Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Asylum Challenge

simswithcheesesimswithcheese Posts: 79 Member
[Updated 18th of September 2017]
Hey guys, I have written the Asylum Challenge for The Sims 4! I took the challenge from The Sims 3 and re-wrote it to make sense in The Sims 4. I also added some difficulty modes to spice things up as well. If you think something should be changed, fixed etc. leave a comment in this thread or tweet me @NickM97 and I'll try and get back to you!

I will update the thread when updates and expansions come out, so the challenge is still playable. If you experience any difficulties in the challenge, again let me know and I'll change things up a bit. :)

Introduction

Hi there, I’m Nick and this is The Sims 4 Asylum Challenge! The Asylum Challenge is one of my favourite challenges from The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, so I decided to bring it into The Sims 4 with its own little twists. This challenge was originally created by Scout for The Sims 2, then revamped for The Sims 3 by BlakeS5678.

For those who do not know the Asylum Challenge, here is the backstory:
"You have been committed to a run down mental health facility against your will. In order to prove that you are fit to rejoin society and earn your freedom, you must achieve the goals your psychiatrist has set for you – your aspiration. The catch? You need to achieve your goals as quickly as possible, while keeping 7 other patients, who you don't know and are out of your control, alive and as happy as possible. Add to that budget cutbacks leading to a lack of decent furniture and limited supplies, and your task gets harder."

For this challenge there will be an easy mode, medium mode and hard mode, just to spice things up a bit.

Setting Up

Create your main sim in CAS. They must be a young adult. You can choose whatever you want for looks, clothing, voice and walk styles. They must have the insane trait and the other two traits can be anything except for custom traits.

You can also choose any aspiration except for the following:
-Successful Lineage
-Big Happy Family
-Super Parent
-Fabulously Wealthy
-Mansion Baron
-City Native

After finishing your main sim, create seven other sims. They all must be young adults and they must all have the insane trait. The other two traits and their aspirations can be whatever you want. (I recommend having a few evil, mean and romantic sims, just to make things interesting). None of the eight sims are allowed to be related.

Next step is to build the asylum on a residential lot in either Willow Creek or Oasis Springs. The size of the lot does not matter. You can build the asylum yourself, download an asylum from the Gallery using the hashtag #AsylumChallenge or modify an existing house in Willow Creek or Oasis Springs. Money cheats are allowed when building or placing your asylum. Depending on your mode of difficulty depends on what objects are allowed in your asylum, but all objects must be the cheapest at the beginning (Cheap counters, cheap beds, cheap couches etc.). You cannot have objects in the asylum which affects sim’s emotions (unless the object was obtained through a career reward) or which prevents fires. When you have finished building the asylum you cannot modify further, unless sims get stuck in a certain area or your asylum saves up enough money for a new skill building item or when you can purchase an upgraded item. Pools are allowed but they are classified as a skill building item.

When you have finished creating your asylum, your family funds must be at the required amount for your difficulty. To change the family funds you must first type into the cheat box “testingcheats true” (without quotations), then type into the cheat box “money (amount required). For example, for easy mode you would put "testingcheats true" followed by "money 1000" followed by "testingcheats false".

Upgrading Objects

When the asylum saves up a bit of money you can start replacing the cheap furniture and appliances with high quality furniture and appliances. You can only replace items, you cannot buy extra items. For example you can replace the fridge but you can’t have two fridges. You cannot upgrade objects in hard mode.
Using the handiness skill to upgrade objects is allowed in all difficulty modes.

Gameplay

- You must only be selected on your main sim, you are not allowed to click on the other sims at all to check their needs. If they die, they die.
- If you want to, at 12am, you can click on the other sims to check their inventory if they have books, food etc. When doing this your game must be paused.
Cheats/mods/hacks which boost sim’s needs or skills are not allowed. High free will must be turned on, so the other sims in the asylum will do things by themselves.
- You can not use your inventory to reserve items for yourself. For example, you can't put a book or guitar in your inventory just so no one else can put it in theirs.
- The age settings can either be on normal or long, it’s your choice.
- No rearranging of furniture to reserve or use something for yourself. For example, you can not move the TV into a bedroom and turn it on just to get an uncontrollable sim out of bed so you can sleep in the bed. Nor can you remove a door so others can't gain access to the bathroom so you can use it when you come home from work.
- If a sim dies you must keep the grave on the lot, you must keep the grave on the lot. If their ghost gets too annoying (e.g. they keep breaking objects) you can banish their ghost.
- Putting toilets and showers/baths in separate rooms is OK in all difficulties, as dying from embarrassment tends to occur too much.
- Making your sim “work hard” in their career is ok, you cannot make the other patients “work hard” in their careers.

Game Pack/Expansion Pack Changes
**Outdoor Retreat**
-Outdoor Enthusiast aspiration is allowed.
-You can only travel to Granite Falls when you need to complete certain goals in the Outdoor Enthusiast aspiration.
-When travelling to Granite Falls you must bring all of your fellow patients with you and choose the campground as your destination.

**Spa Day**
-When completing an aspiration, you can reward your Sim with a trip to the spa.

**Dine Out**
-Your Sim cannot own a restaurant.
-Your household cannot visit a restaurant.

**Vampires**
-Vampire patients are allowed.
-Vampire aspirations are allowed.

**Parenthood**
-Super Parent aspiration is not allowed.

**Get To Work**
- Alien patients are allowed.
- Active careers are not allowed as they require leaving the lot.
- Your Sim cannot own a retail business
- If a member of the Asylum is abducted by aliens and comes back pregnant, when they give birth you have to send the baby back to Sixam.

**Get Together**
-You can create an Asylum club for the patients, you cannot add outside Sims to the club.
-Club perks are allowed for all levels of difficulties.

**City Living**
-Apartments cannot be asylums

Difficulty Modes and Rules

There are 3 different modes of difficulty for this challenge.

Easy Mode:
- Starting funds: $1,000
- Complete two aspirations, then you are free!
- Can have the TV and the computer at the same time.
- Two sinks, two toilets and two showers/bathtubs.
- No more than 6 ‘bed spots’. For example you can have 6 single beds, or 3 double beds, 1 double and 4 single beds etc.
- There can only be total seating for 8. That includes couches, lounges and chairs. If you have a dining table with 6 chairs then you may not use a couch that seats 3.
- You may only have a total of 5 Skill Building items in the house, so choose wisely at the start. Computers, stoves, bookcases, mirrors, and TVs don't count as skill items. It is highly recommended to have skill items which make money, for example the easel.
- Everyone in the asylum is allowed a job, but the non-controllable sims must be in the Criminal Career as it is the lowest paying job. You are not allowed to level them up in their career. If they lose their job, they have lost it forever. Your main sim can have whatever job they like. (It is recommended that their job is related to their aspiration. For example a sim with the Master Chef aspiration should be in the Culinary Career)
-You can purchase lifetime rewards
- Having a maid and ordering pizza is allowed.
- Can leave the lot to go fishing and collecting at anytime. Can only travel to other people’s houses and community lots during the hours of 9:00am-3:00pm. (When travelling to another lot you must bring everyone from the asylum along with you)
- If a sim dies, no objects have to be deleted.

Medium Mode:
- Starting funds: $500
- Complete three aspirations, then you are free!
- You cannot have a TV and a computer at the same time. It is recommended that if your sim has the Computer Whiz aspiration for example, that you should have a computer.
- One sink, one toilet, one shower/bathtub.
- No more than 5 ‘bed spots’. For example, you can have 5 single beds, or 2 doubles and 1 single bed etc.
- There can only be total seating for 6. That includes couches, lounges and chairs. If you have a dining table with 4 chairs then you may not use a couch that seats 3.
- You may only have a total of 5 Skill Building items in the house, so choose wisely at the start. Computers, stoves, bookcases, mirrors, and TVs don't count as skill items. It is highly recommended to have skill items which make money, for example the easel.
- Only 2 non-controllable sims are allowed jobs, both must be in the criminal career. Your main sim can have whatever job they like. (It is recommended that their job is related to their aspiration. For example a sim with the Master Chef aspiration should be in the Culinary Career)
-You can purchase lifetime rewards
- No maids and no pizza.
- Can leave the lot to go fishing and collecting between the hours or 7:00am-5:00pm. Can only travel to other people’s houses and community lots during the hours of 9:00am-3:00pm. (When travelling to another lot you must bring everyone from the asylum along with you)
- If a sim dies, 1 seat must be deleted until there is 1 seat remaining.

Hard Mode:
- Starting funds: $100
- Complete four aspirations, then you are free!
You cannot have a TV and a computer at the same time. It is recommended that if your sim has the Computer Whiz aspiration for example, that you should have a computer
- One sink, one toilet, one shower/bathtub.
- No more than 4 ‘bed spots’. For example, you can have 4 single beds, or 2 double beds, 1 double bed and 2 singles
- There can only be total seating for 4. That includes couches, lounges and chairs. If you have a dining table with 2 chairs then you may not use a couch that seats 3.
- Non-controllable sims are not allowed jobs. You main sim can only have a job if their aspiration requires it. For example the Master Chef aspiration requires your sim to be in the Culinary Career.
-You cannot purchase lifetime rewards
- No maids and no pizza.
- Can leave the lot to go fishing and collecting between the hours or 12:00am-5:00am. Travelling to other lots is banned, unless your sim’s aspiration requires them to. In that, you can travel to other lots between 6:00pm-11:00pm. (When travelling to another lot you must bring everyone from the asylum along with you)
- If a sim dies, 1 bed and 1 seat must be deleted until there is only 1 bed and 1 seat remaining.

Aspirations

In the difficulties it states that a number of aspirations must be completed. This refers to aspirations such as the Computer Wiz aspiration. It does NOT refer to groups of aspirations such as the all of the aspirations in the Creativity category.

Scoring (Optional)

+50: per aspiration completed.

+1: per skill point any of the 8 Sims have at the end. Only living Sims count.

+1: per 1000 Satisfaction points every Sim has.

-20: per Sim that died.

-20: per fire which has occurred.

-20: per day when the power and water is shut off. (E.g. Power and Water shut off for 2 days =-40 points)
Post edited by simswithcheese on

Comments

• LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    They must have the insane trait, the other two can be whatever you want, unless you have chosen hard mode.

What traits do you choose if you wanna do hard mode?
    Love love love this challenge
  • SimCrazySimCrazy Posts: 9,908 Member
    I just started this, I didn't follow all of the rules though ( I never do I like playing how I like lol ) Ill post pics

tEk3aA.png
    gWhQR5.png
    The house and residents :) I'm playing as the red haired girl with the yellow top.

OZYJM1.png
    Dem plums doe

1rXueO.png
    The crazies getting to you, Eva?

cjkwD2.png
    I'll post more if y'all like
  • simswithcheesesimswithcheese Posts: 79 Member
    > @Logisitcs said:
    > They must have the insane trait, the other two can be whatever you want, unless you have chosen hard mode.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What traits do you choose if you wanna do hard mode?
    > Love love love this challenge

I think I changed my mind when I wrote this, lol. For hard mode it can be any trait you want, sorry for the confusion.
    @SimCrazy
    Very nice! Did you build the house yourself? It's amazing!
  • bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    I love this! :D Great work remaking the challenge ;)
  • MandyAmandyMandyAmandy Posts: 51 Member
    I want to do this but I don't want my main family wilting away while doing it. Is there away to have a second game going?
  • SimCrazySimCrazy Posts: 9,908 Member
    @SimCrazy<br />
    Very nice! Did you build the house yourself? It's amazing!
    Yes I did, thank you :)
    Ok I figured out how to make another game separate from my original. I didn't even get through one entire day and one of my sims already died. COD... embarrassment. I didn't even know that could kill them!
  • kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    This sounds like fun :) Might try this challenge out!
    @MandyAmandy Wow that was quick for a first death, I'm going to assume they might have died because they didn't make it to the toilet on time hence why they became embarrassed? If so I may have to change the rules a bit more if that happens to often.
    edited October 2014
    @simswithcheese He needed the toilet but someone was in the shower. I am doing the medium challenge so there is only one of each. He kept trying to walk in then freaking out about the person in the shower and running back out. Finally it gave the notice that he was dying from embarrassment. My first sim death in TS4 and I laughed like a nutcase. Would putting the shower and toilet in their own rooms be cheating?

EDIT: Just got on today to play and the dead sim finally came back as a ghost. The first thing he did was go and break the shower! I am laughing to death over here! lol

EDIT 2: Ghost just broke the toilet right as another sim was doing the "I need to pee" waddle towards it. The other sim wet themselves and is now dying of embarrassment too!
  • kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    lol
    Update: Another sim has died from embarrassment due to wetting themselves (This time the bathroom was not occupied nor was the toilet broken) and a fourth sim has died due to setting themselves on fire while cooking. Attempts were made to extinguish the fire. The stove was put out but the sim continued to run around on fire until death. Other ghost sims obsessively break EVERYTHING in the house.

Man I really suck at this... This is awesome!
  • MonaLisaJonesMonaLisaJones Posts: 126 Member
    @simswithcheese - I love the difficulty modes you added! I had started an asylum, but may restart it on hard mode B) I'll post pics when my member status on the forums becomes official! Meanwhile, if anyone wants a premade asylum, I've got one in my gallery. Good luck all!
  • MonaLisaJonesMonaLisaJones Posts: 126 Member
    @simcrazy - yes post more pics! Lol I love all the bunnie slippers in the housefire pic
    Whelp I was down to 4 including my playable sim before I tried to save this morning but it crashed during saving. :(
    Ok I have a question about what is and is not allowed when it comes to ghosts. The first guy to die from embarassment, his ghost keeps showing up each day and breaking the shower AND toilet over and over. As soon as I fix them he just breaks them again. Can I banish him please? I am spending so much time fixing the stuff he breaks that it's impossible to accomplish even the slightest task.
  • Nicarra60Nicarra60 Posts: 2,916 Member
    Please clarify "Complete two aspirations, then you are free!"

I initially thought you meant the lifetime aspirations but I find them to be long and involved - there is no way you are going to finish two of them in a single lifetime. We won't even touch the three and four for harder levels. I have a Sim stuck on the third tier of his lifetime one - he needs to make and keep friends - which is very difficult in Sims 4.
    My Sim Story blogs -- Hi Mum, It's Sammy || WA with the Grants || Art flows through || Sims Short Stories (Adult content warning)
    Thanks for the great feedback everyone! I have to admit that I have not tested the challenge out yet as it has been hard to find time with all the schoolwork I have been getting very busy, so I highly appreciate people testing this out for me :#

@MandyAmandy Yeah this is happening way to often xD I think it is a good idea for the shower and the toilet to be in separate rooms, or maybe I should update the medium rules so there are two toilets and one shower. I'll look into it when I get home. :smile: Also I will add in that you can banish ghosts if you want if they get too annoying, so that's completely allowed.

@MonaLisaJones Good luck! Keep me updated if you're finding it impossible! ;)

@Nicarra60 When I mean Aspiration I mean the Computer Wiz aspiration for example. I'm not talking about completing and entire category of aspirations like completing the entire Knowledge Aspiration set. Originally I did have that in easy mode they have to only complete one aspiration, but I thought that would be too quick so I changed it to two. I will consider changing it back to having to complete one aspiration for Easy, two aspirations for Medium and three aspirations for Hard if it's way too hard to do.

Again I highly appreciate all the feedback, please keep posting :smile:
    I am also considering, when I will get the time, to make a couple of tutorials on how to set up the challenge and make a Let's Play of the Asylum Challenge.
    Okay, let's take the computer whiz aspiration

The first set of Milestones are called "With the Program"
    Requires 10 hours of programming and own $1 worth of electronic equipment - easy

The second set of Milestones are called "Technically adept"
    Maintain focus for 2 straight hours of computer gaming and reach level 5 of programming - still easy if time consuming

The third set of Milestones are called "Computer geek"
    Become an adult, reach level 2 of the Tech Guru career (which would have milestones of its own) and make 3 video games or apps

The fourth set of Milestones are called "Computer Whiz"
    Reach level 5 of the Tech Guru career, spend 100 hours on the computer and earn $5000 from live streaming or gaming.

So far, I've only played normal families and trying to fit in the aspiration tasks around food/work/spending time with others is pretty tough. It doesn't help that my main Sim has one of the popularity aspirations and he can't get friendships required for his 3rd set of milestones.

That's why I was wondering if they had to complete 2 of them - that's a lot of stuff for a sim on a normal lifespan to achieve.
    My Sim Story blogs -- Hi Mum, It's Sammy || WA with the Grants || Art flows through || Sims Short Stories (Adult content warning)
    @Nicarra60 Thanks for pointing this out, I think I will make it one aspiration for Easy etc. Personally I do think they need to improve on how to maintain friendships in The Sims 4 cause I do have the same problem with trying to keep friends. I might also ban some of the popularity aspirations, but I don't want to ban too many aspirations as that will limit options.
    @Nicarra60 Thanks for pointing this out, I think I will make it one aspiration for Easy etc. Personally I do think they need to improve on how to maintain friendships in The Sims 4 cause I do have the same problem with trying to keep friends. I might also ban some of the popularity aspirations, but I don't want to ban too many aspirations as that will limit options.
    Maybe an alternative would be to reach the top of a career. I think that the Sims 2 version of the challenge was reach the top of a career to go free. (Though I could be wrong, that was some time ago since I last read a Sims 2 asylum challenge)
    @simswithcheese Thank you! He literally came in while my play sim was sleeping, broke the shower then broke the toilet. As soon as she woke up I had her repair the toilet then while she was repairing the shower he broke the toilet again. I repaired it then went to cook a meal for everyone and he went in and broke them both again. I actually thought of leaving the shower busted and just bother with the toilet since I don't think a lack of showering can kill a sim. (Mine are all walking around with green fog around them already anyways lol)

I guess a few more things we should address that can be done, but may or may not be ok for this challenge

1) is the ordering of pizza allowed?

2) If something is broken can we click on it and instead of choosing to repair it, can we just replace it? I know that is the only option if it's something that was damaged by fire, but I am not sure if it's allowed for something that has the option to be repaired.

3) And for the medium mode, shouldn't it be that a bed is deleted for each death until just one bed stands? Because lack of places to sit doesn't seem to have any long term effects on them but once you are down to 5 sims, the challenge of swapping out beds stops and just makes the rest of it easier.

I really am loving this challenge by the way. There is not a whole lot to do otherwise at the moment so this is a perfect way to entertain ourselves while waiting for more to do (Not complaining so please no one think that, just have way too much free time on my hands right now.)