thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    It makes sense that ghost can't try for baby. Hello they are DEAD><
    > @thesims3andtwo said:
    > It makes sense that ghost can't try for baby. Hello they are DEAD><

It might make sense, but something not making sense never stopped them before. Besides we are talking ghosts here, it lacks a certain degree of making sense from the get go. The possibility of supernatural pregnancies has been a thing for quite some time in the Sims. There is ultimately no reason why it shouldn't be possible beyond personal preference and considering there is no accidental pregnancies in the Sims that aspect of it is kind of irrelevant.
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    Death by a biological agent made by a scientific sim.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • DarciTheFoxDarciTheFox Posts: 1,589 Member
    edited October 2014
    I would LOVE it if they enabled ghosts to have babies. I really wanted to do a ghost legacy that haunted a house for generations. Really bums me out that they can't have babies and limited our storytelling capacities. If ghosts could have babies, we could have children of any age as ghosts and tell a story about a child/baby that died without having to actually kill that sim kid.
    > @DarciTheFox said:
    > I would LOVE it if they enabled ghosts to have babies. I really wanted to do a ghost legacy that haunted a house for generations. Really bums me out that they can't have babies and limited our storytelling capacities. If ghosts could have babies, we could have children of any age as ghosts and tell a story about a child/baby that died without having to actually kill that sim kid.

I had a somewhat similar idea, about legacies with a ghost element. But as of right now it is hard to set up that kind of scenario which prompted me to create this topic.
  • BamajamBamajam Posts: 812 Member
    Ghosts having babies? If that's the case, then let male sims get pregnant too and if there is a Pets exp. maybe we can cross breed the animals. Theres a fine line between a fun game and a silly game.
  • Rubycube86Rubycube86 Posts: 294 Member
    I agree with @bamajam. Save that stuff for Supernatural EP, with an option to enable or disable it.
    > @Rubycube86 said:
    > I agree with bamajam. Save that stuff for Supernatural EP, with an option to enable or disable it.

I would agree with you, expect that they already dropped ghosts on us out of nowhere. And ghosts could have babies before or rather you could have ghost babies before to be entirely accurate (ie. the mother had to be alive as far as I recall). As for an option to enable or disable different lifeforms to be honest I don't see why they did not add it in with this patch to begin with. They should have retained that from the previous game.

However, neither ghosts nor ghosts fathering children is a new thing in The Sims... if memory serves they were even base game stuff in The Sims 3. Long before Supernatural EP or the ability to disable different forms of life was ever a thing. So all that sarcasm is completely uncalled for.
  • DarciTheFoxDarciTheFox Posts: 1,589 Member
    Bamajam wrote: »
    Ghosts having babies? If that's the case, then let male sims get pregnant too and if there is a Pets exp. maybe we can cross breed the animals. Theres a fine line between a fun game and a silly game.

Perhaps I like my games to be both fun and silly. It's my game what's that matter to how you play your game. You wouldn't have to have ghost babies if you thought they were ridiculous, but I don't see why those of us that want them should have to stick to other people's gaming style in our own games.

Also, I would love some sort of advanced 'alien' technology fertility clinic where anyone could get pregnant with whomever they chose, what fun stories could be played! I don't know about the crossbreeding animals. That's where I'll draw the line for me personally. Animals and Sims/People is never ok. Animals can't give consent, which makes it well you know, the 'R' word.

edited October 2014
    @Crisex - I wasn't being sarcastic...
  • Jlm0072012Jlm0072012 Posts: 159 Member
    Like what?

Die of neglect?

Hit by school bus?

Kidnapped by strangers?

Strangled by swings?

The game is only rated T unless you're in Russia or Australia

Lol
    > @Rubycube86 said:
    > Crisex - I wasn't being sarcastic...

Sorry, that bit was for @Bamajam, I should have been more direct about it. The formatting on these forums sucks, only working half the time, so I didn't bother adding another quote.
    @crisex - lol no worries.