Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• benlow11benlow11 Posts: 83 Member
    Hi @celdys0n I have been working on my build and only have the frame and front landscaping done. I am already up to 51,000 and I haven't done anything to the back area or the interior. Budget is definitely the hardest part of this build. I'm guessing the 100,000 budget has to include the 10,000 for the lot...? If it didn't I would still have about 59,000 to work with instead of 49,000...
  • keshialeekeshialee Posts: 533 Member
    I've finished mine (I think) and came under. WIth the spare cash I'm going to add some more to the landscaping. I loved this one (my first ever entry as well!)
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    I'm working on the exterior of one possible build, and it's at 25k already! I may go in a different direction with the structure, although I don't know if it will actually save me money, more of a style preference. Don't forget about that workshop we need to build too! It's definitely going to be tough to get it all done within 90k...
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • EEtheridgeEEtheridge Posts: 585 Member
    I have the structure built as well and have started on the kitchen for the 4th time. This budget it killing me too. I'm really going to have to watch the cost of everything I put into the furnishings. I'm worried that I won't be able to do the workshop the way I want to. It's a great challenge though, I just hope it doesn't get the better of me.
    MyTS4Signature_zpsa6ba606a.jpg
    View my homes in the Gallery, Origin ID: EEtheridge
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    While I was looking up the style, as we don't have these sort of houses, I found out that this is not one style, but several: Colonial Architecture. This means more options to choose from....
    edited October 2014
    I finished wow that was hard. I was keeping track of how much the lot was worth under lot information the whole time, when I got to 99,973 I had to stop. When I uploaded the lot to the Gallery it was saying the cost was 89,___ instead. If that the true cost I could have added a few extra details. I'm so confused, why would the price be different.
    @EEtheride the cost in the Gallery does not include the lot price because the house can be put on different lots that cost different prices. If you download a house from the Gallery you are only getting the house and landscaping, the sims have to pay for the lot in addition to the house.
    @benlow11 Thanks I didn't realize that.
    Kudos to those of you who have finished already - I don't know how you do it! I'm still trying to decide on the architecture. :p
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    I've only gotten as far as a a 'shell' of a house with tentative interior walls (the placement will probably change a lot when I start putting in furnishings). I did put down some random flooring and wall coverings and exterior siding that may change - it's just to sort of remind myself of the budget so I'm not caught short at the end - and I'm already well over a third of the way done with the budget. That's without the first stick of furniture or any landscaping at all, lol.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • CreepsaCreepsa Posts: 30 Member
    So I was wondering... How do you landscape in colonial style? Tried to google it but I'm not sure what is right and what is not. Could anybody please show me an example or describe please?
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited October 2014
    @Creepsa from what I found when I googled it: this style seems to consist mainly of flower/shrubbery beds lining the front of the house and walkways. I also see a few ornamental trees.
    Post edited by Carewren123 on
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    benlow11 wrote: »
    @EEtheride the cost in the Gallery does not include the lot price because the house can be put on different lots that cost different prices. If you download a house from the Gallery you are only getting the house and landscaping, the sims have to pay for the lot in addition to the house.

And that's why it's better to have the gallery price for these challenges and have us choose the lot, though the size can be set.
  • celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    edited October 2014
    traditional-exterior.jpg

Traditional Colonial Landscaping is about the lawn while complimenting the house. You will have a walkway to the front porch line with flower beds and the shrubs along the front. The trees that are plant are either on the sides and/or back of the house or approx. half mile away from the house in the front, or small trees are planted in the front. The landscaping is supposed to enhance the hugeness and royalty-like appearance.

On a personal note, I find this style coldly strategic due to the lack of flowers. Just remember, it's all about the grass and the house
    @keshialee and @EEtheridge, I have just now completed my house too! Came a good fair under budget thanks to the use of minimalist kind of modern style and the traditional colonial landscaping. Now to move onto screenshooting the Olsen's and the house. I am not entering for the room challenge, I do not have the confidence for that part.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone comes out! Remember, we have nearly two weeks to complete this challenge, so don't rush unless you wait till the last second. lol
    Question guys and girls, the room challenge, does that 15k come out of the 100,000 budget or is it separate?
    Creepsa wrote: »
    So I was wondering... How do you landscape in colonial style? Tried to google it but I'm not sure what is right and what is not. Could anybody please show me an example or describe please?

So, there are a lot of different colonial styles, for me being from Australia I have chosen Australian Colonial :)
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    Challenge #: 3
    Forum ID: benlow11
    Origin ID: benlow11
    Sim: Don and Judy Olsen
    Lot: Olsen's Modern Colonial

Entry Details:
    Lot size: 50x50
    Lot type: Residential
    Price: $99,872
    Contains some of the Sims 3 plumbob reward lamps

Description:
    Lot: Olsen's Modern Colonial features 2 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen, workshop, and a gym. There is also seating in the front porch area, as well as a grill and seating in the back patio area. I could not do as much with the yard as I would have liked, but there needed to be space left anyways, right?... :D I forgot to add an outdoor trash can, but there's money left to do that...I tried to use Don and Judy's favorite colors in their personal spaces, so the workshop is mostly brown and the gym has blue. There is also blue and brown throughout most of the house. The guest bedroom is green and brown so that both men and women would be comfortable. And of course the master bathroom has a nice big soaking tub for Don. I've never intentionally built a colonial home or done colonial style landscaping, so hopefully my lot is colonial enough :D . I tend to build my lots in the modern style so the inside was within my comfort zone, while the outside was definitely a bit outside of it.

Sims: Don-Don has the painter extraordinaire aspiration since he likes woodworking. He has the perfectionist, art lover, and active traits.
    Judy-Judy has the master chef aspiration. She has the active, foodie, and family oriented traits. I made them both adults since the description said that Don was balding. I know some young adults go bald early, but I figured it was best to have them as adults/middle aged.

Credit for CC/Recolors: None
    I love how you used the fencing on the front, @benlow11
    @celdys0n Thank you! It was a bit of a hassle. :D
  • onikisuonikisu Posts: 12 New Member
    edited October 2014
    > They look startled, then smile back. The woman strikes you as a very warm and friendly person, with sunny blonde hair and bright blue eyes. “Oh! How nice!” She says in a playful voice. Her husband smiles, “Great welcome.” Already balding and possessed of a close cropped bead, his eyes are just a blue and project a calm steadiness that make you feel like you’re reunited with an old friend.

Uhmm... what is a close cropped bead?
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    @onikisu I'm guessing it was supposed to read "close cropped beard".
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • misscbongmisscbong Posts: 736 Member
    Question about budget and posting final cost: Are we posting the final cost we see in game, and NOT the gallery cost?

I may have messed up on Challenge #2, as my in game cost was less than me gallery cost for some reason.
    Missc, I think the best way to keep track of it is your in game price *before* you move a sim on the lot to test. I would get all of the building done, look at the price, and save. Then I'd move a sim in to test, but if any changes were needed, I'd reload my save and make them without putting a sim on the lot. Putting a sim on the lot will depreciate it, but as long as you haven't done that, the price you see in game should be the correct price. The gallery price will be too low, as it won't account for the 10K cost of the lot.
  • TwilaniteTwilanite Posts: 53 Member
    Just thought I would share they added Ghosts back in the game.... As well a few things I am happy about......
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-sims-4-updates/

and I missed the 2nd Challenge due to RL had the build done just no pics...... But plan uploading to gallery anyway soon so if anyone is interested to look they still can. ~Twilanite

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top